Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Arrr that be no pirate Matey's! That's a bone eee Fido hero that has taken the King's shilling, landlubbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chapter 2: False Starts and False Ends

All right, everybody, let's try not to screw this up too hard.

Would it kill you to be a little more positive?

Guess we're about to find out!

Our first fight! On display is the venerable and iconic monster from every game in the Dragon Warrior series, the *checks notes* Black Raven.

Kidding! Kidding. The decades-long tradition of fighting slimes as your first monsters started with Dragon Warrior. Yes, I know: Final Fantasy just had to be a rebel and give you imps instead. :rolleyes: But, kicking the poo poo out of slimes as soon as you walk out of town has been a thing for a long time, and this is merely one of many games along the way to do it.

Let's show 'em what we got, team!

KYAH

That's... that's it?

I'm... actually kind of new at fighting. :blush:

And you're just now telling us this?!

OW

OW

Hey, greybeard! A little help here?

Wha? Oh. *grumble* Lemme see here, spell components, spell components...

There. Happy now?

No, I am not happy! I am dying!

Whine whine whine.

Argh, all of you shut up

Well, why didn't you just do that to start with?

So much hate

Fighting in Dragon Warrior is a tedious turn-by-turn exercise in selecting things from menus and watching numbers go by. Other than that, it works about as you'd expect: stronger gear plus levels equals more laughing at monsters' pitiful attempts at damage. Each new character starts with their own gear, which is somewhat helpful but not really all that great. Right now, Shanna has a club, Xiowix has a stick, and Nina just has her fists and feet. All of them are wearing, quote, "Clothes." (Seriously. That's their armor.) On the other end of the spectrum, Erika comes with a copper sword and leather armor right out of the box. That is ridiculous for this point in the game, so she'll be doing the heavy lifting for a bit. Nina won't be useful for a few levels yet. Xiowix can lay down some pretty big damage, but he is lazy as poo poo has limited MP to cast Blaze with.

Okay, the three of you get on the same page right now, or so help me gods, I'm turning this party around and you will not like it.

Yeah, no thanks. I already got a mom.

Well, now you have two. So stop moping around, young lady, and start acting like the hero everyone says you are!

UGGGGGGGGGGH

Shanna, of course, has Heal. Heal is the reason we will never be without a pilgrim, ever. This isn't one of those games where Cure is a magic eraser for dungeon fatigue or getting in over your head. The Heal must flow frequently and often in Dragon Warrior, or you're gonna die, and it's gonna be messy. You'll also notice the text changing color. Green is, oddly, a sign that someone needs attention right now before they keel over on the next hit. There are other colors. We would rather not see them. (Spoiler: we're going to see them.)

Right now, our goal is the same as literally every other RPG in existence: Walk around the first town in a circle and put our sword through things until we get to level 3. I don't know why that's the magic number, but it's worked in every classic RPG I've played from Bard's Tale to Final Fantasy 6, and I'm not about to screw with that formula.

Yes, I'm aware I didn't do that for Final Fantasy Legend. That's because there's no levels. One last "SaGa, y'all" for the road.

Of course, time waits for no (wo)man, so night falls as we're wandering around. The monsters and encounter rate are... about the same, honestly. I don't know if this'll change later on since we're in the noob zone here. Anyway, it's night now, so let's see what's different in town!

Now here's somebody that knows what's up.

:hai:

I'm stunned you can remember that. Just how long have you been drinking?

*hic* For'ash long as I can remmeber.

So two hours, then.

...who're you?

Alcohol truly is the opiate of the masses.

I thought opiates were the opiates of the masses.

That's crazy talk. You're crazy. Stop being crazy.

I dunno. Just wanted to see what you guys were up to.

This is my home! I don't even know you!

Hey, it's not like I know you, either!

Oh bitch you didn't.

Erika. Please. A calm mind and tranquil demeanor is the best solution to conflict.

No, the best solution to a conflict is my fist in her face.

