Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
:siren: Netflix actually does have an option for disabling auto-previews, as of last February: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/praise-the-algorithm-netflix-lets-you-opt-out-of-loud-autoplaying-previews/.:siren:

Weirdly you can only change that setting from a browser, so if you're watching it on a Roku, a console, or some other streaming device you'll never see that option. Works on a per-profile basis too, so you can just change yours in the event you share an account with some monster who likes the auto-previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

While the first season had it's moments, this one was remarkably uninteresting. I will forget most of this in a week. It's short, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I finished volume 2 a little while ago, and this is pretty much exactly where I come down. I just didn't find anything meaty to chew on with any of these. While volume 1 had a few that I still think about to this day (hell, after finishing vol. 2 I went back to watch Zima Blue again and it still rules), this entire season just went in one ear and out the other. I think the only standouts for me were Ice and Tall Grass, and those are both just for the neat visual aesthetics rather than the actual stories, both of which were pretty meh. I still appreciate the idea behind LD+R though, and I'll watch volume 3 in the hopes that it's a bit crunchier.

(Also, there are only eight episodes and two of them were both about malfunctioning cleaning robots trying to kill people? There was a clear difference in tone, but that still felt like a bit much.)

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

Yasuke isn't bad but it kind of feels like it was a much longer project that got cut down to 6 episodes.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if we could discuss this here but I really wanted to hear some more thoughts on what happened because this was a cool idea that ended up being so mediocre. I went into it blind and was just utterly disappointed. They should have just taken the flashback scenes and fleshed that out into the actual show, because that's where all the interesting story was. The present-day story is about a poorly-defined conflict involving flat characters and Yasuke himself frequently feels like an extra there, but even if they fixed that they went through like four different antagonists in six episodes and none of them had any time to develop into compelling villains. It's utterly bewildering at times, and I actually paused a few minutes in to episode five to check if Netflix had somehow skipped a few episodes because I felt like I had missed a ton of events.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

I Am Fowl posted:

Agreed; Winston is basically the only one who brings it close to working because he's a character you can understand and he's more flexible than the other characters in terms of trying to make the situation work. Not just as a show, but in the reality of the show, he's the only one trying to meaningfully help Emma/Melinda and it balances the dynamics of the group while the others either just rigidly go "We must do X" or insist they must stop fighting without making any actual effort to stop their conflict.

Maybe the second season will be better, but again it's so strange how this feels so thin compared to something like Primal which had almost no dialogue.

Yeah, seriously. I finished watching the season last night and it's wild to think that this is ostensibly an action show but the love triangle is the only part of the plot that has anything at all interesting going on. It's also weird how in spite of multiple characters (including seemingly well-informed characters like Merlin and the Rakshasa) constantly talking about the absolute gravity of the situation and how catastrophic everything is the actual stakes feel completely absent to me. I was hoping Winston or Emma would chime in at some point and ask a basic question like "so what exactly is this thing we've pledged to fight an eternal war against and why does it want to destroy existence?" since, again, we've got Merlin right there who presumably could at least partially answer those questions (or admit that even he is out of his depth and is making it up as he goes). I get that the other warriors have been doing this forever and so maybe already know (Seng, Melinda) or just don't care (Edred), but I'm just sitting here lost. Even though I think the quality of the voice acting is good, the characters sure don't seem to have anything to add most of the time.

It's a good thing that this show looks as incredible as it does, because otherwise I would've checked out a long time ago.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Pararoid posted:

Disenchantment will end after the next 10 episode block, dropping on Sept 1st.

I'm sad it didn't work out better; Eric Andre in a Simpsons/Futurama setting sounds like a lot more fun than it was.

Same, it's a show that on paper should be great but they really just never figured out what they wanted to do with this. Half of the time it was an episodic sitcom, half of the time they were trying to do some grand serialized story, and neither of them really worked. The fact that all three of the main characters' personalities became essentially interchangeable over time really didn't help things either.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

One of the other kingdoms is a steampunk one with more modern tech.

