Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What show/movie was Griffin referring to during the Memoirs of an Invisible Man episode where he said a star only had 2 hours of energy in a day and they had to shoot around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Amazon’s live action The Tick. Reference himself as Arthur.

Oh I thought maybe it was that but for some reason I thought he really liked being on that show

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Aw yeah, my two favorite pods coming together. :rock:

(How is this not the longest episode ever?)

Probably because Gourley had to leave early

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Really enjoyed the pre-shooting “where is he now?” discussion about Alec Baldwin. Anyway I’m with David on the movie in that it’s fun guilty pleasure.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Crimewave seems like the perfect movie for them

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’ve been listening to that Ghost Church podcast on spiritualism that they mentioned and I have no idea why she didn’t talk about that more during the séance scene discussion. Not terrible but probably not as good an episode as this movie deserves. “The character did an amoral thing so I lost all interest in this horror movie” is a particularly dull way to discuss something. I like those ladies fine but yeah, maybe a poor fit for this one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think people get too hung up on whether or not a character’s horror movie transgressions are deserving of the punishment they get inflicted with. This is a genre where if someone is rude in the first act we expect them to be dead by the time the credits roll. I don’t think her one selfish action deserves a literal eternity of torment, but it makes perfect moral sense in a horror movie. Trying to puzzle out if a fictional character “deserves it” seems like an odd way to watch a movie to me. It’s also weird to only being able to relate to a character if they completely match your morality and decision making.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Weird I thought I heard Griffin say they weren’t doing a Lenny episode and I was confused as to why they’d skip it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Thatoaklandkid posted:

I think they said they had considered doing a Lenny Bruce special on the patreon.

That makes a lot more sense. It seemed crazy to skip Lenny because it’s a big part of the plot of All That Jazz.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m no LMM fan but seeing as how he played Roy Scheider in Fosse/Verdon he makes a lot of sense.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

graventy posted:

I think that's the fault of the guest, really, in not getting their point across better. I like Drag Me to Hell quite a bit, but 2009 is pretty late to make a movie with an evil Gypsy as the main villain. It's a pretty big asterisk on what is otherwise a pretty fun gross flick.

I think the difference is that Klausner clearly had engaged with the movie and had strong opinions about it and the director and the guests on the Drag Me to Hell episode were basically dismissive of the whole thing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

well this is my other problem with the podcast along with the fact neither griffin nor david are as funny as they think they are and the generally tepid opinions held by anyone within or adjacent to the professional film criticism scene, which is the fun of movie discussion shows is passionate people arguing about things they like or don't like and neither of them have the backbone to actually do that. we've known as far back as siskel and ebert that vicarious fights about movies make for good entertainment and here the prevailing mood is "don't rock the boat."

I don’t know, I think we have plenty of other shows that take that approach. I prefer Blank Check’s style over the standard internet nerd hyperbole style where people pretend to have a strong opinion of Ant Man 5 or whatever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Next series is Danny Boyle which is going to be a wild ride: Some stone cold classics, some stone cold flops, best picture winner, Aaron Sorkin, some dude slicing his own arm off.

loving Sorkin lol, I forgot he wrote a Steve Jobs movie for Danny Boyle. I seriously have no idea how people willingly walked into theaters, watched that movie, then had the gall to try to tell people it was good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

This series is great news for all of us Sunshine defenders.

Sunshine is great.

checkplease posted:

Jobs was alright, but dialogue was so over the type, so Sorkin I guess. But it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. It always felt like it was meant to be a stage play to me.

It’s not that I need dialogue to be completely naturalistic, I just need characters to not all talk like smug stupid coked up rich assholes. Also I can’t stand that stock Sorkin interaction where the dumb character says something plainly idiotic and the smart geniusman character sassily corrects them by stating the obvious, usually by reciting a bunch of numbers or by writing an equation in dry-erase on a window for no reason, and then the dumb guy acts humiliated but thoroughly impressed with the geniusman’s wizardry. Even “good” Sorkin stuff like Social Network and Money Ball have this bullshit. That scene where someone writes an equation (the famous facebook equation??) on a dorm window is so loving hacky goddamn. I mean different strokes for different folks or whatever and god knows I like stupid crap too but his writing makes me so pissed off.

I hate Sorkin!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I adore his movies but Cronenberg might be the worst outcome. Tons of movies, all in English, with a lot of pretty similar themes.

You’re not wrong I guess but I want to hear them talk about goop so I want him to win

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They should do Lucio Fulci’s entire filmography

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Slumdog pod is up there with my favorite pods.

Great guest

Knowledgeable discussion.

Griffin not not being insufferable.

Good bits.

It’s crazy how badly the england bit has affected David. He cringes like an old shelter dog

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s a lot of good movie for sure.

I voted for Park because there’s more of his movies that I haven’t seen and I think the only Bong Joon-ho I haven’t seen is Okja and I don’t really want to watch it because it seems Old Yeller style sad

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm blinded by my love of her Candyman, but I also think she's a good guest.

I liked her Candyman a lot too and it’s annoying she got immediately sucked into doing some marvel movie

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
3 hours of Sorkin chat, good god.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Griffin revealing his watching Behind the Candelabra at least once a year was pretty funny.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Here’s my case of the contrarians: The Social Network loving sucks and the world would be better of if it was never made.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It makes the people responsible for facebook look like interesting, troubled and brilliant instead of stupid and boring. Also literally anything written by Sorkin drives me loving crazy. The story of facebook isn’t interesting, Zuckerberg isn’t interesting. Sorkin is a bad writer who’s characters all sound like coked up assholes because he’s a coked up rear end in a top hat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m sure they’re right about how Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a better looking film than the Swedish one (I can’t really remember what either one is like now because it’s been so long) but it’s still exactly the same story and it came out right after the original. I definitely remember feeling like I had wasted 2 hours after seeing the Fincher one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t know if I’d put all the blame on McTiernan, it sounded like it there was a lot of bad decisions coming from Arnold and Sony. Including hiring McTiernan himself.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Looking forward to seeing how they deal with Inland Empire

edit: It’s just going to be a bunch more talk about early digital video resolution isn’t it

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 1, 2024

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Am I misremembering this or did David say something about not wanting to do a De Palma series?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just to get it out of the way :

The 13th Warrior loving rules (in a dumb action movie way).

The boys are going to be wrong about this.

You're probably wrong about this.

I will be taking no questions.

:agreed:

edit: I also think they’re slightly wrong about the remake being the better Thomas Crown Affair. I watched them both for the first time last month and I gotta give a slight edge to the original. I think both are fun but I just prefer looking at Dunaway and McQueen over Russo and Brosnan.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 11, 2024

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Antonio Bandaras carves a sword from a bigger sword in it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Griffin pulling the name of the Namibian baby from Babies

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Eraserhead has a plot, it’s just a strange one. I think stuff like Mulholland Drive might be harder to summarize for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Are we getting a special episode about Rabbits? Please tell me we're getting a special episode about Rabbits.

I’m guessing they will probably talk about it during the Inland Empire episode