Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What are the best movies that have Arthurian subject matter, or at least something close to it? Ideally looking for things that play it straight, rather than trying to be subversive or comical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked it a lot. Are there any others worth mentioning?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want to mix things up with a weird hybrid, consider "GI Samurai"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
Night of the Comet
The American Astronaut

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

Maybe "Rubber" (2010). If you liked The American Astronaut, "Stingray Sam" (2009) from the same director is a second, similar low-budget musical space western.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Just watched Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer again.
Are there any other good asian films in this style, comedic and over the top martial arts?

Those two are fairly representative of Stephen Chow's style. You might check out his other works, though they don't all have martial arts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I just realized I never got Star Trek The Motion Picture on Blu-ray

Do you guys have a recommendation between the theatrical and the directors cut

For this movie in particular, choose the one that's longer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace tetralogy is an outstanding adaptation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm looking for globe-trotting adventure or spy movies. Ideally it's the kind that's largely an excuse for there to be a bunch of glamorous and exotic locations to have a fight, chase, or stunt in, and is at least somewhat possible to take seriously. But not James Bond.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was thinking the other day about role models in media, and it got me wondering if anybody can point me to good romances (comic, dramatic, period, genre, whatever, as long as it is mainly a love story) in which one or both of the leads is notably a good person. Like, not merely that they are admirable, but that the film considers their morals important.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want something dramatic, fun, or both in the sword-and-sandal genre, whether placed in a historical or mythological setting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speed Racer (2008)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Sergei Bondarchuk's War & Peace (all four parts)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mad Max: Fury Road.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RRR

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm looking for movies set in or around World War 2 in Asia. Not documentaries (unless you've got a really good one to suggest.) China or India in particular would be great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not expecting sunshine and rainbows here, no. But it's really just the setting that I'm asking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that

The Green Knight