Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm using cubic resizing and a full 32 bit palette. I'm going to drop it back to forced 8-bit with nearest neighbor and see if that cleans it up.
Yeah, always use Nearest Neighbor with retro games. Anything else both reduces the visual fidelity and bloats the filesize. I dunno if messing with the palette will affect anything, though.

Also you might be resizing to an odd size? The shots I took are 256x224 base, and 512x448 resized. I'm using the emulator's built-in screenshot/recording, which captures at default resolution, no matter what size I'm playing at. Your shot above is 376x298; the width is 1.4x default and the height is 1.3x. It's generally agreed you should only be resizing in integer multiples of 100% (200%, 300%, 400%, etc).

E: Yeah, don't use scaling filters on an NES game. Resizing my shot to the proportions of your shot using the Cubic filter ballooned the filesize from 6 KB (at max png compression) up to 121 KB (also at max compression), and using Cubic filter on a 200% resize resulted in a 90 KB file, similarly compressed.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, always use Nearest Neighbor with retro games. Anything else both reduces the visual fidelity and bloats the filesize. I dunno if messing with the palette will affect anything, though.

Also you might be resizing to an odd size? The shots I took are 256x224 base, and 512x448 resized. I'm using the emulator's built-in screenshot/recording, which captures at default resolution, no matter what size I'm playing at. Your shot above is 376x298; the width is 1.4x default and the height is 1.3x. It's generally agreed you should only be resizing in integer multiples of 100% (200%, 300%, 400%, etc).

E: Yeah, don't use scaling filters on an NES game. Resizing my shot to the proportions of your shot using the Cubic filter ballooned the filesize from 6 KB (at max png compression) up to 121 KB (also at max compression), and using Cubic filter on a 200% resize resulted in a 90 KB file, similarly compressed.

oh well, live and learn v:shobon:v

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think the developers literally did not have enough memory left to have the dialogue change based on your characters gender. It's weird that they went with all male pronouns despite that but at least you get to play as a girl, which for a game from 1988 is pretty cool.

This was obviously fixed in the remakes.

(BTW Chokes do you mind if I post about a few of the changes made from the original to the remakes when they come up?)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I think the developers literally did not have enough memory left to have the dialogue change based on your characters gender. It's weird that they went with all male pronouns despite that but at least you get to play as a girl, which for a game from 1988 is pretty cool.
It might also be that the game used gender-neutral pronouns in Japanese, and English still doesn't have an elegant solution for those. It's a problem that popped up in the PSP port of Persona 3, as well; dialogue would still refer to the protagonist as male regardless of the gender you choose due to this.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Commander Keene posted:

It might also be that the game used gender-neutral pronouns in Japanese, and English still doesn't have an elegant solution for those. It's a problem that popped up in the PSP port of Persona 3, as well; dialogue would still refer to the protagonist as male regardless of the gender you choose due to this.

What I meant was that it was weird that the localization used male pronouns instead of gender neutral ones but it is an old game so it could have been worse.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

This was obviously fixed in the remakes.

(BTW Chokes do you mind if I post about a few of the changes made from the original to the remakes when they come up?)

As long as they're stuff we've already seen, yeah. Obvo don't post screenshots from stuff we haven't seen already.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Well there is no real major differences between the original and the remakes. It's mostly localization stuff. However the remake did add a new class called Thief that is mostly good for being really loving fast so they always go first, and for finding hidden items on the ground.

Also the remakes added a personality system that determines character growths. Your party's personalities are based on their starting stats and the heroes personality is based on a personality quiz given to you at the very beginning of the game. The only way to change their personalities after you get them is through books (which are permanent) or through accessories (which work for as long as you have them on).

The best personality btw is Sexy/Vamp which is exclusive to females and gives a whopping +70% to your total growths.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The best personality btw is Sexy/Vamp which is exclusive to females and gives a whopping +70% to your total growths.

:ughh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

convert "$1" -crop +125+0 -crop -110+0 +repage -interlace none -colorspace sRBG +dither -colors 256 -depth 8 -interpolate Nearest -filter point -resize 75% -define png:compression-filter=5 -define png:compression-level=9 -define png:compression-strategy=1 -define png:exclude-all=chunk -strip "$2"

lmfao

I know I'm not using integer steps—plus I'm downsizing—but they'd be huge if I took them at Retroarch/OBS's native recording screensize.

