Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

readingatwork posted:

Gary and His Demons is pretty great. It's about the adventures of the Chosen One destined to fend off the forces of darkness only now he's old and bitter and has all sorts of mid-life issues. I'm going to be super pissed if there's not a season 2.

You can find it on Vrv but Episode 1 is on YouTube for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b16qK6lg4

readingatwork posted:

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

Thank you so much for this, this has easy become one of my all-time favorite shows.

The tiger episode won me over and it kept getting better before the one-two punch of the sphinx ep and then the tentacle monster ep cemented it. Absurd sincerity is my favorite type of comedy.

For canucks :canada: at least, all of the episodes are available for free on the CBC Gem website: https://gem.cbc.ca/season/gary-and-his-demons/season-1/7f8dbac3-4ee3-4209-8ffd-411a5692fea2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I enjoy Aggretsuko more the less I think about it. It's all diagnosis and no cure, it acknowledges all of these systemic problems in Retsuko's life but then it sweeps them under the rug with tidy resolutions that don't ring true. (Anai made a fantastic villain and actually made me wonder what I'd do if faced with a coworker like that, but then suddenly he was... done being an issue.)

Every problem/villain is resolved once Retsuko changes her perception, meaning all the blame and responsibility rests solely on her.

Also S2 pulled an Office Space by dwelling on an issue no one can relate to in the second half:
"I've wore the wrong shoes to work too! This show gets me!" to "I have never dated a billionaire tech-bro who will change the world with AI..."

Lastly Haida is a Nice Guy creep who claims ownership over Retsuko even though she's made it clear she's not interested. He should be subjected to her rage that same as everything else, but I suspect that won't happen.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

It's like Villainous and tumblr had a baby. Overly busy, doesn't direct the eye well and doesn't linger on its payoff frames long enough. It's as pleasant as watching a strobe-light.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

To everyone who said "Final Space season 1 isn't great, but season 2 is much better!": gently caress You.

It's webcomic writing given a budget. A monkey cheese and bathos slurry. Nearly every episode in S2 introduced a new something that had never come up before but apparently had always been the most important thing in the galaxy, 30 minutes later it would be resolved and forgotten, and in between was a whole lot of serious muttering and crying. Just awful.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Is Disenchantment any good? I watched the first half season and it didn't quite hook me.

While I'm here, this is another reminder that everyone needs to watch/rewatch Gary And His Demons.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Final Space S2 was really, really bad. Worse than S1 somehow.

It was stuffed to the gills with bathos and melodrama and everyone crying 24/7 while at the same time having zero consequences or flow between episodes, and I hated it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

When Avocato died, I was like there's no way in hell he's not coming back. Surprise, surprise!

Of all the dumb melodrama with no lead in and no pay off, the one that stuck out the most was Lil Cato living a whole life's worth alone (it's very super sad #cry), and then when he comes back they specify that he remembers it all... and yet he continues on being the same character he was before. I'd gotten my hopes up thinking there would be consequences, that this would shake up his relationship with Gary now that Cato was the "older" more mature one. So really I only have myself to blame.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

just another posted:

Besides I guess Bojack (which I haven't tried watching yet) and the new season of Rick & Morty, are there any newer mean-spirited/cynical/depressing animated shows worth checking out? I'm still trying to fill a Moral Orel-shaped hole in my heart.

Gary And His Demons a million times.

Also seconding Megg, Mogg & Owl, the best ongoing comic today. (:nws: Example here.)
The COVID arc is the best they've ever done and the definitive time-capsule of this period. (Also very :nws:)

Both lean closer to Bojack where even at their worst there's still an element of heart, sincerity, and sympathy for the characters. And then if you want a non-animated show without any of that there's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

XboxPants posted:

holy poo poo this is horrific

I've spent all night reading this, it's the best comic I've ever seen, though to be fair that's mostly based on it being the most recent comic I've seen and the fact that I have a memory like a termite. But still. I didn't know poo poo like this still even loving existed. I bet I haven't seen something this earnestly grotesque in at least a decade.

