Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm looking for good, quick-paced but not overly dark thrillers/mysteries. I want mystery and hunting for clues and lots of nuts and bolts investigation, but I'd prefer to stay out of horror or too much violence for the moment. Period pieces always a plus just cause I like them.

My vision board is kind of like Michael Clayton, The Ghost Writer, Pale Blue Eye. With the understanding that the off-screen rape in The Pale Blue Eye is pushing it as far as the amount of dark I want. As much of the movie as reasonably practical should be focused on the mechanics of finding out the secret mysteries. Cool puzzles are always appreciated.

If it's on one of the big streaming services that's a giant plus cause I can watch it tonight, but I'm not married to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

therattle posted:

Have you seen the Glass Onion films?

O yeah. Of course. And all of Rian Johnson while we’re at it.

Knives Out should really be listed too now that you mention it. Thanks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

All the ones that I’m aware of, but you’re reminding that there must be a master list somewhere. And that’s a good source to check, I probably missed at least one or two.

Thanks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There’s some violence but it’s way more on the action end of the pole than horror. If Heat is the higher end of your tolerance, it should be a chunk less than that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Roumba posted:

Prince of Persia (2010) and The Mummy (1999) come to mind. Not the greatest movies of all time, but if they were "just on" I'd probably watch them again.

Yo The Mummy (1999) is a god drat treasure, don’t be a hater.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If this is uplifting I'd hate to see the stuff you find depressing!

Okay that’s a fair point.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Rewatched The Hateful Eight recently and got in the mood to watch some more westerns. I've seen the classics a million times, so any good recommendations for fairly recent releases? Of course I've seen Django Unchained, and loved Buster Scruggs.

Have you seen Unforgiven and The Quick and the Dead yet?

The 3:10 to Yuma remake is actually pretty dang fun too. Ben Foster parts his giant beard like the red sea and just starts shoveling scenery into his mouth.

edit : how did I read "Fairly recent" and then type poo poo that's almost as old as me. Well, I'm dumb but they're still the best westerns of the last 30 years.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Quick, I need a movie with a title that ends in "...of the Dead" or "...of the Living Dead" that was made in Central/South America, Australia/Oceania, or Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc) and is available free streaming online.

Quickly!

Juan of the Dead is a 2021 Cuban* zombie movie and I think it’s on Amazon.

Namaste, compadre.

*and Spanish but c’mon

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

perfect, thank you.

To be clear, I did that entirely via searching. The movie could be a hidden gem or absolute dogshit, I have no idea.

I just know the pain of wanting something that ticks two challenge boxes at the same time, and wanted to pass on the favor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

First, gently caress yeah Pandorum.

Second you should check out Underwater.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I saw Underwater in theaters and liked it a lot.

If there's some genuinely great movie like this I've missed, sure I'll start there, but I figured it's going to be more like ther Screamers of the world, the decent B movies.

Well then can I interest you in Virus (1999)?

It's objectively not a good movie (it even has a supernumerary Baldwin), but it does have a cyborged-up Donald Sutherland taking a thermite grenade to the chest.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Ive seen that one, but that's an excellent suggestion, exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Thank you!

You might like Anthropoid (2016), which is about the Czech-Slovak joint assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the dude who invented the Holocaust. Just dudes who really, really want to kill Nazis.

Cillian Murphy, Jaime Dornan and Toby mothafukkin Jones.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Recommend me some Peter Sellers movies.

I watched Being There over the weekend and loved it, and it gave me the itch to dig into the lesser-known movies.

I've seen the Kubricks. I've seen a few Clouseau capers but I don't remember any of them, so maybe a recommendation on where to stop with those would be fun.

I plan to work in The Ghost of Peter Sellers in there, but I feel like it would be more interesting after watching a few more films of his first.

The Mouse that Roared is my favorite Sellers.

Just a good ol’ fashioned comedy.

And Kind Hearts and Coronets if you just want him playing every role.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

but I believe you're mistaking Alec Guinness for him in Kind Hearts.

What no I can remember it so vividly I'm su - *trivial google*

Brains are weird yo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mothman’s not bad at all. Not amazing, but it’s a decent mildly spoopy time. I wouldn’t go nuts trying to find it or nothing, but if you have access and want two hours of Richard Gere investigating the Mothman, then you’ll have a pretty good time with it. Good camera and acting, script isn’t exactly visionary but more than functional.

Has probably the most plot important use of chapstick in cinema history.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi! I have a movie date night coming up and was looking for some good horror/thriller movies that are streaming. She's seen a lot of them so the more I can throw against the wall the better!

Lair of the White Worm (Tubi). It’s a 1988 British horror comedy with a baby Hugh Grant and it’s hilarious and raunchy. Lots of snake = penis jokes and Hugh Grant cuts an old woman in half with a claymore.

Run Sweetheart Run (Amazon). Feminist horror about a woman whose date is Satan. It’s a swing, but definitely something to talk about.

The Vast of Night (Amazon). Gorgeous and ambitiously shot grounded little period piece about young radio aficionados in the 1950’s chasing an alien transmission. The camera work is worth the price of admission alone.

Boston Strangler (Hulu). It’s Ridley Scott telling the story of the journalists chasing the Boston Strangler. It’s not amazing but it’s solid and very amusing.

Apostle (Netflix). Basically a period detective thriller that turns into Silent Hill by way of the Wicker Man. A dude is trying to rescue his sister from a creepy cult on a Welsh island.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, everyone watch Rob Roy if you haven’t.

