Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's a good and funny podcast to listen to that is similar to chapo? I have a 30-40 drive to and from work each day and there aren't enough episodes of Chapo and Citations Needed each week to occupy all this time. Struggle Session is alright but not as funny as chapo. I've considered old episodes of chapo, but a "commentary on recent events" show like that doesn't work as well when you're listening to people discuss the latest news and tweets and poo poo from 18 months ago or whatever.

Larry Parrish posted:

Lmfao the new trillbillies has a guest who got some good ol' boy stories. It's awesome. Also they talk about how weird it is when people are like 'wow a southern person who isnt racist!'. I got an oakie rear end accent and I'm a redneck so once and a while I get the 'oh my god a hillbilly communist, incredible'. gently caress flatlanders

One of the stranger experiences I've had was when I went to college in NYC and people constantly commented on my "southern accent." I was not aware of even having a southern accent (I grew up in Memphis TN), and I think I lost it at some point during college because no one (including new people) commented on it after freshman year. I remember being extremely surprised to learn that "cuss" is apparently not a universal word (and somehow I did not realize it was slang for "curse"). I remember this girl thinking it was the funniest thing ever when I said "cuss."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

some of the old chapos aren't so current-events-focused, like the movie eps and some of the interviews, if you want to check some of those out. also interesting imo to listen back to things like the rnc and dnc eps

otherwise i suggest trillbillies or maybe the bruenigs or true anon

Ah, the movie episodes (and similar things) as a good idea. The RNC/DNC ones might also be interesting; the semi-recent CPAC episode was great.

I actually do listen to some True Anon, though I need to catch up. Haven't listened to Trillbillies so I'll check that out.

Ace of Baes posted:

some good old chapos off the top of my head
No Future
We live in the Zone
Airport protests one from Muslim ban
Post Charlottesville Episode
Every episode with Derek Davidson
Pretty much every movie review episode
The Tabletop Episodes (even better if you listen to them all over the course of a few days or a week)
The first episode which was a crossover with street fight where they watched 12 hours
The Noid

I just finished listening to the bolded last week. Those were pretty great, though Felix (and Virgil for the actual GMing) was responsible for 90% of the good stuff. Was that Virgil doing stuff like the Musk and Jordan Peterson voices? Because those were hilarious and completely spot-on.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Sep 30, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i say swears online posted:

It's very good and I never listened to o&a

I distinctly remember Opie and Anthony being big on the forums at some nebulous point in the 14 years I've been on this website. It had its own thread, I think in GBS back when GBS was the main subforum that most people seemed to post in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

It's an overall funny show, but Brace Belden is not as funny as he thinks he is and Liz usually gets drowned out. The post Epdeath episodes kind of flounder like they are wading through a sea of hot-takes failing to find their own unique comedic framing.

Brace is very much a "class clown" type guy, in both good and bad ways (though completely honestly probably more bad than good). He very obvious has kinda poor impulse control and will let various bad (or kinda offensive) jokes slip through. I find myself cringing (and I'm pretty sure Liz is usually cringing at the same times, but she'll immediately react and try to reign him in when he obviously went too far with something) a handful of times each episode I've listened to (which is about 5 or 6 now).

The kind of sad thing about it is that he can be pretty funny, but would really benefit from writing some sort of clearer outline for the episodes and just generally having better impulse control.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The recommendation to listen to early chapo was a good one. I didn't know that they had gone on Street Fight podcast before making their own, and that Street Fight even existed before Chapo. What did they even do before the podcast? The awkward pauses in the first episode were kinda funny.

I'm pretty convinced now that Felix is by far the most talented Chapo in terms of general ability to be funny and entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So listening to these early Chapo episodes I'm pretty sure that Will is actually not joking about being worried about the cartels as the show gained in popularity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

He was just saying that its OK to ally with the working class, but you need to be honest about yourself, and that your own class interests are different, even if its slight. Speaking as an actual working class person from a crumbling lumber town, we always have liberals presenting themselves as an aw shucks style country boy but they're always like, old money Stanford graduates. I cant speak for everyone but I'm always very suspicious the second someone says they're working class and isnt obviously poor. My first instinct is that they're trying to grift me.

