Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
TRIALS OF MANA - Demo out 3/18, Game out 4/24!

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/trials-of-mana-demo-launches-march-18-final-trailer-and-pre-launch-gameplay

This is a thread for all games in the Mana series, but right now we're all hyper-focused on the new Trials of Mana remake.

What Is Trials of Mana?
Okay, so back in the 90's there was a sequel to Secret of Mana released only in Japan known as Seiken Densetsu 3. Thanks to a very popular and widespread fan translation rom, many English speakers were able to play this game back in the 90's and 2000's (more on SD3 below). However, Square shocked us all by releasing the COLLECTION OF MANA for the Switch in June of 2019, which featured a fully translated port of the original Japan-only game. THEN, they really turned up the hype by announcing that, in 2020, we'd be getting a fully re-imagined 3D remake of SD3, which they have now named TRIALS OF MANA for worldwide audiences.

The thing is, unlike the Secret of Mana 3D remake that came out a few years ago, this one looks really, really good; with a perfect mix of staying faithful to the source material as well as innovating all of the things that needed innovating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SddzGPQJpAU

----------

The Mana Collection

FINAL FANTASY ADVENTURE

I never played this one but it looks an awful lot like a Final Fantasy game to me!

SECRET OF MANA

A game that defined my youth. An absolutely killer immersive soundtrack, fun combat, a decent story, and tons of fun settings make this one of my favorite all-time games. Plus co-op!

SEIKEN DENSETSU 3 or as it's now being called...

TRIALS OF MANA

Let's just call this one SD3 for short. SD3 was made widely available across the internet in the form of an exceptionally done JPN to ENG fan translation ROM by a guy named Neill Corlett. Little nerds like me in the late 90's and early 00's who had played Secret of Mana and had to have more would eventually stumble upon and download this ROM.

When I first played it I was disappointed it wasn't more like Secret of Mana. But after giving it some time, it became even more of a favorite than SoM in just about every way. TONS of great new tracks (the snare drum patch takes some getting used to but the rest of the percussion is electric) and a MUCH improved story, allowing you to play as one of six protagonists and choose an additional 2 as your allies. Depending on who you chose, the overall political story would change significantly to account for your band of heroes and their choices.

The game also featured a really fun class leveling system that allows each character to either level up Light or Dark, allowing for tons of class combinations and teams between your three characters.

And now, WOAH! It's getting a remake!

———————

OTHER MANA GAMES

LEGEND OF MANA - Released on PS1 in 1999. Another stellar soundtrack and beautiful art & animations, but the gameplay was repetitive and the story was paper-thin. Worth a play but somewhat forgettable.

The following writeups were contributed by forums user Phantasium.

SWORD OF MANA - A remake of the first game with some sprite designs similar to Trials/SD3. While I liked it at the time the main thing I think it screws up over the original is how bloated it is, there’s a ton of pointless dialog that doesn’t make the original game’s story any more interesting or complete, it just wastes your time. It’s also really really easy.

CHILDREN OF MANA - The first in Square’s… well, failed World of Mana project, it’s almost like they were going for something closer to a diablo game with getting loot from enemies and the repetitive nature of dungeons, except there’s not really a lot of loot or a fun gameplay loop going on. Also pretends to have the physics engine of it’s console counterpart, which ends up being really annoying when you’re getting comboed by… barrels in the environment.

DAWN OF MANA - This is a game where you have to scare monsters to attack them by flinging physics objects their way, where it’s split into discrete areas you can’t go back to, and where your level resets every time you go to the next stage. It uses the havok physics engine judiciously, and has a stage where you fight a wizard in a crumbling tower. Most people didn’t like it because it plays like a slower and janky version of Kingdom Hearts, but it looked so good that Koichi Ishii named it Seiken Densetsu 4.

HEROES OF MANA - An RTS of all things that I’ve never mustered up the interest to play past the tutorial, it’s just not what I come to this series for. Maybe it’s a good game, but I don’t hear anybody talk about the FFXII spinoff that plays similarly and came out around the same time, either.

