Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was really genuinely pleasantly surprised by SPTO. I was going to skip it because I just wasn't interested in seeing the story again but taking Scott off the board does loving wonders. It genuinely allows every character involved to be more of a character and allows Ramona to be a person. They're pretty good about reframing the story so it doesn't linger on stuff the original version covered and it comes down pretty firmly on the side of Ramona and Scott both being pretty poo poo people who need to both get better and that anything they have won't work if they don't actually help each other with their flaws.

It helps that the Evil Exes are loving hilarious when they are allowed to breathe. I'd gladly watch a show that was basically about them.

The original Scott Pilgrim has aged a lot and SPTO does wonders because it actually addresses that and acknowledges it instead of just trying to cling to the same story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris Evans does such a loving good job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

He's a dumbass manchild and the entire point of the original series was him learning that poo poo takes time, work, and effort, and it won't always go smoothly, and his entire character growth is him sticking through it to the end. It's reflected on Ramona in the story, as she has similar problems, and her constant abandonment of people when things get hard is what caused most of her problems in the first place. This just sidesteps all of that and at the same time shows things getting better without him there, which makes me question what the purpose of this series is. Learning about the divorce sheds some light on some of the choices, though.

e: I know that i'm in the minority here as I hated the series and most people really like it, so :shrug: He should have made a Seconds anime instead :colbert:

That isn't remotely what happens in the series at all.

The series puts Ramona into the position, for the first time, of being the one left behind instead of the one leaving. Rather than it being about Scott and his issues, it puts Ramona in the position where she has to confront her own issues and deal with them on her own terms without it being about Scott. And things end up better not because Scott isn't there but because Ramona is forced to confront things herself and actually has to deal with her exes as actual people instead.

And the series makes it clear the post-ending of the comic was "they were happy together until things went wrong and neither Scott nor Ramona had actually evolved emotionally enough to deal with things going wrong" because the whole Evil Exes thing had largely resolved in a pretty lovely way, with Ramona never actually getting closure for herself or fully accepting the damage she had caused to others.

The series has a happier ending not because Scott 'died' but because his absence meant that Ramona, not Scott, had to actually confront her past issues and past cruelties and the way she behaved, which was and is an ongoing criticism of the original story. So in Takes Off, well, she does. She actually has to confront and develop, to actively go after someone instead of being chased, and it climaxes with her future self being able to speak openly to Scott and tell him to come after her, rather than her and him making each other miserable.

Like the entire point of Future Scott being the Ultimate Evil Ex is that Ramona ended up hurting him in the same way she hurt all her previous exes, and while it made him behave and act like an absolute shithead, Ramona is the one who took off and then never contacted him because she never had the personal chance to grow and improve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

in the comic she literally leaves scott after finding out he cheated on knives with her and has been trying to change himself to be better for her, saying that she's a bad person. She comes back at the end to help scott beat gideon, admitting that she can't run from her problems anymore. This is the plot, it happens, her character growth is tied to Scott's and their relationship. Hell he only wins because Ramona stops trying to run from her problems!

You literally just emphasized why this story is the way it is. "Her character growth is tied to Scott." Ramona in the character is a character who exists secondary to Scott. She depends on his character growth instead of her own. This was a common criticism of the story and probably the #1 argument people made about why they probably wouldn't have a happy ending. The show just makes that absolute text. Future Ramona's entire issue is that she was waiting for Scott to do something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

But you've just reversed it now, Scott no longer has any real growth so things will assumedly end up the exact same only with Scott being the one to gently caress it up because he's the same idiot manchild he's always been

Scott pretty explicitly got a speedrun of his development from thr original series which they didn't beed to show because we had it already. That is like the point of the VR stuff and gim apologizing to Knives when he gets back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mizu also is going to end up in London next season if it gets made, which is presumably going to basically force her to reconsider things considering she will be less likely to on-sight be called the most hideous monster who has ever existed as well as meet at least some white people who are not cartoonishly evil supervillains. Not having every person you meet call you the spawn of Satan may help a bit with the ol' self esteem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Mizu has arguably killed more people than Fowler by a factor of between 10 and 100 at this point, so is he really that irredeemable?

The dude tortures and murders people for funsies. He literally rolls up with his goon squad, breaks into the castle, murders the ruler and tries to declare himself king. He murders people for bringing him bad news and there's an underground tunnel full of the skeletons of his bastard children. We don't see him kill more people onscreen but we sure see a lot of aftermath.

Mizu, for all her many flaws, is at least shown to be capable of restraint. She clearly likes to fight a whole lot but she also seems entirely willing not to kill someone if she doesn't have to, she doesn't murder that one dude who stood down during the castle assault or just flat-out kill Ringo to protect herself or anything like that, nor does she kill the child who later rats her out, and even her abandoning Akemi was her thinking she did the best thing. She is not a great person but he is on an entirely different level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Asbestos is the best tos

Excuse me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqgqgcE8Zck

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BES does do the Wick thing where Mizu is exactly strong enough to defeat whoever she is facing as long as she gets the poo poo kicked out of her first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think a major factor to him staying around is that Mizu abso-loving-lutely does not speak English and he's one of the extremely few people who could actually be a translator for her. Which is also why she can't just buzzsaw him and take her chances in London because the number of people in London at the time who can translate Japanese has to be vanishingly small and probably contains her targets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read that apparently it shits all over the Beyond Good and Evil characters in a weirdly mean-spirited way so I'm good ignoring it exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Mostly directed at BNA but why does almost every single Fantasy Racism story eventually have some kind of plot device that brainwashes the oppressed group into acting crazy and violent?

Generally it's there to provide a dramatic way to have the oppressed underclass rise up or manipulated in a way that avoids the risk of trying to imply they are actually Naturally Bad without having to get into the actual politics of the situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that like a gangstar?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I know people are hyped about X-men but I don't really understand all these calls to revive the old Spider-man show, it was always the cartoon I had to settle for when DCAU stuff was not on.

It was a psuedo-episodic show that ended on a cliffhanger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stoop Kid is afraid to leave his stoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

What is the official explanation for the magic weakness anyway (assuming it’s still a thing in modern day)?

He doesn't actually have a magical weakness. He just doesn't have protecting against magic greater than his natural durability and strength. For example if someone shoots him with a magic laser, he's still going to be able to tank it. He isn't vulnerable or weak to it. But if someone tries to turn him into a toad? He's a fuckin' toad. Sometimes this gets written as "has less durability against magic attacks than non-magic attacks" but even then he's still unnaturally durable and strong, it just means Captain Marvel hitting him with a thunderbolt can actually hurt.

It's inconsistent, like they've done "Wonder Woman's magic weapons can hurt Superman" but then in the same story he tanks several magic lightning bolts with no lasting damage. Usually this is justified as like "Wonder Woman's sword is enchanted to cut anything, Superman doesn't get to nosell that enchantment."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2024