Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If Jobs is a good Sorkin thing I'd be interested cuz it'd be the only good Sorkin related thing I ever encountered
West Wing is torture and that Chicago 7 movie was hot garbage

I hate everything else he's done, but I'll always go to the mat for Sport's Night. It's clearly dated, because that's how time works, but the Sorkinisms are much, much more muted so it comes off as just quirky instead of obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

algebra testes posted:

Trainspotting loving rules my god.

Onto whatever hosed up little film is next and after that The Beach!

Re sorkin: I love Social Network and liked Jobs but every critisim in this thread is valid. I have been rewatching The Newsroom and holy gently caress it's bad lmao.

The book is good too fyi.

Just don’t be like my dumb rear end reading an entire book in phonetic Edinburgh-dialect, figuring out everything via context clues… and then finding the glossary in the back right behind the last page.

It’s been 20 years and I’m still absolutely livid with how dumb I am.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Have they released the full bracket anywhere? I quick skim of the website, twitter and reddit didn't find anything, but I'm famously blond and dumb.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I would love a Leone series. So much context, and would lay the necessary groundwork for an eventual Clint Eastwood series.

But also.... Peter Weir. Oceans are now battlefields.

On the one hand, I would loving love a Peter Weir series. (A Weiries, if you will.)

However this is also one of the few times we have a shot at getting a director whose works aren't all primarily in English.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So we're gonna vote as a block just for Lars von Trier, right? Not because we want to, but just to make them have to spend multiple hours of their lives talking about Manderley and Dogville.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

checkplease posted:

Sadly Lars is up against Kon who is one of my favorites. I like Jackson and Del toro, just they feel like example blank check directors as they had big Hollywood films and got to make their passion projects. So I would assume they would be covered naturally though its been like 7 years now.

O god, I wouldn't want to actually listen to a couple hours of them talking about super hosed up sex and racism stuff. Even in the space of a joke I wasn't meaning to imply that.

In terms of serious voting strategy, I'm campaigning hard for the intersection between "film-makers who never worked in English" and "film-makers who they're unlikely to ever consider again". Like I loving love Bong Joon-Ho, been a fan since The Host, but they've made noises in the past about covering him so he's gonna lose my vote if it comes to it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Yeah, this is true for me as well but also I loving love Abbas Kiarostami and just wanna hear smart people talk about him and honestly that is kind of weirdly hard to find.

Hey, I'd vote for that.

It's not gonna be my top vote, but that has nothing to do with film quality and everything to do with his filmography being very long and about half documentaries.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

You’re not wrong I guess but I want to hear them talk about goop so I want him to win

I think Cronenberg could be a good series, but making it the international pick would be pretty messed up.

The entire globe and all the worlds cultures are available, if they go with another older white dude but this time from the other big mostly English-speaking country in North America... it's just not cool.

Now if you wanted to make them do an entire separate parallel podcast but they only cover horror movies, that I'll get behind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

They should do Lucio Fulci’s entire filmography

Yes.

And Ben has a squishy-gross sound effects for whenever they talk about eyes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well so much for Weir getting knocked out early, I guess.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm actually still a little annoyed about how their Evil Dead II episode barely talked about Evil Dead II.

It was a good episode and I love Hodgman*, but I got it instead of actually talking about one of my favorite movies.

*I own multiple of his books. One of them is signed for gently caress's sake.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm the weirdo who'll say he doesn't really like it.

...while admitting that it's perfectly executed and all of my critiques are based on personal preference. (It falls into a weird gap in between my tastes so it doesn't satisfy me very much, even if I fully acknowledge that it's very well crafted.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Both have the same problem for me where they want all the introspection and thoughtfulness of some of the harder sci-fis but they chose to wrap it in very soft sci-fi packaging. So you’re asking me to pay a lot of attention to some parts of your premise, but if I apply that to other parts the gossamer-thin science falls apart.

Instead of being like a chocolate covered pretzel it winds up being more like a hershey’s kiss filled with cheez whiz : I think they’d both be much stronger if the parts weren’t at war with each other.

(For the record, soft sci-fi is cool and good. It’s just not working here is my contention.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fair, and hence why I’m being careful to say it’s a me thing and not some kind of artistic universal.

Even if it’s just The Core in space.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s crazy how badly the england bit has effected David. He cringes like an old shelter dog

He does it on other podcasts too, where he should nominally be "safe".

