Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Australia is the 6th Largest country in the world and has relatively little to show for it.
It was first settled by Europeans in 1788, but Australian Indigenous people has been here for tens of thousands of years. It has no land borders but it is close to Indonesia to the North and New Zealand to the East.
Despite it's largely unintelligent population, Australia has the 14th highest GDP in the world. Its main exports are coal, iron ore and Hemsworth brothers. Despite it being relatively sparsely populated by 25 million people, it has some of the most unaffordable real estate in the world.
The main language spoken is English, however the distinctive slang and accent make it impossible to understand for speakers of other English dialects.

Questions

What does "throw another shrimp on the Barbie mean"?

Barbie is slang for barbecue. An Australian would never say shrimp, this was an Americanism used in a television advertisement in America. In Australia they are called prawns.

Are you a bunch of drunkards that drink fosters all the time?

While we are often drunk, you won't find anyone drinking Fosters here, I think that went out in the 80s. You can still find it for sale if you look hard enough.

Do you ride kangaroos?

I have never been able to catch one.

Will all the animals kill you?

The danger posed to you by the wildlife is largely overstated, but drop bears are absolutely real and not to be messed with.

Is everybody racist?

Sadly yes

What's the deal with Tasmania?

Incest

That's all for now, but as someone with decades of experience of being Australian, i'm sure I will be able to answer any questions you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
What sort of culinary delicacies come from Australia?

Where can I get good weed?

Do you use the euro or the pound?

What's with the video game censorship?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Bunnings snags, you can't, dollars, and boomers

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I used to think Australia was a bunch of swamps because of Crocodile Dundee. Crocodiles live in swamps, right? Then I read the outback is mostly desert. Which is it?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Also, how do you feel about Outback Steakhouse and Subaru Outbacks?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What's with the series of MPs that backstab the prime minister and then have the electorate endorse their action in the next election?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BluesShaman posted:

Basically none. There are some flavours of snack foods we have that aren't widely available in other countries, but that's about it. If you go on YouTube and search for "try Australian snacks" you can find videos of mostly Americans eating Australian lollies and chips.

There are some things that people will claim are uniquely Australian but they're mostly just slight variations on things that already existed (eg. Vegemite; Halal Snack Pack) or are actually just things that are really from other countries.

The Grey posted:

I don't think we have Outback Steakhouses here. They seem like they decided on the theme after they'd already picked the menu. I hear they're known for "Bloomin Onions" which is a thing I've seen in Australia but only at an American-themed restaurant - I must admit though that I haven't really looked. Are they marketed as a foreign food everywhere or is there some country that is actually willing to claim them?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BluesShaman posted:

Where can I get good weed?

Do you use the euro or the pound?

What's with the video game censorship?

Vegemite

Isaac says KFC car park.

The Slombagian buckerooni

We don't really do that anymore.

The Grey posted:

I used to think Australia was a bunch of swamps because of Crocodile Dundee. Crocodiles live in swamps, right? Then I read the outback is mostly desert. Which is it?

I can't find a good map, but yes when Australia has a lot of different landforms. Around the centre of the country there's a lot of desert. The swamps you are describing (where the crocodiles live) are mostly in the far north.

The Grey posted:

Subaru had to avoid using the word "Legacy" because of a prominent charity for war veterans named Legacy, and you know, we did fight the Japanese in WW2. So we get names like the Liberty or the Outback instead. Sensitivity about the war was also the reason Nissan was called Datsun for a while.

I have never been to an Outback Steakhouse, I doubt there is anything authentically Australian about it. We like steak in Australia but so does everything else.

Jaguars! posted:

What's with the series of MPs that backstab the prime minister and then have the electorate endorse their action in the next election?

We have an opinion poll that comes out every two weeks that dominates the news cycle. Over the past 6 or so years, it has show imminent doom at the election for the incumbent government. Then at the last election (a few weeks ago) they won comfortably, despite the opinion poll predicting they would lose heavily.

It was this fear of electoral doom that motivated so many political assassinations I think, now that the opinion polls have no credibility people will settle down.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
we're all going to die. we're all going to loving die

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Despite it being relatively sparsely populated by 25 million people, it has some of the most unaffordable real estate in the world.