And, far more importantly, is run by an eccentric inventor voiced by Richard Ayoade. It's unreal how this show managed to waste such a stacked cast.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Data Graham posted:

I'm only a little ways ahead of you. Right around mid-S5 and into S6 it seems like the "lore" stuff just ramps way the hell up and everything is some deep significant poo poo. I've had to go looking the episodes up in the wiki right after and see what the reference nerds have mined out of them. This wasn't necessary earlier on

Some of the experimental concept episodes work real well, some are baffling

I'm at about the same point in the run, having not watched these episodes basically since they were new. I remember people getting into huge arguments about whether a lot of these episodes were secretly brilliant or just the writers absolutely disappearing up their own asses. I leaned more toward the former when finding animation with interesting themes and world-building was still the exception, but looking back I find myself leaning more toward the latter as I find the execution of the ideas often just doesn't land for me anymore. A lot of these episodes don't elicit much of a reaction from me, just sort of an "okay I get it, can we please move on?" It's a shame, because the early seasons remain as fun and energetic as I remembered and were a real treat to revisit. If I weren't doing this re-watch to eventually bridge into the sequel series then I'd seriously consider skipping a lot of these episodes.

And good lord I want to just mute every Lemongrab episode now. I don't want to skip them because the plots tend to be weird and interesting, but the constant screaming is just miserable to my ears.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Another Kevin Smith Masters of the Universe series dropped on Netflix and I thought it was really worth watching. I say this as someone with no real understanding of the lore or whatever and whose exposure was basically limited to owning some of the toys as a small child, vague memories of the 80s cartoon, and the most recent miniseries Smith did. There's some surprisingly good character moments regarding characters who were created solely to tell toys and the animation was really strong throughout.

Also there are a bunch of sick new character designs which would make excellent toys, but that's neither here nor there.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

roomtone posted:

royal crackers seems pretty good based on the first 3 eps of s1. there are some clunker jokes but it's actually made me laugh.

I just started watching this too and I can't believe I slept on it. It's genuinely hilarious. Somehow Adult Swim is still picking winners even given the generally degraded state of cable TV with stuff like this and Smiling Friends.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

I honestly thought the show started to fall apart when they moved from 11 minute episodes to 22 minutes episodes, and the movies didn't make it better. This premise just worked better in short bursts. I'm not going to sit here and say it ruined the rest of the series, because it didn't, but it wasn't worth the wait.

Yeah this is kind of where I ended up with Metalocalypse. The first season is a ton of fun and at no point did I think the shadowy conspiracy was anything beyond a framing device to underline how absolutely stupid and funny the premise of the show is. The latter seasons of the show really leaned into it at the expense of the comedy and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I guess at some point they decided that people were actually watching because they were invested in the mythos, not because they were cracking up at parodies of heavy metal excess taken to extremes?

The closest comparison I can think of is the continued inclusion of the modern day plots in the Assassin's Creed games. Someone making this stuff clearly thinks this matters, but do they really think that's why these games became popular?

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

repiv posted:

the youtube ecosystem aimed at toddlers with ipads has latched onto TADC so regardless of the creators intent i think kids are watching it

https://twitter.com/sugarsmorecake/status/1773063013748068691

Someone please tell me that this is some kind of Tim & Eric nightmare comedy sketch and not a real thing aimed at children. The OS bedtime warning at the end is too perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

YggiDee posted:

How on Earth did we get a Dilbert cartoon? was it... any good?

As mentioned, yes it's actually good and there's not that much of it so you can watch it all in an afternoon. I think it helps if you remember that Scott Adams hadn't gone completely insane yet and that Dilbert was a genuinely beloved comic strip, especially by nerdy types who identified with Dilbert as the smart guy struggling against the odds. It's only later on that we all realized that maybe those fake sociopathic business books that Adams was writing weren't supposed to be satire.