Y'all can yell at me later for improper setup of emulator, w/e

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The Goddess' reaction is actually pretty funny. Shes basically like "drat Girl. You are pretty thirsty aren't you? I mean that's natural but maybe tone it down a bit because its pretty creepy."

Also the accessory that gives the sexy personality is a Garter Belt. I'm not joking.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Also the accessory that gives the sexy personality is a Garter Belt. I'm not joking.

I'm aware you're not. Jessica in Dragon Quest VIII had sexy time outfits, including parading around in a bustier and garter belt. It's... yeah.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm aware you're not. Jessica in Dragon Quest VIII had sexy time outfits, including parading around in a bustier and garter belt. It's... yeah.

The bunny girl stuff shows up a lot. Though my favorite is the DQ XI ability that gives one of your party members a bunny-girl powerup called "Re-Vamp".

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It also has a quest that makes you put her in a Playboy bunny outfit so a super old guy can look at her and includes accessories like the mentioned garter belt and fishnet stockings. Plus, another party member can wear a belly dancer's harem outfit as her first armor upgrade.

I love DQ XI but it has some creepy stuff in it

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The dragon warrior/quest series was always at least low-key thirsty. It's rarely in your face but it's there.

Even in the builders game, you can choose your gender but regardless one of the last villagers in the first area suggests that you and the first girl that joins are sleeping together. like, 'thanks for immediately assuming im gay and banging the first woman i meet. rear end in a top hat.'

Which is amusingly impossible for spoiler reasons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

The bunny girl stuff shows up a lot. Though my favorite is the DQ XI ability that gives one of your party members a bunny-girl powerup called "Re-Vamp".

The female goof off in this game is a bunnygirl

I don't know what it is about DW3 and bunnygirls

I don't judge I guess

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can I get a spell list for our spell casters?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't judge I guess

Toriyama just really likes bunnygirls.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Chokes McGee posted:

But of course! What else would they be? A Catgirl? Actually, that would make a little more sense more sense, since cats are known for doing their own thing...

Chokes McGee posted:

But of course. They're bloody everywhere, aren't they.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Junpei posted:

Can I get a spell list for our spell casters?

I'll get there eventually, but there's not much to see with Erika, and Shanna's only other spell is Expel which... I guess is useful? Sometimes? I'd rather beat up the remaining monsters and heal up afterwards :shrug:

Once the good spells start rolling in, we'll see where they're at. Should be in another update or two

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

DiggleWrath posted:

But of course. They're bloody everywhere, aren't they.

They breed like rabbits

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

God loving... alright. I set myself up for that one.

I'm still mad though.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Oh boy! One of my favorite Dragon Quest games (at least to read in lp format) AND one of my favorite LPers returns? Heck yeah! Now to submit my totally-not-evil-and-not-afflicted-with-chronic-backstabbing-syndrome vizier type wizard/priest--

...Annnd submissions are closed. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Dq3 theme remade for smash ultimate:
https://youtu.be/MXZew_wYBds

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Oh boy! One of my favorite Dragon Quest games (at least to read in lp format) AND one of my favorite LPers returns? Heck yeah! Now to submit my totally-not-evil-and-not-afflicted-with-chronic-backstabbing-syndrome vizier type wizard/priest--

...Annnd submissions are closed. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

life comes at u fast~

Speaking of which, hoping to have an update in 2-3 days. Content's there, I just have to get it arranged and rehash the four jokes I know write witty stuff around it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chapter 4: Babby's First Dungeon

Today on Dragon Warrior 3, we're doing some honest-to-gods dungeon crawling! The game actually does a good job warming you up with this entire first section: not too tough, not too handholdy. That's a word now: handholdy. I just made it up. Tremble at my masteritory of the English languaging.

Okay, let's get to it!

Are we going to try that door?

No. It's locked. I know it's locked, you know it's locked, everyone in the party knows it's locked. We need some dumb rare item in order to get through it.

We do?

Yes. If there's one lesson my grandpa drilled into my head, it's that dumb poo poo that blocks your path always needs a special item obtained from some gently caress-off remote location nobody ever goes to.

That seems like a very specific lesson.

Hey, them's the rules. I don't write them.

Dungeons in Dragon Warrior are tricky. Unlike other third person RPGs like Final Fantasy or (most of the time) SaGa, you're only shown one room at a time.