SECRET OF MANA REMAKE - 3D remake of Secret of Mana that came out in 2017 with added voice acting and updated game play.

MOBILE GAMES (JPN ONLY)
Friend, Circle, Rise
Heck if I know, they never came out over here and never will thanks to the realities of the phone market.

———————

WHERE IS THE ORIGINAL MANA TEAM NOW?

Phantasium posted:

**The Legacy of Mana**

A lot of the original teams that worked on these games have split off to the four winds. In 2000 Shinichi Kameoka, Kouji Tsuda and a few other Mana artists left Square to found their own company Brownie Brown. BB did work predominantly for Nintendo systems as a second party but still came back to work on Sword of Mana with Square on the GBA. They’re probably best known for working on Mother 3.

Hiroki Kikuta, composer of Secret and Trials (I’m still getting used to that name) left to found his own company, which ended up making Koudelka and started the Shadow Hearts series.

Sometime after the World of Mana project which involved Dawn, Children, and Heroes of Mana (the latter of which was still helped along by Brownie Brown), Koichi Ishii left Square to found Grezzo, which is probably best known for the 3DS remakes of the N64 Zelda games, though they’ve also co-developed Legend of Legacy and Alliance Allive with FuRyu.

Early 2013 Brownie Brown underwent a restructuring to reflect the fact that they were mostly working on Nintendo games, and renamed themselves to 1-Up Studio and have mostly helped co-develop the Mario titles created since then, including 3D Land, World, and Odyssey.

At the same time of their restructuring Kameoka once again left to found a new company simply named Brownies, which didn’t publish a game so far as I could see until Egglia: Legend of the Redcap in 2017, a mobile game that plays like a turn-based Legend of Mana. They’re currently working on the Doraemon Story of Seasons game and are hiring for a traditional RPG.

As far as current development within Square concerning the Mana series, most of it comes out of their old mobile division. Masaru Oyamada, who was thanked in the Final Fantasy III remake and Heroes of Mana, was the head of the mobile versions of Final Fantasy Adventure (which I think came out on dumbphones) and also the original mobile port of Secret of Mana, which supposedly used some extra assets from the original SNES CD version which was canceled for obvious reasons. His team also created Rise of Mana which was a Japan only mobile game which was intended to be ported to Vita but ran into issues due to being developed in Unity at a time when Unity on Vita wasn’t working terribly well.

Oyamada has since spearheaded the efforts to revive the Mana series with an incredibly faithful remake of Final Fantasy Adventure named Adventures of Mana for mobile/Vita, and the more divisive Secret of Mana remake on PS4/Vita. This morning they announced a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 which has finally been localized as Trials of Mana, unlike the other two remakes this seems more like a big budget affair, and that it’ll play differently.

The Collection of Mana also finally hit today, and was developed by M2. Still unknown afaik as to what outfit handled the translation, or if it was an internal project by Nintendo.

Also here's a quote I did in another thread that links to an interview with the producer of the remake from famitsu.

Phantasium posted:

By the way, if you can read Japanese or stand google translate, famitsu already has an interview with the Trials of Mana staff (producer is still the guy from Rise/the remakes).

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/12177817.html

Couple things I found interesting, there's no multiplayer in the remake and the title was chosen because it has Tri in it in addition to the obvious definition.

Also there is a physical version of the Collection coming west in August, although one of the box arts seen online so far showed the dreaded "Additional Download Required" graphic which is weird since it's just a game boy game and two SNES games (but then also no mention of that in ad copy).

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu aka Mana Series here, especially the new Trials of Mana!!

timp fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

I guess the next time I try to start writing the OP of a thread I should let somebody know, huh.

*deletes google doc*

I was just so excited I had to make one! But feel free to post your thoughts, I know the OP could definitely use some more work (currently trying to figure out how to bypass imgur being a piece of poo poo, for instance)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just replayed SD3 not too long ago and took Hawk, Lise, and Duran. But I wouldn’t want to take Angela, Carlie, & Kevin for the Mana Collection playthrough cause then I’ll probably be playing as Hawk, Lise, and Duran again for the remake!

