Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

graventy posted:

The "problem with the Duvall thing". lol

I think Kubrick's entire style of filming everything 100 times is incredibly abusive and disrespectful, and it feels like it was particularly abusive towards her. Let actors loving act! *I'm* not saying it ruined her career, I'm saying that no one should be treated that way, and she is a particularly egregious example of his abuse.

Trauma fades over time, so I'm sure if I had gone through that, after 40 years I could look back and forgive. It just ruins a movie experience for me to know that I'm seeing actual abuse on screen, and I think it sucks that a number of our most 'brilliant' directors get a complete pass for being awful to people because the product is good.

Does Kubrick really get a complete pass? A pass, sure, but it’s rare to find anyone examining his legacy without addressing his treatment of actors in a negative context. It’s very much something he is well known for.

A lot of the conversation around Duvall in an attempt to condemn Kubrick, totally infantilizes her. Stephen King went on a campaign saying gross stuff like “she is basically just there to scream and be stupid”, completely glossing over the fact that she gives IMO, one of the greatest performances in horror history. If anyone is uncomfortable with the film because of its production, don’t watch it. But it’s important that we recognize her performance as her own work and we respect her own words when she speaks on her relationship with Kubrick. The same goes for a lot of well-established actors who desperately wanted to work with Kubrick well after his reputation was widely known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Sunshine is great.

It’s not that I need dialogue to be completely naturalistic, I just need characters to not all talk like smug stupid coked up rich assholes. Also I can’t stand that stock Sorkin interaction where the dumb character says something plainly idiotic and the smart geniusman character sassily corrects them by stating the obvious, usually by reciting a bunch of numbers or by writing an equation in dry-erase on a window for no reason, and then the dumb guy acts humiliated but thoroughly impressed with the geniusman’s wizardry. Even “good” Sorkin stuff like Social Network and Money Ball have this bullshit. That scene where someone writes an equation (the famous facebook equation??) on a dorm window is so loving hacky goddamn. I mean different strokes for different folks or whatever and god knows I like stupid crap too but his writing makes me so pissed off.

I hate Sorkin!

When I’m feeling masochistic I watch clips of “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” and cackle maniacally like I’m Sam Neill in “In The Mouth of Madness”

https://youtu.be/UZoJQhkQedU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Yeah, this is true for me as well but also I loving love Abbas Kiarostami and just wanna hear smart people talk about him and honestly that is kind of weirdly hard to find.

I think FilmSpotting did a Kiarostami marathon if you haven’t already heard it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Thank you for this. Filmspotting has never been my favorite but I end up dipping into their stuff for things like this every once and a while and it is better then nothing.

Yeah it can be a very dry, public radio sorta vibe but I feel like they a really do a fine job breaking down filmmakers with their marathons

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Del Toro and Jackson are gonna be favorites (and I’d be thrilled with either) but I feel like that might work against them.

My dark horse favorites are Park Chan-Wook and Stephen Chow. Chow would be so much fun.

Edit:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 1, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chow is currently beating Truffaut and I am all here for it. God I don’t want a 21 film Truffaut series. Hard to see Chow winning the whole thing but it would rule.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 10, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Siddhant Adlakha joins the pantheon of guests with very soothing, broadcast voices. He will be up there with Adam Kempenaar, Jamie Loftus, John Hodgeman, and Chris Weitz.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol this is hilariously close, they should just do both

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I...haven't voted yet. (I voted in brackets I knew, and I voted in Patreon brackets, but not this one, since I don't know the directors.) The only movie I've seen from either is Snowpiercer, which I really enjoyed. But, uh, sell me on who to vote for, since apparently one vote matters?

Park Chan Wook, Vengeance trilogy slaps and is weird as hell. Real dang freak stuff.

Honestly both are really great, Bong would have some very interesting career context as an Oscar winner. Both have made many fantastic, fascinating films.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:laffo:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked her Candyman a lot too and it’s annoying she got immediately sucked into doing some marvel movie

the life cycle of all great new directors

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The accent bit was dumb but I did get a good laugh when he asked David “what road” in Britain he’s from.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Im surprised, my experience with Keaton is basically nada but I really enjoyed listening to the extensive context on those episodes. Pretty fascinating time in general.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

now that scott hasn't seen has gotten into its groove and sean clements is doing a movie podcast with actual screenwriters there's basically no reason to use blank check for anything except a watchlist or to deepen an already existing parasocial relationship

it has been a zero-insight zone for a long time

every one of your posts ITT is about how much you don’t like the podcast, nobody is making you listen

but really, it’s a comedy podcast and some ppl find it funny that’s literally the reason

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 9, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Fincher's got a real rubberband of a career. Gets his ticket with the sublime Seven, follows it up with The Game a film that is fun but hardly great, then comes out with Fight Club one of the best films from a year of absolute bangers, down again with Panic Room a perfectly okay film, Then Zodiac a film that got snubbed for zero reason and is perhaps his best film, he swings back with Benjamin Button one of the most awful award chasing piles of poo poo I've ever seen, then finally breaks the pattern with Social Network which is good although I find some of the praise unearned. Then it's pretty smooth sailing for him until Mank which despite the protestations of some insane Mankophiles is a movie that simply does not exist.

I wouldn’t say it’s really an up and down career, he is pretty remarkably steady. I haven’t seen Benjamin Button and I would prolly hate it but otherwise he has no bad, or very weird films like a lot of blank check guys. I like the directors with wild up and down swings but Fincher is going to be interesting regardless.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

There has never been a nic cage movie on the main feed?? How is that possible.

Yeah it’s pretty incredible. I guess them holding off on Michael Bay has helped keep Cage off the feed.

Other possible directors that would bring more Cage- Scorsese, De Palma, Schumacher, Herzog, Ridley Scott, Mario Van Peebles

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 2, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:doh:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Snake Eyes is such an underrated flick

De Palma is an insane highs and lows filmography

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Inkspot posted:

Thank you for agreeing to be a guest on [BLANK CHECK].

Have you seen AMERICAN PIE (1999)? Y/N

American Pie series derails gotta be in the double digits at this point

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Eraserhead... what a loving picture.

I don't know how the pod will be because it hasn't much plot and is mostly thematic and textual which probably isn't the best friend's wheelhouse but what a great movie.

I mean it’s got a helluva making-of story

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Would Lynch’s Crash be weirder? Hornier? The world will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Also I don't know much about Lynch what is his Blank Check movie? Did any of his films make lots of money?

Edit: lmao wait was Elephant Man a big........ hit? And then Dune the Blank Check?

Yes, Elephant Man was massive. 8 Oscar noms and Lynch gets offered Return of the Jedi lol

Edit: also Twin Peaks season 1 was quite the phenomenon at the time

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 25, 2024