Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's interesting that Season 4 is such a disaster that Adult Swim apparently doesn't even want to put it in during reruns. The rerun passes have stopped at the end of 3 when I've seen them on. I think that leaves it in the ranks of Minoriteam and Mongo Wrestling Alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

S3 was fine. S4 was absolutely dire, because without McGruder the characters all got flanderized to poo poo, the show became way more about Robert than Huey and Riley, and the political messages went from sometimes-questionable-but-usually-good to :yikes:.

I still sometimes think back to the Season 4 finale and shake my head. What a horrible note to end on (until now).

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if they're just not planning on doing 30-minute shows anymore. Everything seems to be 10 15-minute episode orders now. Final Space was kind of a special add-on. They're still doing a season of Black Jesus, so I assume McGruder's not pissed at them.

There's also a lot of rumors that Adult Swim is barely holding off losing its independence as the other Turner networks get merged together.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like it has two teams of writers on everything where they like, write the actual show and it's good then like have the B-team sprinkle in some edgelord humor and it feels unbearable a lot of the time. Like the gay kid, he's got totally reasonable plotlines, but like peppered with like the most basic and played out "lol gays" jokes. Same with the bisexual kid being like, peak bisexual stereotypes (he'll gently caress anyone or anything!! even a turkey or a couch!) it feels like the show is constantly undercutting and undermining the actual positive stuff they go for.

Pretty much this. I'd say that Big Mouth is good and fairly funny, even if this season didn't seem to bring the heat quite as much. It's a really weird show in concept. Unfortunately, they seem to stumble backwards into unfortunate things occasionally. Like the context of the Ali Wong intro is that she is intentionally making a big attention-seeking introduction. She's over the top and then reveals at the end of the episode to Jay, the bisexual guy, that unlike the rumors that say she was expelled from her last school for kissing/fingering a nun, she actually just quietly told a friend that she was pan and wanted to date her and it went poorly. So she's going gently caress it, do it loud this time. It feels fine enough in intent, but even my not super woke rear end knows that it stumbles into some unfortunate stereotypes and hosed a few things up.

Edit: Oh, and cool, one of the creators apologized for it already: https://news.avclub.com/big-mouth-co-creator-apologies-for-its-inaccurate-scene-1838887345

That's a good sign at least.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 10, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I just watched the first ep of Momma Made Me Sheriff and it's not as unappealing as Mr. Pickles was. "Incompetent sheriff and his straight man deputy go on weird, sometimes grossout misadventures" probably helps ground the show a bit more than "edgy dog does grossout murders" (though I've heard that people who actually stuck with Mr. Pickles felt that it got better overtime, so that probably feeds into that)

I don't really like the show, but since I'm up late a lot I saw most of it through reruns. I wouldn't say Mr. Pickles ever really got better, but there were a few tolerable ones. They occasionally let actual jokes have room to breathe and there was a glimmer of something if they could get past the edgelord and budget NewGrounds stuff. They started to do more gimmick episodes without Mr. Pickles, including a COPS parody that just followed sheriff around the weird town, which along with a few other Sheriff episodes is probably where this season came from.

I saw a few rumors on Reddit from the couple of fans that Adult Swim told the creators to re-do the whole show around Sheriff, or it was getting canceled. Just weird that the rebrand is apparently real and sticking and that it was basically a stealth reboot. I assumed it was a one-off joke when I saw the commercials.

Also, Squidbilles was good. "I said Blue Lives Matter 'til I'm blue in the face, what more do you want?"

Adult Swim seems to be doing a horrible job of actually pushing out new shows though. I remember seeing some list of 20+ shows that they approved pitches for, and I'm not sure that any of them actually aired. They haven't done a pilot special run in forever. I thought The Jellies and Lazor Wolf sucked, even though I wanted to like them. Ballmastrz 9009 and Tigtone were decent too. A few of their live action shows have been alright (Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell, Dream Corp LLC.) along with their Infomercials series, but the rest has been so stale.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 4, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I fell off on watching Rick and Morty, but I can easily see how they would get into a bit of a rut and go into decay, since where I stopped watching it was already super dark, an it can't get much darker without becoming too depressing and losing the comedy, but also it seems pretty oriented against showing the characters improve and develop from where they were, so there's not much of a direction for it to go other than just treading water.

