Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just watched Close Enough season 1 on Netflix up here in Canada, and it's really good! I didn't think the episodes were weirdly paced for 11 minutes. It kind of fit the formula of starting with something normal and then getting into a bonkers situation real quickly. Glad to know Season 2 is even better, though I dunno when it'll make its way up north.

Final Space is also on Netflix here but I haven't been interested in it. Maybe I'll check it out, along with that demon show on youtube.

I was ambivalent on Solar Opposites' first season but it's still alright, so will probably watch second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Just watched the first few episodes of Harley Quinn. This is the most manic show I've ever watched. :psyduck:

It's funny as hell, but it goes a million mph.

I rewatched some Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law today and it’s the only more frenetic show I’ve seen. So much joke density that Flash is a major asset to the ability to just throw stuff at the screen for 11 minutes and see what sticks. Apparently they tried to do the first season traditionally and it was a mess because it needed so many retakes.

Also that Harvey Birdman Attorney General at Law special was pretty good! And I’m looking forward to the new Birdgirl series.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would watch a show starring Harley Quinn's Bane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdR0LqErVg

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, that sucks. She was awesome in everything I've seen her in. I have several family members closing in on 80, kind of scary that's the age when people just start going. Every time I see them they have so many more lines on their face.

I rewatched all of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law recently, What a great show with one of the best voice casts. Now I super excited for Birdgirl.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Harley Quinn S2: Holy poo poo, they brought back Michael Ironside as Darkseid? :psyduck: This show is loving amazing.

Oh yeah the voice cast is top notch. Batman has the same voice actor as Brave and the Bold too, which is inspired.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Close Enough season 2 continues to be really funny. I thought someone said they switched to 22 minute episodes though? All of these have been 11 minutes so far. It's still great though, you can always be certain that a mundane setup will go somewhere really really crazy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was disappointed by Birdgirl's premier. At times it tries to slip back into the zany super fast paced groove of Harvey Birdman but none of these new side characters are as immediately appealing or funny as any of Harvey's ensemble cast. Far too much "plot" to get anywhere near the tone of the original show. The mile a minute sight gags are also gone.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

With Birdgirl it feels like they're to go the Harley Quinn route. They've even got a green skinned lady with a similar design, to be the straight woman to Birdgirl's zany antics.
But Harley Quinn has super strong writing and is playing with all the things the audience already knows about the Batman universe. Birdgirl kind of has to make up a world to play around with and it's not doing so as effectively. But I'll watch a few episodes in the hopes it improves.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

just another posted:

Finally watched the Harvey Birdman special and I'm either getting older or it was a lot more erratic and fast paced than I remember. Did not like.

It’s exactly as erratic as the show. I enjoyed it as a one off but wished they made more.

Edit: Birdgirl Episode 2: continues to be alright, not super great though. Some good gags, but the characters are not super memorable yet.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 16, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Close Enough season 2 was really good. I’m also rewatching Legend of Korra and season 2 is a lot better than i remember. I always chalked it up as the bad season. Unless it totally screws up the next 2 episodes in a way that makes all the previous episodes worse, I think I judged it too harshly the first time around.

Really wish Iroh’s original VA had been alive for his appearance this season. There’s a cadence to his voice that the new guy couldn’t replicate. Same as when he tried to deliver Iroh lines in Avatar season 3, it just never sounded quite right.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It just looks to me like someone very very very influenced by Jhonen Vasquez.

In other news I am on episode 10 of season 3 in my Legend of Korra rewatch. Holy moly how did this show ever air on Nickelodeon. It’s incredible what they’re getting away with.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Love Death Robots Season 2 is out. I watched nearly all of the first season because the visual style was cool, but i'd say there were only 3 shorts I really enjoyed, while a number were written like trash or seemed to be video game cinematics with a few extra lines of dialogue.

There are currently no critical reviews for this second season, and audience scores are in the pits (47%). So... that doesn't bode well. It's too bad, because Jennifer Yuh Nelson joined the crew this season and I had hoped her sensibilites plus the smaller episode count would mean they'd craft better stories that weren't all about how many tits and how much blood they could cram on screen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Someone pointed out that in the first season 16 out of the 18 segments were based on science fiction written by men. It’s a good thing they rectified that this time by having.... all the segment based on stories written by men.

