Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Are Harley and Ivy dating on the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

MFKZ just got released on Netflix. gently caress the critics this movie is gorgeous and I love it to death. Definitely worth a look if you like weird anime inspired stuff.

France has such an interesting animation industry and has made a lot of tv shows and movie I really love, yet I so rarely see people talking about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ballmastrz 9009 continues to be an amazing show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

I watched Waking Life on DXM and acid and it was amaaaaazing. Maybe your'e just not wathcing it right

Okay but every animated movie is great on acid. I watched Fievel Goes West on acid and it turned an average animated movie into a masterpiece.

Another great movie to watch while on acid is The Last Unicorn, but that's a masterpiece with or without drugs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gently caress YEAH!

Adult Swim makes constantly good choices in programming.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

torgo posted:

I kind of feel like all these spinoffs/reboots are just bored creators/executives sitting at home on lock down and coming up with any sort of nostalgia-based idea they can, since new ideas are hard.

For (non-animated) evidence of this, I present failed kids movie from the 80's, D.A.R.Y.L., is being made into a comedy series.

That may be true, but I am still hyped as Hell for more Clone High.

And the theme song still slaps: https://youtu.be/R8lmbxbiP94

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Apparently word on the grapevine is that Close Enough episodes were produced as 22-minutes (as in, even fully animated) but got cut down to 11-minutes late in production

I really hope that footage is released someday

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, can't stand Tim & Eric

the fact that they might have had a role in us not getting a third season of The Big O just amplifies it further

Wait, what? What the gently caress why did Tim ad Eric do that?!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

actually a 2nd season has been unofficially confirmed (shows up on some people's resumes)

I hope this is true, because I liked Close Enough and would enjoy seeing more of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I’d say Zim revived better than Rocko.

I liked the Zim revival more, but the Rocko revival was also good.

Yay!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I actually really liked Star Trek The Lower Decks.

It's funny, the animation is very fluid, and the main character Mariner is a lot of fun. I recommend giving it a chance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BexGu posted:

The writer's need to tone done Mariner wackiness a bit but the rest of the ensign characters legit being really excited for what they are doing vs the "I'm to old for this bull-poo poo" / glory hogging of the higher rank officers worked really well. There is a ton of fun the writers can have showing just how bad it is in the Lower Decks since every other series has focused on the high ranked officers.

Making the Doctor a old stray cat looking Caitian is a great visual joke for her personality.

I didn't really mind Mariner's whackiness, if only because it's always nice to see a female character be the crazy fun one instead of the standard voice of reason straight man. Also, I thought it was interesting how instead of being in the lower decks because she's a slacker like I initially thought, she's there by choice because she honestly thinks that the lower decks are great and she can do the most amount of good there.

I agree that it was great seeing all the ensigns be so happy and excited about their jobs. As much as I love dark humor and cynicism, it's really nice to watch a show where people love their lives and how they're living them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bring back Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macrame_God posted:

:hai:

Seriously, I still occasionally go back and watch old bits of ATHF. It's crazy how well most of it has held up.

I recently did a Quarantine rewatch of the whole series, it's still a solidly hilarious show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Probably will happen since Adult Swim will be losing all of the Fox animation shows besides American Dad soon

Also, Lazzo is gone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

O don't know if that would work, Waits' voice is best used for long rambling monolgues that make everyone uncomfortable because you just know they all end with "...and thats why they had to die."

Yeah, Waits is a whole different kind of crazy. He's more "This dude might literally be Satan in the form of a man here to trick me into losing my soul" crazy.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 22, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I liked Lower Decks and I hope it gets a second season. I enjoyed the characters and I'd like to see them do more things.

It's a solid "good" for me, better then "okay" but not all the way up to "great".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clone High is one of those shows that everyone who sees it loves, yet got canceled any way for some reason.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately, while they haven't outright started, the reboot announcement mentioned a bunch of characters when it was describing the premise of the reboot, and Gandhi wasn't among them.

Can they bring back his voice actor and just have him voice someone else?

Michael McDonald was great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is the first I'm hearing of it, but now I very much want to check it out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t seen it but there’s absolutely no way the target is anything other than the original audience. Have you seen modern cartoons? Kids today would never put this on in a million years if their parents don’t make them.

Hey! Teen Titians Go and the new Ducktales are very kid friendly :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Adventure Time had a significant strength in there being something for everyone; I felt it had fewer "good" or "bad" episodes than "episodes that were my style" and ones that were "not my style".

I mean ultimately, my favorite episode ended up being Box Prince which I don't think anyone else particularly even liked.

wrong, I LOVED box prince.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

There is a void in my life that has been left by Bojack Horseman and it cannot be filled by rewatching Bojack Horseman. God I wish I had even one more show in that vein with that caliber of wordplay.

