Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed, in fact I wouldn’t mind seeing more AT related content in the future (even the more adult elements they added to this show feel completely natural)

Though I will also agree that the show doesn’t work quite as well if you don’t have at least a familiarity with the basic plot of Adventure Time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It kinda sucks to newbies like me that they make a whole new AT series that seems like it would be an excellent jumping on point, but in fact it’s the opposite of that, and you need to know basically everything beforehand. Like, at this point I’m almost shrugging and walking away completely.

It’s honestly not that bad, I hadn’t seen AT in years and haven’t had any trouble following along so far. As long as you know what Simon's deal is and have at least a passing familiarity with the characters you should be fine

Speaking of though, is the original show and its related specials still up on Paramount+ and the like or did they axe that as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 23, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is all of AT (including the specials) still legally available anywhere? Fiona & Cake kind of inspired me to do a rewatch of the original

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Most of the specials except I think Diamonds and Lemons are canon to the series as well (Stakes is after the 5th episode of Season 7, Elements is after the first episode of Season 9, and Distant Lands is after the end of the series proper)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

As much as I like Steven Universe I do kinda wish Rebecca Sugar had stayed working on AT. She just got it!

I forget, is she involved with Fiona & Cake?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, I think that might be the first thing she’s done since Amphibia’s Christmas episode (which she wasn’t credited for)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

those episodes actually aired out of production order; season 1's airing order and production order is a bit of a mess (it doesn't help that various season 1 episodes getting scrapped meant that their production codes would be recycled for later season 1 episodes). for example, according to the old frederator blogs (which nowadays you'd have to wayback machine to see), the first 4 episodes produced were The Enchiridion (which is "officially" episode 3 and ended up airing as episode 5), Prisoners of Love (officially episode 5 and aired as episode 3), Evicted (episode 12, and is one of the eps where Tree Trunks shows up even though it aired after her focus ep), and Ricardio the Heart Guy (episode 7)

Huh, I never knew that but it makes a lot of sense. Did any of the other seasons air some episodes out of order?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

seasons 2-5 mostly aired episodes in order with the occasional odd episode out of place episode (usually not causing problems) but like the middle stretch of season 6 also had a bunch of eps pulled out of place early. Season 7 also appears to be a bit of a jumble at times (there's a few eps that were meant to be pre-Stakes and between Stakes and the Moe christmas special that didn't air until afterwards, for example)

Is there a guide or something out there that lists the proper watch order then? Fiona & Cake recently inspired me to do a rewatch of the series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, also Stakes takes place after Varmints in Season 7 correct?

Related, is Diamonds & Lemons canon and/or worth watching?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Yeah the individual episodes that make up Stakes are already on the list (Marceline the Vampire Queen to The Dark Cloud)

Diamonds & Lemons isn't canon (since it's some sort of Minecraft tie-in AU) but it's fine enough to be worth checking out

Around what season can you watch the latter then?

Also is Elements in Season 9 just a bunch of episodes from the series stitched together as well (and if so, do the specials add anything to the arcs or does it not make much difference whether you watch them all together or as individual episodes?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the Islands miniseries, how important is the prequel tie-in comic out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Just curious, do we have a dedicated Adventure Time thread?

Not that I’m aware of

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

I love you all but it might be time to make one.

It might be a bit late though, Fionna & Cake literally ends tomorrow and there hasn’t been any indication we’re getting more AT related content afterwards

But if someone wants to then by all means go ahead

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

We're also getting a cartoon adaptation of Lara Croft: The Legend of Tomb Raider: https://youtu.be/cb9AUAZBcOk?si=axVdi_suBqZ6twK5

If you like tombs raided being a pretty joyless affair with odd ideas of what makes a person relatable, there you go.

It’s also apparently a sequel to the recent prequel trilogy of games about Lara’s origins

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Hazbin Hotel has an official start month. January 2024 for season 1, season 2 has already been greenlit.

