Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Steven Universe tended to kinda invert the pacing that we're used to; major plot developments would appear quite suddenly and episodes would be devoted to the aftermath, rather than build up to a climax.

Hadn't thought about this before. SU really did spend much more time with the fallout of things than it did building up the foreshadowing or ramping up to The Event - even more so than similar "emotions/relationships first" serial shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nine-gear crow posted:

It was literally some kid bought a website through Geocities in 1998 and threw the nine second remix of Whistle Stop he made online with a bunch of dancing hamster gifs and Disney didn't know what the gently caress to about it or even that it existed because it was the internet of 1998, digital copyright laws thankfully didn't exist yet. When the actual hamster dance song we know and love(?) today was made, Disney was like "nope, you can use the melody, but the clip is our IP, record your own version of it" and the rest is history.

Which version is this, because the 1998 one is the only one that I know (and love).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Das Boo posted:

Here's a fun thought for (I hope) next season: BES takes place in 1657. If we spend a little time kicking around, Mizu could be in London for the end of the world that is 1666.

Lol at the possible narrative of Mizu being responsible for two of the most cataclysmic fires in the history of two separate continents.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also, they show the example of that one guy who wakes up later and doesn't seem to have the same kind of training or field time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
We actually enjoyed it a lot as a standalone "what if". Plus, it was a nice breath before the pretty bleak last episode.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Open Source Idiom posted:

Four episodes into The Second Best Hospital In The Galaxy and I've concluded that this show rips.

Agreed. The scenarios are legitimately funny, the depiction of anxiety is upsettingly resonant, and there are enough triggers of legitimately alien elements to keep you on your toes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ccs posted:

X-Men 97 is pretty good. Dunno if it counts as "adult animation" but its definitely made for a nostalgia crowd. The animation is, according to the supervisor, 99% hand drawn. The fact that they look like cg models and the end credits have rotating cg models that look exactly like the characters is just evidence that somewhere along in the process cg was used to... help keep things on model? Maybe for the animators to draw over or just study like Disney guys would use maquettes? It's inconclusive. The credits suggest the actual animation staff is tiny though so they must be using some modern efficiencies. Also it moves kinda weird.

Haven't watched the new show yet, but maybe it's another callback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4-lgDrHpI

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hanna-Barbera did take one last shot at a prime time cartoon in 1982, and it bombed hard. Jokebook. No plots, kind of a sketch show format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCynP_fakg

This is loving dire...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Macaluso posted:

Jon Hamm needs to be studied. There's something just so uniquely funny about him that I find really hard to put my finger on. Something about his handsome leading man look really enhances any kind of comedy he does.

I literally must have some kind of voice blindness because I can't hear Jon Hamm... only Will Arnett.