Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The interviews with Richard Wolf and Adam Curtis are good. Also any episode with Will Sommer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

^^^ohh yeah the Adam Curtis interview is really good

morally adept posted:

I finally subscribed to chapo, became a grey wolf, yadda yadda etc. I didn't start listening until sometime in 2017 so I'm a bit behind. Which episodes are a must listen?

any episode with a review of ben shapiro's books, especially True Allegiance

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mayor Dave posted:

Where is girls chat

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

morally adept posted:

I finally subscribed to chapo, became a grey wolf, yadda yadda etc. I didn't start listening until sometime in 2017 so I'm a bit behind. Which episodes are a must listen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1F2ejZ-tGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh9rDFQNgKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eltf5NQhvE8

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm on episode 19 of 60 or so of "revolutions" podcast about the French revolution. I find it really interesting and the host is pretty ok too. I'll probably jump around in order of interest/lack of knowledge. Shoutout to whoever the goon was that recommended it in some cspam thread a couple weeks ago.

street fight i enjoy like I would a call in radio show (I used to love them and would gently caress around with Boston's FM talk station back when I worked third shift weekends). They call in shows are long and cover my entire commute round trip, so that's nice too.

hell of a way to die is on regular rotation for me, and citations needed is great so far though I've only started listening to it recently

I really recommend going in order through Revolutions, things tend to lead into each other. Like, the French revolution specifcally plays into the next...five(?) pretty heavily

at least don't skip Haiti, because it rules hard. there's a point towards the end of it where Mike starts editorializing about how the other revolutions cloaked themselves in flowery, liberal rhetoric about freedom and equality meanwhile the Haitians are goddamned slaves throwing off their shackles. actual liberation, none of this "boohoo my taxes" bullshit

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I skipped all of the English Civil War and American Revolution parts because I just did not care

I started listening to a podcast about the British Empire and the first like 20 episodes are about Stuart family drama, mega yawn

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Cocaine and Rhinestones
Good country music history podcast, currently in development on season 2. Guy is kind of smugly annoying sometimes but still very interesting material

Hit Parade
Pop music history, really incredible. Guy is not smugly annoying. Recommended first eps: Stevie Wonder (Everybody Say Yeah!), Britney Spears (Give Me a Sign [this one contains my favorite music factoid of all time]), Donna Summer (Queen of Disco)

The Siecle
History of 19th century France. It just started so hasn't gotten to the parts I'm most interested to hear about (Charles X being a total moron, Dreyfus) but still good so far

Unfortunately none of these people are mad on twitter, so y'all might not like them

I was wondering about the siecle since it came up in my feed.
Thanks for the recommendation :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

I really recommend going in order through Revolutions, things tend to lead into each other. Like, the French revolution specifcally plays into the next...five(?) pretty heavily

at least don't skip Haiti, because it rules hard. there's a point towards the end of it where Mike starts editorializing about how the other revolutions cloaked themselves in flowery, liberal rhetoric about freedom and equality meanwhile the Haitians are goddamned slaves throwing off their shackles. actual liberation, none of this "boohoo my taxes" bullshit

It was a real good series

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Uhh Yeah Dude bitch

https://uhhyeahdude.com/

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I skipped all of the English Civil War and American Revolution parts because I just did not care

I started listening to a podcast about the British Empire and the first like 20 episodes are about Stuart family drama, mega yawn

the american revolution sounds boring to me as well

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

morally adept posted:

not really episodes, but the woke zoo crew and woke ally sports radio cold opens are amazing

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Knowledge Fight
https://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/

Keep up with what Alex Jones and the most insane people in the world are up to without destroying your brain actually listening to their shows. They examine Alex Jones episodes and debunk all of his bullshit, currently the episodes split between modern day and episodes from the immediate aftermath of Sandy Hook to see how much legally actionable poo poo Alex said (spoiler alert: so much legally actionable poo poo). Also occasionally does episodes on lesser known conspiracy nuts.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
podcasts,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fentry posted:

Knowledge Fight

Keep up with what Alex Jones and the most insane people in the world are up to without destroying your brain actually listening to their shows. They examine Alex Jones episodes and debunk all of his bullshit, currently the episodes split between modern day and episodes from the immediate aftermath of Sandy Hook to see how much legally actionable poo poo Alex said (spoiler alert: so much legally actionable poo poo). Also occasionally does episodes on lesser known conspiracy nuts.