And that's just the surface-level value! Brings a tear to my eye.

If you appreciated that you should get the books! They're each fantastic*.
*TW: There is one story in the first book that involves a sexual assault birthday prank. Hanselmann has mentioned he wouldn't write material like that anymore (though you can kinda tell it was based on a true story/someone he knew growing up poor in Tasmania.)

As for Castlevania, the only good scene is the lobby fight in S2:E7 (because it has Bloody Tears and no one talks). The rest is mostly forgettable. The side plots in S3 were awful (Alucard's in particular), though I'll admit the main plot was above average. Still need to hatewatch S4.

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVVV

XboxPants posted:

I ordered that poo poo the same night. I blame you.

Can't wait to just guzzle this stuff right down my gullet. Not joking when I say that Crisis Zone actually did help me feel better about myself and the year I've gone through and the way I've been dealing with it. I mean... how could it not? :lol:
I'll gladly take that blame (and share it with Space Cadet Omoly). I'm happy for you!

Thankfully Seeds & Stems collects a vast chunk of all those ends and odds, so I'm confident all of the WWJ & Sons will be collected in time.

Come And See fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 10, 2021

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Centaurworld is one of the best shows I've seen in the past 10 years and I put it in the same tier as Over The Garden Wall, Bojack Horseman, Primal, Gary And His Demons, and Gravity Falls.

Does it belong in this thread? Maybe not. None of its content is particularly adult or violent (except for three instances). And yet the main themes deal with trauma, body horror, and suicide.

Adventure Time's influence is undeniable, but I liken it more to Who Framed Roger Rabbit (the non-cartoon Horse is contrasted with Centaurworld which is very cartoon-y) mixed with Alice In Wonderland (playfully surreal with a dark edge).

It's a show with great gags, technical mastery in both music and animation, and subtext that benefits from an adult perspective. All-in-all it's worth checking out.

Also, in one episode the hero has to win the Jellicle Ball.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

South Park was an exciting departure from Small Screen to Silver Screen because it was a musical and because they could really swear. They worked overtime to make it feel like a feature film and not like a very large episode of the show. Any other big animated series I can think has totally failed in this regard, and I’m sure Bob’s Burgers will not be the ones to break the cycle.

The Transformers: The Movie is a gem of civilization.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s wild to think that this was a prime time FOX comedy with gay jokes in literally almost every episode.

As someone who recently rewatched the first 13 seasons of Simpsons, that's not too hard to believe. The 90s and 2000s really loved their gay jokes.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Wait a minute... Penguins can't fly... PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

And he's been drinking!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

League of Legend is the one with NOT Lina Inverse right? I never remember. Although, they'd probably try and avoid making her like that character.

Google tells me you're thinking of DOTA.

Ccs posted:

they do ugly crying like I’ve never seen done in animation outside of some scene in anime by guys like Hiroyuki Okiura.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Centaurworld S2 came out today. I am going to savour it bit by bit.
S1 was fantastic, but I could never trust it; watching and waiting for it to turn bad at any given moment. It never did, and that unease added to the experience. Hopefully S2 continues to walk that tightrope.

:siren:Major MAJOR spoilers but a favourite bit of animation:siren:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Vandar posted:

I honestly think this was the moment I realized the Simpsons was well and truly dead and there was no coming back for it. Just the most pandering type of thing that classic era Simpsons would have roasted the hell out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bojs7UAKQ

Finding out they gave Sideshow Bob actual superpowers through genetic experimentation is probably up there too.

For me it was when a panda raped Homer. And then Marge raped Homer.

Seasons 9 to 13 grew worse and worse while still having key highlights, but Season 14 is when I began actively hating the show I once loved.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Between Rugrats and Lamb Chop I learned plenty of Hanukkah and Passover songs that deeply annoyed my grandmother who thought that they were corrupting her good Christian grandson :).