That show had some of the greatest animal puns of all time and I miss it dearly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

Netflix has a total deathgrip on their data, but word from the Bojack thread was just that they did actual zero promotion for the show. We had dozens of goons who were like "The only show i have ever watched on netflix is Bojack and I only heard of T&B from this thread"

there were some theories that unless your Netflix algorithm had you pegged as an out teenage lesbian it would just refuse to recommend it to you.

Yeah, I was one of the many people who never had it recommend to them by the algorithm, despite using Netflix to almost exclusively to watch adult targeted cartoons at the time.

I only knew it was out because I had been following the production, either through malice or incompetence that show got buried.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is very lisa hanawalt, it is clearly an extension of work from one of her art books (hot dog taste test). like if netflix gave her a show based on the strength of her work for bojack, tuca and bertie would have been the exact kind of show she was most likely to make

this book was published in 2015

I heard Tiffany Haddish's voice in my head as I read this.

I'm so excited to have another season of this show in my future.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I tried Disenchanted for like 4 episodes and I’m gonna be honest, I’m just too old for shows where a central plot conceit is that one of the boy characters is just obsessed with one of the girl characters. The Fry/Leela romance had some great writing in the original 4 season run of Futurama and recycling it here just seems, uh, incredibly lazy and stupid, IMO.

Fry and Leela works because they're both entertaining characters, Elfo and Bean doesn't work because Elfo is a terrible character who drags down every scene he's a part of.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriously fuckin love Clone High so much but do they even make those kinds of shows anymore? Would a 2021 Clone High be like a funny take on Euphoria instead of Beverly Hills 90210?

I'd be up for Clone High being a funny take on Riverdale, but that show may be beyond parody.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Close Enough season 2 is out on HBO max. Its pretty good so far. The episodes seem to be written to be 11 minutes long, unlike whatever happened in the first season where they were edited down for whatever reason.

Yeah, it's a real improvement and the pacing makes it obvious these episodes were actually written to be the length that they are.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megera posted:

i don't think there's there's enough action in the Bojack/Tuca & Bertie thread to keep posting in it anymore, but i can delete this and post it there if i'm wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrCEamNs6s

I don't think you need to delete this post, but you can go ahead and post this in the other thread too. There has been any new post because there wasn't any new stuff, now there is

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually recently rediscovered American Dad and what's great about it after it was one more thing I just really didn't want to deal with with the looming trump administration to think about. It doesn't seem like they actually referenced it, but I didn't want to take the chance. So many comedians wanted to make Trump jokes but none of them could distract from the crushing bleakness of it.

I remember American Dad started as a half-baked satire of the W days, but it didn't really work well and only came into its own when they pushed the current politics to the background. They freed up Stan to be a more reasonable and occasionally sympathetic character instead of just an avatar of darkness, they let Haley develop into a character just trying to find her way in the world, and Francine and Steve could just get extremely weird. I'm glad that they didn't try to return to their roots.

American Dad is my favorite adult cartoon currently airing, and arguably the best one out there. The show really found it's footing when they stopped doing political humor and moved more towards character driven comedy and magic realism.

They did exactly one episode based around the Trump administration: Railroaded, and it's one of the few parodies of Trump related things that manages to be funny (it helps that they don't actually show or mention Trump by name at all).

The_Doctor posted:

We have a thread! Come join us, fellow Dadder!

New episodes coming April 19th!

https://twitter.com/AmericanDadTBS/status/1352337714708963329?s=20

Anyway, about Birdgirl: It's....fine. Not great, not bad, just.....fine. I'm willing to give it a chance though, hopefully they'll do an American dad style finding their footing soon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://deadline.com/2021/04/star-trek-lower-decks-renewed-season-three-paramount-season-2-teaser-1234727912/amp/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/duncanville-scores-early-season-3-renewal-at-fox

Star Trek Lower Decks and Duncanville have both been early renewed for third seasons.

This pleases me, I like both of those shows and am happy to see more of them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megera posted:

I'm rewatching YOLO Crystal Fantasy and it's still great. Also Saberspark's latest vid introduced me to Peepoodo, which is unlike anything I've ever watched, and it's super entertaining. It somehow manages to be super crass but not in an eye rolling way.

The second season of Peepoodo just started coming out thanks to Kickstarter so get excited because there are more cute animal dongs coming your way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TwoPair posted:

I feel like it's weird that no one here has mentioned that Venture Bros is getting a movie, as are... Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I figured they'd just do some VB comics to stop the big public outcry after its cancellation and as far as the other two... well I did not see that coming.

