Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm too lazy to search for the Koth thread but these images made me do a few laugh out louds

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/139le49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The wikipedia article has a bit about how his opponent's sword chopped his headband off but somehow didn't cut him, while he straight slices through the other dudes head. The passage reads more like a fictional wiki synopsis of an episode, but starts off very specific with date and time (8:00) of things. The citation for parts of it leads to writings by Dave Lowry, who himself almost sounds like a fictional character at first:

quote:

Mr. Dave Lowry literally grew up in the Japanese cultural arts. As a boy, he commenced a lifelong study of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu swordsmanship under a Japanese teacher who was living in Missouri. In 1985, Mr. Lowry's experiences growing up as a Westerner, who was deeply immersed in Japanese cultural and martial arts, formed the basis for Autumn Lightning (Shambhala), his first book, which was widely acclaimed. His sequel to this book, Persimmon Wind, was published by Tuttle.

Mr. Dave Lowry has a degree in English, and works as a professional writer. He has authored numerous books, including Sword and Brush (Shambhala); his monthly columns appear in several martial arts magazines, and he is the restaurant critic for St. Louis Magazine.

I looked up that first book and it opens with a nameless swordsman crouched cutting a drop of water with his sword, before the minnesota kid wakes up to "born to be wild" on the radio. Then it immediately descends into exactly the kind of horrible language a 1960s missouri boy might say think or write so I slammed that rabbithole shut.

A better citation lead to a small gallery of art by Musashi himself and he's pretty great for a dude you only ever hear about his swordwork. Seeing that sculpture he carved makes me think there's some truth behind his weapon carving antics, if nothing else the dude can clearly wood sculpt competently when he wants to.
https://www.kampaibudokai.org/MusashiArt.htm

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You play the episode with your NFT open next to you and it gains watch XP for each time it laughs. Every NFT has a different sense of humor though so best to get a few just in case one hates the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Surely by then he will have found a way to make taxpayers give him money both for not-releasing something to help fuel the budget to not-release 90 day fiance to make even more money not releasing things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I like being along for the ride, but it's nice stuff works on its own way works when binged too. Feel like I remember and get more from shows in general from the standard release, but there are definitely exceptions where I bank up episodes to watch all at once.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I was going to just ignore it but I love Rebuild/Remake type poo poo. It's the antithesis of reboots and remakes, like, creators coming back to their earlier works and doing something with the concepts that wasn't possible without the original, that critiques the original or yourself or the audience, or uses the originals reflection tempered by age to find a better or other message and point to it all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"It's never too late to clean up a mess" was a good line, wasnt expecting that.

Pachylad posted:

I have no skin in the game but my understanding is that people said the advertising/trailers (apparently they all say 'the interviews don't count' lmao) promised 'a more faithful adaptation of the comics' whatever that means.

I think it is a more faithful adaptation, in that the original clearly wanted to be a hyperactive animated cartoon anime videogame world instead of a black and white comic.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: Nvm, watching Dragon Prince but been a while since last time. Show explained itself

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 20, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The bit in this week's Krapopolis where the adventure party got brutally murdered sure was much.

I was more caught off guard by the weird NFT mention. What did the crypto poo poo vote on or whatever there?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

repiv posted:

yeah, the blockchain is for spending $300 for the right to vote on which colour pants the characters will wear

Lol this is the sorta thing I wouldn't participate in even if it were free.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh god you guys aren't kidding. There's a whole bunch of these and every one is equally dumb. What colour dress does this pregnant woman wear? What colour is this spell? What colour is this pair of lizards?

It's so hilariously low effort. It's like they tried to sell the network on this by appealing to some random marketing buzzwords and then discovered that they were actually expected to follow through on the drat idea and therefore gave it the absolute minimum amount of shits.