I think that part of the reason the PMC has been so frequently mentioned is that there's a large set of millennials who were born into middle class families and have (or have had) some direct social contact with people more fortunate, but who are stuck in low-paying jobs due to the state of our economy. So they have a pretty clear view into how these other people manage to get ahead and how their life experience affects their politics/values (social media makes this even easier, since you see all your acquaintances posting their opinions about these things).

i sometimes wonder if there's a discussion to be had here but imo class lines break down just about how you'd fuckin' imagine. i was raised in the austin burbs, son of a paralegal and secretary. i could have easily bootstrapped myself toward an, iunno, software sales career, but i was drowning in manila folders in my childhood. my friends whose parents worked for IBM or equivalent companies went straight into IT and i'm friends with more than one self-described "power couple" who make more than a mil a year. i just quit a pizza store because it was giving me carpel tunnel. i have an MBA, earned while trying to dig myself out of this bad-job trap and it didn't work. i have no idea how to break into a $40k/year job, or salary itself for that matter. was i shut out of the professional-managerial class before undergrad? did i gently caress up my path? or are things just really drat fluid in the $40k-$200k range of potential jobs? the bulk of my day is thinking about food costs and how i want to throw myself in front of a truck; i know i could watch SQL tutorials on youtube to "better" myself, but i'm so defeated and unable to think about tomorrow

Without nepotism, you really have to get into that sort of "career environment" early (this is partly why the economy someone graduates into has a strong impact on their earnings for their entire life). People always talk about the "you need job experience to get job experience" paradox, and that's basically true (unless, again, you have nepotism to help). And for the more traditionally "elite" job sectors, I think it's virtually unheard of to not start your career directly out of college.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The current cap run

Are there any write-ups about this from a left-wing perspective?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Who the gently caress is reading comics still, besides nerds like yall they read every single one that comes out

I read the Spider-man comics as a child, and I remember the plot at the time involved Spider-man, Spider-man's angsty clone, and I think also Spider-man's evil clone.

Back then comics were something I'd pick up for like $3 when going with my parents to the grocery store. I wonder when specifically they transitioned into a specific nerd-only thing that could only be purchased in specialty nerd shops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

i think its good that the hosts that don't want to go on don't, because i'm p sure it'd just make the episodes worse if felix was forced to be there or amber was, etc. Id add virgil to the list of people who clearly want to keep "doing it" as his election stuff is really funny.

Yeah but it's a shame about Felix because he's the only chapo who makes me actually laugh out loud (instead of just thinking "haha that is entertaining"). I get the impression that Felix isn't as interested in politics or something, since now that I think about it most of his funny jokes don't have anything to do with politics (or are just about making fun of personalities involved with politics).

Shipon posted:

i like murderbryan's posts and appearances on other shows but i can't imagine his podcast being that entertaining itself

the shocktober stuff has been real good. the leykis one hit real hard bc when i was like 18-20 i listened to his show all the time when i drove around for work and i don't know how i avoided internalizing the horrible poo poo he said

I've been enjoying the Shocktober stuff, but one thing it kind of highlighted is that Chapo is actually relatively good at not going off on tangents and keeping to a clear outline for episodes (mostly thanks to Will, who seems to pay attention to that - I've been listening to it from the beginning, now on episode 8, and Will seemed to decide to keep things a lot more disciplined from like episode 2 or 3). The Shocktober stuff (that's Bryan and Felix right?) feels less focused. Subjectively speaking if I listen to it while resting my eyes after coming home from work, I start falling asleep, while I don't do the same with Chapo.