I imagine it was quite the surprise for Lamb Chop.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Speaking of Brad Neely, if you're not already aware, Wizard People, Dear Reader is a product of when he got drunk, watched Harry Potter 1 for the first time, wrote down a new script to go with what he was watching, and now his recording can be played with the original audio off to make way for a new story, re-contextualizing everything that's on screen, complete with narration and sound effects.

I never got into Harry Potter, but I watch this at least once every year and so should you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5ibUzjkOo&list=PL78FDE0E5FBE5F270&index=1

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

FYI there are at least two versions of the narration, don't remember which is better or why

While the first has some line deliveries I prefer ("You are so loving stupid," says Harry; Just then- ARGHH!!! Holy loving poo poo!!!), Neely loses steam near the end, while the second draft has more energy and is better performed overall.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

mycomancy posted:

RIP to a real one

This tangent sent me on a trip. I had heard the news of her passing growing up, but never saw this particular ep. I was the target audience when this was recorded, so, like a letter in a bottle, message finally received:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-9YudLPz8&t=1505s

(If I have to be sad, so do all of you.)

Thank you Shari.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe its just my busted childhood memory but didnt lamb chop meet like the phantom of the opera or a haunted house or something.

Not familiar, but this was in the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUkcV_TyXE

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

He grows up to be Doomfist from Overwatch.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Hazbin Hotel was so awful that I never gave Helluva Boss a chance no matter how many good things I heard about it. This is a pleasant relief. :munch:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Y'all remember Cybersix? Cybersix was sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAN2VJKa_k

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/gary-and-his-demons-season-two-premiering-this-fall-for-prime-video/

HELL YES :dance:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I only perused that thread after the fact, but my heart is filled with glee.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/status/1581706696942006272

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Spoiler: the animated short did go as hard as the comic! And it left me wanting more.

omg it's real

https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/status/1582078939773607936
https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/status/1582085003751567362
https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/status/1582089621726408704
https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/status/1582095089664348161

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I can only imagine how unsettling the Steven Universe fandom got if this is considered small potatoes.

Allow Werewolf Jones of "Megg, Mogg and Owl" to give you the crash course. (Majorly NSFW)

-

A while back I was a little too quick to accept defaming claims on twitter against Vivienne Medrano (so I could write off a show I kept hearing was good but whose tumblr/furry art style repulses me. Also I watched the Hazbin Hotel pilot and it was awful.), but it turned out those accusations were bullshit so I want to be on record admitting I'm a dumb dumb.
I might eventually give Helluva Boss a chance, just so I can make sense of the conversations in this thread, plus Das Boo working on it certainly helps.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

The show can be a bit hit or miss. The hits are really good the misses are pretty meh. Both pilots aren't super great (more so Helluva boss's) but Hazbin hasn't had a chance to show much else so I can't make a full comparison. I think if you ever liked Invader Zim and deviantart comic challenges you'll have a lot of fun. If not there's other stuff to browse from. Primal is very good for example if you want some really well animated violence and hard hitting drama.

The character designs (minus Luna) look leagues above Hazbin's, it has Richard Horvitz (Zim was fun, I own the house box-set), and the bits I've seen in motion I've appreciated. Good to know not to judge it by its pilot.

I have seen Primal. S1 was fantastic, near perfect.
S2 was good but felt "small", too European and lost a lot of mystery to its world. I'd preferred if it kept its faster pace and more pulp (ep 5 was good). Spear and Fang should have been sent to Mars. And then in S3 have them face off against New York mobsters with weird ticks and deformities.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Talk of unicorns reminded me of this trailer I came across recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3sZDvsZwE

It actually looks pretty good.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

I'm willing to bet you got that from the same reddit thread I did. It looks interesting but I'm not sure I'll ever actually watch it.

