Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

Dune themes:

The spice is kind of like oil. The big governments are coming in to get that oil, I guess.

There's a theme about religion, and the way it is used to control populations.

There's a theme about how cruel dictatorships with big fat floating guys are pretty bad - you should want a nice dictatorship by a handsome guy instead.

There's a theme about how the slow blade penetrates the shield, but the fast one won't.

Oh, another theme: If you do too much drugs, you might turn into a weird giant head in a big aquarium. But, you can pilot ships through space faster than light, so maybe it's not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

joke_explainer posted:

Dune themes:
There's a theme about how cruel dictatorships with big fat floating guys are pretty bad - you should want a nice dictatorship by a handsome guy instead.

Think it was more, in one sense though, that it's better to have a competent dictator with a clear vision and an iron will - even knowing they'll commit atrocities then it'll be for a 'good' reason.

Also that dictatorships are basically necessary/inevitable in one form or another for at least part of the time.

Also aforementioned 'good' dictator will probably, at some point, become symbiotic with the local fauna and go on to deus ex machina you up some new plot device unobtanium spice to fuel a whole new series of books that are increasingly terrible.

That at least was my read on it up to God Emperor and looking at how the series went from there. :shrug:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

cda

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

What did you think? I liked it.

I'm about 150 pages in and really enjoying it. It's all the stuff I enjoy in sci fi - political intrigue, linguistics, poetry etc. It's not... like...a Great Book but it's very solid so far and I could read stories like it every day until the end of time. I wish there was a pronunciation guide though

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
You should read dune, OP.

cda

by Hand Knit
One thing the author does really well is that all is the various devices used to move the plot forward and to cheat some of the rules of narrative (e.g. the Imago) are well-integrated into the world so they don't feel cheap at all

beer pal

yall ever read the kim stanley robinson mars trilogy? been thinking of reading those too

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

joke_explainer posted:

Dune themes:

um...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.

joke_explainer posted:

The final theme is to simply not trust charismatic leaders, period. :sax:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

why didn't winged speedos ever catch on?

alnilam

op did you read dune yet

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

"BD," as his friends knew him, was on the brink of coming of age, was coming to grips with mortality and the human condition, was on the brink of his first love affair, was definitely either a pawn of fate or master of his destiny, regularly denied and rejected the divine but was about to have a world-shattering revelation, had a complicated relationship with his parents and was unsure how this would affect his own future as a parent, was just beginning to engage with Art, and was likely in for a conflict of man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. himself, or man vs. society--among other themes. BD's friends had nicknamed him "theme dude" owing to the sheer density of themes he had going on.

"Tell me about yourself," said Girl Character. BD looked out at the beach. The wind tousled his hair.

"The Dunes are ancient," he said, "They are mysterious and ever-changing."

"Are you talking about your family, or about the dunes?"

BD shrugged, symbolically. "Look." He pointed down the beach. "Two sets of footprints."

Girl Character was confused. "So?"

"So. Look over there." He pointed to another place on the beach. "Only one set of footprints. Very thematic."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

cda posted:

"Tell me about yourself," said Girl Character. BD looked out at the beach. The wind tousled his hair.

BD shrugged, symbolically. "Look." He pointed down the beach. "Two sets of footprints."

"So. Look over there." He pointed to another place on the beach. "Only one set of footprints. Very thematic."

beer pal

cda posted:

lol

google THIS

cda posted:

google THIS

Suddenly, Bob got a look of consternation. It had happened. The day he had dreaded had come about. Someone has stolen his themes.

"My themes," he said. "They're gone."

"Are you going to get them back?" asked Girl Character.

"How can I? I can't rise above or be consumed by the folly of revenge anymore. I can't agonize over whether to honor the past or leave it behind me. I can't learn the value of friendship or how to forgive. How, then, can I possibly embark on this hero's journey?"

Girl Character thought. "Well, I guess you could always just shoot and punch a lot of people while having a ton of sex."

"Works for me."

joke_explainer

Bob Dune is le epic themer

joke_explainer

Excerpt from Dune sequel “Children of Dune”:

Bob grinned thematically. “Please, Bob Dune was my father. Call me Robert Dune Jr.”