At any rate, here’s how I’d rate the characters in terms of how much I like them overall: Kevin, Duran, Hawk, Carlie, Lise, Angela.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I saw a lot of people talking about multiplayer in the Switch thread - is that the main draw of the series or are they fun single-player games?

I played them all single player first and it wasn't until adulthood I managed to find someone else to play with couch co-op. imo the games totally stand alone as single player experience, and the co-op element is a really fun addition to that experience.

e: totally on the same page with my buddy up there!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who picked Duran/Angela/Charlotte in my first playthrough eons ago cause it reminded me of the Secret of Mana party.

I'm not the only one I'm sure.

:whatup:

Though I didn't finish that playthough because all the pros over at GameFAQs told me it was a bad party so I restarted with Kevin & some other people I forget and beat the game the first time with him

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Against my better judgement I went ahead and bought the collection. This is now the 3rd time I've paid money for Secret of Mana. :lol:

But I've been thinking about this Trials of Mana port all day! Can't wait to dip in and see exactly how similar it is to the fan translation. Like I said before I just replayed it about a year ago so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. I'll try to trip report on some of the differences as I play.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mentioned this jokingly before but there is a LOT of exhaustively extensive research that's been done on this game that can be found in various GameFAQs guides. Some of the longest GameFAQs guides you've ever seen.

That is, unless they've tweaked things a bit for this game which, as others have mentioned, would be awesome because it's straight up broken in some regards.

Already noticed a few minor differences up to the first boss, but it's essentially the exact same game for all intents and purposes. Looking forward to playing along with everyone and comparing parties! I went Angela Kevin Charlotte for this playthrough because I anticipate using Duran and maybe Hawk and Lise (if that's still possible) for the remake.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I put a bit more effort into the OP, but if anybody wants to talk about any of the games released from 2000 or later, feel free and I can add descriptions.

Rand Brittain posted:

I cannot abide the disrespect in this thread for Legend of Mana, which is the best game in the series. Okay, it may be completely insane, and it may have some subsystems that make no sense (crafting is so in-depth that literally no sane human will ever figure out how to make anything useful), but it's just full of whimsical charm and I can't help but love it.

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't know anybody else who played Legend of Mana when I was a kid and, because I had so much love for Secret of Mana and SD3, I felt an intense ownership of the game and it definitely still holds a place in my heart. (As I said I think the soundtrack is incredible and I still go back and listen to some of those tracks even today)

But when it came time to summarize the game in two sentences or so, well...I stand by my writeup. :colbert: Great audio and visuals, poor gameplay and story. Also how bullshit was it that you literally got locked out of a couple quests if you didn't know to plant one location next to another one?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Is the SoM one still the port of the mobile game like it was on the PC?

Genuinely floored by the insane cost though. Like I remember buying SoM new for £30 and that was a LONG time ago.

Not exactly sure if I understand what you're asking but the Secret of Mana included in the Collection of Mana seems to be a direct port from the SNES version as far as I can tell

I agree with you on the price, $40 felt a little steep for three old games, two of which I've basically already beaten about 3 times each. But as another poster mentioned above, I eventually just chalked it up to supporting the release of good classic games. I played SD3 for free for many years and hopefully at least some part of my $40 will go to the original developers.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This screenshot in particular has me pretty excited for the Trials of Mana remake:

You can tell exactly where in Castle City Jad that is; right by the main set of steps. I bet Lugar is standing on that tall balcony just out of sight! I hope that most of the remake is 1:1 like that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zophar posted:

For what it's worth, there's a lot of evidence that work went into this port beyond patching in an English translation. They greatly increased the length of the characters allowed when naming characters as well as what can be displayed in text boxes, which means they had to do some pretty heavy lifting in the actual game code to make that happen.

Yeah I noticed that! The text is much smaller in this port than it was for the fan translation, meaning each character can elaborate much better. But to be honest, if anything it just makes me appreciate that fan translation so much more and how succinct they were able to be with their translations.