It got buried under people obsessing over the Szechuan Sauce joke, but the heart of the season 2 opener was that they had a chance to go the Venture Brothers route with an increasingly complicated and kind of dramatic story to draw the seasons out, and they choose to laugh and light it on fire. It was funny and cool in the moment (and part of what made the show interesting) but that might be biting them in the rear end right around now.

At the start of the season it seemed like they were going to have a good through line by focusing on Morty just wanting to have a more normal teenage life as he got sick of Rick's bullshit, but that's fallen by the wayside hard.

The season's been okay, but it does feel like it's spinning its wheels a little. On top of it just not hitting like it used to after 4 seasons.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I know there was also a Nick Kroll interview that he did for Colbert back before it launched. From memory, they set out to make an intensely gross and crass show about their experiences with puberty and gently caress around with it, loosely based around the idea that these were the videos/shows that they wished that they'd seen in health class. Then they realized while writing it that a shitload of kids would watch it so maybe they should try not to gently caress it up.

So that's how you get a show with a subplot about a kid impregnating his pillow also have a critically well-received episode that's just explaining what Planned Parenthood really is.

It's weird and I kind of like it. But it's also one that I wouldn't really recommend hard to anyone. Either it clicks or you bounce off of it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
They advertised it like crazy so unless something happened literally a day or two ago I have to imagine it's just Adult Swim doing a little fun stunt. I hope so at least. I checked out after 3 episodes so that I wouldn't burn out on it. Good show and I love the variety in animation and art.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the curse of Venture Brothers being so long-running is that there are some jokes that suck the air out of the room in re-runs. Not much that's uniquely terrible in comparison to contemporaries, and on the whole it does better than you'd think, but there are still a few there.

The pedophile jokes are the worst because they kind of sucked the first time around from what I remember. The final episode dealing with Sgt. Hatred's pedophile curse thing had comments in the thread that it was a funny enough conclusion and god drat they hoped that it was the last time they mentioned it because it was not great.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ironslave posted:

It'd be more tolerable if they ever had those stakes pay off, but the show keeps trying to pile on more and more mysteries while having its principle cast utterly disinterested in the forces that are upending or influencing their lives despite making a big deal out of them.

Yeah, I tried to remember what the last season was even about. There was a steampunk city and they hosed around with people wanting to steal the kingdom's magic, I think. At a total loss beyond that. I still watched it though. It is in that weird spot where it's not bad enough for me to turn off but not really good enough to care about.

For the Boondocks, I just want confirmation on whether or not the last season of horrible episodes were just leftover scripts that they had previously decided to not make. Because boy that's the only explanation that made sense to me.

Also I'm just not sure where you'd really go with it now. Shame we won't at least get to see though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Rugrats also did a Passover animated special, and that's even rarer than a Hanukkah animated special.

Between Rugrats and Lamb Chop I learned plenty of Hanukkah and Passover songs that deeply annoyed my grandmother who thought that they were corrupting her good Christian grandson :).

Black Jesus Season 3 is just bizarre in general and it does make me wonder if MacGruder still had more Boondocks episodes in him or if they'd suck anyway. Aside from the cast changes and a few actors passing away, the plot just went to really weird fantastical places that felt completely removed from what the first two seasons were trying to do.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Smiling Friends and Birdgirl were renewed for new seasons.

