Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I do like the description of us entering the Cool Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Caiaphas Cain were the best 40k books avd deserves to be adapted into like a animated series or something. They've had me interested in reading the Harry Flashman books

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Any idea when in June the Chapo adjacent Iraq War podcast go public? I wasnt going to jump on Stitcher premium.

Also Felix has lones the most basic bitch taste in videogames.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Often Abbreviated posted:

Sorry Adam, :(

In other news I don't appreciate the Chapo boys gaslighting us by dreaming up an old style bb board with no likes or points other than postcounts and sub-boards for everything and then saying that's reddit.

what the gently caress guys

It's hilarious how Felix just said buy everyone an SA account. But didn't wasnt to send people to give LowTax money

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I just picked up Libra and American Tabloid thanks to the Chapo JFK episode. Which one should I read first?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

CTH is constantly accused of using "irony" to mask genuine bigotry, when their stock in trade is just extremely obvious sarcasm.

That this outs missed by people with things like "fluent in snark" on their Twitter bios makes it funnier

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gripweed posted:

He's gotta promote his new movie. It's not doing great

You could tell it was going to be garbage

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Blowback was a tough listen, just hoping between being rage inducing to depressing.

I tried getting Stitcher premium cause I washed too listen to the two exclusive bonus episodes, but it tripped my cards fraud alert 3 times in a row trying to do it before I said gently caress it. And Blackwoolf doesn't seem to have the bonus episodes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Deified Data posted:

This was legit a crazy racist episode lol

If got through like 70% of it, they tear Taibbi a new rear end in a top hat and apologize for entertaining his poo poo in the last 30% right

Right

So they do pushback on his bullshit at the very end? Except for Amber I guess. It's our even nnn worth listening to in the morning?

Cause Chapo talks Bout how racist an institution cops are and how racist American cops are I can't believe they wouldn't burst out laughing at the assertion they're not

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Which of the Chapos is going to be the first to use the reaction to newest episode as proof that cancel culture is real?

Amber

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm not even 20 mintues in and this is a mess. Like yes the only reason liberals care right now about the systemic racism in America is Trump and the second he's gone they'll go back to not caring. Nut Taibbi just doesn't seem to like the idea that the concept of America was white supremacist from the get go. Come the gently caress on, if it wasn't you would think they'd be a hell of a lot more natives still around

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hooplah posted:

it is. I listened to that right when it came out so I didn't really think about it much when listening to taibbi talk, but i think if you go back and listen after this chapo it'll inform the discussion nicely, and go a long way to illustrating how a lot of what taibbi is saying is either in bad faith or is primarily concerned with his own public persona

I think this is entirely about his own public persona.

I can't help but think if Chapo Matt was here he might have gotten sombe pushback on the absurd notion that America wasn't racist from the beginning

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

That and he seems to be very firmly for getting out and doing something, don't try to form perfect politics online and end up with paralysis through analysis.

Yeah the one thing that's been good for quarantine Matt came around to realizing you need theory and practice and that Twitter is just that button that stimulates the pleasure center of a mouse's brain until they starve to death.

Where as Taibbi as American media personality builds his entire "brand" on Twitter. So he's rotted his brain away. Like I remember ît was I think in the Failing New York Times thread awhile back someone had a tweet calling into question if someone was s journalist because they had an under utilized Twitter. It's madness.

Amber I think just does start from a older of thinking of let's Judy do the USSR again and tweak it till works. Which I think there might have broadly been good points made during the discussion, but the second you zoomed in a little ît falls apart. Like Taibbi saying he was uncomfortable with the idea that America has always been racist, or Amber ignoring the whole thing about systemic racism being is no matter how many POC you fill into it they still enact a racist system.

Will I don't know what the gently caress he was doing this episode like he contradicted himself from just about every episode they've done since the protests started (which I don't know how you don't laugh in Taibbi's face when he says the media is to scared to report the truth about violence they're committing). I think he's to hung up on the statues, which yes is partly performative, but I think continuing to show contempt for the symbols of our ruling order is probably a good thing. Like I carb get being mad about some of them, I've got a soft spot for Grant, guy was a total failson and a drinker if Goons can't relate to that I don't know what's what. But I also get why they pulled down that one statue. But I think debates about state pulling get on the way that the demand is still end of systemic racism

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Victory Position posted:

note: when I was going to J-school, it was more or less hammered into our heads to "get on social media and make a splash!"

other than the one class that was literally called "Ethics in Journalism" that contained the story on Ezra Klein, it was the funniest thing out of that whole waste of time

Jesus loving Christ

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

His latest series on the Pacific Theatre starts out OK but in the latest episode he really stumbles and gets caught up in US marine corp bravado. He also clearly doesn't have anyone on the staff that can speak Japanese or is even familiar with Japanese historians because he consistently uses Japanese accounts that have been discredited for 40 years now, either because they were written when the US military still heavily censored Japanese accounts or were written by Japanese officers trying to paint themselves in the best light(Fuchida in particular was an outright liar and yet he uses him extensively).