Other than that all I noticed during my playtime last night were really minor things:

- Menu screen icons changed a bit
- Lots of new names for locations, like Ferolia instead of the Beast Kingdom
- Wisp changed to Lumina like in SoM, but so far most character names seem to be pretty close
- God Beasts are now called "Benevodons"
- The word Holy is removed from locations & spells most of the time, but not always

Still very curious to see if Duran's shields are fixed along with the other stat glitches. For instance I also remember Kevin's Pressure Point move being broken (as in functionally useless, not gamebreaking)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah. I posted this in the Switch thread but I'll repeat it here-

I was chatting with friends during the Direct so I was only watching the screen maybe 80% of the time. When I saw the first scenes of the Trials reveal, I lost my poo poo because I adore SD3 due to playing it so many times back on the ZSNES days. But even though it was obviously a remake, when I saw the name "Trials of Mana" I assumed it was some World of Final Fantasy nonsense spin-off game using various Mana characters and it must be a coincidence that they only showed SD3 stuff.

I was busy typing about this in my chat so I missed them title-dropping Trials of Mana as the new name for SD3 in the Mana Collection announcement so I didn't find out until well after the Direct that it really was a remake. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, I've spent half of my life calling it Seiken Densetsu 3 or at least Secret of Mana 3 (2?) depending on the audience.

Yeah it's confusing as hell, lol. That's why I propose sticking with SD3 when referencing the version that appears in Collection of Mana and sticking with Trials of Mana to describe the 3D Remake coming in 2020. What we used to know as SD3 is now just "the fan translation"

Phantasium posted:

Just redo Chrono Cross like they seem to be doing FFVIII. Slightly better textures and better performance is all I'd want.

And maybe either a few less allies or just a liiittle more depth and development to each one's personality. Oh and maybe some alternate battle music. The combat in that game was super fun but the battle theme got to be a bit grating after several repeats

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

They showed a little more of the Trials remake a little while ago on the Treehouse stream and it looks pretty good. Looks like an actual remake instead of a facelift like the first two.

Thanks for the heads up! I found this rip of what I assume is just the Trials of Mana part of that presentation, get it while it's still hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmnp-apjTjk

E: I'm only able to listen since I'm at work but I'm loving the arrangements so far; very faithful to the originals which is a good thing imo. Sounds like a lot of the recognizable sound effects are there too. Seems dumb to even comment on that but SD3 really does have great sound design which absolutely includes the constant beeps and blips of all the RPG sounds

timp fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 12, 2019

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
English dub was just confirmed as well!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

That's not really surprising, despite what people see of the effort of Secret of Mana, that game made a point to give literally every character in the game voiced dialog, even going so far as to have at least one area with a guard on each side with the same dialog, but different voice acting/actors for each line.

Definitely not surprising, but I hadn't seen it specifically stated anywhere yet so I'm still a bit relieved. Also I haven't played the SoM remake so I wasn't aware of their dedication to voiced lines.

You have to imagine that Charlotte's going to be a bummer to listen to.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Books On Tape posted:

Is SD3 the type of game where each of the character's story is self-contained like in Octopath Traveller and each story ends up being pretty short? Or is there some kind of overarching story that you really need to play each character to unveil?

The latter; this post sums it up pretty well:

Jazerus posted:

for people new to SD3/Trials:

most of the game is similar no matter what your party is, but the very beginning and the last dungeon are determined by your main character. the difficulty of the last dungeon varies (slightly) depending on your path

hawk and lise share a story. it's about witches and demons. their final dungeon is considered the hardest but hawk and lise are characters that routinely break the game across their knee so you should be fine
angela and duran share a story. it's about knights, sorcerers, and dragons. this is the middle-difficulty path but any party with angela is extremely strong so you're probably fine
kevin and charlotte share a story. It's about werewolves and clowns. this is easy by default because you're not going to lose with kevin or charlotte in the party

i feel like I'm doing duran a disservice but he is kind of the odd man out since his shields don't function (unless that was fixed) and he's strictly outclassed by kevin otherwise. any party composition is fine though - just keep in mind that your main character is the one that really matters. it's kinda nice to pair the characters that share a story together because they will both get relevant dialogue sometimes, but it's nothing huge especially for kevin and charlotte who aren't the most articulate folks anyway

tl;dr: there's essentially six different beginnings that converge about an hour into the game and three different endings starting with the last 2 hours or so of the game. The middle is p much all the same except for a mid-game shake up moment

