Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Holy poo poo these cutscene animations (or the lack thereof) :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

"Paying off his debt to society, Trump the Highwayman!"

What else were they trying to tell us?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

White Coke posted:

What else were they trying to tell us?

"We weren't prepared to make a PS2 game."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'm getting serious Sudeki vibes from this poo poo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm getting serious Sudeki vibes from this poo poo.

You're just trying to make me buy good video games, aren't you.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2019

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I mean it makes sense Jon Torbuckle's actor shares the same VA with Tor, Jon's family in the Garfield canon did actually grow up on a farm so maybe he saw a window into another life there or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Despite this being a total drag of a game, Neopets is a sad story of unrealized potential. If they'd been quicker, they could have seized the Pokemon craze before it kicked off outside of Japan. That, or otherwise latched onto it, but Neopets is just a miserable failure of a business venture.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Chronische posted:

Despite this being a total drag of a game, Neopets is a sad story of unrealized potential. If they'd been quicker, they could have seized the Pokemon craze before it kicked off outside of Japan. That, or otherwise latched onto it, but Neopets is just a miserable failure of a business venture.

You think it would've succeeded at trying to enter the Pokemon market? That seems like a really expensive investment.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You think it would've succeeded at trying to enter the Pokemon market? That seems like a really expensive investment.

I meant before Pokemon did; and certainly it would have. Game Freak certainly paid a lot for their global marketing blitz, but it paid off for them. Might have worked for Neopets if they'd tried, who knows? They played it way, way too safe and now are a relic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I always thought that the Battledome and all the various stuff surrounding it was their attempt to get a little more pokemon-like.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo these cutscene animations (or the lack thereof) :psyduck:

The same studio that did the CG scenes in this game also produced this music video:

https://youtu.be/oPzhUp8mWgs

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mamkute posted:

The same studio that did the CG scenes in this game also produced this music video:

https://youtu.be/oPzhUp8mWgs

Come on now, that looks better than anything in this mess.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Chronische posted:

Same with Digimon too. I think it would have been really neat to have a decent Digimon and Neopets game to play between Pokemon games, but alas.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Same with Digimon too. I think it would have been really neat to have a decent Digimon and Neopets game to play between Pokemon games, but alas.

I can recommend several Digimon games I love, but they're really hard and probably not for anyone who likes having fun without deconstructing unreasonably obtuse game mechanics.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ahhh man this game. I remember being really interested in it because I was all about Neopets lore but even I saw the game and went "oh, no thank you, please put the plot on the website"

So getting to see this in action is a .......... treat ?

I stayed on the website for quite a while, I know I was there past the Altador plot but I can't remember if I dropped off before the full site redesign and emphasis on the real-world-currency marketplace. The plots had a lot of charm to them, I say, with no intent to ever look back on them. The art was charming, the characters were fine, you had a lot of real-time stuff where you could earn points and items and so on. Good memories!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My favorite Digimon game is Monster Rancher.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'm gonna say lol at anyone who chose digimon in the digimon v pokemon wars.
Where I come from, it was one or the other.
Much like rock v rap, you gotta pick a side.

Then again this was the voice acting we were offered in digimon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T_TLBZxY4U

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry for the delay, folks, scheduling is a small hell. Still not sure if the game goes up to a million motes.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sorry for the delay, folks, scheduling is a small hell. Still not sure if the game goes up to a million motes.

Oh god, is that what you've been doing this whole time?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 9, 2019

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I'm glad that one of the experiments from Lilo & Stitch became ruler of his own kingdom.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

I'm glad that one of the experiments from Lilo & Stitch became ruler of his own kingdom.

The whole game's an experiment if you ask me, but I've still got one burning question on my mind: have any of YOU ever sat on a doorknob, dear viewers?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This is the kind of quality commentary I've come to expect from a LizWiz LP.

Also yes, F-List is an experience. And that boss fight... :discourse:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure the experiment Bill was running in-universe (in Pokemon Gen 1) was something involving a teleportation device, like a Chrono Trigger style Telepod. Whether or not he intended to merge with the Clefairy or whatever is up for debate. However, no Pokemon ever emerges from the teleporter.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Upon watching yesterday's video I realized Ferb and Games were a bit hard to hear, so I went ahead and rectified that. Whoops!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

rannum posted:

I stayed on the website for quite a while, I know I was there past the Altador plot but I can't remember if I dropped off before the full site redesign and emphasis on the real-world-currency marketplace. The plots had a lot of charm to them, I say, with no intent to ever look back on them. The art was charming, the characters were fine, you had a lot of real-time stuff where you could earn points and items and so on. Good memories!

Neopets was basically an extension of the early 2000's Flash Game craze, but with winnable currency that you spent on Pet stuff. It was a really solid premise but over time things got super bloated and people stopped caring after a while.

Also, slot machines. Some of the charm was straight up gambling with neocoins. RIP Scorchy Slots.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I loved Neopets as a young'un. I seem to recall liking a game on there that was like some sort of rpg chess game?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I loved Neopets as a young'un. I seem to recall liking a game on there that was like some sort of rpg chess game?

Sorcerers' Skirmish?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

D1Sergo posted:

Neopets was basically an extension of the early 2000's Flash Game craze, but with winnable currency that you spent on Pet stuff. It was a really solid premise but over time things got super bloated and people stopped caring after a while.

Also, slot machines. Some of the charm was straight up gambling with neocoins. RIP Scorchy Slots.

The gambling subset of games was always my least favorite.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
LizWiz asked me if I was able to gather a thought about this episode's commentary to post here. And uh... It certainly exists. I got some good laughs out of it. #NoFilter

Looking forward to seeing if the next character handles combat any better than Tor.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

So do you get to do magic with the new character? Is that more satisfying than the slow and spammy melee combat?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chronische posted:

So do you get to do magic with the new character? Is that more satisfying than the slow and spammy melee combat?

I'll try to stop talking about weird boners for long enough to articulate my thoughts on that next time we record.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll try to stop talking about weird boners for long enough to articulate my thoughts on that next time we record.

There really is only so much to talk about, gameplay-wise... and the history of Neopets is a strange, strange thing, but not something that can be discussed for hours on end. All conversation eventually devolves to dicks given enough time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

So, ranged combat but enemies dodge basically everything, your attacks are tied to mana which is annoying to replenish, you do almost no damage even if you do hit and have mana... so, I guess things CAN get worse than the melee combat.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chronische posted:

So, ranged combat but enemies dodge basically everything, your attacks are tied to mana which is annoying to replenish, you do almost no damage even if you do hit and have mana... so, I guess things CAN get worse than the melee combat.

Oh, and things don't block our melee attacks any time they feel like it? :v:

In all seriousness, though, I do prefer Roberta, but it's not until a few weapon upgrades down the line that she becomes viable.

Also, my video rendering software did a fucky wucky and we didn''t have anything to talk over this week as a result. Hang tight 'till next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004