It’s fine though, I guess women don’t write about love or death or robots.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m really glad Venture Bros is getting a movie to conclude things. I absolutely love the first 3 seasons of that show but for one reason or another wasn’t able to connect with the later ones (it’s like the voices got more annoying or something? Or maybe i just lost track because of the huge gaps between seasons). But it’s long term fans who stayed with it through an enormously long production deserve to see it have a fitting end.

Heck I can remember going to a comicon panel for it almost 10 years ago and they were showing animatic clips of season 5. The actual season dropped 2 years later and the next 3 years after that...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve started to rewatch Venture Bros from season 3, cause that’s when I remember it really getting into the groove. Very enjoyable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LeSean Thomas is an incredibly inspiring guy but aside from his stint on Black Dynamite I’ve been really underwhelmed by everything he’s worked on from a storytelling standpoint. His visual skills are top notch but Cannon Busters and Yasuke didn’t grab me.

I assume he just hasn’t found good storytelling collaborators who can give his visuals the backing they need to really shine.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got to season 4 on my Venture Bros rewatch. I never saw this season! Sgt Hatred is an interesting character, audacious of them to make his urges a continuing part of the show. Though I suppose it’s a natural place to mine for comedy in a series about former boy adventurers. The Captain Sunshine episode was both hilarious and disgusting and also maybe a bit problematic for the way it equated pride symbols like rainbows on his costume with pedophilia.

The Monarch, Dr. Girlfriend/Mrs. The Monarch and Henchman 21 continue to be delightful. The show is becoming more and more reliant on its continuity in this season instead of being stand alone. Also far fewer female characters Hank and Dean’s age for them to interact with which is kind of shame, they’ve done funny stuff with that in the past.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Also the joke with Captain Sunshine is that he comes off like a pedo but he's actually just a manchild

He kisses Dean on the lips though before Dean goes back to his family.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All I care about is a good Venture Bros movie.

I watched all of Season 4 yesterday. Oh man the prom episode. It's a pity I hear the Triad doesn't show up as much in the later seasons, they were great this time.

It's kind of crazy how much Rick and Morty owes to Venture Bros, though I suppose they're all riffing off of the same pop culture. There's a lot of throwaway gags in Venture Bros that would be expanded into full episodes in R&M (like the women turning into mantises at the prom at the end of Season 4, which was a much bigger part of an R&M episode years later.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished watching The Venture Bros. Great stuff. The 2 seasons in NYC aren’t my favourite but it was necessary for the show to refresh itself a bit. The show was absolutely firing on all cylinders during seasons 4 and 5, culminating in All This and Gargantua 2, which is probably the gold standard of the series for me. But it remained high quality to the end and I’m very glad it will get a movie to tie everything up.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Really? I thought All This and Gargantua 2 was the nadir of the series. Lots of unfunny jokes including unnecessary callbacks to really funny jokes. It also didn't get the balance right between comedy and serious drama. Its basically the type of episode that appears when a TV series is going on too long. The series did manage to recover from it fortunately.

They had been teasing Gargantua 2 for ages and they had all these plot threads in place that they needed to tie up, and that episode managed all of it while giving appropriate time to every character and reintroducing a few in funny ways. The show would’ve been a mess of lingering and ultimately annoying mysteries without that episode.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://youtu.be/hnQOO8Y1Ck0

4 part miniseries on adult swim of a Junji Ito manga. Out October 2022.

I’m entranced by the complexity of the hair, how the hell are they pulling that off? Can they really be drawing it that complex for every new frame?!!?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Looks like it's CG, so I assume that makes it easier.

I framed through it though and its weird, some things, like the bag, stay really consistent in volume and appear CG-ish. But when she walks, the feet change volume enough that it either has to be hand drawn or they're applying a jitter filter on the CG lines that mess with them a bit to create the illusion of imperfect volume preservation. It being in black and white probably helps, but if it is CG it's the best application of CG in anime I've ever seen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Episode was fun. I can always rely on Rick and Morty to be entertaining even though I'm not a huge fan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Clone High was so good but I'm hesitant about the reboot. I'm trying to think of good reboots.........

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m on Castlevania season 3. Good art. A lot of the characters are idiots, or I just find their plot lines and motivations a bit contrived. They usually manage to pull some really banger endings to the seasons though so I’m watching to see the confluence of forces get wrecked by the protagonists.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The swearing feels performative. Same with that Dragon's Dogma show I only made a couple episodes through.

