Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have been really liking season 2 of Tuca and Bertie.

Also, what happened to Birdgirl? I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I was really starting to like it. Was it canceled already just as it was finding its groove? If so that's a bummer.

It got 6 episodes and everything but the 5th can be streamed from Adult Swim's website without signing into a cable provider account. Entire series is out season 2 still seems to be up in the air. I normally give shows a second season is green lit before hopping on but at 6 episodes I might just watch it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Rick and Morty has become a show I let episodes pile up then binge while drinking one night. I used to do that with The Simpsons for years. I think the last Simpsons season I watched was 2017 or so. So I'll likely see how generic and lifeless Rick and Morty will get in 2042.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Data Graham posted:

There are examples of shows that just keep getting better until they suddenly end, right?

Futurama maybe, if you don't count anything past the initial run

Venture Bros, it just keeps digging deeper and deeper. But this is kinda what you get with a 2 person writing team that rewatches all their old stuff before writing a season. It is always amazing to watch something and a random throw away character with a single line has a side arc 3 seasons later just because.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think there's like 1 direct reference episode per season normally which feels fine. There was Purge planet, and Mad Max planet. It works best when they take stuff from 20 sources and cram it into the same episode. Like the Vat of Acid feels very Joker and Batman at first then veers right off that plot and does something else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you didn't see Matt Berry as Mr Deadly on the sci-fi coma season of Archer you... you need to just watch that one episode. It's self contained (really helps if you've watched at least a season of Archer but it can be any non coma season). I refuse to believe the show will top that beyond probably do a touching animated funeral for Jessica Walter.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny how the Filmation/early Hanna-Barbera riff style was standard in early Adult Swim due to both the characters they were using from it and its cheapness (as we as how funny it is) but now Archer's probably the last show standing still using a derivative of it.

Venture Brothers is still in production they are getting a movie. If you want purely characters, wasn't there a new Harvey Birdman during the pandemic leading into a spin off?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It feels like a Rick and Morty spoof with Beth and Rick super science buds.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If it bothers you for moral reasons that will distract you while watching piracy is still a thing. Unless you are grabbing it from a very public tracker they have no way to count your view. Or you could just stream it since you already have the subscription.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Right a corporation is multiple somebodies so it's even worse as more people had a chance to say this is hosed up and stop it.

edit: wait what the gently caress thread is this no let's talk about cartoons.

Rewatching King of the Hill, early Boomhauer has a Quagmire edge to him, stealing a used body cast to get a sponge bath.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 19, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

"explaining the rules" means world building. They enjoy stories where the writer takes a lot of time and effort into building the world over the characters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think they mean the line quality is closer to draft than nice fine crisp lines.

I like fuzzy lines. Does this have name? Cheap / lazy are words that do come to mind when I think about this style even though they don't apply.

Or maybe I'm on the wrong track. I'm not even sure that fully applies to BoJack but I think I understand the feeling they are trying to express.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 12, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This wheel drives smoother but it keeps reflecting light and blinding other drivers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

motherfucking THIS

seriously if you're not watching Smiling Friends then that is not okay and you need to fix it right now

It's not on HBO Max yet, I'm sure the on the 9th a bunch of people will post reminding everyone waiting. It's close enough it's not worth seeking out other ways to watch it. Might as well give them the view count.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Oh good maybe the animations will condense it and I can finally finish watching that campaign in some form. Trinket is a good bear.

Just don't have time for 6 hours a week worth of content from a single source.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 16, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

budget-wise, venture brothers has always been a shoestring operation and the lack of female characters is more due to the lack of ability of the creators to voice or write female characters until the point that it just became a very masculine world by default. it works for the show because the show exploits that playful, insane energy of pure male spaces, just guys being dudes and getting up to idiot poo poo that wouldn't happen if there was a woman around to tell the guys to knock it off. this is why dr. mrs. the monarch, who has a number of aliases related to her relationship to the men in her life, doesn't even have a full name of her own, or how the other major female character of the early seasons, molotov cocktease, was similarly deliberately reduced to a caricature of a femme fatale. the show got better over time by introducing more female characters but its still a show with more gay male characters than regular, important female characters. the only reason this isn't really problematic is that the show is aware of, and pokes fun of, how gleefully masculine it is - hank and dean's mom is a deliberate question mark which i hope will never be answered, her complete absence from the show is why the venture family ends up so deranged

Yes she does, she is Sheila Fitzcarraldo, we don't have her maiden name, but do we need it?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'd expect a poor performance from the rest of the cast if he's not on board when they record. I also think they could get away with changing everyone's voice by just having an accident on the ship that changes everyone's voice but the people inside the ship at the time. I dunno we've already tasted purple. Fry can ask if anyone heard purple, bender was on the Ship's hull at the time so he sounds like someone doing a Bender impression.