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Man, this is disappointing. I've been doing my usual post-Smash-reveal reaction video binging (the only reaction videos I like, I swear :() and I've been skipping around through the direct to see any reactions to the stuff that I liked (Animal Crossing, No More Heroes ect) and so far I've only found one that even acknowledged what a big deal it is to get both an official SD3 and the Trials remake. :( I guess the kind of people who stumbled across and played the fan translation of SD3 aren't the kind of people who become YouTubers, but if anyone finds a decent one lemme know. Obviously it was nice to see positive reactions here on the forums but there's something special about seeing and hearing genuine excitement. :)

I know what you mean!! It's almost like this port came so late that the majority of folks who would have flipped out about it just grew up and moved on before Nintendo actually finally delivered. :smith:

I was also able to find some random people on Twitter making a big deal about this, so if you're looking for fan reactions maybe try there.

Question for the thread: Does anybody feel like SD3 is similar at all to Octopath Traveler? I still haven't played that one but visually it seems pretty similar...do the similarities end there? I have a friend who got really into Octopath; do you think I could convince him to try some co-op SD3 with me? Would he even enjoy it? (he's not a big RPG fan in general but he says Octopath Traveler just really resonated with him for some reason)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Secret of Evermore has this really foreboding and sort of creepy aesthetic that I think stems largely from Jeremy Soule's soundtrack, which is unusually atmospheric for an SNES game (as opposed to the JRPG style of hyper tracks with notey melodies, active basslines, and lots of percussion). The gameplay is also a lot of fun, though there's quite a bit of missable stuff like learnable spells and spell components that could really cripple you in combat if you don't find them. I remember it being a fairly difficult game overall. But hey, a Square RPG with time travel and a dog companion—how could that NOT be great?

But yeah man, this soundtrack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9DuAzh9ejM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvB2W-TJRHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyIJFh0bxA

*chef kiss*

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GBS Ambassador posted:

How different is the translation between the official and fan version of Trials of Mana? Are there any gameplay changes? I am not really feeling the tiny font on the official version.

I’m about 4 hours in and it’s virtually the exact same. That Neil guy who translated it in the 90’s did a phenomenal job as it turns out, and the port is identical to the original game as far as I can tell.

Only changes I’ve noticed so far are a few basic localization changes to the names of some of the countries, towns, spell names; stuff like that. Gameplay and plot are exactly the same (right down to a few unfortunate stat glitches; we’ve yet to confirm if crits are back (I haven’t seen them) or if Duran’s shield works now, for instance—I’m starting to suspect they’ve not been addressed :( )

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Found another good reaction from a YouTuber named PlayerEssence. He fell out of his seat and was basically stunned silent for the whole trailer which was impressive. But I'll be honest, I think a lot of "reaction" videos overreact for views and he didn't go into detail about the game like Vinny did at the time so I wasn't sure if I believed it was legit or not, but then I saw he put it at #5 in his top ten best of E3 and talked a lot more about it there so then I felt bad for judging him. Mana fans are precious.

Number 4 actually. Thanks for sharing!

It is satisfying to see others have the kind of reaction I had more or less. I’m just really glad I watched it at home instead of at the office, lol

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Kevin forever. Though, with these more detailed models, all the bois are pretty cute. Gonna be hard choosing my first team.

Kevin loving owns. I love running into night combat and just being all like “awWOOO!!” And now I’m a werewolf.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you don’t buy the equipment from Neko at the Mana Palace before going there you will get murdered.