Rottentomatoes.com actually, trying to find where their box office rankings disappeared to.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The idea that Superman's secret identity as Clark Kent isn't actually a disguise but rather an aspect of his sense of self and as important to him as his super hero identity is such an interesting concept that I love to see explored.

Superman isn't Clark Kent because he's trying to hide who he is, he's Clark Kent because he's sincerely passionate about journalism and enjoys pursuing his career.

I read somewhere that in the Sandman comics the DC cameos appear as the people they view themselves as. Batman is all monstrous and bat-like while Superman is just Clark Kent.

Here we are:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Larry Hardcore did it all!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If it'll be anything like literally every other single futurama run, there will be a lot of mediocre to below average episodes leading up to a final episode that blows everyone away and brings even the hardest person to tears, right as it gets cancelled again.

And vore. Don't forget vore.

One of the higher-ups has been self-dealing since the beginning.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

When I think of adult shows that are more mature, it's not that they don't have sex or violence, it's that sex and violence have consequences and are treated seriously (and aren't just ephemeral punchlines).

Bojack is a good example (past the first chunk of S1).

S1 of Gary And His Demons is more serious than not (people are randomly killed but that has more to do with Gary's detachment and being desensitized, injuries still take time to heal and are risky); while S2 of Gary is far less mature (with "comedic" violence that heals away in-between scenes).

The Merkinman posted:

[Can you recommend] any Animation for Adults that isn't just an excuse to be as violent and gory as possible?

Gary And His Demons S1 is my answer even if it's not a perfect one.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Oh hey cool! James Stewart, whose song The Meaning of Good Bye plays throughout the surprisingly heartfelt ending of Litter Kills: Litterally (the Ponce de León episode of Clone High), has released the early demo version that was used in the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhyu3ZvqP8&t=11953s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhyu3ZvqP8&t=12125s

I'd been silently hoping for a quality version for well over a decade. His album version is just slightly different and the simpler, unpolished production fits the vulnerability of these young cloned teens.

https://jamesstewart.bandcamp.com/album/clone-high-james-stewart

"I was thrilled when I heard that two of my songs - demos at the time - were selected for a brand new animated series called 'Clone High'. It was never screened in my home country of South Africa so I had no idea of the popularity and following of the series. Some years later, I was very surprised to see (I confess I must have been googling myself) some grainy screen grab videos with my song and so many comments wondering where they could find the song - and did this artist even exist and if so, how poo poo his marketing must have been to manage bury a song on the world wide web? Besides a few sheepish comments and apologies of my own I directed anyone interested to BandCamp - and grateful and pleased to see fantastic support in downloads from all over the world.
Forgetting - yes, I can be that slow on the uptake - I had released both 'The Meaning of Goodbye' and 'A man like me' having made a few production and instrumentation changes to what become the 'final versions' on my album released in 2010.
So, I had to really wrack my brain to come up with an answer for a fan who had tracked me down, pointing out the differences between the former and latter recordings... eventually I trawled through my master tapes, uncovering the early demos of these songs.
Two decades later I got my poo poo together. The more things change...
Anyway - here they are; the original versions. Enjoy."
-James Stewart

2 hours later...

:aaa:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I experienced the train wreck live.

"Did you watch it already?"
"It's a peculiar anime, you might want to wait for the kids to be asleep before watching it" "Oh I'm watching it with them"
"Turn it the gently caress off, right now"
"You are so melodramatic"

i messaged his wife, warning of the impending doom and she replied "Oh, that's why everyone is yelling and crying in the living room"

For anyone who doesn't know, Made In Abyss had its own thread in ADTRW for years until the mods caught wise to what the show actually contained and nuked it from orbit and perma'd a few people. Anime gonna anime...

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

A funny thing is that while discussion of it is banned in ADTRW the series aired on American cable TV.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

quote:

anime chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ass6mO4rI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Das Boo posted:

He like me fr fr

Meanwhile us perverts be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCquvEv9DM4