There all wrapped up in a very Futurama way.

My first part of the rest of the cast sandbagging isn't valid if it's not over money. I think they'd respect him wanting out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Wonder if they'll have forgotten how to pronounce any characters names this time around.

Still not over Ndnd somehow becoming Unda-Unda in the first reboot.

A Pro Setter! It is I! Fray!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tiberius Christ posted:

Fair enough, I didn't give Home Movies a chance when it first came out for the same reasons, I just don't have Netflix

The first season is very poor quality compared to the rest. It watches like a draft for the show then suddenly they shift into a much higher gear. Season 1 is still fine, but it does watch a bit rough and if the quality didn't improve it wouldn't be memorable.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The Rick & Morty about how the logical terminus of Captain Planet is just eco-terrorism was one of my favorite episodes of the last season

Poison Ivy did nothing wrong

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

American Dad right now is very well-written and fantastic, way better than I ever expected it to be, but even back when it was new and still just a rough commentary on post-9/11 jingoism, it was such an energetic premise with really offbeat characters that couldn't help but command your attention. When I end up watching clips of Family Guy, what really strikes me is just how boring it is and how dull the characters are. (Well, that and the racism.) It is ridiculous to me that Family Guy felt comfortable giving up on Meg

I think a lot of sitcoms have really gotten away from the model of relying on a traditional nuclear family unit, and that has really freed animated shows to go do crazy things that wouldn't be possible in live action.

I like modern American Dad. Recently tried to do a rewatch to try and nail down when to tell someone to start. This is now several months ago but remember skipping most of the first 2 seasons for just being bad or offensive. And seasons 3-6 were also pretty dry.

I'm not sure where it really starts being good. Tearjerker is a good episode and is in season 3. It also misses what makes the best episodes really good but it certainly starts to show that the show knows how to have fun with the cast.

The play episode with Patrick Stewart is one of my favorite just for how surreal it is. (S8E10 according to a quick google, figure someone might want to watch and it is very much standalone)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 11, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Really need him to get some song time on Orville. (He's the pilot!)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Roger being just as confused how he's multiple people is always a fun gag.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zero One posted:

Bob and Linda of Bob's Burgers are also a loving couple with a loving family.

The thanksgiving specials are still worth watching even if the show kinda ran out of steam. Tree House of Horror used to be worth a watch for a long time into bad Simpsons too, but even that is pretty bad now.

Do watch the early Bob's Burgers (and early The Simpsons if you somehow haven't but I can't see anyone reading this and not having watched it). They hold up. Only so much A tier work you can do with a setting and characters that have to reset every 30 minutes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klaus is underused but always feels like he has potential. They should just pair him with Roger and give him the body swapping machine and some bodies. Too bad he's kind of a creepy jerk every time he's been put into a human body. (I get that they do this to have a good excuse to put him back in a fish)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Like I said they just need to settle on a girl(or even a guy as long as it's not Snot) for Steve to be with and be done with it, they've beaten the "Steve tries to get a girlfriend and/or laid" plot so hard that the poor dead horse is basically atomized at this point, and it's not like it was a plotline that was ever particularly funny in the first place, indeed due to Status Quo those kind of plots just end up feeling like a waste of time and an insult to the viewer's intelligence

Have Steve come out as asexual and just sideline this love life. Him seeking love was just him seeking approval from Stan.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I promise you animators have always been this horny. Also every artist

Disney is famous for animators having draws of the characters naked. (That's a pun not a typo)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

FWIW he hasn't written Family Guy for some time now, not sure how long but he's content to mostly just show up as another VA as a combination paycheck and continuing fan service.

