Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hell, if I was the only one in the world who could make a MacGuffin, I'd make so many you'd end up seeing me on an episode of "RPG Hoarders" because I'd feel too guilty sending a Ragtag Group Of Adventurers out on a fetch quest. Especially if my fetch quest had a Tragic Moment for a secondary character in it.

We need more genre-savvy NPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, its looks like with this party we have three and a half brains but the folks here are very reasonable about having people enter their rooms.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Thank you for exercising restraint and not saying something like "the magic ball is about to blow!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

Thank you for exercising restraint and not saying something like "the magic ball is about to blow!"

magic ball lolllllllllllllllll

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A party with a wizard, pirate soldier and jester would never stoop to such juvenile jokes.

:colbert:

They prefer the far more refined tastes of physical prop comedy

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Slaan posted:

A party with a wizard, pirate soldier and jester would never stoop to such juvenile jokes.

Yeah. With mundane balls.

just regular balls

DiggleWrath fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 2, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

You mean the type of comedy where the comic just lugs around a sack and pulls stuff from that sack?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pies. It involves cream pies! Cream pies and giant phallic bats!

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

There are starving children in Alefgard who could eat those cream pies, you wasteful buffoon!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

FeyerbrandX posted:

You mean the type of comedy where the comic just lugs around a sack and pulls stuff from that sack?

Are there any magic balls in that sack? :roflolmao:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

clockwork chaos posted:

There are starving children in Alefgard who could eat those cream pies, you wasteful buffoon!

If they want to eat, then they can pull themselves up by their own ball sack strings and Get A Job like Swindle :bahgawd:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slaan posted:

If they want to eat, then they can pull themselves up by their own ball sack

:hmbol:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
MAGIC BALLS :lol::lol::lol:

ッッ\_:newlol:_/ッッ:pipe:
           |
           |
    :chillpill:
:science: :science:
     /        \
  _/           \_

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Magic balls? Heh. Let me guess, we'll get a :airquote: Wizard's Staff next to complete the set?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've unsealed something I never should have :ughh:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Didn't you say the same thing about the wasps?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A wizard who collects enough Magic Balls will become the mighty Balzak!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Unsealed in error, you say? Here, have some highly technical Grey Goo, invented by the finest scientist of this age. Now put up some planks to the wall and start pouring. :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Unsealed in error, you say? Here, have some highly technical Grey Goo, invented by the finest scientist of this age. Now put up some planks to the wall and start pouring. :colbert:

Grey Goo is stored in the magic balls.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Grey Goo is stored in the magic balls.

Gonna make a Grey Gooverhaus.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kheldarn posted:

Gonna make a Grey Gooverhaus.

A GOOMHOUSE?!?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I think the Magic Ball is called a Magic Bomb in the GBC localization, and a Wrecking Ball in the mobile localization.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey. Just so y誕ll know, it may be a bit with my next update. Without getting too e/n my birthday is coming up and I知 not taking well to looking middle age.

I値l have the sword based funnies out as soon as I can make them. Thanks for your understanding!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Chokes McGee posted:

Hey. Just so y誕ll know, it may be a bit with my next update. Without getting too e/n my birthday is coming up and I知 not taking well to looking middle age.

I値l have the sword based funnies out as soon as I can make them. Thanks for your understanding!

If it helps, when I turned 30 I threw out my back. 31, broke my leg and got a hernia because I overexerted myself while healing, and cancer when turning 32. I'm like, 95% positive I'm gonna die on my 33rd birthday.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 9, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If it helps, when I turned 30 I threw out my back. 31, broke my leg and got a hernia because I overexerted myself while healing, and cancer when turning 32. I'm like, 95% positive I'm gonna die on my 33rd birthday.

Last year, I got electrocuted in a swimming pool like a week before my 37th birthday. Had to spend about 3 and a half days in the hospital to be treated for rhabdomyolysis.

So take heart, Chokes! Sure, it sucks getting older, but it could always be worse!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jesus. :stare:

Please do not kill yourselves in accidents goons, I need an audience for these things to validate my self-esteem :ohdear:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Will you invite the wasps to your party? More importantly, will the wasps have festive party hats?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Now, now. Don't worry, its Erika and company that has to deal with the wasp. Have a happy birthday Chokes.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Please do not kill yourselves in accidents goons, I need an audience for these things to validate my self-esteem :ohdear:

I will always validate your self esteem, FF Legend LP was the reason I bought a SA account.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Chokes McGee posted:

You're not my real dad (mom?) you can't tell me what to do I will die at 33 and have a blast doing so

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I will die at 33 and have a blast doing so
Sounds suspiciously like announcing a suicide bombing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Pierzak posted:

Sounds suspiciously like announcing a suicide bombing.

I think you mean a magic ball delivery.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi all! I'm back in the saddle again, and I expect a new chapter to come out over the next two days or so.

Just a bump to keep this from falling into the archives.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Hope your birthday was great <3

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Cheers Chokes! Your content is always well worth the wait.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chapter 7: Holey Moley

This place has seen better days...

This is what happens when you don't spend money on infrastructure.

Indeed, which is why the monetary support of non-government providers is so important.

You're a libertarian? Like I needed another reason to kick you in the back of the head...

Aha. Too easy—just how they wanted it.

Just how who wanted it?

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

:mad:

So, it's been brought to my attention that our loyal readers have zero clue where we are in the dungeon at any given time.

To be fair, I don't blame you. I don't know where we are most of the time. Dragon Warrior 3 dungeons are classic dungeons. They're not built to be comprehended. They're built to wander around helplessly in, opening whatever treasure chest you come across with some vague sense of terror until you stumble upon a staircase down that makes things infinitely worse.