Happy for Smiling Friends and interested in a Birdgirl season 2. I don't think I liked the first season on the whole, but it felt like they finally had it kind of set up by the finale. Not sure why they hosed around so much when they just had 6 episodes but maybe season 2 will work out better.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Interesting crew signed on too. Sounds good.

quote:

Alongside Cohen, the special is being created by Greg Daniels and Mike Judge (of King of the Hill fame), and being penned by Michael Koman, the SNL writer and co-creator of Nathan for You.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

IIRC the pitch for the reboot was a little weird with Uncle Ruckus becoming a fascist dictator who rules over their town with an iron fist.

I guess that would be the natural followup to the weird last season with the on and off plot of Ruckus getting into politics.

Adult Swim's been rerunning the last season and they had the episode about the Antebellum America amusement park on, and I was struck by how lazy and lifeless the big Huey fight in it felt compared to something like the Oprah episode (with the taser glove) or the movie theater episode. That whole season was just out of gas from the start.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I’ve been watching the new Harley Quinn season and I’m really not feeling it. Also idk what the deal is but the animation in the second episode is all kinds of messed up.

I thought that they were okay, but a little exhausting. I kind of wish that I didn't binge watch the first three and wonder if I would have liked them better spread out. Like episode 2 has way too much packed into it especially coming off of the intentionally overpacked first episode.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There were actually TVIV threads for Disenchantment. When I looked back a few pages it looks like there was a new thread for season 2, so season 1 is probably archived. The general forum consensus was that it was mediocre to bad. There's some fun moments but there's also just a lot of wasted talent and it never felt like they had a good idea of what they were doing. For a show that gets way too bogged down in serial stuff, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do with it.

It's probably not fair to do this, but I think it also seems a little worse than it is because you can tell that they really thought that they were making a new classic. The show's really full of itself and just assumes that you're going to love all of the characters and the main plot. So when that's not happening it really falls flat.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I’ve never heard of any of those shows except for Infinity Train and that’s only from this thread.

A lot of them are just regular kids shows, which is probably going to be a bummer for some parents out there. Or not, I'm not sure how well HBOMax got the kids accounts off the ground.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's definitely a misuse from the law as intended to take a property that was reasonably successful for a while and suddenly declare it as having no value to get some quick tax boosts.

It's not fully clear that's what's happening here though. Not just from the lack of any real communication from the company itself, but from the fact that they're also burying Sesame Street, which they had a contract to stream, but they certainly didn't own it. Can you write something off when all you have is short term broadcast rights?

It's a weird thing where some stuff is definitely a tax write off and some things are just about cutting residuals, like Sesame Street. Supposedly they did make a decision to just bail out of animation and kids shows entirely because HBO Max wasn't capturing the market which could mean that some of this will be sold off eventually (to who though?).

But then you have things like Cartoon Network erasing shows from memory on social media and it's not clear what's getting which treatment.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Cable is dying so that's probably what was always gonna happen eventually, this huge clusterfuck might just be speeding up the process (if indeed they do axe the network). Then again, now that Discovery's nuking HBO Max, combined with people in general complaining about there being too many streaming services to watch, and the growing rejection of binge TV... maybe it's time for cable to come back! :v:

From my memory of how this stuff has been playing out for a few years, yeah, it's a really weird 180 from what seemed to be happening.

Basically, Cartoon Network has been in a transitional state for a few years since traditional TV is dying off and kids sitting around watching reruns just isn't as much of a thing. So they were pushing kids to their ad-supported streaming app. Shows would get binge-dropped on there and they'd eventually play on TV at some point in the next month or so. This was also when they switched to the binge format of running 5 or 10 episodes in a week and then having months of silence. It was rough on serial shows and made it hard for some new shows to build an audience.

And yeah, for awhile they were just the Teen Titans Go! channel. If kids wanted something else they could go to the app. It seems like it's gotten a little better over the last year or so and they still make some decent kids shows even if I'm not really going to watch them as an adult. It'd be a bummer to lose them and be down to just Nick and Disney. Netflix also slashed its animation department so unless they reverse course it's going to be rough.

