Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Are there are good portals where people upload short animations outside of youtube these days? I'm thinking like newgrounds was in the old days kind of thing, but maybe better and/or curated or something.

I know you can just find things on youtube but searching for animations on there tends to bring up a lot of either corny or childish stuff. There's no real rating system or genre type of searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

seems like a weird and obvious hole in the ecosystem to me. even just a youtube animation subsite kind of thing would do, but i don't think that exists. i suppose i'll start checking newgrounds, i assumed it was a dead website but it doesn't seem to be actually so that's cool. just found a series called sublo and tangy mustard which actually was well made and written, so that's a promising start.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

thanks that's a lot of stuff i haven't seen

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Watched Spine of Night, it got recommended amongst others I've watched in this topic.

That movie started off okay and then kind of got bad, and then got really good in the last 30 minutes. Pretty rare for a movie to lose me and then get me back like that. You really can pack an epic story in a novel fantasy world into 90 minutes.

I could get into more of this full on fantasy animated movie stuff. Apparently this is considered a throwback to 70's-80's animation so I should start looking into that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 16, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

what's the deal with adventure time post season 5 or so, which i when i last watched it. i think i stopped somewhere in the gigantic 52 episode 5th season.

now i check and there are 10 seasons and possibly a bunch of offshoots/miniseries. was there a drop off in quality? does this all need to be watched in order?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

So there's no active adventime time thread it seems like, found a big one but it's vaulted so I can't bump it. Just wrapping up season 5 of this, after a I dunno, decade+ long break.

I really like it. It's basically got the kind of anarchic humour and cool fantasy/sci fi plot lines that appealed to me about something like Rick and Morty, but because it's ostensibily for kids it has a hard limit on how gross and bleak it can get. Still, there are many episodes that surprise my with how hosed up they are willing to let things be. Like for example in BMO lost, the whole last minute of Jake just casually popping the sentient bubble who asked BMO to get married, and then the following speech about how BMO will never have privacy again.

LSP commited manslaughter while trying to wipe her bf's memory, and then PB wiped LSP's memory so he's forgotten.

Plus most things PB is involved in.

Even Finn and Jake who you would expect to be the moral centre occasionally get very weird.

It's really nice to come back to this, find I enjoy it, and find that it continued on for 5 more seasons after I stopped watching.

Kinda over Lemongrab though!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm mid adventure time season 6 and things are getting pretty crazy. just watched pyjama wars, evergreen and astral plane.

i can't believe i've still got like 100 episodes to go. how did they make so much of this and are kind of still going.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Just watched up to the end of Stakes in S7 of Adventure Time. I thought it was really good, even though Marceline is one of my less liked characters. The story was cool and I enjoyed the serialisation. I even think it's funny how the story wraps up in a way that 100% restores the status quo.

PB might be my favourite character. Although, Finn, BMO and Ice King/Simon are close in the running. The only main character I get a bit bored with is Jake, his episodes are usually my least favourites. I would like to see more LSP but I get the feeling she's polarising so they don't want to overdo it.

Not that many to go now, really, cos the last seasons are a lot shorter. Then onto Distant Lands and then Fionna and Cake.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I don't even remember why I stopped watching AT first time but it was also at the flame Princess stuff which probably isn't a coincidence. I think I just lost interest.

And here I am now in S7

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

You could just go back and watch the show if you're interested. It isn't any less worth watching because it didn't air this week

That's what I'm doing. It was a coincidence though - I didn't even know F+C existed and I haven't liked the alt gender swap versions anyway so I'm more excited about watching distant lands.

I'm sure I'll enjoy F+C when I get to it though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Treetrunks focus is an ep skip for me. She's okay in small doses but her schtick doesn't do much for me

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

she appears weirdly frequently considering the pool of characters they have to pick from. somebody in creative must've really liked her.

i've always felt like there was this element of - isn't this character terrible? isn't it funny how she's getting so much screentime? but the character isn't terrible enough for that to loop back around to funny like it does with LSP for example, who makes me laugh pretty consistently

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

are the adventure time games any good?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ah well, if i must

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I'm up through the end of the Elements arc in Adventure Time original series, so I'll be onto Fionna and Cake pretty soon probably. Only got a few hours of AT left to go.

They aren't really miniseries cos they are slotted into the seasons totally naturally. They're just arcs, or you could lump them together as mega-episodes/movies in the middle of the season.

Anyway I'd go Stakes -> Elements -> Islands for arc quality on this. I didn't really like Islands, felt like it was just sort of rambling and Finn's mother storyline was a disappointment. Not the idea, just how it was done.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Tiny Man posted:

HBO Max has a new series coming up that looks gorgeous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsZVmVPn4E

that looks cool i'm gonna watch it

hopefully it has good writing

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Watched the first 3 Adventure Time: Distant Lands and I dunno, they were okay. I don't think separating the cast and putting them into totally different contexts than they usually exist in really worked for me. Actually it just made me a bit sad, because it feels like things move on and nobody is the same/people are forgotten, which is an experience, but the episodes themselves weren't that great and didn't have a lot of laughs.