There's likely some big contract keeping him tied and leaving would likely mean a lot of other people would possibly be out of jobs. It's very hard to walk away from a show like that. It's also very hard to distance yourself because you don't want to seem like you are only working on it simply to keep other people getting pay checks and it only takes a few weeks a year to get all your lines. Reading between the lines I wouldn't be shocked if he just wanted to be done with Family Guy now that he has more interesting projects. It did what it had to do, get him a job when edge lord comedy was the only game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

You can even see it in the animation. How many "jokes" on Family Guy are delivered by a character staring off into the distance, eyes half-closed, expressionless? It's not just a depressing show, it's a depressed show.

You described , Chris

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Something I can't put my finger on felt off. I like the concept, but it felt like the animation didn't fit with it. It might work fine. I kept thinking I want to see this with a higher budget while watching but reflecting I think it's the color pallet. It's too bright for such a bleak world.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

The difference is I think that with Rick and Morty it feels like... genuine? While this show seems like they just went "What can do we that's really hosed UP and PUSHING THE BAR. Like I think Rick and Morty does have hosed up things and does push the bar sometimes but it seems like it comes from a place of "we just want to make a funny show"

Have you seen the short they originally tried the idea with? Rick's time machine is powered by Morty sucking him off. It's really hosed up. Oh yeah it's a time machine in the short.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, the characters are bad. Elfo is a creepy Fry, Luci is just boring bender, and Bean is Leela 2.0. The only entertaining character is John DiMaggio's king character. Also, there is too much focus on a serious ongoing plot, which isn't compelling to watch. Not every show needs to be heavily serialized.

I think the Futurama D&D movie was a warning sign of things to come.

There's always fads heavy serialization is something that's just going to happen for 5-15 years. Videogames have that horrible period where everything was WoW, it even bled over into pen and paper with D&D4.0 basically being pen and paper WoW.

Thankfully plenty of stuff exists if I want a fun adventure already. Time to explore classics in new genres.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slightly Absurd posted:

This popped up in my youtube recommendations recently, and I figured some of you guys might dig this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QTkft7oYc

It's kinda like a Cowboy Bebop mixed with Invader Zim [and a bit of an obvious S.C.U.D. influence]. Some very expressive and weighty stylized animation

I love this aesthetic I don't know why but I immediately thought Earth Worm Jim. I don't have 30 minutes right now so I'll have to watch it later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Megera posted:

Yeah can I start a studio, pay artists to do nothing, and then cancel the show and make a ton of money??? Like what and why are these laws?

You don't make money they are tax write-offs so you can take the losses and subtract them from your earnings to pay less taxes. By canceling 2million in projects they can avoid paying taxes on 2million profit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is that placeholder default shadows that never got adjusted in each frame?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I do think companies are going to try it and it will be terrible. We're going to enter a dark age, but maybe people learning to use them as a tool for a base image and then modify on top of them leads to a new golden age.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

a lovely king posted:

S3 of Solar Opposites....so Roiland is bored with the aliens right? Felt like the entire thing is random side plots now.

I'm getting the feeling he ends up with really good ideas for jokes then can't figure out what to do with the characters after he's made his best jokes. He should make 2-3 season long shows and just keep switching off, or a show that changes every season with a new cast and concept.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nothing wrong with a wake and bake Saturday morning cartoon, just lean into it. A lot of Adult Swim's catalog works well for this. Don't tell me Aqua TV Show Show had a plot worth discussing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I wasn't comparing their quality I was comparing their genre of a show best enjoyed not caring about the overall plot and just enjoying the ride. Aqua Teen is very good at that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

it’s very pretty.

Wait people like that style? I thought it looked like poo poo. It's some weird middle ground between flat animation and high budget and it suffers for being a middle ground.It always looks like I'm doing way too much post processing in an emulator to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

You see there was this movie, Spider-Man: into the Spider-verse, that was animated exactly like this, it was a massive hit, and won a ton of awards, even an Oscar.

Yes I thought it looked like poo poo. I had just assumed people liked it despite the bad visual choice. If people like it well okay. I guess I'm not in the majority but nothing can convince me to watch something made like that.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 13, 2022