Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know I've heard the story of a crazed stalker fan, but if that's the inspiration for that bit, something was lost along the way, because they only seem to be referencing the fairly benign obsessing over minor errors or exploring the little gags.

I mean if the last few years have shown anything there isn't actually that much of a line between the two behaviors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Warbird posted:

Boy you folks are in for a bad time when you find out about working conditions and culture of most animation houses.

Hey at least there's anime - oh no

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
i hate to say it but bust rodd is right

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Flopsy posted:

I've been trying to avoid the Velma show but I'm literally having it shoved in my face on every platform and everything I see makes it worse by the minute. How is it possible to make something this universally loathed across the political spectrum?

When the trailer for Q-Force (remember Q-Force?) came out it was the only time both sides of the political spectrum came together on something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
On one hand: I do retroactively appreciate that Avatar the Last Airbender was committed to the message that Zuko's birth family loving sucks and never really tries to redeem them.

On the other hand: I'm pretty sure if Dragonball Z aired in 2016-2020 huge swathes of the internet would burn itself to the ground over Vegeta's redemption arc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

i find attempts to scrutinize childrens media as if they are adult media to be extremely tedious

Yeah I feel like the people getting apoplectic over She-Ra and Steven Universe should probably "graduate" to adult media, known for thematically satisfying endings like Game of Thrones :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Samurai Jack season 5 was my Game of Thrones ending. It made me so disillusioned with Genndy I never bothered with Primal.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The long drawn out moments where nobody says anything are the good part of Samurai Jack tho

Like the part everyone hates about Season 5 (the romance) is the opposite of that

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The time travel story where the main character actually decides to stay in the future is Jak II :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I don't think they cancelled it because they are cheap or anything. I heard something about it being the pet project of some billionaire's son, so it could probably go on forever if they really wanted it to.

Nick Kroll, son of billionaire Jules Kroll.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno him getting mad caused him to purchase twitter and lose a bunch of money.

Yeah Elon is not like Trump he is obviously bothered by negative attention (based on how every Twitter update is motivated to try and prevent Twitter users from making fun of him) and it's very funny

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

I'm disappointed Clancy Brown is not on this list. :colbert:

Clancy Brown has 2 voices, regular Clancy Brown and Mr. Krabs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Every person I know who got disillusioned with American comics said it was because the writers/editors/companies were obsessed with the shortest of short term profits to the detriment of any kind of storytelling. Why get invested in anything if they're going to be revealed to be secretly a nazi for shock value, or they might become too popular and have their solo series get atomized by 20 different crossover events. Logically the bad runs shouldn't subtract from the good runs, but that's not really how people think, otherwise nobody would care if the ending to something is bad or if it's all just a dream.

In theory a change in writers or artists doesn't mean everything is going to get thrown out and they could continue the narrative threads of the old creative team, but that's often not the case.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Guillermo is a huge weeb, the down-to-earth grounded animation with some kind of real life relevance that he's praising is stuff like your Ghibli movies, or the gifs that get retweeted by sakuga anime accounts. Compared to your Ice Ages, your Despicable Mes, the Hotel Transylvanias, etc. Illumination is so much worse than Dreamworks in this sense.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 18, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
But on the brighter side, we have this:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1684315300626419712

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
By the time Fry starts making moves on Leela I got the impression that they're already both into each other and know it, Leela just didn't want to commit. It's still dragged out and feels like it goes on forever especially if you are binging the show today, but it was never really totally not mutual.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah don't underestimate Michael Cera's effect on women.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

Wait.

Do...do you consider Big Bang Theory to be good or even watchable?

They mean ratings as in TV ratings (i.e. number of viewers) not critically.

Neeksy posted:

I think there's a difference between a show that has cursing or violence in it and a show that relies on cursing or violence in lieu of writing actual jokes.

I think there's also a difference between having sex and violence as just a part of your show and deliberately leaning into those things to be provocative. Like, the Love Death & Robots series from a while back was a really blatant example of studios receiving "make an adult/mature cartoon short" as the assignment and immediately taking that to mean turning the blood/titty setting to max. And that kind of feels like a shame.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

Am I right in getting the sense that what a lot of goons itt would like is, essentially, a kid's cartoon that happens to star adults? i.e. no swearing, no gore, no sex, low cynicism, looks bright and colourful?

Not really? Like what a lot of other posters have said already, there's a lot of anime that isn't superheroes or giant robots that would be very boring to an actual child but deal with subject matter that is itself "adult". Like really lowkey and grounded personal dramas where nobody has superpowers.

e. I'm trying not to be a dick but it's really weird to be in this thread and define maturity as how graphic and cynical it is. Nobody would do this for any medium that wasn't cartoons!