Please calm down. If this young lady wants to talk about your mother, she's allowed to do so.

:smug:

I've also heard tale that her mom is so fat, all she wants for Yule is to see her feet.

OOOOOOOOOOH

Will you get out of my house

Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sneak into the castle.

Yes! We can plant the seeds of the downfall of the ruling class!

Whatever blows your skirt up.

Yeah? Or else what?

I don't want to get into specifics, but it involves pillories and tomatoes.

I thought you guys didn't do that any more.

Legally, no.

Ugh, my feet are killin' me. We've been walking around all day.

The hell are you complaining about? All you did was stand in the back and wave your arms at them every now and then. It didn't even do anything half the time!

Come to think of it... I don't recall you actually doing a lot of spellcasting.

I only got so much mana. I have to preserve it.

You cast like two spells this entire time.

Yes, and they were very good spells.

Look, he's right. I think we're all exhausted. A night at the Inn would do us some good.

Hmm. I got a better idea.

Hi, mom.

Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for thinking about me.

How was your first day of heroing, sweetie?

Heroining. And it went okay, I guess.

Oh, you have a party now! How lovely.

Thanks. It's a two room flat, guys, so it'll be a little crowded.

What, you live in your mom's basement? Pfft. Typical millenial.

I think it's a good thing. Families should all live under the same roof. It's better than providing more fuel to the overleveraged industrial housing complex.

Aw, you're a sweetie.

The family that smashes capitalism together, stays together!

The next morning...

Well, that wasn't the worst night's sleep I've had.

You stole my bed, you dick!

You oughta get a new mattress.

Back to the daily grind, I guess.

Hey, I'm getting pretty good at this!

HURK

:stonk:

Oh, hey. How'd the fight go?

WHAT THE HELL. Where were you?! We could've saved Nina if you were casting spells the entire time!

Saved who now?

We're going to the temple now.

Sorry, it's my lunch br—

I did not phrase that as a question.

Welp, here's our first fatality of Dragon Warrior. It won't be the first, and it won't be the last. And what do we do when a party member drops dead? Same thing as every other RPG: find the nearest priest and have them fix it. Wouldn't it be nice if it were like that in real life? Man, catholicism conversion rates would go through the roof. They'd come from miles around to hear Padre Deathraiser give homilies. In other news, Padre Deathraiser is my new witch house band. I've already copyrighted it, so don't even think about stealing it.

You'll note the text has gone red. Just in case you need a reminder that you're carrying your friend's corpse around, all the menu and text will be red until we fix it. I assume it's your guilty conscience nagging at you.

oOOOooooOooo

Will you cut that out?

yooOoou caaan't make meee I'm a ghoooOoOOoost

:mad:

At your service, my good people! How may I serve you?

How much to breathe life back into this battered corpse?

My gracious. Prices really have dropped since I was working in the field.

See? Good as new.

I do feel pretty good for being dead a second ago!

And only two more gold than a night at the inn. Did us all a favor in the long run.

:catstare:

Xiowix isn't exagerrating, by the way. It's eight gold for a stay at the inn and ten to raise the dead. Also, unlike most RPGS, you get a full heal for your troubles! (I don't think it tops off MP, though.) I assume that price is going to go up as we level up, because otherwise that'd just be silly. Like, at that point, you should just go full Bard's Tale meat grinder and start flooding dungeons with disposible newbies until the Heroine is at level four gajillion.

Also of note: Despite being the bog standard recommended party mix, this current lineup just isn't doing it for me. There's something about them that's not gelling, and it looks like I'm not the only one who's noticed...

Hello, we'd like to exchange this wizard. He's defective.

Wha—

That's a form 143 Schedule 9-A. In order to file that, I'll need two identifications of his incompetence.

He sucks at his job.

And he got me killed.

Works for me. Sign here.

Fine! Let's see how far you ungrateful brats get without my help!