Why is this?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What is your favorite Australian movie?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Grey posted:

The Castle, I guess? Or maybe Gallipoli? Australian movies are almost universally awful.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Grey posted:

Why is this?

Giant speculative bubble fuelled by cheap credit and tax incentives that distort the market.

The Grey posted:

Does Mad Max Fury Road count?

nankeen posted:

we're all going to die. we're all going to loving die

Yes

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why are the lnp so openly corrupt op

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So uh, just how bad is your internet? Up/down averages and maximums, data caps, pricing, etc.

Just curious, because as a Canadian, I was of the belief that you were the only western/Commonwealth nation worse than us until possibly recently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

So uh, just how bad is your internet? Up/down averages and maximums, data caps, pricing, etc.

I just ran a speed test and got 4.63Mbps down, 1Mbps up, for which I pay $70/month with a 250GB download limit. I'm on mobile broadband, which I switched to from ADSL because it was faster, but it's also more expensive - and I didn't have a download limit on ADSL. If NBN was available in this area then that would be faster still - and cheaper - but, well, it was supposed to be available here about 18 months ago and I haven't heard anything from them since some time last year. Their website currently says "more work required" and that it's expected to be done by June next year - by which time I'll probably be living somewhere else anyway - and offers no further details.

But it really depends where you live. You might be on NBN (which is actually a number of different things depending on where you live), mobile, or ADSL, and the speed and reliability also vary.

Also, I don't really know how good internet is in other countries to make the comparison.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Lived in the Alice for 4 years had a good time there and traveling the rest of the country. Go Crows! Thanks for listening to my Australia story.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mister Facetious posted:

Just curious, because as a Canadian, I was of the belief that you were the only western/Commonwealth nation worse than us until possibly recently.

Worse than Kenya

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I kind of like the idea of emigrating from Canada to Australia for a year or so to do medical stuff somewhere. I've never been to Australia before. I was thinking of somewhere around Darwin, or somewhere around Perth or Alice Springs. Smaller city, more rural, tropical/arid climates. What are the thoughts of Australian goons on this? Are these places unbearable shitholes? Are medical services direly underfunded in these areas?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lassitude posted:

Darwin, or somewhere around Perth or Alice Springs

Well, they're all a million miles from anywhere. If it's a small town/city you're after there are others that are closer to Melbourne or Sydney. And if you're talking about a "smaller city", you might not be aware of just how small Alice Springs is. It has a population of 23,000. It's about 2km wide. There is literally nothing to do there and no one to do it with.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah I live in Canada's more rural north and am mostly interested in these places for hiking and camping and stuff in weird new environments. A million miles from anywhere is how I do. But if anyone has any idea about the healthcare situation around these areas too that'd be swell.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Tiggum posted:

There is literally nothing to do there and no one to do it with.

Don't listen to this guy.

Alice Springs is fine. It is, however, like living on an island though. There is quite a lot of work for medical fields there. A decent sized hospital and also an RFDS base. plus all of the traveling medical opportunities if you want to do work for the remote/indigenous communities.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lassitude posted:

I kind of like the idea of emigrating from Canada to Australia for a year or so to do medical stuff somewhere. I've never been to Australia before. I was thinking of somewhere around Darwin, or somewhere around Perth or Alice Springs. Smaller city, more rural, tropical/arid climates. What are the thoughts of Australian goons on this? Are these places unbearable shitholes? Are medical services direly underfunded in these areas?

My mum worked for a few years in the Darwin Hospital and in remote indigenous communities so I might be able to help.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Darwin has a downside. If you wanna get in the water, you have to go the fake beach/wave pool that’s near the real ocean. You’re in croc territory up there and will get eaten.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Darwin has a downside. If you wanna get in the water, you have to go the fake beach/wave pool that’s near the real ocean. You’re in croc territory up there and will get eaten.

Or sharks.