This. Definitely learned that the hard way on my most recent playthrough a few years ago. Nako's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to (I seem to remember having to go around the Mana Fortress with Dryad in it to actually get to him) and the equipment is expensive, but if you don't buy it the Pure Lands will rock you.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Edit: ^^^^^^

Holy poo poo my excitement for this game has been renewed. This looks like it's going to be really fun to play in addition to the added benefit of the massive nostalgia wave I already knew we'd be getting.

There was so much cool stuff in that video, but I just have to say one thing I'm sad about it the lack of wolf transformation animation for Kevin. I know, removing it makes the combat much more seamless; you can tell that just from watching the video. But the old animation and sound effect always just got me so pumped to start roundhouse kicking rabites and I can't help but be a little disappointed there's no new and improved version in this game. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll be a toggle...

But yeah, the music, the voice acting, the art style, and the dedication to the source material—it all looks great. Love those upgraded class outfits.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, this looks like just about the best remake of a game ever made. Holy poo poo I'm so excited. Stat allocation was super brainless in SD3, this is much better. Every bit of information coming out only makes Trials of Mana look better, I can hardly believe how good everything looks.

p much came to say exactly this word for word

But just to contribute, I want to comment on the music. Virtually every track I've heard from this game is an exact 1 to 1 transcription (as opposed to an arrangement) of its Super Famicom counterpart. Just to back that claim up, I was way into SD3 right around the same time I learned about music notation and arrangement with MIDI back in the day, so I would literally pick the SD3 soundtrack apart, track by track, instrument by instrument, and recreate them in MIDI using music notation software. (some of my work even still exists on vgmusic.com and this was like 20 years ago :stare:) I'm 99% sure that this soundtrack is using the exact same files from the original, just with an updated synth library. And personally that's, like, best case scenario for me.

I'm sure there are a few tracks with extra stuff added but yeah, the soundtrack so far that I've heard has been extremely faithful. This is in comparison to the SoM remake, where they let a gaggle of composers divide and conquer, making arrangements of a few songs each with WILDLY mixed results. This approach seems like it'll be much better

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Allarion posted:

Yo

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1239754583716450304?s=19

Preliminary tier 4 Class names:

Duran: Saber (light) / Berserker (dark)

Angela: Witch Queen (light) / Spellcaster (dark)

Kevin: Beast King (light) / Destroyer (dark)

Charlotte: High Priestess (Light) / Chaos Maker (Dark)

Hawkeye: Spriggan (light) / Avenger (dark)

Riesz: Meteor (light) / Hræsvelgr (dark)

I wonder if you have to go dark dark or light light to access these

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to run the Famitsu article through Google Translate and the last paragraph has some new info:

quote:

New element: Find cactus!

The character Cactus is familiar in the Legend of the Holy Sword series. This cactus is hidden somewhere in the world of "Holy Sword Legend 3 Trials of Mana" (50 places in total). Depending on the number you find, you can get benefits that make your adventure advantageous, so let's explore the city and the field!

Hidden Cacti!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but it seems that your progress through the demo will be saved and transferred over if/when you download the full game so you can pick up where you left off.

While that is unquestionably a great thing, I almost wish it wasn't the case, cause then I'd have an excuse to play three of the characters in the demo and the remaining three characters when I get the full game. TBH I'll probably just go ahead and do that anyways :)

Hate to say it, but I think I'm going to be forming a Boyz Club. Hawkeye seems like he's got the best VA, Duran has the coolest costumes, & Kevin can turn into a werewolf so that's pretty much a gimme. Charlotte's got the annoying VA (though I'm sure it's not THAT bad...) & Reisz just seems very vanilla with not much personality. I'm sad to be leaving Angela behind but I can only pick three! Of course that will leave me with Girlz Club for my 2nd playthough and maybe it's not such a good idea to load up my first playthrough with all my first choices (because I will almost definitely be playing through twice)

Now that we've seen more gameplay footage, which way is everyone leaning for their first party?
(should be interesting to hear how answers change after tomorrow as well)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

So I never really played all the way through SD3 despite emulating it years ago. How do the storylines work for the three characters you pick? I noticed they're grouped with antagonists--is it a good idea to pick one character from each grouping, or does that not really affect the story at all? I was already planning on doing Hawkeye, Kevin, and Angela for the first run I think.