It's also just notfeasible to make drastic changes in that short of a turn around, so of course they pick colours they can more easily swap out or go ahead and render out the 3 variants. Ultimately I'm glad it's meaningless changes, audience votes influencing fiction never seems to be that interesting. South Park might be the only cartoon flipped out fast enough to do such a thing beyond nominal changes but I'm not even sure how they could satirize it, the reality of it is already too nonsense.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sure anyone involved with production is just as eager to put all the nft voting whatever garbage behind them as soon as anyone watching it is. If I'd known they were going to play around with episode order and then take 3 months to release 3 episodes arbitrarily I would've waited till it was all out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most of her power comes from scaling HP buffs that make her way stronger the lower health she has.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I think doing actual tracebacks instead of moving the parts into place and leaving them as-is would create a much more organic effect.
If you're not confident enough to do the draftsman work of animating and drawing, you can still transform/skew the pieces that you need, but use that as your drafting layer, and then ink over that. The act of doing that final draw-over will in effect launder your re-use under a new drawing because even if you're extremely precise, the natural differences in line quality will get that organic look.

It's almost a meme at work that my boss/creative director will ask us to typeset something, then redraw it by hand and he's always right and it always looks better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anytime I get a big sub I appreciate the bed of evil and lettuce.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wegotussomemedicalwaste.com

Idk if Aquateen needs a dedicating quote posting thread but maybe we can bridge the Seinfeld quotes thread for a bit, not sure they'd even notice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's a whole era of rock I only know through Carl.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lordy lordy look who is turning fortyforty

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You could poke em with a pillow and kill em

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright fine gently caress it then, just say "here" and we will consider "here" to be short for "here I am, rock you like a hurricane."

You do as the scorpions have before you!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am so glad to learn of a new show and it has 3 seasons already. Lookin forward to the Daws Butler soundalike, I was watching a bunch of old stuff a while back and was thinking how much of a vocal void was felt by him and several others.

I see that Boomerang has its own streaming service lol. Do they actually have all the old Hanna Barbara stuff on there, is there anything resembling an old school tv channel stream of just the old poo poo, doesn't look like it at a glance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Word, it was mostly the old stuff, Josie and Top Cat and all that other childhood background noise. I was trying watch Tenchi Muyo the other day and signed up for Crunchyroll and they didn't even have it. Archive org ended up having a toonami stream of it, complete with the old bumpers and such and that was a nice nostalgic trip. The voice acting wasn't the best but it's those voices that rattle the dusty sound memories for better or for worse.

They do have a playlist thing, not quite a straight stream of just the old stuff... But thats because I'm old stuff my old got older.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only 40 more years until Brak is freed into the public domain!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It'll be horror movie hack Brak at first either way but if that's the price to pay so be it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The warriors of virtue had a kangaroo for patience but it was VB that forced me to acquire it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I know I've seen every episode at least once but I cannot for the life of me recall him ever speaking or even what his voice was, let alone repetitive catchphrases. I'm never going to rewatch it because I would definitely notice and be annoyed by it now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

The show had a lot of other little sound bites they'd reuse all the time, like Muriel's "Oh my!"

Now Muriel's Oh My I can hear! And the old man yelling angry stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't hate that show but Aoyade was a bad choice for the main lead, he never sounds like he's in the world it sounds like Richard Aoyade whining in a booth. They also went with a very weird and unrelatable family dynamic. Some of the plots and mythical creatures and stuff I really enjoy but it feels like it's scared to get too weird, almost like they're angling to be on primetime weekday network TV which doesn't exist anymore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know that and they know that but they still don't have to make it like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if it's just so much cheaper and simpler to produce multiples rolling off each other over waiting and trying to start it up again once seeing how well it's received. Or maybe it also just doesn't matter as much these days, it's much harder to draw cause and effect with these companies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neeksy posted:

The best explanation is they used the models for reference or scene blocking, with artists drawing over them later.

The worst is they're pulling a Disney "Hey it's CG but we're pretending it's 2D animation, even with actual examples of 2D animation in the same shot, nobody will notice".

I can see that if they're doing really dynamic scenes, it's really hard to arbitrarily match a perspective and action within it from all the moving angles you might want for cool cinematic shots.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vandar posted:

This looks neat, so I'll bite. Why did they do Primal parodies?

My dream for the Simpsons is for them to go all in on these kinds of alternate interpretations. Like when they let couch gags get wild but whole episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No way, at the very least it deserves to outlive all of Seth McFarlanes cartoons.