The priory plotline in season 3 is the only one I'm really invested in because I want to see those guys get their due. And the continual teasing of Hector by rosy cheeked vampire lady is also fun. Isaac... is a moron. Alucard's storyline... maybe I should care but I dont.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rick and Morty really feels like it’s spinning it’s wheels this season because they have such a large episode order to fill up. It feels like they have a bunch of subjects they want to riff on but the characters don’t feel consistent anymore and there isn’t that sense of subtle horror to any of the proceedings. Everyone is used to how crazy living with Rick is, they’re just doing wacky poo poo each week.

I went back to watch a season 4 episode and it’s like an entirely different show. Did the writers sense of humor get numbed by covid?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched all Futurama this year and I think it maintains a pretty high quality even in the seasons after it was brought back. Nothing quite hits the highs of season 4 but there's still some really solid episodes. Simpson was still great in its season 7 though so that makes sense. They hadn't run out of concepts.

Rick and Morty is only on season 5 and they're only doing 10 episodes per season. By the standards of network shows they'd only be halfway through their season 3. To be running on fumes by their 40-somethingth episode doesn't bode well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Season 5 of R&M had some really weak and unfunny one off episodes but the finale felt more like the old show. It’s either less funny and hard hitting than it used to be or my emotions have been really blunted by pandemic or I’ve just gotten inured to the show because it’s more of a “ah yeah, that was entertaining, and there was good production value, nice job all around” feeling I get from watching it as opposed to laughing or feeling anything in particular.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was very clearly on a tight budget but they made fairly good use of it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That Arcane series that just hit Netflix looks amazing. And it’s well directed too, looks like it’s gonna build some interesting character dynamics. I was worried it’d just be pretty nonsense but there’s some heart to the story.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished the third episode of Arcane, fuuuuck the facial animation is so good. The body mechanics are great too but the soul of the characters is on their faces, they do ugly crying like I’ve never seen done in animation outside of some scene in anime by guys like Hiroyuki Okiura.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hryme posted:

Arcane really surprised me. I can't remember seeing any animation this good before. And that includes Disney and Pixar. I also really liked the story. I am rooting for Powder.

It was in production forever. After Larrikins collapsed at Dreamworks in 2017 a lot of those guys went over to Fortiche where they were just starting production on animation for the series. So since around February or March of 2017 until close to the end of 2020 they were animating it at their studios in Paris, Montpellier and the Canary Islands.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm, McGruder was gonna be showrunner again. Now I’m a bit sad it was cancelled.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After watching all of golden age Simpsons and all of Futurama I tried watching Disenchantment, thinking that I was in the right headspace to enjoy even a lesser Groening production. But man, it was so boring

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Game of Thrones loving crashed and burned like nothing that's been seen before. It's incredible it went from a money printing machine to having all its planned spin-offs and prequels completely cancelled because the final season was so poorly received in every possible way

Don’t worry we have a prequel still coming this year, plus Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Witcher, and a half dozen fantasy projects in various stages of development (like The Fifth Season) all because of how much money Game of Thrones printed when it was still good. It probably also helped get Dune off the ground.

Not sure if any of those will be good but they’ll at least keep vfx studios busy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first season of Big Mouth and its a pretty good show. The repulsive character designs are to make it less creepy and highlight the grossness of puberty. Same reason that a show like Pen15 has its two protagonists played by adults.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I worked for a couple Canadian studios that were always underbidding for projects and then doing change orders in the middle of the show so they’d actually be able to complete them. This worked with traditional networks and toy companies, but the streamers are a different bag. If you say “oh, we’re not going to be able to complete this project unless we do a change order and get more money” the big streamers will just go “okay. We didn’t really need that show anyway” and let the studio fail. The show then never comes out.

The fact that it’s happened twice should now teach studios to bid realistically at the start, but instead what’s happening is the projects are going to publicly owned companies like Wildbrain that will be able to complete the projects while staying afloat but will have their investors eat the loss.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'm kind of confused why Otomo decided to make the film before finishing the manga. I don't know what the story was there, he was maybe offered the budget at that point and it needed to go into production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All these toon boom shows unfortunately kind of look the same due to similar production processes.