Speaking of, how's its related series Helluva Boss out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally giving it a look

Also is that one going to be getting a Season 3 eventually or is Hazbin effectively replacing it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was planning on watching the show anyway but good to know, thanks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

So, final two episodes of Fionna and Cake: What a good ending. I feel like it really wraps everything up not just for the mini-series but for Adventure Time as a whole. The fact that we get some actual closure on Simon's to his relationship with Betty is, I think, the major thing that was missing from the original series' finale. Basically in Come Along with Me he and Betty were only reunited for all of five minutes before she merged with GOLB and it never really felt like we got a chance for Simon to really understand or process why she had to do what she did. Him actually getting to reflect on their relationship and accept the fact that their lives will still go on even if they can't be together makes that plot feel much more like a bittersweet, but satisfying ending rather than a weird, cosmic tragedy.

I also loved Fionna learning to accept and fight for the mundane world she inhabits and the way that things end not with her world being changed into a gender-swapped copy of Ooo, but with some magical elements from other worlds leaking in. Overall just a very cozy, feel good ending.

I'm also amused that the creator diaspora that came off of Adventure Time have all seemed to unanimously agree that giant women are cool

Haven’t seen it yet but did it leave any doors open for future continuations should they decide to do so?

Also I assume this leads into Simon being where he’s at in the AT epilogue as I expected?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hope they keep doing AT stuff in the future every so often (I think I heard the creators said something about wanting to but it’d depend on how successful F&C was overall)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fionna and Cake’s finale was really good and I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who was a fan of AT (the callback to Shermy and Beth was fun too)

I reiterate, I’d love to see more stories in this universe provided the crew was willing to make them

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I forget, aside from the gray hair did Fionna’s ending contradict Simon’s appearance in the AT epilogue montage at all or just provide some more context as to how he got there (I thought it was good regardless though)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Doesn't Prismo specifically mention in one of the early episodes of Fionna and Cake that Simon had specifically come to him before to try and wish Betty back?

Honestly though, even if the continuity of Fionna & Cake means that it has to come after the ending of Come Along with Me, the ending ties the two endings together pretty neatly from a thematic standpoint with Simon's therapy session with Minerva. "It's a cycle of learning and forgetting and relearning"

Speaking of, did they play Island Song at all during this series (even as an instrumental)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mutantIke posted:

Tom Kenny is a fantastic voice actor with like 3 different voices, and this show uses all of them repeatedly

Squeaky, deep, and somewhere in between the two, yes (he’s awesome)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe the Crown has always served as a metaphor for addiction so I personally liked the way they handled things here (just because Simon was restored via magic in AT doesn’t mean he’s necessarily cured. He ultimately saved himself at the end which in turn helped save everyone else)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of The Dark Crystal, how were the various comics and Age of Resistance out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Netflix Castlevania an adaption of some specific game(s) in the series or more of its own thing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Owl House cinched the landing with similar issues. They kept their eyes on the plot prize and didn't have several episodes dedicated to a lovely love triangle. Problem in Star's case is several magical creatures and spells were uh ALIVE and had entire civilizations and she flat out killed them all. I get the idea behind it but the execution is nuts.

To be fair, aside from maybe Hekapoo and Star’s mom most of the Commission were assholes anyway. But yeah, they weren’t the only victims

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Star's mother is a huge arsehole. They have an entire episode in the fourth season which looks like nothing at the time, but I'm retrospect it's the show handing the villain torch over from Ludo to Moon.

I do wonder if they intended to have one more season there at the end, and then sort of resolved a few of their ideas for the fifth season very quickly at the end. But Moon's villain twist is very strong. Shame they do the Disney thing and back away from it though.

In general I like a lot of the final season, though it's absolutely not what you'd expect from the final season of an action cartoon -- lots of falling action where you'd normally have rising action. But it's clearly been plotted through beforehand, with a lot of set ups and pay offs, and for all that Mina doesn't work as a straight up threat (is it the voice filter? the design? both? whatever it is she's not very intimidating) her final speech about "great ideas" is very, very effective.