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Very early Rugrats is a kids cartoon that has weirdly adult themes because all of the early episodes are really about the parents and types of parenting and parental experiences (like being forced to sit through an extremely stupid kids movie or being at beck and call for a sick child.) Literally all of that goes over your head as an actual kid.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm just trying to understand. I've largely seen complaints about certain trends in adult animation ("cheap violence", "Even something pretty tame like Futurama will feel the need to get nasty here and there", "cussing", a lack of "actually mature themes"), rather than getting a sense of what people would prefer adult animation to be.

I might be mistaken, but I think you're the first goon to define what the counter examples would look like, rather than provide examples (like Nana) that fit through the sieve.

Maybe this is coming across as hostile myself, but it's not intended to. I'm trying to construct an understanding of what people are looking for (and it sounds like they're looking for Strange World on Apple?) rather than what they're reacting against.

Sorry, my jimmies were rustled, I can admit that. It's kinda hard to pin down because usually the things that provoke this reaction aren't very well liked (so it's difficult to separate from perceived quality) but if you want another counterexample the reaction to Sausage Party is a pretty good one.

E. Wait I read that wrong WHATEVER

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Warbird posted:

Oh man, the 4AM Pudding was a vibe for a good bit for me. It turned into a weirdly wholesome self help thing on /v/ something like a decade ago. It helped that they co-opted that Protomen song what whipped rear end.

I’m also realizing just now that the Protomen are just less successful GWAR comprised of somehow even bigger dorks.

IT'S ALL GONNA BURN
THE ONLY WAY THEY'LL EVER LEARN

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The reason why it got banned from Something Awful is that the author is, like, maximum otaku brained and is open about how much he wants to gently caress the characters who look like five year olds. It's like the Piss Forest comic strip but the Piss Forest is weirdly sexualized child torture, also there are people who are really adamant about how good worldbuilding the Piss Forest is.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The best one for me was when FFVII Remake showed off Aerith, who was clearly in her twenties and could definitely not be misconstrued as a teenager, so someone immediately "improved" her design by giving her a perfectly round child face.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about this. They also got really weird about her (completely normal) nose because noses are masculine apparently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Shinzo Abe Wants You to gently caress is technically rooted in real politics but spamming it with any mention of children/families in anime is just a (pretty racist) meme.

Like mentioned if anything the hardcore fetishy otaku stuff is kind of in defiance to that sort of conservatism (not saying that justifies it).

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 4, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Right before the isekai boom it was trashy light novel adaptations harem romances where they all go to magic school.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If we're already talking about kids shows I really liked ATLA's finale too, though I think that's a little controversial.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It wasn't a bad finale at all but I wish we got to see more of Ozai before that episode.

Really? I'm interested in this POV, because I actually thought it was to the shows credit that they recognized that Ozai is not a deep enough character to support a lot of screen time. There's nothing really wrong with these kind of functional characters as long as you treat then as they should, which they did.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The thing that always trips me up is that Mega Man is voiced by the guy who did the original Ocean Dub Goku. Once you hear it you can't stop.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The immediate release of plushes and merch really soured me on it though, combined with them rushing to impress just how much trauma the characters are going to go through and it feels like a grossly cynical attempt at audience manipulation rather than something truly heartfelt.

I don't think Digital Circus is an Industy Plant like some people were insinuating (why would anyone want plants in this industry anyway), but that was jarring. The nicest way you can view it is that maybe they just really wamted to make cute merch of their OCs and already spent a lot of thought on it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sivart13 posted:

my brain is still stuck in the early 2000s where a goon spent months trying to produce a Fiestacat plushie and ended up with this

Thank you for this I died at the manufacturer apparently only being able to do pomeranians

mycot fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 30, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

DoctorWhat posted:

Jason Schwartzman has been doing voice acting for decades.

You're probably familiar with his role as recent Tumblr sexyman The Spot in Spiderverse, which made me wonder about how Gideon would be received.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

starkebn posted:

All the positive discussion about Scott Pilgrim talks about how great it is the cast came back and what a good adaption it is

I...think you must be looking at some very unique places

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nikumatic posted:

I find it loving hilarious that apparently the cast originally got back in touch was because they had a group e-mail chain together and someone posted a meme.

Nine years later, Michael Cera replied all "Oh, that's funny" and Chris Evans replied "Michael what the gently caress are you doing responding to a nine year old e-mail".

It's the funniest possible actor/character combination for that to happen to.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Electric Phantasm posted:

I will continue to fawn over Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Lucas Lee's hot bod. :colbert:

He was NOT nearly that big in the original it's so funny

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes someone please make a Blue Eye Samurai thread, both because I still haven’t finished it and to annoy that person who disliked when this thread was mostly people saying they enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off
:hmmyes:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

This is unironically one of my favorite YouTube videos.

Rip to a legend.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Mostly directed at BNA but why does almost every single Fantasy Racism story eventually have some kind of plot device that brainwashes the oppressed group into acting crazy and violent?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's not really the same type of implosion. GOT just limped to a really dumb ending for its plot, Beastars basically completely changes genres and becomes a weird action battle shonen. Which means 2/3 of the main characters from the first half fall off in relevancy.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yes