I like to believe that I personally willed the Aqua Teen Hungerforce movie into existence.

However, if it ends up being bad I will take no responsibility for my actions.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Does the Great North need its own thread? I want to complain how lacklustre it is.

Can't you just do that here? Also I agree with you, but I did like the vibes of the final episode:

Everyone is terrified that the estranged mother is going to show up and ruin the wedding, but she doesn't show up and the wedding is perfect but they're left with a kind of slight sadness that the terrible mom didn't even bother to come. Like, yeah, that's a mood. Not wanting a horrible parent around, then feeling sad when they're not around because it's a reminder that they just don't care. But instead of focusing on that you focuses on all the people in your life who did show up because they love you and you can share your happiness with them.

Also, Duncanville continues to be good. The most recent episode revolving around telling your dad to gently caress off was surprisingly sweet and wholesome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I've only watched Great North up to the bigfoot episode so far (ep 8). It's not exactly been funny so far, and there's never any real challenges the characters face, but I appreciate the near relentless dumb optimism they all have. I think the best bit so far was Ham's recollections of seeing Shrek. I did point out to my housemate that the 'quirky small Alaskan town full of nutcases' thing means this show is just an animated Northern Exposure.

Agreed, whatever Ham thought Shrek was has been the highlight of the show so far.

Another highlight for me: The Grownup Zone song from the Bigfoot episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Finally got caught up on Duncanville and drat I haaaaated the election episode. Though to it's credit I hate like 98% of sitcom election episodes for very similar reasons.

Basically, my complaints boil down to 3 main points:

1) The show is subtly trying to do a Trump/Hillary thing while fundamentally misdiagnosing why Hillary lost. She didn't lose because she was just too mature and cool while Trump was promising everybody a pony. She lost because she was a conservative psychopath who offered nothing and as a result a lot of left leaning people stayed home. It was a very SNL take on the election.

2) Once in power Duncan just does whatever people want without question which is framed as wildly irresponsible and ultimately dooms the school. Despite the show's ostensibly liberal outlook this is actually a super conservative message and frankly it made me very uncomfortable to watch. Seriously, what's the takeaway from this storyline other than "democracy is bad and people can't be trusted to self govern"? Not to mention the fact that NOBODY in politics actually runs on just giving everybody everything they want and EVERYBODY understands that there are limits to what's possible with the government. If anything people wildly underestimate how much is possible. Hell, is there ~anybody~ in our blighted political hellscape who does anything on behalf of normal people these days? Frankly I'd kill for a few people with Duncan's attitude to be in power. The entire premise of the episode is literally the "tax and spend" liberal fantasy you see peddled daily on Fox News repackaged for liberals. It's super gross. Oh, and DONALD TRUMP DID NOT JUST GIVE EVERYBODY WHAT THEY WANTED ONCE IN OFFICE. HE WAS A CON MAN WHO DID NOTHING FOR NORMAL PEOPLE BUT INSTEAD ROBBED THE COUNTRY AND GAVE THE SPOILS TO HIS RICH FRIENDS! THIS WAS LESS THAN A YEAR AGO WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! *tears out several fistfuls of hair*

3) The flossing bear gag just screamed "old people trying to stick it to a youth culture they don't understand" and somebody thought it was a good idea to make the whole plot hinge on it. These parts were even more painful to get through than all the bad political commentary.

Anyways other than that the show is pretty good and I'm really enjoying season 2. I strongly recommend it for anybody who likes stuff like Bob's Burgers.

I get that subjective reality alters everyone's perspectives based on their past experiences and beliefs, but we must be in a movie theater cause there's a lot of projecting going on over here.

I watched this same episode and didn't get any of this out of it, watched it again after reading your post to see if I missed something the first time and frankly none of it lines up. This feels more like a "you" thing rather than a thing that was in anyway intended by anyone involved with making the show.

1) You claim the show was subtly trying to do a Trump/Hilary thing, but how? At no point do Duncan or Mia quote anything said by either Hilary or Trump, nor does Duncan do anything that could serve as a parallel to the Trump Presidency upon being elected. As far as I noticed the only presidential quote that was refenced was Reagan's "tear down your wall", and honestly Reagan vs. Carter fits the episode way better than Trump vs. Hilary what with the whole one candidate (Mia) wanting to do a bunch of boring sounding environmental stuff while the other candidate (Duncan) promises to do a bunch of things that will cause short term prosperity for a select amount of people and then bring about serious long term damage. You even said within your post that Mia losing doesn't match up with the reason Hilary lost.