I sent them an mp3 of Alex Jones on 9/11

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fentry posted:

Knowledge Fight

You will be disappointed in alex jones

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They also spent twenty episodes tracking alex's journey to joining the trump train

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Anyone listen to Cum Town? From what I’ve heard they’re friends with the Chapo guys IRL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Someone at the show last night abruptly yelled 'BONG HIT TRANSPLANT' during an unrelated bit and it made everyone on stage visibly uncomfortable. A perfect microcosm of every podcast thread on this subforum.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mila kunis posted:

the american revolution sounds boring to me as well

It's fine and short

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This show is great because it’s mostly comedy but they have gotten pretty hardcore radicalized over the years and when they let it slip it’s pretty great.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im like 200 UYDs behind now but its still probably the best podcast ever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alan Moore is on the new Chapo, finally I won't be off.topic

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Thread rule: dickeye can only make 1 post max on each page in this thread.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I don't know who dickeye is, but if they PM me things they want to say itt, I will post em up to get around this thread rule.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

This show is great because it’s mostly comedy but they have gotten pretty hardcore radicalized over the years and when they let it slip it’s pretty great.

Honestly I would argue that they were radicalized back when the show started in 2006(!), but it wasn't really apparent until such radicalization became more mainstream. The podcast as a whole has aged tremendously well, if you want to get into the show there's a case to be made for just starting at episode 1 and going forward (if you can find those earliest eps).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Honestly I would argue that they were radicalized back when the show started in 2006(!), but it wasn't really apparent until such radicalization became more mainstream. The podcast as a whole has aged tremendously well, if you want to get into the show there's a case to be made for just starting at episode 1 and going forward (if you can find those earliest eps).

seth has always been extremely good at capturing the psychological toll of late capitalism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXArWsp6fRc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Farm Frenzy posted:

seth has always been extremely good at capturing the psychological toll of late capitalism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXArWsp6fRc

People who don't know what UYD is: open this clip in a new tab and post what year you think it came from after you listen to it. No cheating!

https://youtu.be/sWsnaLIln1c

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fentry posted:

Knowledge Fight

i'm still shocked that the guy who was once so anti-authority that he accused W of 9/11 being an inside job, at the height of america blindly following authority, is now pro-government

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aside from stuff already mentioned, History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps has been going on since at least 2011, is hosted by a philosophy professor based in London and Munich. It started with Thales and the Pre-Socratics, goes through ancient, and classical history, heads to cover philosophy in the Islamic world, then jumps back to cover medieval western Europe and after that has just finished a run on Byzantine/Eastern European philosophy. So that's about 330 episodes and then there's the accompanying shows covering Indian and African philosophy, albeit in a lot less depth because I guess there's fewer sources in a language the host reads. He's also talked about wanting to get to Chinese eventually.

It's really in depth and if you've a passing interest it's worth a listen.

Tides of History is good history stuff too, covering medieval and early modern European history.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

If you're interested in criminal legal system reform and prison abolition, Adam from Citations Needed has another podcast about these topics, The Appeal. The episodes are shorter than CN but just as enraging!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Thread rule: dickeye can only make 1 post max on each page in this thread.

What if I just don't multi post like a lunatic about whatever dumb bullshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Your Kickstarter Sucks
https://soundcloud.com/ykspod

David Harvey's Anti-Capitalist Chronicles
http://anticapitalistchronicles.libsyn.com/

Economic Update
https://economicupdate.libsyn.com/

Intercepted
https://theintercept.com/podcasts/intercepted/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Aside from stuff already mentioned, History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps has been going on since at least 2011, is hosted by a philosophy professor based in London and Munich. It started with Thales and the Pre-Socratics, goes through ancient, and classical history, heads to cover philosophy in the Islamic world, then jumps back to cover medieval western Europe and after that has just finished a run on Byzantine/Eastern European philosophy. So that's about 330 episodes and then there's the accompanying shows covering Indian and African philosophy, albeit in a lot less depth because I guess there's fewer sources in a language the host reads. He's also talked about wanting to get to Chinese eventually.