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Idk if I've posted in this thread yet but if I haven't Dune sucks past book 3. You really only need bother with the first one unless you fuckin' LOVE what Herbert is dishin' out. Even if you do, stop after 3.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

no. hth op

Twenty Four

Just read the word "dune". pretty good read.

cda

by Hand Knit

Twenty Four posted:

Just read the word "dune". pretty good read.

it's got a twist at the end

super sweet best pal

cda posted:

it's got a twist at the end

Yeah, that silent e really contextualizes the whole thing, makes it pronounced like "doon" instead of "done".

beer pal

TVsVeryOwn posted:

no. hth op

drat. I was just on the phone with prnguin classics ordering my copy of dune when I read this post.

take the moon

by sebmojo
eh I think in the time it would take you to read it you could read someth better. lotta good books around op

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
dune is the story about how some privileged aristrocratic dork is destined to be worshipped by savages and eventually get handed the galaxy because of who his ancestors happened to be

Nosfereefer

weak, unimaginative virgin frank herbert: "lol, i guess i'll just mash together some old themes like the holy roman empire in space meets lawrence of arabia."

daring, creative chad me: *smears feaces on a canvas*

beer pal

the freaks and goblins are out again in byob trash taalking my favorite book Herman Miller’s dune

cda

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, that silent e really contextualizes the whole thing, makes it pronounced like "doon" instead of "done".

It's pronounced DOO-nee

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Nosfereefer posted:

dune is the story about how some privileged aristrocratic dork is destined to be worshipped by savages and eventually get handed the galaxy because of who his ancestors happened to be

Le Heroes Journey

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The Quiznos Hadenough is the universe's supreme sandwich, able to look at a hot dog as both a sandwich AND not a sandwich. Bene Gesserit, who become that way by drinking tequila with the worm in it- fear to look into that place. So does the board of health...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

Nosfereefer posted:

weak, unimaginative virgin frank herbert: "lol, i guess i'll just mash together some old themes like the holy roman empire in space meets lawrence of arabia."

daring, creative chad me: *smears feaces on a canvas*

for a second I thought you wrote "space meats" and I was like whoa

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

I think OP owes this thread a book report

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Manifisto

Frank Herbert's Dune is fundamentally about space meats because it deals with the question of what the future holds for the human species, especially as it grows older. A world with unlimited resources, resources of infinite density, and vast numbers of species that exist at will in space will eventually wipe out humanity and all of its species. The future can be a hellish place, but that is the price of progress, so Dune is essentially about progress.

In some sense, Dune is the story of the people who live in and attempt to preserve the world as we know it. Even the technology of the time is predicated on the idea that you don't destroy the world — you destroy yourself. The characters and the world they inhabit are constantly being attacked by a group of machines that control machines and machines control the people (and vice versa). At one point, the characters travel to a world where the only way to stay civilized was to destroy the machine civilization altogether, turning that world into a space meat paradise.

Dune makes a good analogy between its science fiction setting and the world we live in today, as if you could just throw away your technological progress and throw everything else into a pot of space meat. But I don't think you can, nor do I think that these spaceships could ever do this, and that the reason they don't is because humans have the

google THIS

We been spendin' most our lives livin' in a space meat paradise where the air isn't really fresh, where we can't smell the air, and we spendin' most our lives livin' in an enclosed space where the air doesn't stink." —Babette

2 "In the city there's only the streets that have been paved." —Jim Morrison

3 "And you know what, it takes a village to raise a kid who can walk across a street." —George Carlin

4 "Oh, so we went to the park for five hundred thousand years before people noticed or cared." —Jim Bob Henson

5 "I think this is the most important thing about our life experience." —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 "A carpenter is supposed to sit down, put in a set of screws and get one of our parts stuck up above his head." —Burt Reynolds

7 "No matter what the situation, if you believe in anything, if you make your choices based on reality, it could not be worse." —Steve Jobs

8 "We've got to understand we all have a part in the universe that has existed forever. It could not be a different universe, in any sense of the word." —Robert Redford

9 "It's one thing to think that someone

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

google THIS posted:

We been spendin' most our lives livin' in a space meat paradise where the air isn't really fresh, where we can't smell the air, and we spendin' most our lives livin' in an enclosed space where the air doesn't stink." —Babette

2 "In the city there's only the streets that have been paved." —Jim Morrison

3 "And you know what, it takes a village to raise a kid who can walk across a street." —George Carlin

4 "Oh, so we went to the park for five hundred thousand years before people noticed or cared." —Jim Bob Henson

5 "I think this is the most important thing about our life experience." —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 "A carpenter is supposed to sit down, put in a set of screws and get one of our parts stuck up above his head." —Burt Reynolds

7 "No matter what the situation, if you believe in anything, if you make your choices based on reality, it could not be worse." —Steve Jobs

8 "We've got to understand we all have a part in the universe that has existed forever. It could not be a different universe, in any sense of the word." —Robert Redford

9 "It's one thing to think that someone

Lol holy sit

Finger Prince

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

google THIS

google THIS

Stick that in your theme pipe and smoke it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext