Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does anyone read Nevil Shute anymore? Do kids have to read him in school or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Anne Whateley posted:

Does anyone read Nevil Shute anymore? Do kids have to read him in school or something?

Never heard of him. :shrug:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Anne Whateley posted:

They made a Television movie version of on the beach in 2000. It’s on YouTube in 10 minute parts.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How come Melbourne still has half the AFL playing in their city, and why does Canberra not have a team?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

How come Melbourne still has half the AFL playing in their city, and why does Canberra not have a team?

AFL was originally a Victorian sport and is still most popular in Victoria by a lot. Other states prefer rugby.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Edward Mass posted:

Theres like 20 people in canberra

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tiggum posted:

AFL was originally a Victorian sport and is still most popular in Victoria by a lot. Other states prefer rugby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line

underage at the vape shop posted:

Theres like 20 people in canberra

and 19 of them are out of shape politicians.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I live in canberra its a nice place

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Isaac posted:

I live in canberra its a nice place

That's not true

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No, I believe he lives there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tiggum posted:

No, I believe he lives there.

I mean the second part of that sentence.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean it is nice but its no Queanbeyan

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CongoJack posted:

Remember that goon that faked an Australian accent to seem interesting and attractive to get a girlfriend? Is the opposite thing in effect in Australia? Like do American accents have any appeal at all down there?

I've always wondered about that. Also if anyone has that thread please link it I can't find it, I think it was an E/N thread.

In my experience, most American accents are perceived pretty neutrally in Europe, Australia, and NZ. American media is everywhere so people worldwide are used to hearing American accents and it's not anything remarkable.

The big exception are Southern drawls. If you've got a thick Southern accent, that gets a negative reaction a lot of the time. Of course that's also true within the US, Southern accents aren't seen positively outside the actual South.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
Years ago, I was in Australia - I think it was somewhere near Byron Bay - and a local invited me to join him in tucking into a giant, puckered lemon that he plucked from a bush near the roadside. It looked like something you would find in a radioactive wasteland. As I was only eighteen at the time and prone to peer pressure, I accepted his offer with the kind of muttered resignation that only an Englishman can offer. It was exactly like eating a giant, freakish lemon when you definitely do not want to.

So my question is, do Australians in general go around eating giant lemons for pleasure? He genuinely seemed to enjoy his snack, but given that he was also a towering crusty with metre long dreadlocks, I thought it might be a habit reserved for your more outdoorsy, feral types. I'm also aware that he may have just been loving with me, so I'm wondering if this is another bit of classic Aussie banter that gets rolled out for the tourists, along the lines of your dropbears and whatnot?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

sammyv posted:

He genuinely seemed to enjoy his snack, but given that he was also a towering crusty with metre long dreadlocks, I thought it might be a habit reserved for your more outdoorsy, feral types.

Spot on i'd say

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So following up, how are the bugs in the more rural places, specifically Western and Northern Territory? I'm guessing in the actual north they're fairly bad, but what about the arid parts? Are there botflies or the like? Any other flying/biting insects? I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos/black flies/etc. in northern/rural Canada so I'm curious to compare how 'problematic' flying insects are for the oudoorsy types.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I mean we have house flies in Australia but they don’t bite, they’re just annoying. Mosquitos are around too and will bite you, but you aren’t going to get malaria.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dont camp too close to a river and you'll be fine

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Lassitude posted:

So following up, how are the bugs in the more rural places, specifically Western and Northern Territory? I'm guessing in the actual north they're fairly bad, but what about the arid parts? Are there botflies or the like? Any other flying/biting insects? I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos/black flies/etc. in northern/rural Canada so I'm curious to compare how 'problematic' flying insects are for the oudoorsy types.

Flies get pretty extreme in the desert, but not deadly. You just learn to talk through teeth a bit more. Plenty of bigger bugs to eat the annoying ones. Nothing else flying wise really comes to mind.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

CongoJack posted:

Remember that goon that faked an Australian accent to seem interesting and attractive to get a girlfriend? Is the opposite thing in effect in Australia? Like do American accents have any appeal at all down there?

I've always wondered about that. Also if anyone has that thread please link it I can't find it, I think it was an E/N thread.

Can't speak for modern people, but historically yes absolutely. During WW2 there were riots over American soldiers stationed in Brisbane stealing all the Australian women.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dont camp too close to a river and you'll be fine

Midges I'm guessing?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Lassitude posted:

Depends what time of year you're there, they can be terrible after the wet up north. Nothing like botflies but March flies give a painful nip and Ross River Virus is really nasty to get and incurable, a mate of mine picked it up while drilling.

Arid parts have flies and blowflies proportional to the concentration of livestock in that area; there's always a few around. Sometimes there's a few hundred.