It's really in depth and if you've a passing interest it's worth a listen.

Tides of History is good history stuff too, covering medieval and early modern European history.

Tides of history is excellent and the guy did a fall of Rome podcast as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's not political (well, not every week) but i like Report This Post. it's reading off terrible posts and making fun of them

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

gave the behind the bastards epidodes about assad a go and laughed my rear end off at how wrong the hosts were. and also his vocal fry and stupid loving voice are hilarious too.

What did he get wrong specifically? Honestly asking. I know him bringing up tankies made some folks feel defensive.

BTB is easily the most accessible go-to primer on the evils of rampant capital and colonialism and their material effects I can think of. I don't really know if Robert Evans is a leftist but it's basically impossible for a normal person to listen to that show without radicalizing them to some extent. Show is good. Not as educational or eye-opening as others but it's good at making people mad and reminding you that our enemies are all literal monsters.

gh0stpinballa posted:

he does this other pod called behind the bastards and they just did a 2 parter on assad. his co host is a lib feminist who wants america to get deeper into syria. she supported the US bombing last year and altho she's supposed to be a syria expert she didn't know what the mukhabarat was until midway through part 1 lol

they both downplay the genocidal ideology of the "rebels", promote the MS paint journalism of bellingcat, and say obama "overthought" the situation whereas bush would have "at least gone in swinging" in 2011. they also say it's a shame iraq went badly because it scared obama away from invading syria. evans also claims the US provided minimal support to the "good" rebels, completely ignoring that altho it is true the US outsourced much of the arms and jihadi smuggling to regional allies, it's still one of the most expensive regime change efforts in CIA history by now.

i have no idea how this man can describe himself as an "anarcho leftist".

also i can't stand his smug voice and vocal fry.

I'll take your word for it. Though I don't believe at any time his co-host was described or presented as an expert on Syria, he's had her on several other unrelated eps and she's almost always dumb as a box of rocks. I think he chooses guests based on personal chemistry to bounce poo poo off of, not to seriously contribute to his presentation of a subject. I like Bob Evans though and while someone like you or I may not need to know why someone like George Bush Sr. was evil, there are lots of people who do and who are shocked by the depths of their wickedness.

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

I would also throw in Struggle Session because Leslie Lee is an A+ leftist and Jack Allison has a good BS detector but they talk about pop culture mostly so it's fun.

Goddamn Struggle Session sucks though. Love firing up an episode for a leftist critique of media only to get an hour of why things they like are cool and good while things they don't are vapid cultural dreck, completely arbitrarily.

Though I did appreciate their recent ep where they finally just own up to being contrarians , though with the caveat that you should never, ever call them that because they find it belittling. Remains the one podcast I've subbed, unsubbed, and subbed again the most times in succession.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Goddamn Struggle Session sucks though. Love firing up an episode for a leftist critique of media only to get an hour of why things they like are cool and good while things they don't are vapid cultural dreck, completely arbitrarily.

Though I did appreciate their recent ep where they finally just own up to being contrarians , though with the caveat that you should never, ever call them that because they find it belittling. Remains the one podcast I've subbed, unsubbed, and subbed again the most times in succession.

They're really hit or miss. Also all their good eps are patreon only

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

Lol if that was your takeaway from the Let People Enjoy Things episode, that poo poo is legitimately toxic and exists entirely to shut people up for saying the thing you like is bad

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
struggle session has the worst editing. snip that one dude's goober half-laugh that he lets out for no reason all the time, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lol if that was your takeaway from the Let People Enjoy Things episode, that poo poo is legitimately toxic and exists entirely to shut people up for saying the thing you like is bad

They say multiple times in the same episode the thing you just said, as well as "we are contrarians", stated plainly. At least Jack did and it got a sort of begrudging acknowledgement from Lesley :shrug:

I like the guys, I wouldn't keep resubbing if I didn't, but they're absolutely contrarians and making a whole episode about how they're not only cemented that fact further. Frankly it effects the quality of their critique and it's keeping their show from reaching it's true potential.