Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m looking for some good seafaring movies. I rewatched Master and Commander last night and it’s still great. Submarine movies are cool too, but mainly looking for stuff in the vein of Master and Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

If you want conspiracy thrillers, The Parallax View and All the President’s Men are definitely worth watching.

E: Soylent Green as well

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

What are the best movies that have Arthurian subject matter, or at least something close to it? Ideally looking for things that play it straight, rather than trying to be subversive or comical.

Excalibur

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 9, 2020

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I’ve been doing a similar movie night with friends. Here are some of the better ones we’ve done:
Tammy and the T-Rex, A Talking Cat!?!, Miami Connection, Cats, Gymkata, Samurai Cop, Vampire’s Kiss, Hawk Jones, Mac and Me, Quigley, The Apple, Little Italy

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for straight up haunted house movies, like amityville horror or haunting of hill house. Which ones are the pick of the litter?

House (1977)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Peppy, preppy 80s? Just that height of joyful bubblegum consumerism and big hair and jazzercize and malls and pink/teal puffy idealism?

Heavenly Bodies

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

Midnight Meat Train

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

It’s an obvious pick but the fight in They Live is an all timer

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Kanine posted:

also im curious if anyone has good reccs for lovely star wars ripoffs from the late 70s/early 80s in the vein of battle beyond the stars that my friends and i can watch together and make fun of over zoom

Starcrash

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Darkon

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the gold standard there as far as I'm concerned.

I probably owe this a rewatch

morestuff posted:

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

I have! It’s pretty good!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

Patton
Master and Commander
A Bridge Too Far

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bridges own. Bridge on the River Kwai is an obvious pick but it also owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Looking for movies with extremely hare-brained plot twists, for example Serenity (2019), The Tall Man (2012), I See You (2019)

The Perfection