The more temperate areas have a negligible nuisance insect presence. Mosquitoes and sandflies (kinda like black flies) are bad in some areas near wetlands but nothing like Canada from what I've heard. Ticks are avoidable enough but can cause Tick Paralysis in some areas. There's plenty of outdoors to explore where insects won't ruin the experience.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lassitude posted:

Midges I'm guessing?

All the poo poo bugs live near water, leeches too

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Sausages posted:

Ross River Virus is really nasty to get and incurable, a mate of mine picked it up while drilling.

I caught Ross river when I was down in Albany, Wa. It loving sucks, do not recommend.

In the other hand, I lost 10kg in two weeks because I couldn't eat anything dry.

Moral of the story is: don't try to hand tame bandicoots that live in your backyard while you have a garden pond.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

1. What is the average Austialian's opinion of America?

2. What does the average Australian think the average American's opinion of Australia is?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

1. What is the average Austialian's opinion of America?

2. What does the average Australian think the average American's opinion of Australia is?

Individually, mostly fine. As a nation, dumb as loving rocks, warmongers and generally bad.

Honestly, don't care.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You never shut the gently caress up about trump. Every conversation with an American is about loving trump. Shut up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

You never shut the gently caress up about trump. Every conversation with an American is about loving trump. Shut up.

In america, the more rural and backwards you are, the more your vote generally counts due to crazy election law.

Therefore the americans who do leave their country and travel (city folk) are almost exclusively anti-trump, and they feel judged by the rest of the world (as they should) so they feel the constant insecure need to say how much they hate trump when overseas.

That being said, you would be surprised how much WE get asked about trump when overseas, so it reinforces the idea that everyone cares and wants to talk about it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Taima posted:

In america, the more rural and backwards you are, the more your vote generally counts due to crazy election law.

Yep

quote:

Therefore the americans who do leave their country and travel (city folk) are almost exclusively anti-trump, and they feel judged by the rest of the world (as they should)

Yep

quote:

so they feel the constant insecure need to say how much they hate trump when overseas.

I at least don’t say where I’m from unless asked and feel visibly ashamed when admitting such. I never bring up the orange one.

quote:

That being said, you would be surprised how much WE get asked about trump when overseas, so it reinforces the idea that everyone cares and wants to talk about it.

Thankfully when I visited Japan the most American the conversations got was talking about basketball.

On topic: my childhood dream has been to take the Indian Pacific from coast to coast.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Americans seem to think Australia is full of vicious wildlife that will attack you for no reason and all Australians are therefore rugged adventurers who laugh in the face of death.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Americans seem to think Australia is full of vicious wildlife that will attack you for no reason and all Australians are therefore rugged adventurers who laugh in the face of death.

when in reality, Aussies aren't all that much different from Americans culturally

they're just more drunk and rowdy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
So how do kangaroos and wallabies work? Is it when a bloke shags a dingo you get a kangaroo and when a sheila roots a dingo you get a wallabie or is it the other way around?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Weka posted:

So how do kangaroos and wallabies work? Is it when a bloke shags a dingo you get a kangaroo and when a sheila roots a dingo you get a wallabie or is it the other way around?

Yes

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Last Friday I was told by a white Australian woman that Australia is a post-colonial country (and she was definitely including white people in that, and it wasn't primarily a comment about the oppression of aboriginal Australians). Is that something that other Australians think?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

Last Friday I was told by a white Australian woman that Australia is a post-colonial country (and she was definitely including white people in that, and it wasn't primarily a comment about the oppression of aboriginal Australians). Is that something that other Australians think?

I don't know what that means. Like, postcolonialism is the academic term for studying the effects of "colonisation", right? So what would it mean for a country to be... that?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what that means. Like, postcolonialism is the academic term for studying the effects of "colonisation", right? So what would it mean for a country to be... that?

It's also used for people or cultures who live with the effects of that colonisation even after achieving self government. So India or Nigeria are post colonial countries. I think applying it to a majority white country like Australia sounds like some bullshit to me, but I was interested if it is a common viewpoint.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mr Enderby posted:

It's also used for people or cultures who live with the effects of that colonisation even after achieving self government. So India or Nigeria are post colonial countries. I think applying it to a majority white country like Australia sounds like some bullshit to me, but I was interested if it is a common viewpoint.

I doubt many Australians even think about the colonised peoples here before Europeans. Either we think they are welfare scum, alcoholics or we feel bad but don’t vote to do anything about it. Think like New England being ultra progressive and talks about race relations but no black people live there. Likewise in Australia- I live in Melbourne, which regularly votes hard left but the indigenous population is less than 1% here.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mr Enderby posted:

If you mean do non-indigenous Australians think that indigenous Australians are or should be in charge of government then absolutely not. Australia's racism gets turned up to 11 when the topic of indigenous people comes up. Imagine all the racism Black people get in America PLUS the racism towards native Americans plus a little extra for good measure all directed at one group.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Is fresh water fishing a thing in Australia? If so, for what species?