Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

for my gaming computer

whats a good case these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
you dont want to cheap out for important gaming. buy a new mac pro and throw away the contents

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's this one op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Cooler Master HAF X

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
gut a silicon graphics tezro cube.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's this one op

this is an excellent choice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lian li or fractal design if u poorer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

look at this poo poo. aw yiss

https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-0020-00063?Description=lian%20li&cm_re=lian_li-_-9SIAFST97N7047-_-Product

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I have a coolermaster n400 new in box that I don't need please get it out of my apartment

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
op have you considered making a funny computer case and posting it on reddit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

I have a coolermaster n400 new in box that I don't need please get it out of my apartment

same but used and a 350d

i might stuff a hackintosh into it someday but idk

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
get a fractal design Meshify C without tempered glass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m interested in the kinda of things you do to make pc quieter

bigger fans vs better fans vs more fans

my old radeon r9 270 wasn’t too bad, but gtx 1060 6gb has only one fan so gets noisier when it gets going

processor has one of those big third party heat sinks with big sideways fan on it

without moving to water cooling i doubt i can make pc and gpu run cooler but i suspect i could overall change case to a much cooler design with bigger and more fans and maybe quieter ideally

and also wonder if there is some way to attaché a dust filter to something? i’ve noticed pcs basically take all the dust from
the whole room and push it out the back and make a mess of that part of the room. is there a solution to that? just have three big fans at the back all pulling air out of the case and ventilate to outside 🥰

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

echinopsis posted:

my old radeon r9 270 wasn’t too bad, but gtx 1060 6gb has only one fan so gets noisier when it gets going

processor has one of those big third party heat sinks with big sideways fan on it

without moving to water cooling i doubt i can make pc and gpu run cooler but i suspect i could overall change case to a much cooler design with bigger and more fans and maybe quieter ideally

and also wonder if there is some way to attaché a dust filter to something? i’ve noticed pcs basically take all the dust from
the whole room and push it out the back and make a mess of that part of the room. is there a solution to that? just have three big fans at the back all pulling air out of the case and ventilate to outside 🥰

u probably want a premade work station thingy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the one that catches fire a lot and comes preloaded with illegal drug paraphernalia

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the one that catches fire a lot and comes preloaded with illegal drug paraphernalia

idk but this post made me realise a good computer case would be to buy a tesla and rip out its lovely computer and put your own in there. cover the windshield with monitors or something. you’ll be the envy of all your friends with this craft project

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

u probably want a premade work station thingy

🤷‍♂️ but i already have all the motherboard and other junk

processors haven’t really gotten any better huh i think i have a 4770 like to upgrade would not be cost effective at all

also i reckon one of my ram sticks is hosed, it won’t post if it’s hosed huh like it i try one at a time and it won’t post it means it’s dead. will it matter what slot it’s in?

blows me away how flexible modern motherboards are and how like they can do on their own. the bios should be able to enter setup with no ram i reckon and there are no excises for bios janitors to not make this work

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

incredibly disappointed this isn't the train case

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

big fans good. get a 140mm slowfan up front if you can

cases really don't need a hundred fans to have effective, quiet cooling. a big one up front and a 120mm or so for the exhaust is all that's necessary. anything more is :pcgaming: nonsense

regarding dust, a lot of cases will have a mesh grille up front that you can wipe/vacuum/rinse once a month. they're surprisingly effective. my last compute was essentially dust-free inside after two years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my computer case is made of dust

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

big fans good. get a 140mm slowfan up front if you can

cases really don't need a hundred fans to have effective, quiet cooling. a big one up front and a 120mm or so for the exhaust is all that's necessary. anything more is :pcgaming: nonsense

regarding dust, a lot of cases will have a mesh grille up front that you can wipe/vacuum/rinse once a month. they're surprisingly effective. my last compute was essentially dust-free inside after two years

mine's got a little filter plate you can slide out from the front and wipe off. yeah like you said it works surprisingly well. (also if you're concerned about dust intake, get your computer off the dang floor)

and yeah i've got the same arrangement, big fan up front, 120mm at the back. i don't even have a fan attached directly to the CPU heatsink any more (it started buzzing and i couldn't make it stop) so i figured the big noctua heatsink was big enough and the airflow decent enough that i could get away with it. so far it's worked great for me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i got one of these, it's worked well for me:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303

i yanked the drive cage because i didn't need it, which i think helps make for great airflow

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks like poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

looks like poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the design looks fished straight out of a shenzhen bargain bin

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it looks fine you nerds

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pram posted:

looks like poo poo

Tankakern posted:

the design looks fished straight out of a shenzhen bargain bin

cool, post your cases then

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nzxt h500

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

looks like poo poo

you must be new, we don’t sign our posts around here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lian li pc60, get one

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lian li pc60, get one

hell yeah

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

welp time to replace my previous monolith which was some antec layered in sound dampening and just inertly charcoal colored and plain

my lian li sits in a closet being heavy as poo poo and made of pure aluminum and 90 degree angles but shamefully loud and with a much maligned window since compusa didnt have the plain version available

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i went from this pc 65 to a p183 v3 and if anything the only reason to upgrade was sound and cable management but that new lian li looks heart solid rock touching

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ive always liked the gateway 2000 cases from the mid-90s

get one of those, op.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

anyone ever rig up a turbo button and led display to a modern pc?

i think i have a new project.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

cool, post your cases then

the fan perforations are ugly, but i got an old bog standard fractal

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/discontinued-products/define-r3-black-pearl

a lot better than that random-rounded-corners-and-silk-printing case though

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tankakern posted:

the fan perforations are ugly, but i got an old bog standard fractal

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/discontinued-products/define-r3-black-pearl

a lot better than that random-rounded-corners-and-silk-printing case though

got a white define r6 for my second machine, it's unassuming and really easy to work in, and i even finished without being covered in aluminum dust and cuts all over my hands from the sharp edges seriously what hte gently caress lian li