Speaking as a fully grown woman who is not an ungrateful brat, you are a terrible person with a terrible heart who is terrible at everything he does. If I catch you anywhere near these two again, the next thing that goes through your head will be my mace.

drat. That was hardcore.

He deserved it. I hope you've learned a lesson about the importance of good leadership.

How about I chalk it up to a bad interview process, and we'll call it even?

It's a start.

Me again. I need someone who isn't terrible.

I'm afraid we're fresh out.

Do you have anyone who is a little terrible but not really a lot?

As a matter of fact, I do!

A bit later...

Hello! Happy to be on board. I want you to know you have the full liability limited weight of Swindle, Swindle, and Sons, Ltd. behind you. My card.

"J.T. Swindle." Your name is literally Swindle?

As was my father's, and his father's before! May their souls rest in peace.

Sure, why not. So what do you do, exactly?

Why, procure and and purvey the finest and rarest goods in all the land! Weapons, armor, you name it. Swindle, Swindle, and Sons Ltd. will get it for you, or your money back!

How... how can you refund money someone hasn't paid?

Exactly! That's just the kind of service we provide.

:cripes:

Let me put it another way. What's your motivation here?

Before my dearly departed father passed from this realm, he said to me, "Swindle, you should take your talents to those in need." Supply and demand, my friends. Supply and demand.

Capitalist swine

Hmm? What was that?

Not important. *glare*

*mutter*

Well, the pay's lousy, but you can keep whatever you find. Possible loss of life and/or limb, etc.

Oh, I understand the dangers. That's why I'm glad to have you working for Swindle, Swindle, and Sons, Ltd.

Wh—wait a minute. You're working for us.

Quite right! A good manager serves his workers first and foremost. This is the kind of team spirit you can't just buy your way into, no matter how insanely lucrative your personal wealth might be!

Can I kill him now?

No. No killing other party members. We've been over this.

Awwwwwww

Let's try this one more time. And if this doesn't work this, I'm going home, going to bed, and the Archfiend can do whatever the hell he wants with you idiots.

That's the spirit, lad!

I still want to kill him.

Kinda warming up to the idea, yeah.

Next Time: Man(?) About Town

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I choose to believe this is how your average adventuring party starts out. Most RPGs just skip the preliminary faffing around and crappy party members. That, or their protagonists are really lucky.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Now I want an RPG where the whole game is just figuring out the party composition that's least likely to be at each others' throats so you can actually go on an adventure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I'm going to second the killing of Swindle. He's exactly what is oppressing the masses! :commissar:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Slaan posted:

I'm going to second the killing of Swindle. He's exactly what is oppressing the masses! :commissar:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Minus Green posted:

Now I want an RPG where the whole game is just figuring out the party composition that's least likely to be at each others' throats so you can actually go on an adventure.

Fourteen updates later

Surely this will be the time it works.

Ron Howard: It didn’t work.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

It's CHOKES MCGEE! I always remembered your LPs :tipshat:.

So how did the whole wasps/bees things turn out?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Siegkrow posted:

It's CHOKES MCGEE! I always remembered your LPs :tipshat:.

So how did the whole wasps/bees things turn out?

The wasps were cicada killers that had wandered up the chimney. They can’t sting humans, all they do is kill kill kill cicadas no matter what what what what.

Anyway in four years I’ve sold the house at a minor profit, moved to Austin, and... uh... had a Very Bad Day that led me to make the CSPAM mental health thread and join NAMI as a volunteer.

This has been the Chokes report. Now to Erika with the weather. Erika?

100% chance of gently caress you.

Thank you, Erika.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

This has been the Chokes report. Now to Erika with the weather. Erika?

100% chance of gently caress you.

Thank you, Erika.

*looks outside at the rain blowing horizontally past the window*

Yep, checks out.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Neat, I'd just binge read your previous LPs not too long ago. Shame I'm late for character submissions, but I'll be watching closely.