I never listened to any shock jocks myself, though I did listen to Glenn Beck and Limbaugh/Hannity (more the former than the latter two - Limbaugh/Hannity are both pretty boring) during this phase where I found hate-listening to conservatives entertaining. My conclusion from this was that Glenn Beck is actually fairly talented as a radio person and was pretty different from your more typical conservative talk radio. He would also come up with artisan insane takes, instead of the lovely wal-mart quality takes you'd hear from the likes of Limbaugh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dreddout posted:

Matt Karp sucks tho

What's wrong with him, he seemed okay on Chapo today (that was him, right?).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The follow-up about the Gray Zone publishing an expose on Ricardo Haussman; this seems like a pretty clear case of political retaliation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Former DILF posted:

she's the one who got away, and if she's appearing on Chapo today I need to know

In my experience when men refer to a woman as "the one who got away" they're usually trying to dramatize "was weird/inappropriate to a woman I was crushing on" in a way that lets them continue to maintain the illusion that a romance was ever possible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I had a course freshman year of college on Japanese culture but it was taught by this Japanese guy who specialized in Japanese animation so it was actually about anime. In that course I learned that basically all anime is about the atomic bomb, including Evangelion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Victory Position posted:

that sure is one annoying orange!

That poo poo still exists and has a podcast? What the gently caress. How does it even work as a podcast?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Listening to other podcasts has made it very obvious why Chapo became so popular. Will is mostly responsible for this (he has a talent for keeping things organized and scheduled while keeping a more informal tone that disguises this; once you look for it, it becomes very obvious how he always cuts tangents off before they become too long), but Felix is also unusually funny, at least to me, and Matt sorta balances it out as this sort of "everyman."

Usually podcasts that don't involve a clear huge amount of preparation and organization (like Citations Needed, which is limited in its frequency of content by it's high quality) end up sort of rambling. Struggle Session has this problem. Leslie Lee III is cool and a great poster, but not as entertaining in a podcast format.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have to wonder how much of it too is Brendan and later Chris being really good at editing out dumb tangents

I've been listening to Chapo from the beginning recently (up to episode 23 or 24 now) and they were always good about this, so I attribute it mostly to Will.

Gripweed posted:

It's crazy to think about how much it's changed since the start. Will got fat...

That's it that's the only change.

This is one thing I've noticed; when I started listening to these early episodes I was expecting some big difference, but after literally the first one or two episodes it started to basically sound almost the same as the later episodes. The main things I've noticed is that they seemed to do a LOT more cold opens originally and they directly referenced twitter stuff more often.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Nov 20, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is some extremely bougie Brooklyn poo poo

the treatlads' attendance is not disqualifying, merely funny

This reminds of this nerd party I went to in Brooklyn in college where almost everyone, girls included, went topless (and some went bottomless). The people there were mostly what I'd describe as "slutty nerds" (which is a distinct nerd subgroup and people who have known such people will probably know what I'm talking about). I spoke with the guy who went on to make the cartoon Steven Universe there and still have him as a facebook friend as a result.

That party was like sorta-bougie? The apartment it was in was in a pretty un-gentrified looking area and part of the reason people went topless was that there was no A/C and it was summer. But I also got the impression a significant portion of people there were children from wealthy families. It seems like the children of the wealthy come in two varieties - Buttigieg-like game players and total weirdos who are rebelling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think some PMC liberals might support Bernie to some extent, but (as the essay mentions) that doesn't make them reliable in any way. I feel like anyone who didn't "convert" after 2016 is likely a fair-weather friend at best, barring any significant events in their personal lives that change their perspective (like falling out of the PMC or otherwise have difficult experiences).

Crowsbeak posted:

Hope they discuss Ambers article in the next Chapo along with all the liberals that she caused to have Twitter meltdowns.

Where are these twitter meltdowns? I enjoy seeing this sort of thing.

I've come around to liking Amber despite her probably being the least fun to listen to chapo person. Her and Matt feel like they're the most genuine in their politics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

T-man posted:

amber has big white feminism/TERF vibes that could be usefully checked, and her position is always going to be from the disconnected rich kid culture of Neh Yark. She's also really on board with Angela "Nazis are just friends I hadn't met yet" Nagle. And the scourge arid hellscape of terribleness that is red scare.