Or Jellyfish:

quote:

Signs and symptoms
If you are stung you may or may not feel a mild pain at the sting site and develop a goosebump-like skin reaction. After about 30 to 45 minutes symptoms worsen to include:

severe limb, abdominal and back pain
anxiety
headache
vomiting
profuse sweating
sometimes difficulty breathing.
Your heart rate may become very rapid and your blood pressure may become very high. In extreme cases, heart failure, swelling of the brain and death may result.

In some cases the symptoms resolve in a matter of hours, but many patients need to go to hospital to recover from symptoms over several days. Complications from envenomation may continue for several days to weeks.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Or sharks.

Or Jellyfish:

Yeah, those are everywhere though. Big crocs are more Darwin and far north specific. Western brown snakes too and all the other little things.

Or sharks.

Or Jellyfish:

Right, but those are everywhere. I was just mentioning the crocs because they are more localized to Darwin and the far north.

All in all though, I preferred Alice over Darwin because Alice is 0% humidity and Darwin has all of it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 8, 2019

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Why are you all so chill about your insane island concentration camps? Like the casual racism is one thing but they're some next level poo poo

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Why are you all so chill about your insane island concentration camps? Like the casual racism is one thing but they're some next level poo poo

There’s nothing casual about the racism in oz.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

There’s nothing casual about the racism in oz.

For real. I've met people from most countries on the planet, and Australians are far and away the most consistently racist I can think of. Individual South Africans have been worse, maybe, but in terms of overall hitrate it's hands down.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Fair point, I just wanted to ask without being 100% a dick about it

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Tiggum posted:

The Castle, I guess? Or maybe Gallipoli? Australian movies are almost universally awful.

I generally enjoyed The Proposition. The whipping sequence was so incredibly awful.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
So if Foster's is just beer crudely marketed to foreigners that Australians don't touch...what are the major brews there and most importantly what is their image (like what's the trailer trash beer, that sort of thing).

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

So if Foster's is just beer crudely marketed to foreigners that Australians don't touch...what are the major brews there and most importantly what is their image (like what's the trailer trash beer, that sort of thing).

VB

Justin Godscock posted:

Regional thing. VB or maybe 4X....

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Remember that goon that faked an Australian accent to seem interesting and attractive to get a girlfriend? Is the opposite thing in effect in Australia? Like do American accents have any appeal at all down there?

I've always wondered about that. Also if anyone has that thread please link it I can't find it, I think it was an E/N thread.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why isn't there a city on the Ashburton river?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

The most popular major brands are probably

Garbage beer for garbage people: VB, XXXX, Carlton
Generic beer that people mostly won't object to: Corona, Coopers, James Boag's, Crown
Actually not terrible: James Squire

But there are way more brands than that widely available, as well as all the more niche and limited options.

CongoJack posted:

Remember that goon that faked an Australian accent to seem interesting and attractive to get a girlfriend? Is the opposite thing in effect in Australia? Like do American accents have any appeal at all down there?
I think American accents are maybe more likely to get a negative reaction than positive, but I don't think many people would care one way or the other. Most of us watch a lot of American TV and movies so we're pretty used to American voices. I don't know of any accent that's widely considered appealing in general, but I haven't done a survey or anything.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Grey posted:

Wake in Fright, Snowtown and Bad Boy Bubby

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tiggum posted:

The most popular major brands are probably

Garbage beer for garbage people: VB, XXXX, Carlton
Generic beer that people mostly won't object to: Corona, Coopers, James Boag's, Crown
Actually not terrible: James Squire

But there are way more brands than that widely available, as well as all the more niche and limited options.

VB is garbage as is Carlton.

XXXX is fine. Great Northern is the off.the shelf mass produced beer of choice.

James Squire is bad.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Frankly they're just media suppressed to the poo poo house 99% of the time

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 11, 2019

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Gridlocked posted:

VB is garbage as is Carlton.

XXXX is fine. Great Northern is the off.the shelf mass produced beer of choice.

James Squire is bad.

Frankly they're just media suppressed to the poo poo house 99% of the time

Is that xxxx as in Castlemain? We had that in the UK until like 10 years ago then I guess Fosters won or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Is that xxxx as in Castlemain?

Yep. The company is named Castlemaine Perkins Brewery but the beers are branded XXXX (pronounced 4X).