For example, to our left there is a corridor with more dungeon. We won't see it until we walk through it and off the map, at which point we won't be able to see the way we came. Thusly:

Dragon Warrior is not kind about linear layouts to start with, which makes this whole thing a massive pain in the rear end to map and memorize. We're fine for now, but when we start having to micromanage HP/MP and know exactly when to hit the abort button on our current run, it's gonna get rough.

I mean, I guess you can go download the maps somewhere... if you want to be a huge weenie. As I am not one of those, I won't be. :smuggo:

Hey hey! Now here's something that I can get behind.

I don't like to focus on looting dungeons. It's co-opting the agency of the fighter proletariat to replace conquering evil with monetary compensation.

Sadly, I must resign myself to that fate.

You know... maybe we shouldn't go sticking our arms into every treasure chest we see.

What? Why not?

I've heard stories of adventurers coming across things that look like treasure chests but aren't. Horrible things with eyeballs and all sorts of teeth.

You actually believe in Canniboxes? Come the gently caress on.

Agreed. Everyone knows it's a urban legend started by dungeon builders to protect their treasure.

Eight gold for you, eight gold for you...

Nina? What are you doing?

Redistributing the wealth, comrade. We're all equal in this party.

Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts once I need a new sword.

Pillars?

They appear to be holding up a structure above us.

Well, holy poo poo. Look at Frank Lloyd Wright over here with the galaxy brain takes.

Actually, I've always been fond of brutalist structures. There's a certain honesty to function over form that's refreshing.

Do you have brain problems?! Brutalism is a hideous pile of disintegrating concrete. Deconstructionism breaks the tradition of ninety degree angles by turning buildings into literal living art.

...what?

It's all right, Erika. One day, you'll be able to appreciate proper load bearing design, too.

... ... what?

Well! That was fast.

I'm fairly certain this isn't the only exit.

We're here anyway. Might as well check it out.

Hmm. This seems fancy.

Maybe a little... too fancy.

Nothing with this many dragon statues ends well.

Agreed. Let's get the hell out of here while we still can.

...huh.

ehn ehn ehn, doot doot doo

We've managed to stumble our way into the Tower of Najima! For those of you paying more attention than Erika was—which, I assume, is "everybody"—this is the new home of the Thief's Key, which we will undoubtedly need to advance our quest. We're not quite ready to be here yet, although we're close. Let's head back into the cave and see what else we can find.

:frogout:

As we're wandering around down here, Froggores will join the faces we've already seen. As in nature, giant frogs are comparable to giant anteaters in every way. My biology skills are extremely accurate.

Well, this explains how that idiot broke into the castle.

A thief broke into the castle through the prison?

Yeah. Guy isn't the sharpest sword on the rack.

You have to admire his efficiency, though. Saves time and money for everyone involved.

Just what I needed in my life. More dirt.

I'll take the treasure, though!

Fashionable!

Oh what the gently caress.

It's not all bad. Designer outfits can fetch quite a price on the open market.

Besides, you don't have to wear it. It's too big for you, anyway.

Everybody wants to be a size 4 but ain't nobody want to get called a boy their entire life.

Look, I'm going to be honest with you here. There's not a lot going on right now in this LP. I'm mashing the A button, characters are levelling up, we're fighting monsters you've already seen.

That's the problem with Dragon Warrior: the grinding. You're hacking your way through the same faces over and over again, and you go through long stretches where there's just nothing interesting happening. It's hell on pacing—especially right now, where we don't even have any good treasure to snark over. It's going to get worse the first time monster difficulty jumps past what we're prepared for, which will invariably start happening around midgame or so if I'm lucky. At that point, a good 30 minutes of game footage is just going to be me wandering around in a circle and hoping something interesting enough happens to make the cut.

I mean, what am I supposed to do with this? Honestly.

It doesn't help that this is a beginning dungeon, so there's a whole four or five rooms to work with.

A medical herb. That's the last treasure chest in here. A medical herb. They sell these things for eight gold.

Aaaaaaaand the west exit eventually spits us back out over here, just a ways south of Reeve. Dungeon complete. Woo.

Well, that was a humongous waste of time.

At least we got some fighting experience out of it.

That's true. You're definitely getting better.

:keke:

Shame nothing came of all that exploring. Ah, well. Back to the inn we g—

*push*

*thud*

*jingle*

...I was consolidating funds from our monster fights. I thought you'd rather have it collected in one place.

Fork it over or I'm gonna redistribute some wealth upside your head.

Well, maybe it wasn't all bad. We've made a pretty sizeable chunk of change after all that exploring. Let's go shopping!

Yo.