I've got no manual art to give for this one, cause I'm really only familiar with the game boy color remake labeled dragon quest 3.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

The wasps were cicada killers that had wandered up the chimney. They can’t sting humans, all they do is kill kill kill cicadas no matter what what what what.
That sounds suspiciously pro-wasp... I'm sure it's nothing, I'm just imagining things.

quote:

Thank you, Erika.

We apologize for interrupting your scheduled tangent: A new breed of Parasitoid wasp has been discovered in the continental United States. While normally incubating within spiders or other insects, this new breed infects mammals. Infected mammals will no longer fear wasps and will do everything in their power to convince others to do the same. Do not be fo-CARRIER LOST

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drakenel posted:

Neat, I'd just binge read your previous LPs not too long ago. Shame I'm late for character submissions, but I'll be watching closely.

Believe it or not, the COMPUTE!'s Gazette one is my favorite. Like I smashed it out of the park with FFL, but C!G was just fun to noodle around with with a bunch of other goons :)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And so Xiowix's time has come and gone. Really, considering how lazy he is, he's lucky he got this much time.

Drakenel posted:

I've got no manual art to give for this one, cause I'm really only familiar with the game boy color remake labeled dragon quest 3.

I can PM you some links to scans of the NES manual, if you'd like...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I had the GameBoy Color version of this game, but I didn't really put too much time into it. I vaguely recall starting the game, creating my party, doing a thing and promptly getting lost in the rear end-end of who-knows-where-the-gently caress because the game absolutely does not give a poo poo about keeping you on rails by any means beyond "poo poo here is too hard for you to kill right now."

So I look forward to seeing how this is supposed to go!

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 12, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kheldarn posted:

I can PM you some links to scans of the NES manual, if you'd like...

Just post em. I don't need the recognition. Old manuals were a delight.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played the gameboy color version a ton as a kid, and then the save battery died within a year or 2and I lost all my progress.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Oh poo poo it's Chokes McGee! I adored your Final Fantasy Legends lps so much that I've read them multiple times. Very excited to see you tackle Dragon Quest 3. This game is ripe for creative characterization, and we can always use more Dragon Quest lps.

Also I can't believe you changed your avatar. That duck was instantly recognizable.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 13, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
update later tonight~

(probably)

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Oh poo poo it's Chokes McGee! I adored your Final Fantasy Legends lps so much that I've read them multiple times. Very excited to see you tackle Dragon Quest 3. This game is ripe for creative characterization, and we can always use more Dragon Quest lps.

Also I can't believe you changed your avatar. That duck was instantly recognizable.

ACTION DUCK WILL RETURN

in

ACTION DUCK

starring

ACTION DUCK

I rotate through them sometimes, but I always come back to AD. I just wanted something badass for a little bit :twisted:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ACTION DUCK IS badass.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Can wait for the blockbuster ACTION DUCK VS. THE WASP coming soon in a Chokes house near you!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Can wait for the blockbuster ACTION DUCK VS. THE WASP coming soon in a Chokes house near you!

joke's on them suckers I rent now

e: ugh animated gifs on 8-bit are awful. How do people like TDI get these stupid things down to a manageable size?

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 14, 2019

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

e: ugh animated gifs on 8-bit are awful. How do people like TDI get these stupid things down to a manageable size?

You rent the wasps, or the duck?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

You rent the wasps, or the duck?

I've missed you guys :shobon:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Just as long as you don't rent to others like a landlord

cracks knuckles menacingly

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

I've missed you guys :shobon:

Seriously, we've missed you too :glomp:. Your LPs are always a treat to read, and I am super excited to see you take on DW3!

I can't remember if I beat this on the NES, but I absolutely did when it came back out on the GBA so I've got a lot of fond memories for this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chokes McGee posted:

Depends upon what you're trying to gif and what you're doing to the image. Just playing around with DQ3, I got this, which is just over 200 KB:

Try processing every other frame, every third frame, or reducing the FPS to 12.5 or 10. Reduce the color depth to 128 or even 64. Try to avoid moving backgrounds. And I've found that RGB makes for cleaner images (and thus smaller gifs) than YV colorspace.