I don't know if I'd call it a white feminism thing so much as her sorta drifting into an overly contrarian perspective in response to "woke liberal" types, but I can't really think of any concrete downsides to this (in that I don't see that sort of attitude actually translating to any sort of actual right-wing opinions on social issues).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prince Myshkin posted:

Again, PMC is a cultural category above all else. Which is why it isn't useful. Funny that the people who seem to understand liberals' obsession with culture is a way to ignore class politics buy into a vaguely leftist version of that exact thing.

I think there's some use to the idea of "a class of people who aren't the owners of capital and don't directly exploit labor themselves, but do well enough to have an incentive to protect the status quo." The cultural aspects are likely mostly a result of that, though the end result is that these people have direct control over media/culture in a way that helps maintain control over the rest of labor.

I don't know if the term "petit bourgeois" is really an accurate descriptor for the top 10-20% who work in well compensated "knowledge economy" or managerial jobs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Matt is cool and probably the chapo who I have the most faith in being a good person IRL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just to clarify, if you're counting people who calculate their income by how much an hour of their workday pays them, or are using the term "salary" then you're discussing people at the very lowest rungs of that top 20%, at best

these "buffer" class traitors are way poorer than you realize. think "general manager at the frozen yogurt place down the street"

? "Salary" definitely fits a lot of the top 10-20% (since even once you're talking about people with large bonuses or stock options, they still derive a significant portion, if not most, of their money from their salary), though you're correct about hourly workers (which are mutually exclusive with salaried workers and I'm not sure why you're grouping the two together).

I'm thinking of the sort of careers that usually require some sort of advanced education or credentials and pay in the range of at least high 5-figures (and mostly 6-figures). So people like lawyers, consultants, financial analysts, some engineers/tech workers, etc.

edit: Labor aristocracy is probably a better term that basically fits this concept, yeah. PMC can be useful as it fits the contemporary nature of these jobs and is easily understood, though. If I'm talking to someone and refer to the labor aristocracy they'll just be confused, while "professional-managerial class" easily evokes the idea of a certain kind of job.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Nov 24, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Often Abbreviated posted:

I'm responding to what's in the article - supervisors and administrators never come up. There's not a crack of light on managerial or organisational work at all. And acting like you can separate their political role from their material position is the exact sort of mistake I would trust Amber not to make.

As she admits herself in the article, the definition is somewhat vague and refers to a specific type of managerial/credentialed job that tends to share a culture and priorities that usually aren't compatible with the left. It's not the specific nature of the labor that is the problem, but the culture and society surrounding it (that results in most people in many of these careers coming from privilege, largely due to the requirement of certain credentials, etc).

As someone else mentioned, "labor aristocracy" is probably a better term for the same sort of thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

T-man posted:

Solution: have zero bullshit jobs like advertising or FIRE, make all the bullshit job havers into super part time garbage collectors. Sure, you'll be a garbage hauler with a PhD, but you'll only be one for like two hours a week. Replace garbage collecting with whatever unpleasant work (that can't be eliminated or automated) you can imagine.

The depressing thing about work is that simply cutting the amount of time in half would instantly make work go from "basically almost your entire life" to "something you just spend some time doing" (and that should be entirely possibly, since you could realistically probably go to even less than half). If people just had to work 4 hours a day, or 8 hours for ~2-3 days a week, people could completely change the way they live. And I'm pretty sure this would work for the vast majority of jobs, like retail/service jobs. There are some exceptions (like teachers) where you might need the same person working (what is now considered) full-time regularly, but you can just compensate them much better in exchange.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

here's an argument I had with a friend a few months ago: do social democratic reforms help give people both class consciousness and the free time to carry out actions leading to further liberation, or do they dull the revolutionary edge? My friend took the latter position using tons of good examples but he verged at times on accelerationism

I think social democratic reforms have to be accompanied by left-wing propaganda that makes people ideologically averse to right-wing ideas and explicitly pushes class consciousness as a "common sense" value. By themselves they will likely inevitably result in a right-wing shift a generation or two into the future, so you need institutions in place to ensure that right-wing/capitalist ideology is marginalized and left-wing ideology is reinforced.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should have gotten plastic surgery to make their faces look like Waluigi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Eliot Higgins already tried snitching on Katie Halper to Rolling Stone so you should expect the entire twitter "moderate rebel" crew to pile on too.

