Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IF FOR SOME REASON YOU KNOW THE PLOT OF NEOPETS: THE DARKEST FAERIE, DON'T SPOIL poo poo. THANK YOU.

What is this game?
Neopets: The Darkest Faerie is a 2005 game of the ever-nebulous action-adventure genre based on the Neopets franchise.

What's Neopets?
That's a pretty big question, but essentially Neopets is a site that started around the turn of the century, jumping on the virtual pet craze started by the likes of Pokemon and Tamagotchi, and basically involved keeping your little fellas full of food while exploring the various themed areas of Neopia to try and find items and playing minigames to fill your wallet with Neopoints, the currency used to buy anything and everything (before real money currency became a thing, of course). It was a massive timesuck, and my time with it basically ended when I realized that almost anything worth having was indescribably expensive, because player-based economies are a hell of a thing.

So where does the game tie in?
Rather than try and do a whole monster-raising thing, the folks who made this game decided to take inspiration from one of the many regions of Neopia, specifically the medieval-themed land of Meridell. Thus, what we have on our hands is a hacky, slashy adventure that can best be described as "Neopets but medieval tho". Almost all of the Neopets that appear are kinda-sorta-furries, which is to say that they're all bipedal.

Why play this game?
Back in 2005 I seem to recall renting this game, though I don't remember very much from it. When I got my capture card in 2017 I decided to satisfy a nagging curiosity and ordered it off Amazon. I swiftly realized that 2005's Voreskin had some incredibly low standards. It's kind of a trainwreck, and I want to see just how bad it gets while taking as many innocent goons along with me for the ride as I can. Fortunately I'm not alone, having managed to already drag two nerds into this. Doctor Brainhole is a good friend who can best be described as a lover of game design, and Admiral Dickfuck is a hollering gay miasma who can best be described as my boyfriend. Join us as we delve into what can best be described as a shitshow.

Didn't you try to do this before?
I did. I don't wanna talk about it.

RULES
Spoilers are punishable by probe. Reminiscing about Neopets is encouraged.

Videos

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 7, 2022

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I talked poo poo about the water, but I want to be clear that the water in LEGO The Incredibles is way worse. Even great games have disgusting water sometimes.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

They put Link in a fursuit so now his grunts sound a slight bit weird.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Man this new season of Telltale's "The Wolf Among Us" sure looks bad :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

Man this new season of Telltale's "The Wolf Among Us" sure looks bad :v:

Hubert will remember that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, I haven't thought about Neopets in ages. I managed to snag a Jetsam once. That was cool.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My first Neopet was a Shoyru, which in retrospect I think I like because they resemble Mew.

I also had the t-rex looking Neopet because my cousins, who introduced me to the site, informed me that they could eat literally anything. That sounded useful.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

I also had the t-rex looking Neopet because my cousins, who introduced me to the site, informed me that they could eat literally anything. That sounded useful.

I don't remember there being puzzle-solving elements incorporated into exploring Neopia, but I'm sure it would have been if there were.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I went for a... Gelert...? Lupa? for my first Neopet. I was in that stage of life where I really liked wolves.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I went for a... Gelert...? Lupa? for my first Neopet. I was in that stage of life where I really liked wolves.

Have I got a game for you!!!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Have I got a game for you!!!!

Oh boyo. I never did hang out in the medieval area much IIRC. The games I preferred were in the prehistoric place.

Fun fact about my Jetsam, which is one of the shark dudes. They were a limited "only available on this day of the year" pets, so I got one of my friends to log on to my account and get one as it was a school day. He named it something really dumb, like "Garbage".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lizard Wizard posted:

My first Neopet was a Shoyru, which in retrospect I think I like because they resemble Mew.

Didn't getting a Shoyru mean you had to spend actual money on the game? :raise: or am I thinking one of the other ones

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wasn't old enough for Neopets when it came around. The big internet multiplayer game that I was into was Poptropica.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh dang I wasted a lot of time on Neopets as a preteen/actual teen. I had a Christmas Zafara that I loved the hell out of :3:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What started out as being blindly curious to how much a Christmas Paintbrush costs has devolved into me remaking my Neopets account, red shoyru and all. Alongside this LP I'm going to be visiting the site each day and-

...never mind, it's broken.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2019

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The best thing about Neopets was the big stupid huge plot events. I vaguely remember the uuuh... underwater one with the mermaid sisters where one got visions of good things happening and the other got visions of bad things happening, so the stupid mermaids banished the sister who got 'bad' visions, because how could knowing when bad things are going to happen EVER be helpful??

Like iirc you couldn't prevent the thing she saw from happening, but you could have at least like, planned for the aftermath.