And all this was seemingly true for Adult Swim and even TBS' attempt at a cartoon block. For a while it seemed like there was a push/pull over new content. Teens and adults staying up late to watch weird cartoons just isn't as much of a thing anymore either and there was a sense that Adult Swim would exist to funnel stuff into HBO Max. Which they've been doing well enough for now. But now they're getting gutted too and there's this weird question of what's even going to be left.

So the whole thing is just really strange since for years the old plan was to move animation to HBO Max to unify the library...and now new merger so gently caress a years long strategy, apparently.

Hopefully they just sell it off rather than kill it. I'd have to assume someone would be willing to pay for that catalog. I thought the latest rumors was the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim had managed to survive the little Discovery civil war and stay on top, but who knows now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's LD? I haven't kept up with cartoons lately aside from Harley.

Lower Decks.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It gets better at Ep6. Ep7 was good/better than Eps 1-5. Season 3, of course.

They wasted too much loving time on the Honeymoon/"men trying to write lesbian relationship fic" poo poo.

I think the whole problem is that we spent 2 seasons dealing with Harley maturing and figuring her poo poo out, and we spent the whole end of last season with her working herself up to the point where she could tell Ivy that she loves her. Then...we get 5 bad episodes where Harley's too immature for a relationship and we're back to treading water. It also doesn't help that the hook for the season is so weak compared to the 1st and 2nd. But it looks like maybe they can turn it around in the back half.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Probably a little of that along with people loving The Wall so much that they wanted to recapture it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

I think some of the show runners have said that the Steven Bomb scheduling really wrecked the writing process and they had to write with that in mind.

Did anyone at CN ever say why they wanted to air new episodes of SU like that? I don't recall them doing that for their other shows

I think they were doing it for a few other shows at the time. I thought OK KO was doing something similar. Heck they're still doing a week of new episodes for their kids shows, I think.

I believe the argument was that the CEO was certain that the app/streaming was the future, so they'd just put it on the app and drop it in the "bomb" format because who cares when it airs. But yeah, it was absolutely terrible and made me give up on watching it. Especially since it tended toward "Here's all Townie episodes. Here's one hour long episode of Gem stuff broken up into 11 minute chunks that now can't ever be easily re-run. lol"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Final Space was pretty cool, but it struggled with how zany it wanted to be. If the whole zany, optimistic character getting thrown into a pretty serious plot worked for you then it worked. Absolute shame how much they got hosed with though. Even before this round, they had to struggle with being tied to the doomed TBS block in the first place.

ninjewtsu posted:

I feel like the unfortunate truth is if they decide to hire cartoon makers the cartoon makers will sign up just so they can have someone funding them

That Twitter thread about the state of the industry was brutal with the note about how if you wanted to do a 3+ season show you had to also try and guess which network wouldn't throw you into the wood chipper at the first inconvenience. And how that used to be WB following Netflix dumping a bunch of their animation. So good luck trying to divine the will of major streaming platforms for the next 2-5 years/

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the elephant in the room I've been stuck on with Velma is that it feels like when they made the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air a drama. Something that's a fun bit isn't automatically a good candidate for a full show.

When I was a teenager it was funny for early Family Guy to have The Scooby-Doo Murder Files where they look at a mutilated corpse and translate Scooby's "ruh-roh" as "Yeah, you're right. We're looking for one real, sick son of a bitch Scoob." Except that was a 45-second joke.

I'm really struggling to see adult Scooby-Doo working for a full-length season unless it's just another series with some Scooby-Doo paint slapped on it. Happy to be wrong, but it's not inspiring confidence right now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels like every new bit of information on the show is just the showrunners coming out swinging, screaming "I will fight you" at the internet. and there's been no real indication that there's going to be anything actually substantial to the show itself. They just really want to start a fight, and I actually hope they don't get one.

I hadn't really thought about it until now but it's giving me the vibes of the run up to Cowboy Bebop live action reboot. Just weird misguided anger and taking shots at the okay fans while acting like you're fighting some valiant battle against the alt-right/awful nerds. If your show's good then just let it work its magic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Inside Job is back November 18th.