Dan Carlin sucks, he's a good story teller but a terrible historian, and he's bragged about how historians don't like him. I was really into the world war one series till her cited Naill Ferguson and I stopped listening

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'd pin that more on the first iraq war and even the shift in warhawk rhetoric in the us toward narcoterrorism in the 80s to justify our loving around in latin america

Much like everything Republicans do, they tested the waters on humanitarian war, and Democrats adopted it and codified it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

Interesting! I've never heard him brag about that but he certainly hits the "I'm not a historian" line about 60x per an episode. I didn't get that far into the WWI series either for about the same reasons, and IMO A World Undone is a much better succinct WWI summary with a fantastic narrator. The first half of the first episode sounded like he had just skimmed that book and Guns of August and added some impromptu Hitler quotes here and there.

Yeah I dived into The Guns of August shortly after, he should have just done the audio book version of it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

Matt peaked when he got alcohol poisoning on the mid-term election stream

That was amazing.

The final Blowback bonus episode dropped today that was really good, an interview with Naomi Kline.

The movie episode with Matt was really good as well. I didn't realize Green Zone was the movie version of Imperial Life in the Emerald City, (god I remember I got that book because I saw the author do an interview on the Daily Show) really needs to be made a movie by Iannucci

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Chapo I think had a better take on cancel culture this week than that garbage with Taibbi

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Retromancer posted:

Matt literally just did a podcast dunking on the Hurt Locker like a week ago.

Which podcast was this? Or are yui referring to the Blowback movie bonus episode? Cause if there's more Matt dunking in it I'd like to listen cause I really loving hated that movie

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some thoughts about today's episode. It's foolish to think that the Bolivia's Coup government ever had a job to make new "fair" elections

And two I think Felix has a good point about 2007/8 being the end of "Old America" but I'm not sure how much of that is his own nostalgia to be in his teens to early 20s again l

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Phone posted:

it was just taking the usurpers at their word: they said that they only did the coup to have another election, and they can't even do that. it's just tracing the facade and pointing out that the internal logic isn't even being met.

Yeah but when has a South American coup ever lived up to the logic given for the coup and wasnt a blatant grab by reactionaries, though I don't get why the constant delays for the election when they could just rig the vote

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

lots of sad low-energy folks trying to hitch onto the rising stars of podcasting

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1290535932492488704

note the dates

You know outside of people thinking a celebrity who died yesrs ago died again I really don't see the point im harping about how old an article is

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

JustaDamnFool posted:

It can be worthwhile to reiterate on this stuff to remind less jaded people.

True, I did not consider that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

If the 2008 election was the end of Old America, there was a years-long process of reality unwinding into fever dream logic that we called the Bush administration.

I'd agree with that as well

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Not a fan of Amber's weird take about how the Israelis brutalize the Palestinians because the Palestinians are weak, not because the Palestinians are an existential threat.

I'm down for criticizing anarchists, but her analysis of Portland was trash and led to that weird comparison.

Also, Derek Davison is still too close to the Blob to be able to speak plainly about stuff like Latin America coups. If he says something too anti-imperialist a gelatinous organism will hunt him down and absorb him.

I don't know her point made sense to me I that if they could reliably be stopped they wouldn't treat them the way they, it's why they spent the Cold War doing everything they can to make resistence impossible, with three crushing of the Second infantata I thunk you could see they assume the West Bank is secured and weakened enough to be cowed by Israeli oppression. In the sane way we think we can bomb an Iranian general because we think they vanity really touch us. But I could be wrong in setting it that way. Killer federal Agents wouldn't disappear activists on the street if they knew they'd be fought back against seriously. The idea, as I view it is the security services are bullies and like all bullies they go after people they feel can't fight back.

Ahh that makes more sense about Davison at least cause I thought that was pretty naive for him to say

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

God I can't imagine how bad Abe Lincoln's Tophat is, especially if the members of its Facebook group is any indication

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ben Kissel ran for Congress on a platform of reducing government waste lol

He loving loved stressing his Poli-Sci degree which just proves hope loving useless those are

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I have friends who are of were NYC artists and writers and they're well meaning, but always politically the dumbest loving people. I literally don't care about them are millions of working people in this city. I hate treating it like it's a city of only the wealthy, dilettantes, artists and podcasters.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

Ahahaha, that episode of CS starts off strong but by the end Dan really outdoes himself and compares BLM to the Nazis.

What?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Have any of Matt or Virgil's election predictions come true?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh yeah Virgil got that right

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Judakel posted:

He has gotten astoundingly bad at predicting the future when he divorces his predictions from nihilism.

I don't know, Biden winning because of affluent suburbs seems pretty nihilistic to me. None of this election makes sense from Bidens poll numbers to the campaign events in states he doesn't even have a ground operation in

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

im no politics pro but i dont get how neither side of the coin is pushing hard for UBI in any form, it seems a good cheat like healthcare

Because the point is to finally get people to accept that no one is going to help them and to stop expecting things that make donors mad, just vote

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think Knives Out is more about a working class person beating out a bunch of rich assholes by not playing the game they want and not that racism will be defeated by making POC rich

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Has The Loser's been the only comic book movie that has the CIA being the bad guy (even if it's portrayed as him going off the reservation, Dark Knight Rises doesn't count cause it's the villian that owns the CIA)?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I hate Beltway Garage episodes of Chapo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

People being confused about a Marxist reading of horror seems like people being confused at a feminist reading of horror movies. People critique media, all types of media from tons of different political lenses

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Im glad to say I went into the booth and didn't vote for a single Dem, feels good even if my write votes count for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think the point again it's the culture of college education that PMCs have adopted versus those of us that went to state schools and now toil away in minimum wage jobs.