Oh drat I should've checked the official site lol

Thanks!

Basically there's three separate storylines; three kingdoms attacking three other kingdoms.

Angela's kingdom attacks Duran's
Hawkeye's kingdom attacks Reisz's
Kevin's kingdom attacks Charlotte's

You can pick a character whose kingdom is the aggressor or the character whose kingdom is being attacked. Opinions will probably vary on this, but I think it makes sense to choose both of the characters involved in a particular storyline to get both perspectives. I don't think you get to see very much of the storyline of your two followers, so picking one character from each story won't really give you great coverage of what's going on with their antagonists or kingdoms or whatever.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

I appreciate that they showed basically zero restraint and played everyone's personalities as straight and stock as possible. Angela yelling out poo poo like, "It's too gross and dark in this cave!" or, "I love shopping!" adds enormously to the game's charm; it's anime as hell and takes pride in that.

The demo feels like a love letter to the original game without necessarily worrying about breaking hearts. They've paid attention to the main details that elderly gamers like myself will remember fondly - the sound, the music, the level design - but updated all the core gameplay for the modern, post-Dark Souls ARPG era. Simple things like aerial attacks, a dodge, and telegraph markers make the combat feel far more intricate and enjoyable than the original (although I wonder if the animation canceling on the dodge might be a bit too generous). I sunk a huge number of childhood hours into SD3, and this is probably the best remake I could've hoped for. Very much looking forwards to the full release.

This sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly, right down to the words 'love letter' which specifically flashed in my mind early on while playing. This was, without a doubt, one of my absolute favorite games during some of the most formative years of my life, and on this remake they did such an incredible job balancing both being faithful and innovating. Like Vermain, I also enjoyed the various color commentary the PCs would provide in different areas, and hearing Hawkeye lament how the enemies were TOO easy made a smile creep across my face.

I will say that I definitely noticed a fair amount of texture pop-in while playing on the Switch. But luckily I also own a gaming PC and a PS4, and I only got to see 2/6 intros so far, so I'll do one more on PC and one more on PS4 and make a decision as to what on which platform I want to get the full version from there. Obviously the idea of carting the Switch around is appealing, but I only ever play on a TV anyways...hmm....

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The remake is mostly good but that part was a bit jarring. At least put a wispy voice effect on it or something.

I remember thinking at the time that I loved the voice but really wasn't digging the character model they chose. It was just so small and plastic-looking, while the voice was loud and dynamic. I hope the rest of the Spirits are more animated than that!

timp fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 19, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really like what they did with this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVhHStgpvM

I mentioned a few day ago that it seemed like all the music was more transcription than arrangement, with each instrument hitting every note from the original with virtually no exceptions. After playing the demo and listening more, that still holds true for the most part, but I have picked up on a few minor changes. But it's still really wonderful because they're subtle and don't take away from the song's "thesis" as it were at all. For instance, in the track above, they removed the accented shaker part from the original and replaced it with some light hand drumming. They also added some really tasty sustained strings in the part when the main theme repeats itself.

I'm just so impressed with the direction they took at arranging these tracks—90% original with an extra 10% punch-up. IMO it's the best route they could have taken.

Oh also the Crimson Wizard's teleportation effect looks fucken rad

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

I haven’t gotten there on the demo yet but don’t you get the third party member after full metal hugger (unless your third partner is Charlotte)? Did they change that?

You're correct, and this is honestly something I wish they would have been clearer about. You will not get to use your 3rd party member in this demo. (unless you picked Charlotte maybe?)