Yeah nevermind, Moon's terrible up until near the end now that I think about it (Hekapoo was probably the most reasonable member of the High Commission but even she was still complicit in the whole Eclipsa coverup). That said, it would be interesting to have gotten another season if only to see the aftermath of the two realms being forcibly merged together

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I expect it to keep going until Dan Castellaneta or Nancy Cartwright bite it, at which point we'll probably get a schmaltzy memorial clip show (or something along those lines) and that'll be the end of it.

Julie Kavner already sounds like she’s at death’s door

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I stopped watching The Simpsons a while back (the most recent thing I’ve seen is the movie and maybe a few clips here and there) but I’d at least give them some credit if they just went balls to the wall insane with the finale like that (sure, a lot of those ideas have been directly disproven by the show itself from pretty early on but who cares honestly)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Voiced by Elizabeth Taylor iirc. Was it the story of Lisa’s birth?

Lisa’s first word I believe but yeah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Simpsons could just copy the ending of Dinosaurs.

Kill every character off in a sudden ice age? I’m still impressed they got away with that back in the day

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Dinosaurs was always pretty grotesque. I remember having a very strong negative reaction to the scene where the evil boss eats the last two members of a species that the dinosaurs consider a delicacy. They were charming, funny muppets who convince Earl not to eat them, and then the boss does. The whole conceit of the show finding it funny that the dinosaurs eat conscious, aware beings no different than them disgusted me in a way that it wouldn’t if the episode had just been about Earl learning about vegetarianism or the horrors of factory farming or something. Instead, the episode just normalizes the cruelty it’s ostensibly critiquing. It’s like the opposite of the Simpsons where Lisa becomes a vegetarian.

Yeah, in retrospect the whole show kind of had a cynical (sometimes straight up dark like what you mentioned) sense of humor overall. I remember an episode pretty clearly about marijuana that ended with a segment mocking PSA specials

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, not sure how well it holds up today but for a 90’s Disney/Henson joint supposedly aimed at kids Dinosaurs pulled no punches

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

roomtone posted:

Watched the first 3 Adventure Time: Distant Lands and I dunno, they were okay. I don't think separating the cast and putting them into totally different contexts than they usually exist in really worked for me. Actually it just made me a bit sad, because it feels like things move on and nobody is the same/people are forgotten, which is an experience, but the episodes themselves weren't that great and didn't have a lot of laughs.

Like, the original ending was fine, so I didn't need another one or a 'what else did they get up to' because there were like 250 episodes, so it just feels like some bonus material. Like, they got to do a full episode of PB and Marceline being explicitly a couple which they probably weren't allowed to do on the original show and I'm sure some fans enjoyed.

I'm really curious to start Fionna and Cake and see what happens there, though. I know there's another Distant Lands focused on peppermint butler but he doesn't do anything for me and I hear it isn't very good anyway so I'll watch it in like 5 years.

Fionna and Cake is very good, watch it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hilda will also at long last return for its final season this December:

https://twitter.com/thatlukeperson/status/1703765444870406249

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mutantIke posted:

I'll never get over the fact that this shows up in Undertale. Toby Fox is a real one

I forget, where in that game does it appear again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

The thing that always trips me up is that Mega Man is voiced by the guy who did the original Ocean Dub Goku. Once you hear it you can't stop.

Also Protoman is evil and Wily is German for some reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean he was modeled after Albert Einstein, so it kind of tracks. Proto Man being evil and the creation of Dr. Wily is just weird though. I was gonna say "Why did they need to make Proto Man evil when Bass was right there?" but I guess the show actually pre-dated Mega Man 7 by like at least a year or more, so Bass wasn't even a thing they could have drawn on for a rival character to Mega Man.

It’s especially weird seeing as the show literally had Dark Man in one episode. But yeah, I guess they needed a rival character and Bass didn’t exist yet (X did however and showed up in one episode hilariously out of character)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

Hold up, when did that episode come out? I need to know if it establishes precedent or not.

December 3, 1995

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Mega_X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dead End Paranormal Park will finally be getting an ending of sorts in comic form in May 2024

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/hamish-steele-deadendia/#:~:text=Are%20more%20books%20planned%3F,set%20in%20the%20same%20world