I can't get over how slimy this sort of thing is. Like how do those people not spend 90% of the day in a shower trying to wash the filth off*?

* but it won't come off, because it is on their soul

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Leslie on Struggle Session has some of the worst media opinions to the point where it crosses over into being funny just to hear how he'll spin things.

I haven't seen Rise of the Skywalker yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be lame just because JJ Abrams sucks rear end and is basically the epitome of everything that is cliche about contemporary nerd media.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

all Poe really had to do was cool dog fights as a supporting character. he didn’t have to be a central cast member. he could’ve been like Luke’s friend from the original movies who was an C-wing ace.

Who the gently caress are you talking about; I don't remember Wedge using a C-wing?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Amber, I originally disliked her and have come around to thinking she's mostly good but suffers from (as others mentioned) a romanticized view of "the rural/post-industrial working class." Her view of city people is likely colored by the fact that her own circles are frankly pretty bougie. Matt actually strikes me as the most down-to-Earth Chapo in terms of not being influenced by making a bunch of money and living in Brooklyn. Will gives me the impression of someone who has kinda never been outside of pretty privileged circles.

Sorta related to this, but what's up with their weird aversion to going to the South? Do they not realize that major Southern cities, while not comparable with major Northern/Western ones, are still a hell of a lot nicer than, say, Des Moines? A lot of people who live in places like NYC seem to have some very strange ideas about what the south is like, at least based off my experience going to college there where it seemed like all the native New Yorker kids thought the South was 100% rural farmland.

Fun fact: When I first started listening to Chapo before actually seeing what the Chapo boys looked like, I thought Felix was very fat and Will was skinny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

the fact that they won't do a show in New Orleans is deeply weird to me. come on people, you don't have that much more time to visit the place before it is utterly destroyed by climate change.

I mean, the south in general though is basically just...normal if you stick to the urban areas (and honestly even the rural ones aren't much shittier than rural areas in any other state). Like Memphis or Nashville are basically fine and not any better or worse than any cities in the North/West that aren't the super major ones like NYC, Boston, etc.

It's just kinda weird because when Will mentions it he always does it like it's just some goofy thing, but...it's actually genuinely kinda weird? Like if there's a city you specifically don't like, that's fine, but it comes off like an almost comically "out of touch New Yorker" thing which is kind of ironic given the extent to which the show clowns on those kind of people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

amber is from Indiana and Matt is from Cincinnati and Felix is from Chicago, the majority of the pod is Midwestern in origin

Matt lived long enough outside of NYC that he is free of the taint and Felix is a Cool Guy, but merely coming from a non-NYC place doesn't mean you don't end up becoming infected. If anything, the people who grew up in non-NYC places and moved to NYC as young adults can often end up even worse. If you grew up in some lame place in the south or mid-west and move to a place like NYC you can end up idolizing it.

Amber strikes me as basically having the correct read on NYC/urban professionals, but because she's too deep in it she loses sight of the fact that most people in urban areas aren't like that, and there are more demographics than just "urban PMC" and "poor rural/mid-western."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Watched the movie about the guy molesting his dad. That was a hell of a thing. Thinking of linking it to all my relatives accompanied by a crying emoji just to see what it prompts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Percelus posted:

michael moore isnt pure succ he seems to be a bernie guy and far more left of any major media figure