All good though, just means we have a great excuse to play through the demo thrice instead of twice! :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Yeah if I remember correctly Charlotte joins you in the waterfall cave after you rescue her if she’s your third party member

That tracks. It’s funny when she’s not your 3rd party member and she’s just begging to join you. Hawkeye was just like “absolutely not” and I lol’ed

Another random thought: I like how your party splits up when you get to towns. Makes them all seem more like people with their own plans and preferences and whatnot, and it’s cool when you run into them while exploring random establishments. Oh hey Duran! :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

As a dirty pc player who can’t get a demo, how does Duran play? He was always the most boring physical attacker in the original.

You can get a demo on steam though...?

I’ve played as Hawkeye and Duran and I liked how strong Duran’s single sword swings felt compared to Hawk’s double knives

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Rofl, I had realized the different main characters rotated saying the title on the title screen, but "Twails of Mana" still took me off guard.

I was misty-eyed after the incredible opening, and then that was the one I got for my first playthrough. I just busted out laughing

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I took the personality test

Here's a link to that if anyone wants to take it: https://trialsofmanaquiz.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/quiz

e: I got Duran. Nice, I'll take that :)

timp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 20, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I didn't like Secret of Mana, I didn't care much for SD3, I hated Sword of Mana, and I'm saying all that to state that I loving love this game. My "actual" team is Angela/Kevin/Riesz. When I started playing as Angela my feelings were "Oh hey combat is kind of neat. Definitely better than the original." Once I got Kevin, though, that's when I was all in, he's such a blast to play as, rushing in quickly and laying down the hurt and then dodging away before the enemy can get a hit in. I love it.

It feels very Dynasty Warriors in a way, with the weak/strong attacks and the different combos, and what are essentially Musou attacks, and I enjoy the bonus exp for beating enemies fast and without taking damage.

The animations are kind of stiff and the voice acting is mostly disappointing, but they're not completely intolerable* and the combat is so great that those things don't matter. I probably won't be getting this game right off the bat but I'll definitely grab it at some point in the future.

* Except Charlotte. She's completely intolerable. I hope she's gone forever after Wendel.

It’s good to hear from folks who weren’t fans of SD3; I know that my impressions will always be skewed by my love of the original game so I’m always curious how this game comes across when it has to stand on its own. I’ve recommended it to a few friends who are not familiar with the original (the free demo is an easy sell) so we’ll see what they think!

Agreed about the combat. I agree with those who have said it’s too easy, but I can also see the potential within the system for it to be difficult enough in the right places. The early game was always easy, but if something like the boss fight on the ghost ship ends up easy, that’ll probably be a good indicator that the whole game is balanced too easy. Of course there’s always the late game bosses too, I’ll definitely expect those to be difficult.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even if the remake sucked, the soundtrack alone would make it worth it.

SD3 and Chrono Cross both got me through middle school so if that was announced I’d pretty much just die

Actually, tbh, Chrono Cross doesn’t really need a remake imo; even it’s incredible soundtrack is just fine on its own

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chumbler posted:

I seem to be unable to get the demo on steam to recognize that I'm using a gamepad. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I didn’t try very hard to make it work since I have the demo on both PS4 and Switch already, but I was unable to use a PS4 controller to play the demo on steam which led me to not even play it. Maybe I should dig a little deeper and try to fix it; I figured it was just not an option and gave up pretty quickly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dackel posted:

I love how active this thread is, but everytime I see the unread messages I think "god, imagine if this game had multiplayer of any kind". I understand the limitations, but man...

SD3 was always a one player game for me so I'm not sweating it that much, but you're not wrong. It'd be especially fun if there was online multiplayer and we could get some goon teams assembled. FWIW though it seems like the current combat system may be set up for the player to control all 3 characters, switching when each one is close to being able to unleash a special.

I know nothing about making video games and even less about netplay. Is co-op the sort of thing that could theoretically get added as DLC or some other update in the future? Or would that be virtually impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

The same team put co-op in the Secret of Mana remake, I imagine they could add it, but iirc they thought because it wasn't a top down view anymore it wouldn't work as well?

Now that you mention it I do remember someone saying (maybe in this thread?) that they were having trouble with making the camera work for couch co-op, which is understandable imo. Net play seems like it’d be fine though, or at the very least using two Switches near each other