Rob Roy rules. Best sword fight in cinema.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

buglord posted:

requesting movies that don't make you feel like poo-poo after. world is bleak and tough, need something that inspires hope, offers a way to look at things in a more positive light. it doesn't need to have political tones or relevance to the world today, it can just be "heres a story about a frog that wanted to be as big as a house and then did so" or "this goblin's family got killed by the heroes and here's how he made peace with that" or maybe its a movie you like that features cars but makes you feel like you can take on the world each time you finish it.

I might get some poo poo for this, and if so I will fight you but :

The Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

The Last of the Mohicans and Cold Mountain are two personal favorites.

More recently you have The Northman and 1917.

If you’re willing to get into outright horror you’ll find lots more fun bad endings and darkness. Ravenous is another favorite.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

I enjoyed Northman and 1917, thank you for the cold mountain rec!

The soundtrack is pretty righteous too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O then Slow West might be good for you too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I watched John Wick: Chapter 4, thought Donnie Yen was an obvious standout, and realized I'd only ever seen him in American movies (Wick, Rogue One, Blade II, etc.) where he's in a supporting role. What would be the best movies that really showcase his talent? I was particularly taken with how playful his fighting style was and would love to see more like that, but not asking for only that in the recommendations.

Yip Man.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Bonus : watch this while really, really high then rewatch it the next day.

It's like having 2 different movies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drive.
Knives Out.
Arrival.
The Raid.
Only God Forgives.
The Guest. (This borders horror)
The Power of the Dog.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Toss in The Wind Rises too.

You missed a Miyazaki, and it’s historical.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I even thought about throwing Only God Forgives on there and didn't.

Love that movie. With all the pink and Ryan Gosling, it's like a home preview of Barbie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Particularly melancholy film noir pre-70s? Slow, atmospheric, moody kinda stuff.

You need Le Samourai in your life. 1967, Alain Delon as a hitman with a code. It’s worth it just for the shots of his apartment.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for more movies like Bronson or Chopper where the main character is just completely loving unhinged in strange and/or unconventional ways. Emphasis on how how bizarre their insanity is, or how it doesn't fit into stereotypes of insanity or evil.

Obviously doesn't need to have a prison theme like those movies do.

You might get a kick out of Legend. Really that’s kind of Tom Hardy’s gimmick.

From a different lens, you might also like pretty much anything Nicolas Wending Refn has done. “Close in examination of hosed up people doing hosed up things” is kind his gimmick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Okay, wow, I thought the thread was suggesting Kung Fu Panda as a follow up to Cradle Will Rock because Jack Black is also in it. :doh:

I had the exact same thought.

Partially because The Cradle Will Rock is like 6 different movies mashed into each other.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm looking for films or TV shows that are similar to The Thing. Not necessarily horror or aliens, I'm leaning more towards cold weather, isolation, big parka coats and survival. The TV series Fortitude and the film Hold the Dark are pretty good examples of the kind of aesthetic I'm looking for.

Black Mountain Side is a pretty good (for its budget which is low) Lovecraftian horror film about Canadian archaeologists who discover an ancient black pyramid in the snow.

Also Ravenous which is about cannabalism and Western expansion in the 1840’s.

The first season of The Terror is about sailors iced in for years in sailboats, starving, going insane and getting eaten by a demonic polar bear. Stellar cast too.

I like horror set in the cold.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Big Mac posted:

I just watched Raw (2016) and it gave me a lot of the same kind of quiet dread and mystery that I got from It Follows. The slow build and soundtrack also, very wonderfully put together. Someone at the video store recommended I check out Sole Survivor, which brought a lot of the same stuff and I also enjoyed.
What else should I check out like this? I've got Titane on the list, from the director of Raw.

Where are you that has a video store but also films from 2016.

How much horror have you already watched? “Eerie, quiet dread” is basically its own sub-genre so there are looooooooads. The VVitch, Apostle, Older Gods, The Black Coat’s Daughter and The Empty Man is a partial list of personal favorite’s from the last 6 years, but you might want to just stop by the horror thread for more. (Or maybe even check out the October Challenge!)

Ninja : like, have you seen Halloween?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo, that’s another good reason to go to Portland.

Here’s a link to the horror thread. It’s super chill and open to everyone who likes a spooky good time.

You might like Oz Perkins’s stuff in general. He’s done other stuff besides Black Coat’s Daughter and they all rip. He always has strong visuals and has an excellent grasp of tension.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for movies set in or around World War 2 in Asia. Not documentaries (unless you've got a really good one to suggest.) China or India in particular would be great.

Do you care about anything besides the setting? It feels weird to answer both Ip Man and Hidden Blade. (Although both of those are pretty good in their genres)

Just to be clear : China during WWII was a loving bad place to be and none of those movies are super happy. You probably knew that, but getting blindsided by that would be bad enough I’ll err on the side of caution.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hit me up with the best romance movies you can think of.

They can be romance comedies, but they don't have to be.

The best romance film will always be Ang Lee’s Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson is delightful.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! would love Chainsaw Man with all his heart.

As to your other question Kvlt : check out 1917.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead has a really stacked cast and some crime hijinx told in a non-linear way. I'd call it a solid B over all, but if that's what you're looking for it's got Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney, Rosemary Harris, Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I will say it every time : the Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility is one of the most beautiful movies ever made and your mom should watch that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can anybody recommend any horror movies for kids 12 years old? They don't have to be particularly good. We've watched Brahms the Boy II which was awful but they enjoyed it. I was gonna say nothing with too much blood and gore but remembered we watched 30 Days of Night recently and they loved it.

Monster or ghost or killer doll movies would be ideal.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

All 10. In order.

If you want the actual speedrun version, it’s 3, 4, 6 and X.