Like, the original ending was fine, so I didn't need another one or a 'what else did they get up to' because there were like 250 episodes, so it just feels like some bonus material. Like, they got to do a full episode of PB and Marceline being explicitly a couple which they probably weren't allowed to do on the original show and I'm sure some fans enjoyed.

I'm really curious to start Fionna and Cake and see what happens there, though. I know there's another Distant Lands focused on peppermint butler but he doesn't do anything for me and I hear it isn't very good anyway so I'll watch it in like 5 years.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm super sorry bros

i'm gonna have to give fionna and cake a b minus

simon petrikov turned out to be a pretty boring character.
wanted more fionna, she was an afterthoughht, and cake kind of came off like an rear end in a top hat.
growing up is the message, i guess.....like....accepting limitations, our born prison as natural...cool theme
fun to see a few alt versions of the classic gang? yeah. plot was at least followable, yeah.

but overall i dunno. the direction of growth for the AT crew and mine have diverged.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

watched all of the bee and puppycat netflix series.

weird show. enjoyable. constantly felt like it should have been better than it was, though. there were some really strong elements, and some really whatever ones, and it never totally came together. i suppose that's the vibe it is going for. like, they didn't try too hard to whittle this concept down. just throw whatever in there. it's about a lazy woman who works menial jobs, actually nah she's a robot.

i'd watch more if they made it. i like bee, and toast was the funniest character. never fell for puppycat, though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the fanstic planet comparisons make it 100% i'll be checking this out soon

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah i didn't really like what they did with shoko either. was just sort of whatever, there are like 10 characters of her type in the show, didn't need a backstory for one of the few creepy things in adventure time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I like being along for the ride, but it's nice stuff works on its own way works when binged too. Feel like I remember and get more from shows in general from the standard release, but there are definitely exceptions where I bank up episodes to watch all at once.

I think it just makes sense that a TV show watched over a long period of time is going to end up meaning more to you and being more memorable because that's how memory works. You repeatedly go back to the same characters week after week, installing them into your long term memory. When you watch 10 episodes over a couple of days, you just aren't going to remember anywhere near as many details or emotions because those moments while doing something else when you turn the story over in your head never happen. You also never get the feeling of going away and coming back, it just happens in a kind of blur and you remember the high points and know if you liked it but the details don't get written down and you don't think about it very much afterwards.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i've only seen the first 3 or 4, don't remember. the world is cool for sure but i haven't caught on to any of the characters. does that aspect get more interesting?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'd like to see them actually try and make a season about fionna and cake in their world cos s1 wasn't really that. it was a multiverse follow up to adventure time starring the whiniest man alive.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I was kinda bummed that Kumail Nanjiani didn't play Prismo in F&C. Do we know what that's about?

he tweeted about it saying it was a miscommunication with his management cos they didn't inform him that he'd been asked to reprise the role, said he would have if he knew

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Onto ep 7 of Blue Eye Samurai. It's very good, one of the most engaging I've seen in this genre so far.

Two things are bothering me though - one, occasional bad soundtrack choices which take me out of the scene. Either go with period music or recent music, mixing just feels tacky.

Other thing is, the sheer amount of times I've had to suspend disbelief that Mizu didn't die in some insane situation. They go to this well too often. Most recently in climbing up a vertical wall with a grown man on her back using her fingertips while severely weakened already. But every fight goes to the limit in this way. It does that thing where sometimes the stakes will be realistic and trade on that tension, and then sometimes Mizu just pulls out superhero moves nobody could do (usually while gut stabbed). So again it's like, pick a lane.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Finished Blue eye Samurai

I wasn't expecting it to have an non-ending, thought this was going to be a one off series. So, the ending felt pretty weak to me. I don't like the idea of a season of Mizu in London hunting these guys, it feels out of left field and purely for the sake of extending the story. No end to the primary conflict, internal or external, for Mizu. The idea of Mizu hunting around London also just sounds too silly to me, too irrelevant.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Megera posted:

I thought it was clear by the end of episode 4 that there was not enough time left in the season to even get to know the other 2 white guys, let alone kill them

blue eye samurai:

Yeah, it was pretty much, but I was taking this as because in the end, she wouldn't go after the other two. Her character development was all pointing towards that, with her deepening relationships with Ringo, Taigen and Akemi. She was having a lot of conflict about the revenge mission internally, and even decided to delay when saving Taigen.

It just seems like the story will only end up in the same place once she's killed them all, with her realising oh well, revenge didn't make me happy after all, this whole vendetta matters less than the people I now care about, etc - but now that resolution has been delayed to work on another two boss fights.