Glad it's coming back. I'm biased since I follow :tinfoil: stuff for fun, I but I thought last season did well. Also liked that it had light serialization and curious how season 2 goes with the general story.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i liked the ending they had for what it was. you get to see oral in the future happy who has still kept his faith but has broken the cycle of shittyness and chud lifestyle abuse.

It's actually a huge bummer that they did come back and make the special about Orel living on his grandfather's farm as a younger kid. Called Before Orel: Trust, apparently. It just had a much more annoying energy and didn't work. Makes me pessimistic about them coming back to the idea, since yeah, the regular ending worked out pretty fine. There were a few plot arc ideas that they had to dump that sounded fun (Orel's grandfather taking care of him as his leg healed and him struggling with his grandfather's atheism sounded like it could have been a solid one. Maybe a funny one about Orel becoming a goth. Plus just a general arc of the audience getting to see Orel's recovery rather than the time skip.)

And yeah, Dino went back to them to make Frankenhole too. Which was uneven but alright.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

I have also been working my way through season 3 of Harley Quinn

It gets better, just way too late.

I'd wait and see a little bit since I think Kaling's writing usually toes a pretty mean line so it may sound way worse written out than in execution. But I'm not optimistic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
About the only point that'd be fair is that people would have had a way bigger problem with Michael's racist bit toward Kelly in Diversity Day. You might not be able to walk that back and have him turn into later season Michael without a lot of inbetween stuff. But apparently they walked back Dwight murdering a cat, so lol. I had completely forgotten that bit.

It's also not a particularly interesting observation since first season Michael was a straight Ricky Gervais office rip and he was more traditionally unlikeable rather than the loser type he turned into. The Office's first season being really different isn't much of an observation. People were pointing it out by the end of the second season.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also the boring answer that it got a huge push. There's been a lot of media coverage and it was also the homepage fullscreen ad for me. I do watch Harley Quinn so maybe it was just targeted because of that, but a lot of shows that I'd like don't get the big recommendation.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The one I had heard about was "The Red Ape Family", and I didn't remember anything about Seth Green's separate NFT project, which is apparently called "White Horse Tavern" and only features himself as the one bored ape. I poked around and dug up a trailer.

https://twitter.com/FFVV1211/status/1528043201885442048

It actually seems like decent production quality aside from the ugly ugly NFT art. Underneath the weird NFT gimmick, it seems like just a very common premise with nothing special about it at all. I guess it might be Seth Green trying to be down to Earth and genuine as opposed to most of his work, but it's a shame he's gonna try putting his heart out on something so dumb.

From the bit I saw of people looking at clips, it's depressingly sincere. I think Green was a true beliver in crypto and NFTs rather than most celebrities who were in it for the check. The one bit I saw of it other than being an insanely generic sitcom was that they did the Simpsons "Hey, look it's Guest Star, let's stroke their ego for a few minutes." Except it was about some crypto or NFT guy that only people really deep into it would know.

It might be one of the guys in that trailer, it's been a little too long to remember. But it was some embarrassing cameo.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 14, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sockser posted:

Who the gently caress is this show’s target demo

There was an old joke from somebody about the Battleship movie as the highwater mark for dumb Hollywood bullshit. Some coked up guy shouting about how combining the massive brand recognition of Battleship with Rihanna's fans/following guaranteed that you'd have a hit. No shade or discussion of the movie, just what came to mind.

Hardly anyone wants to accept pitches for original shows right now and animation is getting killed everywhere, so here we are. Honestly not sure why she didn't just try for some Nancy Drew thing though. Gender-swapped Hardy Boys. I guess Riverdale must have sad no but there had to be better ways.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, is Yolo: Silver Destiny going to have continuity now? Fun start to the season and honestly just glad that it didn't get cancelled suddenly with WB's moves.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It was just kind of there. When they decided to actually do jokes it wasn't bad but episodes just kind of happened and they were more "weird" than funny a lot of the time. And the cast of characters just didn't really stack up to the originals.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It could also just be a bad trailer. They really suck at making trailers for even the funny shows. Not really feeling it though.