he has bad takes and is too nice to succ though

Michael Moore strikes me as someone who has naturally been heavily influenced and molded by being a part of mainstream Democratic/liberal discourse for many years (though he's always been on the left end of it), but who realizes this and is making some sort of genuine attempt to change with the times. His live thing with Chapo was interesting because he obviously didn't have a clear understanding of contemporary younger leftists but realized that it was a good thing and made an earnest attempt to "fit in" (rather than just reflexively lashing out like most older liberals do).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that annoyed me about the Safdie Chapo episode is that the Safdie brothers are apparently the kind of people who constantly talk about all the "characters" they meet, which has always come off as deeply condescending and obnoxious to me*. While "meeting a bunch of unique people" obviously isn't something limited to the famous/wealthy, something about that specific way of talking about it strikes me as deeply out of touch (though it would be something that the Chapo guys could relate to given their own relative fame and lifestyle).

edit: I also noticed that, to his credit, Matt had the least to contribute.

* While old people with dementia also do the "talking about the characters they've met" thing, that's a different situation

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 23, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm on episode 90 now of listening to Chapo from the beginning.

The Caleb episodes are some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard, particularly the second one.

hobbesmaster posted:

their position is that the campaign isn’t over yet

The biggest thing I was wrong about in this primary is that I thought "preoccupation with Trump" would cause boomers to have low turn-out in the primary.

But once you account for high boomer turn-out, the result is kind of obvious that the establishment pick will win as long as they managed to narrow it down to one fast enough. I was optimistic earlier largely because the establishment was loving things up for themselves and hadn't anointed anyone until after South Carolina.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Mar 13, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Matt was annoying as gently caress in the Episode III one especially. He made it almost unlistenable

Is Felix in that one, because I never find any of the Chapo media/pop culture commentary entertaining unless he's there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Matt Christman liked a tweet I made about summarily executing Robby Mook lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

amber's position about how most people are instinctively distrustful of the mainstream media was dumb as hell imo, glad matt pushed back

I think most people think they're distrustful of the media, but lack the media literacy to perceive the ways they're being influenced.

In my anecdotal experience, many liberals generally have a certain understanding of what "propaganda/bias" is that is centered around the sort of flashy/"un-serious" presentation you see in places like Fox News or tabloid newspapers. But they don't really understand that propaganda can also use a serious tone and include facts in it. For example, I consider my dad to be a sort of template of a certain subset of boomer liberals, and I'm pretty confident that a serious-sounding documentary could persuade him to believe just about anything.

Xaris posted:

i'm not even sure why that comparison is considered bad. tds isues (mostly bush to early obama era was the only time i watched it) was that yeah it was general daily mockery of media pundits and like lmao john ashcroft wants to cover up boobs on a statue, and this talking head said a dumb thing, insert smirking funny face. the thing is it never actually went anything deeper of actual people and societal issues, conveniently ignored all the idiot libs, and the only time it tried to do any advocation was ~rally to restore sanity~ garbage because it wanted to do ~we're a both-sides indenpedent centrism comedy show~

chapo generally does the same thing without any stupid pretense of trying to be ~independent both-sideism~, and more inclusive of the mocking the DC political elite westwing libs and goppers; lol david frum and matty ygglesia wrote a dumb thing; lol chris coons said seggregation is good; cnn is cutting off bernie. but also go out and canvass, phonebank, go primary pelosi, etc.

Yeah, "The Daily Show, except with good politics and actual funny jokes" would be fine

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I was thinking about what you said about how many American leftists come to class consciousness backwards, through idpol stuff, and it's like...maybe this isn't idpol, but it's really frustrating to me that "I won't vote for a rapist" is effective in shutting people down in a way that "I won't vote for a war criminal," "I won't vote for the architect of the carceral state," etc. is not.

Yes, while it's convenient in this specific election, it's concerning in the sense that it's very easy to imagine the Democrats running "Elizabeth Warren, except competent" and pulling in all of these people (plus a significant portion of people like the Warren supporters who switched to Bernie later in this primary after she did too many bad things*).

* this was actually better than I expected, though; I did not expect a non-trivial amount of Warren supporters to actually abandon her once she walked back MfA or made that false accusation against Bernie