How do you raise the stakes from Fowler almost taking over Japan, anyway? The guy is joyfully pure evil, you pretty much can't be any more of a villain. It all felt like the writers decided they wanted to do a season 2 midway through the final episode.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

looks good. wish it was out right now so i could watch it.

i think it's a good trailer. it shows what the movie is like in an intriguing way that hints at what happens but it's disjointed and doesn't explain everything so you want to know more.

edit: actually i'm just assuming and hoping it's a movie.

edit: it is not. 10 episodes...

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 14, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

TheThirst posted:

I'm 4 episodes in and I absolutely love it. Throughout the first episode my husband's response was to say "This makes me profoundly sad" and then he demanded to keep watching it, and I think that sums it up very well.

yeah. i'm up through episode 5 and this is the response i'm having also.

it's like, what is sadder - the world is definitely coming to an end and humanity freaks out and it becomes a nihilistic hellscape? that's ugly, but it's not so sad. it's almost like we're collectively saying ah well, we didn't deserve to survive anyway. but this show is saying, what if everybody started seeing the value of their life at last, and it's worth saving but you can't. all you can do is try to ignore the huge ball of death in the sky. now that's sad. and relevant, because we actually are all going to die.

the show has a way of constantly making you forget that the world's going to end as people get distracted with their lives, and then you remember. it keeps hitting me as i watch. the idea of a planet coming to hit us is one of my nightmares anyway, i remember being pretty terrified at the ending of melancholia, but i like the way this show is handling the concept a lot better so far.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 18, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ep8 of carol and the end of the world was kinda crappy. i didn't like the pirates taking over the boat storyline, and i don't love the nudist parent thruple thing either. it feels like something more low brow and interested in being wacky. like the show the artstyle suggests it would be. the father son trip was all right, though. i just wish the b story had been carol related.

anyway hopefully the show ends well cos i loved the other episodes.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i just do not get the hazbin hotel and helluva boss appeal, except for children

like, it is loud and fast and a very determined imitation of entertaining, but it's not actually entertaining. i see why kids like it. aside from it having swearing and edgy jokes, i don't see why adults would like it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Folks we have a HB/Hazbin thread.

it seems like every few pages someone suggests the discussion in here goes elsewhere. adventure time, blue eye samurai, now hazbin.

if you aren't watching the show people are currently talking about, it doesn't mean it belongs in another thread. you start excising all the actual discussion out and it'll just be a bunch of 2 page threads and this one not getting used, and it's already not that active

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

finished carol.

i sort of agree episode 9 was unfortunate. the actual development of carol's life was very interesting to me and they basically dropped it entirely for 2 whole episodes before the finale.

the finale was very good but i would've enjoyed it more if eps 8+9 didn't exist i think. not that they were terrible, they just felt kinda irrelevant and the finale goes right back to what i loved about the first 6 episodes, but it would've hit me emotionally more if i hadn't been slightly annoyed by the previous 2.

absolutely could've been a movie, and probably a great one.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

To me the biggest culprit of "we need everything to move -more-" are the digital-puppet-based animation projects as if to overcompensate for the fact that it's 90% symbol motion tweening. Ironically this ends up causing you to notice it more.

You know how 24fps feels more cinematic despite 30+fps being technically higher-fidelity? Motion-tweening and digitally skewing end up causing this same "this actually looks worse than if someone drew it, even if incorrectly" thing in my brain. Captain Laserhawk constantly breaks my vision with the digital squash and stretch like this.

yeah I know what you mean. I want to do a test at some point to see if being selective with what parts move + keeping the FPS low does anything to improve this effect.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I watched Koala Man.

It really skates by on the natural appeal of animation and australian accents cos the writing really isn't that good. A lot of the jokes feel obvious and tired and the whole boring dad obsessed with rules schtick doesn't lead to any laughs for me. There are some moments when it throws in something absurd that got a laugh out of me, but it's totally random stuff and alot of it fell flat, too.

It's weird how mediocre this feels considering Smiling Friends which isn't my favourite show ever, but it at least feels fresh. Also on Smiling Friends, weird how it's taken 3 years to get to season 2 of that while Michael Cusack has produced two full seasons of other animated shows in the meantime? I guess it's not just about one person though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I got back into Rick and Morty the past couple of weeks, caught up to the new season. I know a lot of people say the show has gotten worse, and there were definitely some truly bad episodes (the alphabet ice t thing, i didn't even finish it), but overall I think the show is more enjoyable now that most of the humour isn't based around the family hating each other. The show always felt too mean spirited for me to love, and it still is really, but it's easier to have fun with things when the family isn't constantly snapping at each other.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah that's fine ha ha ha but it doesn't really solve the season being a big waste of time does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i dunno, sorry, i'm drunk. i'll come back in the morning and either explain or take my comments back.