Speaking of which...

Well, this is new.

Yes. I didn't know Hell had anteaters.

Well, who's going to eat the Hell Ants?

If we see one of those now, Swindle, I swear to gods...

Aw, I like the little bunny! It's purple! :kiddo:

Zzzzzzzz

Layabouts! Get up, I'm not paying you to sleep on the job!

Zzzzz

Who's cute now, motherfuckers?!

This is a really good lineup that shows you the new faces we'll be dealing with. Moths and wasps, we've seen. We can rearrange the wasps' collective faces pretty easily, so whatever. The Demon Anteaters, despite their :black101: name, are just slightly tougher Giant Anteaters—and I do mean slightly. That moth's Surround spells are now a little more dangerous, but the real problem?

That spiked hare.

This is the first exposure we've had to the classic Dragon Warrior 3 Sleep spell. A mainstay of the series, Sleep affects (surprisingly) all opponents on the battlefield and, if it sticks, disables that monster for a few rounds. Whacking them in the face tends to wake them up sooner rather than later, so if you need to isolate and pick off weaker monsters before dealing with heavy hitters, this is the spell for you.

We, of course, do not have Sleep yet. These rabbits will be priority targets, because we do not want the entire party helpless to have their skulls pounded in. Having a sleeping party is one of the most helpless feelings in Dragon Warrior, so we want to avoid it whenever possible.

Shanna finally wakes up long enough to clobber the hare, and then we can dispatch the wasp through normal means.

This, of course, will not be the only headache through this section. Oh no.

That's... probably not good.

my limbs, my precious limbs, they're all on fire

IT BURRRRRRRRRNS

Oh dear. It's going to be a long day for me.

The Magicians are back. And this time, it's personal.

Four-Magician fights are a common headache throughout this area—and they're going to be full on migraines. We don't have Stopspell, we don't have crowd control, and we don't have mass healing. It's going to take two or three hits to floor each one. This is going to hurt. A lot.

We dispatch these jerks, and fortunately, not a whole lot show up through this next section. That's good, because Shanna only has so much MP. Back to wandering around aimlessly and hoping for the best!

Does anyone know where we are? Seriously. Any clue?

Well, there's a lot of holes in the ground. :hmmyes:

So no?

How would I know? Do I look like the hole expert? Do I have some sort of Master's Degree in Holeology from Mount St. Holey Moley University?

I didn't—

Well, I do, and it's right here.

I'm neither asking where you got that nor caring.

Nope. Not doing this.

OH NO

I think you may have overdone it.

Next time one of these things comes at me, I'm gonna rip its cute widdle horn out of its cute widdle head and use it to beat it to death.

I'm concerned you may have some unresolved rage issues.

gently caress you.

Monsters in this game can cheese it, too! Some are cowardly/smart enough to save their own skin if they don't have backup. Plus, as your guys level up, they'll get less and less interested in sticking around to get their faces kicked in. It's a little thing, but it adds a level of nuance to fights that makes them feel much more organic instead of an exercise in button pushing.

Still haven't found the next level, though. Onwards!

argh

ARGH

:mmmhmm:

Not too shabby. Swindle, how much can you get for this?

140 GP, give or take.

That's after your usual amount of embezzlement, right?

Of course! I wouldn't shortchange you like that.

Of course not.

Oh thank gently caress.

Okay, guys. It's been kind of brutal, but we're holding up. All we need to do is—

Oh. Hmm.

Is this what turns into those moths?

Maybe? I don't know, ask Dr. Holes back there.

Are you nuts? I can't get a scholarship for a PhD. Do you know how much that would cost?

Um.

This is why we need to reform the educational system in the kingdom. I could've been a Doctor of Holeology. I could've promoted my theory that all holes go to the same place, but nooooooo, I had to drop out because I couldn't afford student loans on my own.

Ah. This monster doesn't appear to be taking much damage.

And, of course, I had to change my major, because you can't make any money studying holes. Do you know how hard it is to get training at a community monastary? I had to punch stuff eight hours a day and then meditate until I fell asleep, then wake up and do the whole thing all over again.

Uh...

blorf

It just goes to show you that—

Nina, shut up and run

We are colossally in over our heads here!

Quick! Get to the exit before—

ulp

That could've gone better.

No poo poo.

That catepillar doesn't do anything special except be tough as gently caress all and deal out some pretty good damage. We'll only see them on this floor, but it concerned me enough to try and abort this run. Erika immediately wipes out, because lol Magicians. This game is really obnoxious until you get a dungeon escape spell—and, as I'm sure you've guessed, that's gonna take a bit.

Anyway, Erika's out of comission until we get back to town. Who's in charge now?

Oh.

I'd like to have a moment of silence for our dear, departed leader. Her temper may have been short, but she was always there when we needed her.

I'm right here, y'know.

That was very moving, Swindle.

Yeah. It's like I can hear her voice now.

The hell? I know you guys can hear me.

It's all, "OooOoo. Niiiiina, you can have all of my stuuuuuuuuff."

Touch Queen Sparkleboots, and I will straight up zombie your rear end.

Shush, both of you. Now. Any ideas how we're getting out of here with just three people?

Glad you should ask! Why, we'll just pop over here...

...and he sticks the landing!

oof

lol owned

That was very clever, Swindle. How did you know jumping into one of the holes was a shortcut?

Oh, you have to know these things when you're in charge.

Stop stealing my party!

Stop stealing my thesis!

Next Time: Brave New World

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Original content, do not steal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009