EDIT: Fun fact Neopets was owned by the Church of Scientology for a while.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
Ah, this takes me back to my childhood. I loved the site for so long until A: I started to just grow out of it, and B: Inflation got (even) worse and exceeded my desire to earn neopoints purely through games.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The game the two Lupes (wolves, I had to google to make sure that was the right spelling and now I'm all nostalgic) were playing was referencing a big event in Neopets near the very beginning of its existence where some poor bastard bat dude got corrupted and in turn corrupted a bunch of his subjects then levitated his kingdom above Meridell. A Lupe from the future - which is extremely confusing because as you said in the video, Meridell is still a bass-ackwards country in the modern Neopia gets catapulted "back" to fight, leaving behind his Aisha(?) sister, who looks like the little blue cat child in the start of the video who eventually follows him alongside a ragtag group of her friends. I think it led to a pet colour called Darigan? Or Carrigan? I was't there for it so it's a blur.

And the person who asked about Pay to Win pets, the Lutari were released at the same time as a phone tie-in that Neopets did. You could get a contract and you'd get special rewards based on the Space Faerie, who was a Faerie based on space, but you also had the chance to get a Lutari. They were the rarest pets and probably still are, alongside Jetsam, Cybunny, Draik, Poogle, Krawk, Hissi, Tonu, Koi, Kiko and Chomby (I did google these names because lol it's been well over a decade since I played). I used to hear about kids drat near spending real money to get one of those pets.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Man, I used to love Neopets. I feel like the pay to win stuff wasn't quite so bad back when I was playing, but I also admit to the game eating a lot of my time on a day to day basis (which is probably why I eventually gave it up) and most of my favorites weren't exceptionally rare. I do remember paintbrushes always being a jerk to get though.

Will follow this with interest, no matter how far down the dumb rabbit hole (or should that be Cybunny) it goes.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I'm really surprised they haven't made more games like this really, given how big of a thing Neopets were/are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lightning in a bottle. Nobody fully understands how or why it became so popular, including (or especially) the people that own it; any future attempts to repeat the magic would only be doomed, especially in today's ad-flooded, microtransaction-riddled hellscape.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Lightning in a bottle. Nobody fully understands how or why it became so popular, including (or especially) the people that own it; any future attempts to repeat the magic would only be doomed, especially in today's ad-flooded, microtransaction-riddled hellscape.

The latter part is kind of why. I mean, if you tried to do it today it would look really transparently like the cash grab it is no matter what you do. When it started, neopets had at least actual interest in the critters themselves and an interesting world that promised stuff to find. There's also the matter of the games: back then internet flash games and the like really were both new and huge and the arcade was part of the attraction as you couldn't find that variety anywhere else. Now when you've got Steam and Facebook Arcade, it'd be hard to make it a draw again.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There have been several popular alternatives to Neopets, all of which one of my siblings bought into at some point. Webkinz, Animal Jam, and so on. Most of them had more going on than Neopets though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I'm really surprised they haven't made more games like this really, given how big of a thing Neopets were/are.

Turns out there were a few! One of them is Luxor, another was Puzzle Quest, and another still is some kinda hack-and-slash affair for the PSP that I'm assuming is actually the closest to being worth playing, given the competition.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Can't believe Tor was the real Keyblade master all along from all those sick moves he taught Riku.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Even 10+ years later, I still know too much about Neopets and its lore, and this LP has exasperated that.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Lizard Wizard posted:

What started out as being blindly curious to how much a Christmas Paintbrush costs has devolved into me remaking my Neopets account, red shoyru and all. Alongside this LP I'm going to be visiting the site each day and-

...never mind, it's broken.

It's not broken, you have to enable flash player to see the maps. Yes, they still haven't updated the site fully.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I regret enabling flash.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 12, 2019

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I regret enabling flash.

You'll eat your sandy omelette and you'll like it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That ain't sand.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

That ain't sand.

Who puts sugar on an omelette???

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Chronische posted:

Who puts sugar on an omelette???

I think that's marshmallow if I'm remembering right.

Neopets had a lot of weird food items like that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh god the memories are slowly trickling back :psyduck:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

friendly reminder that you haven't fed your neopets in over 10+ years

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Simsmagic posted:

friendly reminder that you haven't fed your neopets in over 10+ years

do they die

if they're dead i probably can't fix that, but if they're not dead then they're probably doing fine

that's how it works right

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

do they die

if they're dead i probably can't fix that, but if they're not dead then they're probably doing fine

that's how it works right

They just cry.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Paying off his debt to society, Trump the Highwayman!"