Welcome! What can I do for you?

We have money. You have gear. Gimme.

Let's do a Training Suit for my punchy-kicky friend here and some leather armor for the cleric.

Maybe you should invest in something for yourself, Erika.

I'm fine. These things are barely scratching me as is. You two need to stop getting clobbered whenever we fight.

Aw. That's really sweet of you.

Yeah, yeah. It's just good tactics.

Hey, has anyone seen Swindle?

...and here's a little extra to keep this to yourself.

Swindle

What

Everyone together now:

Always buy armor first.

I've learned this lesson time and time again over countless RPGs. Your fancy new weapons don't do you one ounce of good if you're not alive to use them. Many people say the best defense is a good offense. These people are stupid. The best defense is a good defense. That's why it's called defense. Who coins these phrases? Do they even listen to themselves? Anyway, buy armor first. You'll thank me later.

That being said, we have some cash to spare now, so we'll pick up a Magic Knife for Swindle. This thing is actually a goddamn bargain at 200 gold: comparable to Erika's Bronze Sword and both Shanna and Swindle can equip it. Technically, Nina can, too, but it's a really bad idea. Attack power actually goes down when a Fighter equips weapons that aren't class specific. One might wonder why you'd even do that, and there are reasons, but they're not very compelling ones. We'll discover what they are as we go along.

The point is, Swindle is now a surprisingly viable secondary fighter. That's going to help us immensely.

Okay, we're gonna need that Thief's Key. Probably. If you're done being an asshat, Swindle, we've got a tower to explore.

Hats for posteriors? That's an intriguingly untapped market. I wonder how they would work?

Oh, I'd be more than happy to show you.

Next Time: Anti-climb-actic

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Oh that swindle.

Who'd get a thorn whip? Whips and boomerangs are some of my favorite DQ weapons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Siegkrow posted:

Oh that swindle.

Who'd get a thorn whip? Whips and boomerangs are some of my favorite DQ weapons.

We shall see :iiam:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Chests in the NES games are hilariously bad. Thankfully this was fixed in the remakes. I don't have an exact number but it feels like they multiplied the amount of gold you get by like 10.

Regarding offense vs defense, I feel like it depends on the game. In Dragon Quest I feel that getting armor is better but in something like Xenoblade offense is way better than defense. Maybe it's because in that game your health recovers after every battle and it's better to get the battles over with as quickly as possible.

Also boomerangs Kick-rear end.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chests in the NES games are hilariously bad. Thankfully this was fixed in the remakes. I don't have an exact number but it feels like they multiplied the amount of gold you get by like 10.

Regarding offense vs defense, I feel like it depends on the game. In Dragon Quest I feel that getting armor is better but in something like Xenoblade offense is way better than defense. Maybe it's because in that game your health recovers after every battle and it's better to get the battles over with as quickly as possible.

Also boomerangs Kick-rear end.

Hell yes I love boomerangs BUT DONT SPOIL EVERYTHING THEY DO YET

Also I will never not buy armor. Fite me. You won’t do any damage because my armor is really good :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Which is funny, because DQ i's one of the games I go full offense in, because armor is half as effective as weapons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

Which is funny, because DQ i's one of the games I go full offense in, because armor is half as effective as weapons.

Let's split the difference with SaGa and get a ridiculous suit of armor at midgame that protects you from literally every major spell

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

My point of view might be a bit skewed considering I just finished replaying dq1 and 2.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, that was a good work in that dungeon. Now, its time to get the prize of the key to get where you want to go.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll take rocket tag over boring tank fight in RPGs any day :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slaan posted:

Paging SaGa to the thread. SaGa to the thread, y'all.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Anyone else hear that? Sounds like a chainsaw....

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

akkristor posted:

Anyone else hear that? Sounds like a chainsaw....

:thunkher:

Didn’t hear it too busy trying on this new hat I got from amazon oh shi

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

:thunkher:

Didn’t hear it too busy trying on this new hat I got from amazon oh shi

The heck are you worried about? It's not like you're god or some mechanoid designed for war...right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TROG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Slaan posted:

Chokes McGee posted:

OH gently caress IT'S A TANK WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER

Sup?

Oh thank god, it's just Roy.

A Liar posted:

I mean, I guess you can go download the maps somewhere... if you want to be a huge weenie. As I am not one of those, I won't be. :smuggo:

Because you've never done that for dungeons with loads of nonsense, right? :v:

Whoops, how did that get here?!?