E: Also, when making the party for that gif, I ended up with this:

I created Alena and Healie, but Ragnar was already there. It knew!

E:E: Just for shits and giggles, I made a gif of the entire first dungeon, and it was almost 14 MB. Not too bad, for a gif with almost 11,000 frames!

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 14, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

Depends upon what you're trying to gif and what you're doing to the image. Just playing around with DQ3, I got this, which is just over 200 KB:

Try processing every other frame, every third frame, or reducing the FPS to 12.5 or 10. Reduce the color depth to 128 or even 64. Try to avoid moving backgrounds. And I've found that RGB makes for cleaner images (and thus smaller gifs) than YV colorspace.

E: Also, when making the party for that gif, I ended up with this:

I created Alena and Healie, but Ragnar was already there. It knew!

E:E: Just for shits and giggles, I made a gif of the entire first dungeon, and it was almost 14 MB. Not too bad, for a gif with almost 11,000 frames!

what black magic settings did you do to get these :stare:

can you describe it to me in imagemagick command line terms

my entire lp system revolves around a series of text files and ridiculously overcomplicated python scripts

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chapter 3: Man(?) About Town

Our first outing together! How very exciting!

Meh.

That's the spirit!

Okay, this is gonna be way less complicated than last time. Everybody hit something until we run out of things to hit.

*backbridge*

:aaa:

Well? How'd I do?

Nobody died. You're an improvement.

Wonderful!

I wouldn't get too full of yourself. Breathing in and breathing out is an improvement over the last guy.

Has anyone else noticed he's always standing in the back?

It's so I can survey the battlefield better.

Uh huh.

Okay, this team seems to be clicking. We're gonna stick with these four from here on out.

Merchants are an oddball class that serve as secondary fighters. They take a bit to get rolling, but they're somewhere between having Nina punch things and Shanna bonk them with a mace. It's not exactly complex stuff, but I'll mash A on "Fight" all day long if it gets us from point A to point B without any further issues. Swindle will also benefit from our guys up front getting a head start and will have the protection he needs to catch up.

We also pick up some fancy new duds for him. Hey, you can't take it with you!

Wayfarer's Clothes are the DW equivalent to Cloth Armor—better than plain clothes, but not by much. It makes a surprising amount of difference this early in the game, though, so we'll go ahead and splurge. Swindle doesn't have a lot of top ticket gear available right now, so we need every point we can get.

We can also sell the old armor now that it's of no use to us. We can only sell things at tool shops. Weapon stores won't take them. I don't know why.

Hello, my fine fellow! I have a tremendous deal for you: this quality merchant's outfit! Fine silk, lightly used. I'm willing to knock one gold off the price, just for you.

Nine gold? Are you nuts? I'll give you 5.

Eight.

Six.

Nine.

I see what you did there.

Oh, very well. Seven, and that's my final offer.

Sure. Good doing business with y—oh, ew. Did you wash these first?

No, and I've passed the savings on to you!

I don't think it's because we have Swindle in the party, but used item sales in Dragon Warrior are very generous. You get around 75% of your investment back, which is a massive boost over the half-off model most games use. This can be very useful when you have two high cost weapons that aren't that far apart in value. Pick up the cheaper one, use it to beat things over the head until you have a little extra gold, then trade up for the bigger one. It's a pretty good system, all things considered.

In addition to his bargaining skills, Swindle's learned something else...

*wipes off sword* Great, we're done here. Next.

Not so fast, m'lad! You're leaving money on the table!

Oh?

*bites coin* Wonderful. I'll pocket this to make sure it's safe.

Does your lust for proletariat oppression know no bounds?

I'm not certain what that means, so I'm going to say no.

Swindle's special ability is kicking in now, and we're making... an extra 1-2G a fight. Y...yay? :confuoot: I mean, it kind of adds up over time, but it's not nearly as dramatic as I was hoping.