Somebody in the comments said that they liked the animation since it reminded them of Stroker and Hoop, and man, at least Stroker and Hoop had an intentionally ugly aesthetic. This is just low effort.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah that was surprisingly good. Especially for a pilot. I assumed it'd be a lot more dumb and screamy, but the jokes are pretty solid with only a couple of rough spots. Making Theo a former nu metal guy rather than a generic garage band loser is a good setup.

For as obvious as the cracker challenge leading to mass choking was, I got a good laugh at the loose change plan immediately after.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
efb: ^Yeah, I think it tied in with people realizing that the show was going all in on forgiveness.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That sounds fundamentally harmless tbh. It might not be the message people want to hear, certainly given the context, but I think there's truth to the idea that racists can be talked around.

Specifically, the issue was a tone thing, I think. It's been a long time. If I remember right, the turn of the episode is that the uncle makes a little effort to try and talk to the Gems and Steven and all the Gems keep leaving him out and talking about Gem stuff and adventures. He gets weirded out and sad and tries to just bail because it's all too alien and weird for him, and then I think Steven includes him and everybody feels better. Also it's Dave Willis doing his Carl voice. I don't know that that's important but I liked it.

Fine for kids stuff :shrug: but rubbed some people the wrong way since it seemed to put the emphasis on not alienating bad relatives rather than how to deal with an unaccepting relative. And it was a case of the "bad" relative just sort of coming around on their own and being good at heart. Which, again, kids show. But yeah, it came at just the absolute worst time, and a lot of the fan base overlaid the "try to get along at Thanksgiving" with the bad Thanksgivings they had coming up.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 23, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There's probably something to it that if you want to stick with a fantasy about radical forgiveness you probably shouldn't throw around a bunch of thinly veiled LGBT-themed oppression and war in the backstory if you're not willing to wrestle with it. DBZ can get away with it a little because death isn't exactly a big deal when people keep getting brought back.

Doesn't excuse adults getting way too invested in it, to be clear. But I think there was a factor that some of the older teens/adults that got invested in it got drawn in by the worldbuilding and hints of a bigger, kind of dark backstory. And then, you know, it's a kids show after all. Clearly they should stick to Animation for Adults :smug:.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

Pray tell, rather than hammering on a story you think is imperfect, what are some other works that you prefer?

Without making my tired brain do a long list to figure it out, Bojack Horseman finale Did a decent enough job, and kind of surprised me, by having several characters just sort of move on and set up strong boundaries with Bojack. Hard to compare it to space war but it's what came to mind.

If we're going with kids shows Craig of the Creek is kind of neat with it going both ways. I sometimes see it randomly or watch a little of it or Apple and Onion as cotton candy for when my brain doesn't want murder, mysteries, inheritance drama or people making swords. They let a few enemies stay enemies while still pushing a lot of tolerance and forgiveness. It's also a lot easier to have a character redeemed when their crime was turning against a friend, breaking some toys and being friends with someone who got the main character grounded though.

Also, want to thank the goon who recommended Masameer County on Netflix. Had time to check out an episode and it is interesting. Some good visual jokes while being weird/trippy in a neat way. I might have liked it a little more if Netflix hadn't decided to show me the first episode of season 2 for some reason. "Wow, I guess we're doing kind of an In Medias Res thing and we'll get the know the characters along the way :)" until I remembered to make sure Netflix wasn't being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm sure the Superman show will still go onto HBO Max like other Adult Swim shows. Also the Twitter comments reminded me that Adult Swim is going to move up to cover 7PM, so this might be an in-betweener show for that block.

And yeah, HBO Max's official position last I checked is that they don't want to do kids shows/cartoons anymore so it was either getting canceled or pushed to a network.