Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Is fresh water fishing a thing in Australia? If so, for what species?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wV6_GiMR8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Depends on the river, generally.

Cant say much about anything over east other than lol if you are trying to fish in the murray/darling.

Up north I think you can get some barra in fresh water. In the west most of the rivers have been taken over by bream, but you still get some nice trout here and there, and the odd mulloway.

https://ilovefishing.com.au has a bunch of info about fishing in WA both fresh and saltwater.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
In Tasmania it's mostly trout and atlantic salmon.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
So is the Eureka flag racist or not? Like, more than normal for Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

grassy gnoll posted:

Sometimes. I would certainly be suspicious of anyone flying it, but not as suspicious as if they were flying the actual Australian flag. In case any Americans are confused, if you're not working for the government then pretty much the only reason anyone displays an Australian flag is to signal how racist they are (ie. very). The Eureka Flag is used by racists as well, but it's also used by others, so it's a less certain sign.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes. I would certainly be suspicious of anyone flying it, but not as suspicious as if they were flying the actual Australian flag. In case any Americans are confused, if you're not working for the government then pretty much the only reason anyone displays an Australian flag is to signal how racist they are (ie. very). The Eureka Flag is used by racists as well, but it's also used by others, so it's a less certain sign.

That sounds like the opposite of the U.S.

Fly the American flag, you might be racist, the confederate flag, you probably are.

Are there real "bushman" types like Crocodile Dundee? Or is that just a stereotype that "guy from outback = crocodile man"?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I've found a documentary describing the modern Australian bushman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wV6_GiMR8s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Are there real "bushman" types like Crocodile Dundee?
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: there are people who are more like that than the average city-dweller, but it's an exaggeration of a stereotype.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Eureka Flag is a symbol of the labour movement and unionism. Some racists unfortunately want to make it their own confederate flag but it goes to show how ignorant they are. If I see the flag at a work site then it's certainly a good thing. If I see it on a car/ute then it's 50/50 about the intention of the driver.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What is your opinion on Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter? Also was his accent real or put on?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What is your opinion on Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter? Also was his accent real or put on?

A national treasure who was not appreciated enough in his time.

Mostly real but slightly exaggerated, but that came more from his sheer enthusiasm than anything else.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Honestly he was a lot more popular in America than Australia.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Guy I went to college with, was from OZ. THis was during the time his show was on and he was all "yeah mate, we all think he's a oval office".

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Couldn't stand him then, can't stand his family now. Sorry he died though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Barramundi.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

carp

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

What is 'smoko' and can I get some, or do I need a mullet for that?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Molentik posted:

What is 'smoko' and can I get some, or do I need a mullet for that?

It's short for smoke break or cigarette break. You don't need a mullet but it helps.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hey OP, who is your favourite genius?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Inceltown posted:

Hey OP, who is your favourite genius?

Kanye

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OP is not an Aussie. Everyone knows that the only choice is James Hird or James Joyce. :gas:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Inceltown posted:

OP is not an Aussie. Everyone knows that the only choice is James Hird or James Joyce. :gas:

James Hird got his 'supplements' from a guy named Stephen Dank

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

James Hird got his 'supplements' from a guy named Stephen Dank

Stephen Dank sounds like the weed dealer from a Seth Rogen movie.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Inceltown posted:

Stephen Dank sounds like the weed dealer from a Seth Rogen movie.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Guy I went to college with, was from OZ. THis was during the time his show was on and he was all "yeah mate, we all think he's a oval office".

He was big in the USA before Australia. He kind of came out of nowhere and a lot of people were put off initially by how overly dramatic the show was and the whole ocker minstrel show persona, most people's point of reference for that kind of television was Malcolm Douglas. That changed with time though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What are the main differences between the regions and cities? Australia always feels like one giant amorphous blob so I’m always surprised when people say that parts of it are very different.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What are the main differences between the regions and cities? Australia always feels like one giant amorphous blob so I’m always surprised when people say that parts of it are very different.

There aren't any major differences. There are definitely minor differences and people talk them up, but Australia is way more homogeneous than a lot of other countries. The biggest differences are basically just climate and sports.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

the old houses and buildings in melbourne are nicer cause thats where the rich brits went and thats about it. the cities are only hugely different if you've never left australia in your life

like take europe right, you can fit like 12 european countries inside of queensland that all have majorly different history, culture and architectural style, going back (sometimes) thousands of years. then you have australia where the vast majority of buildings were built by the same culture in the last 50 years. its just a lot of glass skyscrapers and some kinda off looking kinda cheap in comparison europeanish buildings from when we wanted to be fancy.

you gotta remember we only got federated as a nation in 1901 and were mostly uniformly british settlers. our population is very uniform, so is our culture.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 13, 2019

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PmlMv5givwQ

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyF5HV-B-0

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Getting back to beer chat, where does Tooey's fall on the scale? I think that's what I was drinking when I visit the Sunshine Coast 10 years ago.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Hows anti-social behaviour in general? I hear meth is a big problem there the past few years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Getting back to beer chat, where does Tooey's fall on the scale? I think that's what I was drinking when I visit the Sunshine Coast 10 years ago.
It's an utterly generic lager of the kind preferred by old men who "just want beer that tastes like beer".

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once my boss gave me some money to buy us a sixpack after work and I showed up with a sixpack of tooheys and he just said ''keep them'' and got in his car and left.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Real Amethyst posted:

Hows anti-social behaviour in general? I hear meth is a big problem there the past few years.

Meth is still an issue, if you are a white dude you will probably be ok, if you are brown you are probably going to cop a bit, especially in the country

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Toohey's Extra Dry is not expensive or the worst tasting beer available.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't there a city on the Ashburton river?

Look at the satellite imagery of the area. It's a shithole with no redeeming features. The soil is a few billions years old and leached of any nutrients, it's no good as a port, the river can't be navigated and its not on the way to anywhere but even worse places. Before you get any clever ideas nearby Onslow is also a shithole.

Don't get me wrong, most of the country has a certain savage beauty but you wouldn't want to live in the outback for more than 6-12 months before losing your mind. Imagine moving to a tiny shithole in the middle of Nevada, but instead of Vegas being a few hours away the nearest city is a few days away. Also the nearest city is Perth, the culturally bankrupt biggest small town in the country.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 4, 2019

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Mention of good beers on the first page and not mentioning Emu Export.

Clear anti-West Australian Bias tbh.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Horsebanger posted:

Mention of good beers on the first page and not mentioning Emu Export.

Clear anti-West Australian Bias tbh.

As someone who is a borderline Alco and Perth native, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

that's because they were talking about good beers