2.) Once again you point out that what Duncan did doesn't match up with anything Trump did, which kind of defeats the whole overall point of your argument. You also don't seem to understand why what Duncan did was wrong, even though he locked all the teacher's in the basement and spent the school's entire budget within a week on a bunch of dangerous stuff that led to the entire student body being attacked by bears. Like you said nobody in politics runs on just giving everyone what they want, that's something a dumb teenager would do, which is what Duncan is. Shenanigans ensue.

3.) I'm old and out of touch, but how was a bunch of kids getting excited about dancing bears trying to "stick it to youth culture"? A cute animal did a cute thing on the internet and people thought it was neat, that happens with teenagers and adults all the time. It's just that in this case the cute animals were bears and bears are incredibly violent when not fed and Duncan spent all of the schools money and didn't have any cash leftover to buy bear food and thus the bears attacked. The moral here is "feed the bears you hired to dance or else they'll eat your face" which isn't a lesson that's political in nature, but still one that's important to learn none the less.

It seems like you have some PTSD regarding the 2016 election, and I get that, but in this case it's making you see things and make connections that aren't actually there.

Pararoid posted:

All cartoon parodies of Trump and 2016 were dreadful and unfunny with no exceptions.

The American Dad! Episode "Railroaded" is an exception to this rule, but from what I've seen it's the only exception.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rand Brittain posted:

The way I heard it described is that Holdo is basically the representative of the new direction Star Wars is taking in TLJ, where actions have consequences and solders should obey their commanding officers, and for this reason the other characters are legitimately annoyed and threatened by her because they've been running on the previous set of Star Wars rules where hotshots doing their own thing is effective and correct, and nobody told them that the rules were changing.

The new way sounds worse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Gumball owns and this episode is good but it’s doing another thing that bugs me in election episodes where it conflates liberal status quo technocrats with leftist firebrands so it loses a few points there. I swear to god I’m going to give myself a stroke trying to explain the difference to people someday.
You are correct that I have terminal 2016 poisoning so feel free to take my takes with a grain of salt. I mostly just wanted to bitch about the “smart nerd vs dumb guy election” trope so feel free to ignore the first point entirely if you’d like. That said I don’t ~think~ I’m wrong here. Mostly because I’ve seen takes like this before and I find it hard believe that any progressively minded piece of election media made during the Trump years could be made without Hillary’s loss at least a little bit in mind. Art is subjective though and reasonable people can disagree I suppose. :shrug:

Not the flossing bear thing though. That was objectively bad and I will die on this hill. Did kids even care about that dance for more than five seconds!? Please help I’m very old and can no longer understand anybody under 30.

It's true that we'll never know for sure what the writers were intending (unless they tell us on the DVD commentary), and I would agree that the episode is a bad take on the 2016 election, but there are absolutely no references to anything related to the 2016 election (Duncan never puts on a red cap or says he's going to "make the school great again", Mia doesn't call anyone deplorable or get called a nasty woman, there are a million stupid jokes they could have done that I've seen on a million other shows that did 2016 election spoofs. A million is probably an exaggeration, but it feels like a million) so I'm inclined to give the show the benefit of the doubt and assume that the reason it doesn't match up at all with the 2016 election is because that wasn't what they were trying to do and it was instead just a "irresponsible person gets power and does dumb poo poo" plot because that's an easy set for jokes (but again, if on the DVD commentary they say "this episode was intended to parody the 2016 election" then you automatically retroactively win this argument).

And for what it's worth, Mia didn't just lose because she was smart, she lost because she was only focusing on things she cared about and not what the rest of the students were interested in. The rest of the school only starts listening to her when she finally brings up topics they actually care about and how Duncan's actions as president will negatively impact those things (like prom and whatever key club is). Like, she started out wanting to cancel prom so everyone could go clean up a river, I wouldn't have voted for her either.

I'm apparently even older and more out of touch than you are because the bear thing didn't even register as cringe to me, I wasn't even aware that was a dance kids were into at any point in time. Like, you're probably right, but I'll never know. The only thing I noticed was that there was a polar bear, and grizzly bear, and a panda bear, like in We Bare Bears! And that's about where my pop cultural awareness ends.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's my thing and I'm very happy about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

drat, that’s wild! I really never thought of Namor as being underground or particularly unpopular, then again I guess my dad was really into Thor and Namor and maybe we just had these comics around? I dunno, I always thought Namor was a bigger deal. This episode was great!

It's always weird to discover what pieces of popular culture you thought were well known by your entire generation just completely passed a lot of people by, and what well known popular culture thing you yourself somehow went decades not knowing.

I loved the episode but I feel like a lot of enjoyment of it hinges on whether or not you know who Namor is and that Richard Reeds of the Fantastic Four has a rivalry with a sexy fish man who wants to bone his wife (and his wife is NOT opposed to that).