It's a very weird mix of sad/funny/insane.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I just want to hear Ben talk about Hellboy for 4 hours.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

That too. Hellboy 2 is full of dang rear end freaks

Devil's Backbone is the rare film that's both wet and dry.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

At this point, I'm pretty dang fine with whoever wins and think it'll be a good miniseries regardless.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hyped about the Park win. I’m happy with any of the remaining directors but I voted for Wong today since I’ve seen fewer of his films than Bong and the podcast is one of my main ways of filling in blind spots.

I think it's gonna be Park Chan Wook vs. Bong Joon Ho tomorrow. And it's hilarious that from across the bracket, the two South Korean directors are the finalists.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bong up by 9~~!

C'mon, everyone vote for Bong!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poly and open-minded posted:

Griffin apparently hates Oldboy so now I am super happy no matter who wins (please vote Bong)

I mean, Griffin is a gentle boy and Oldboy is a lot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Por que no los dos?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm blinded by my love of her Candyman, but I also think she's a good guest.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked her Candyman a lot too and it’s annoying she got immediately sucked into doing some marvel movie

Yeah, I don't think Disney is gonna let her do cool interstitial shadow puppets in The Marvels.

Because they're dumb like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just caught up with the Moana episode and had a hearty lol when they said nothing would top the Oscars moment when La La Land and Moonlight got mixed up. If only they knew

But did consider the coconut.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

David screaming about the timeline fuckery was more interesting than just about anything in the actual movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poly and open-minded posted:

Was glad the Urbaniak ep was so good because I found the first Keaton ep to be kind of a slog.

I was watching Sherlock Jr and my wife walked in and asked "Does this actually make you happy?" which I thought was a pretty funny way to ask that.

I need to check that out because I love Urbaniak.

I just... I like Buster Keaton. I like listening to the boys talk about movies. But for whatever reason I do not give a poo poo about the boys talking about Buster Keaton.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you have the secret to defeating my apathy, I’m all ears. It’s not like it’s a well-reasoned preference.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Not to be rude to JJ, but does anyone else feel like the show has become a little less engaging since they started doing the dossiers?

God no. I like that they have actual facts instead of half-remembered gossip.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m so glad I wasn’t driving when I heard how Griffin pronounces Takashi Miike’s name.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He’s great in Michael Clayton

Three Kings? Good Night and Good Luck? Syriana? Ides of March?

And, y'know, all the stuff he did with the Coens. O Brother Where Art Thou? is a god drat masterpiece.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Clooney has a good supporting role in Good Night. Moderately thankless, but he does a good enough job I remember it years later after only seeing the movie once.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Who on earth watches the Oceans movies for the cast. Like they’re fine, but they’re not the main draw.

I watch them because movies about confidence heists rule and there are nowhere near enough of them.

If you need me, I’ll be rewatching The Sting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Fincher's got a real rubberband of a career. Gets his ticket with the sublime Seven, follows it up with The Game a film that is fun but hardly great, then comes out with Fight Club one of the best films from a year of absolute bangers, down again with Panic Room a perfectly okay film, Then Zodiac a film that got snubbed for zero reason and is perhaps his best film, he swings back with Benjamin Button one of the most awful award chasing piles of poo poo I've ever seen, then finally breaks the pattern with Social Network which is good although I find some of the praise unearned. Then it's pretty smooth sailing for him until Mank which despite the protestations of some insane Mankophiles is a movie that simply does not exist.

Just skipping right over Alien3.

Lmao.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You should rewatch it backwards.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I love how bad Ebert's taste is. That Into the Wild film is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Everything about that movie (and the book) makes me absolutely furious.

I can’t even summarize it into a quip. It’s like the Mr. Burns’ diseases thing but with rage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Have they announced the next series yet anywhere? I don’t really follow social media.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You’re like the Old Faithful of bad opinions.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Are they really doing McTeirnan?

Because I’m a completely unironic defender of The 13th Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never been more in agreement with someone on the pod than with David on De Niro's Killers of the Flower Moon performance being one of his best.

He’s definitely not getting enough credit because it’s just kind of expected from him at this point. I feel silly praising a Robert De Niro performance in 2024, like I’m gonna have some unique insights, but he was amazing.

I also think that people might not have been expecting it to be as funny as it is.