Grinding continues. 15 minutes of real time and a stay at Chez Erika's later...

Well, we're starting our quest today. I probably won't be home for a while.

Make sure to write. I'll worry less.

Yeah. *hug* Love you, mom.

Love you too! Your grandpa and I are so proud of the man you've become!

...yeah.

So what's the story behind that, anyway?

I don't want to talk about it. Let's just get going.

Mm. We shouldn't go wandering around at random.

Indeed! Perhaps the local townsfolk will know a thing or two.

I am not holding my breath on that one.

Yes? Let's go with yes.

See? If you want the lay of the land, you ask the common man.

Or woman.

Yes! Or common woman. All genders get the same deals at Swindle, Swindle, and Sons, Ltd.!

I bet we're all common to you.

Mm?

Up there on your high horse, hoarding all the resources the rest of the world could be using.

I don't follow.

Let's just move on.

I want free healthcare, you hear me

Time to leave our endless walking around the castle and get started with the game proper.

Here's a bridge. As we all know, when you cross a bridge in Dragon Warrior, monster encounters go up a notch. It's one of those unavoidable truths in life. On the other side, we'll see...

After LF closed, anteaters were thrown out into the wild to fend for themselves. It is very sad. :(

We'll also see...

The rabbit has a horn growing out of his head. :raise:

Not necessarily. It could be glued on.

Who the hell would glue a horn to a rabbit's head?

Someone who was trying to upsell a regular rabbit?

I bet it's still punchable either way!

None of these upgrades are particularly scary, they just require an extra hit to bring down sometimes. Still smooth sailing. Onwards!

What a dump.

Are you kidding? This is way better than the castle. All that dumb marble and opulence... bleh. Give me a simple hut and a view of the forest any day.

Also, simpler townsfolk are usually interested in quality arbitrige from larger cities.

Don't think I don't know what you said there.

Buddy, I don't even know what that is.

Huh. Good to know.

You didn't listen to a word of that, did you?

Word of what?

It's not good enough to look from a distance. Get up real close.

How close are we talking here?

*stand*

Maybe not that close.

augh personal space

Who would leave a child by themselves at an inn? Honestly.

What—not the least bit, lad! Why would you even think that?

Odd, that one. How on earth could you mistake the legendary hero for a HURK

Swindle. Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once.

gak

I am female. A girl. A chick. A person of the double-X chromosome persuation. I don't give a poo poo if people are calling me the legendary hero. Don't call me a boy.

Oof. *straightens vest* Well, since you put it that way...

Move over, tiny.

If only your ability to keep your temper was as powerful...

That's fair.

You are pretty strong, Erika. It's kind of impressive.

My grandpa used to make me carry stuff like water and groceries up and down stairs every morning. Like, really heavy poo poo. We're talking watermelons.

It seems to have prepared you well.

You'd be surprised. We went through a lot of watermelons.

And that's Reeve in a nutshell. Anything else to see here?

Moving on then!

All right. Where to next?

That clearing over there looks nice. It's kind of road-like.

Works for me.

Oof. These hills.

I hope everyone's cardio is up to snuff.

Awww. C'mon, Swindle, try to keep up!

*huff* *puff*

No falling behind now! :kiddo:

*wheeze*

It looks like there's a forest on the other end of—

AAAAAAAH

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD

ABANDON SHIP

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE WE TURN

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT

WHO CARES, JUST PICK THE NEAREST THING AND START SWINGING

Time to discuss Dragon Warrior geology.

There are multiple surface types in Dragon Warrior, and they actually have an affect on gameplay. They are, in increasing order of encounter rate and difficulty:

• Plains
  • Forest
  • Mountains
  • Swamps Deserts

Although, there actually are swamps! They serve as damage squares. The last type is Barrier, which are damage squares that knock you on your loving rear end. Any time you see a striped blue floor, stay the gently caress away unless you don't have any other option. IIRC, you eat 15 HP a step on those things. :stonk:

Anyway, you can always tell when you've wandered off track in DW, because the encounters suddenly and dramatically change. Despite the party's panic, we're actually fine here. The Scorpion Wasps are the most dangerous thing, and they only do 3-5 damage. Those Masked Moths, though? They are as annoying as poo poo. They cast Surround, which is a spell which reduces your hit rate by a ridiculous amount. Since our party (mostly) doesn't have attack magic, we have to sit there swinging away until we finally connect.

Still, the game's sending us a hint, and I intend to take it. Back we go!

Oof. I almost feel bad for Xiowix after that.

When did you learn to cast Blaze, Erika?

A while ago. I haven't been doing it because I'm not that good at it. It just takes the starch right out of my shorts.

Luckily, I have just the answer! And at 10% off!

Hmm. That spot looks... odd.

Maybe we should take a closer look.

*stand*

augh personal space

Oh wow! I would've never thought to look for this.

Indeed. It's immensely well hidden.

Any objections to going down a set of mystery stairs in a hidden glen?

Well, we are here for adventure...

Charming.

It looks like this was all made a very long time ago.

Hmm. Granite, locked doors, staircases... and what appears to be monster guano.

Well, that's gross.

Do you know what this is?

Another attempt to blind us to the truths of capital's corruption?

No! it's our first dungeon!

That was my second guess.

Next Time: Babby's First Dungeon

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

This is pretty good timing to start a DQ3 LP considering recent events. All this Dragon Quest in my life right now is giving me the urge to replay 3 with a party of the Hero and three Goof-Offs.

Also your writing is still as witty as ever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

This is pretty good timing to start a DQ3 LP considering recent events. All this Dragon Quest in my life right now is giving me the urge to replay 3 with a party of the Hero and three Goof-Offs.

So four goof-offs, then.

Also your writing is still as witty as ever.

:thurman:

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

This line has to be different if the hero is male, right? Was this a running joke already in the very first game the heroine was introduced in?

Regardless, there's no escaping destiny: Erika, you will always be a guy to everyone. Conform! Conform!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DiggleWrath posted:

Regardless, there's no escaping destiny: Erika, you will always be a guy to everyone. Conform! Conform!

t:mad:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DiggleWrath posted:

Was this a running joke already in the very first game the heroine was introduced in?

This is the first game with a heroine.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

This is the first game with a heroine.

What heroine? Only chosen one I see is a hero :confused:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Slaan posted:

What heroine? Only chosen one I see is a hero :confused:

:toughguy:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chokes McGee posted:

what black magic settings did you do to get these :stare:

can you describe it to me in imagemagick command line terms

my entire lp system revolves around a series of text files and ridiculously overcomplicated python scripts
I only use ImageMagick for batch resizing/conversion/cropping. I wouldn't begin to know how to make a gif with it. I use VirtualDub and GIMP to make gifs.

Then again, I'm beginning to suspect something you're doing to your images is bloating the filesize.

This shot from your most recent update is 168 KB.

This shot I took is nine. The only thing I did to it was resize it to 200%.

This is slightly more than half the size of your gif, and I didn't do anything except resize it 2x.

What kind of processing are you doing on your images?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I was talking about Erik of course. Not you. You're still a great adventurer, just not The Chosen One

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

I only use ImageMagick for batch resizing/conversion/cropping. I wouldn't begin to know how to make a gif with it. I use VirtualDub and GIMP to make gifs.

Then again, I'm beginning to suspect something you're doing to your images is bloating the filesize.

This shot from your most recent update is 168 KB.

This shot I took is nine. The only thing I did to it was resize it to 200%.

This is slightly more than half the size of your gif, and I didn't do anything except resize it 2x.

What kind of processing are you doing on your images?

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm using cubic resizing and a full 32 bit palette. I'm going to drop it back to forced 8-bit with nearest neighbor and see if that cleans it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As long as you're messing around with images, see if you can make them larger. The text is small and slightly hard to read.