Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Phantasium posted:

Also a remake of 3 is coming that looks like it has an actual budget behind it.

I'm legit surprised by the Trials of Mana 3D remake, Adventures of Mana and Secret of Mana were just like "Oh, well, we have these assets left over from Rise of Mana events, let's do almost 1:1 remakes" and with this one they're like "Let's maybe actually do a real remake"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I loving loved SD3 when I played a fan translated ROM many years ago so finally being able to buy it is a welcome sight.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I have fond memories of never getting very far into the game because I spent so much time restarting for all the characters' unique opening stories

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I beat SD3 but I honestly can't tell you anything about the story, all I cared about was which cool class I was gonna spec into.

I guess I'll have to play it again.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I like how one character’s whole story was about being strong enough to change classes. It’s always fun when game mechanics are made an integral part of the story.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've never played a mana game before. Should I?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

I've never played a mana game before. Should I?

gently caress yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy adventure is a lovely gameboy action rpg where the entire plot is just a constant train of shuffling in maidenly women to die tragically to make people feel sad and secret of mana is a game with really pretty sprite art and weird music that's also a horribly disjointed mess with an insanely awkward and unsatisfying combat system

but sd3 seems alright tbh and secret of mana did give us koudelka, and legend of mana was sort of interesting from what i played

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
legend of mana is the only good mana game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

listen to this and you will have extracted your value from final fantasy adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0qv44SVmo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's up on the E-shop now: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/collection-of-mana-switch/ I

just bought mine! i can't wait to play SD3 again!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SD3's story is pretty thin as a result of it being spread across so many different characters, and almost half of the game is pure padding with no story at all. The combat is a LOT better than SoM but it still has some of the same issues, game pauses when someone casts spells or uses a higher level attack skill. Due to the nature of select-able characters, different story paths, and the class branches, it's possible to both make the game a turbo-speed clobberfest OR an awful horrible tedious slog where you basically do nothing but spam spells from the menu. Overall a great game aside from that stuff though, absolute gorgeous and the soundtrack is killer.

FF Adventure is so janky I managed to wrong warp to the end of the game from the beginning while doing a normal screen transition casually as a kid. Pretty hard to get over the Gameboy-era issues it has these days but I still kind of have a soft spot for it.

Also gently caress Yeah on more SaGa coming to the Switch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

By the way, if you can read Japanese or stand google translate, famitsu already has an interview with the Trials of Mana staff (producer is still the guy from Rise/the remakes).

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/12177817.html

Couple things I found interesting, there's no multiplayer in the remake and the title was chosen because it has Tri in it in addition to the obvious definition.

Also there is a physical version of the Collection coming west in August, although one of the box arts seen online so far showed the dreaded "Additional Download Required" graphic which is weird since it's just a game boy game and two SNES games (but then also no mention of that in ad copy).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It is worth noting that this is not the last of what they are showing of FF7R. There is still almost a year and several major conferences

The problem is that at every opportunity since its announcement they've shown roughly 95% the same footage. And this the last e3 before release, when they SHOULD be going all-out with as much as possible. Especially for a game with the scope of FFVIIR

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm hyped af for a SD3 remake. :peanut:

I hope they work on improving the game though, one of my SoM disappointments was how much of the game was copied/pasted instead of trying to refine it. I'm gonna buy Collection of Mana and start another new run of SD3 at least. I did a playthrough where I started everybody as their 3rd class which was fun. You got spells at the right stat/spirit instead of waiting to class change, you got free range of stats (but also don't get the free baseline stats on class change), and there's a hidden screen freezing attack vulnerability you get with class upgrades that make early bosses like the Jewel Eater real nasty. I just kinda want to see what the differences are, and I never did finish the Kevin/Carlie route either.

e: finding some kind of plot to add during the God Beast segment would help. That's a big slog of just endless dungeons when the difficulty continues to ramp up that could use something to break it up. idk what though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The interview posted upthread says it's going to play really differently, and the trailer shows sick air combos happening.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah if trials of mana can have actually good combat i'll probably check it out

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, and no stopping the fight for Carlie to cast spells too. Losing multiplayer is unfortunate but understandable to better focus on how it plays. so yeah I'm more hype now actually having read said interview now too! :toot:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trying to play a mana game as an adult is one of the most disappointing things in the universe.

So good 25 years ago. SD2 was one of my favorites..

Such a disappointment now. They are barely playable. I think i've just changed to the point where I don't like things disguised as other things anymore, so turn based RPGs where you just spam magic disguised as action RPGs doesn't appeal.

At least the first Seiken Densetsu game isn't complete rear end.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 11, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would argue that seiken densetsu 1 is pretty bad becuase even if its gameplay isn't as wonky as sd2 its story is entirely fixated around how sad it is to watch women die and hey what if we killed another woman would that make you sad again

like jesus i get that they were limited by the constraints of trying to make a narrative game on the gameboy but like. was there, no other way to tie the plot together than to kill off like three different women ten minutes after introducing them lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 11, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Colonel posted:

i would argue that seiken densetsu 1 is pretty bad becuase even if its gameplay isn't as wonky as sd2 its story is entirely fixated around how sad it is to watch women die and hey what if we killed another woman would that make you sad again

Fine, just don't read any of the text boxes.

At that point, you have a game that plays like a game, and 2 games that play like pinatas.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
more importantly i just realized trials of mana abbreviates to loving Tom

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anybody know anything about Romancing SaGa3 and Scarlet Grace? I've seen people excited over their localization resurfacing and got interested, but only have vague knowledge of the series.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Motto posted:

Anybody know anything about Romancing SaGa3 and Scarlet Grace? I've seen people excited over their localization resurfacing and got interested, but only have vague knowledge of the series.

RS3 has possibly the best sprite work and soundtrack of any 16-bit era game. As for the game itself, standard SaGa gameplay. So basically everything is RNG heavy.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Motto posted:

You mean RS3 in general? I've beaten it with almost all of the characters, it's a pretty solid RS game with a handful of really odd mechanics (war battles, commander combat system, etc), and an insanely bullshitty final boss. Lots of silly gimmick characters to recruit, like a fat batman/zoro, a lobster, snowman, elephant, and so on. Going to assume the remake will be like the RS2 one and have a bonus dungeon/boss that will help ease up the final boss a fair bit. If you've played other SaGa games (especially RS1 or 2) you've got a pretty good idea what's it's like. Pretty traditional scenario, semi-non-linear like all RS games.

And yeah the art/music is extremely sick in general.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm so glad to finally play RS3 with anything other than the Mana Sword translation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that at every opportunity since its announcement they've shown roughly 95% the same footage. And this the last e3 before release, when they SHOULD be going all-out with as much as possible. Especially for a game with the scope of FFVIIR

I mean... not really?

Keep in mind that this isn't the entire FFVII. It's just the Midgar section fleshed out. We've already seen almost all the areas you can go to in Midgar, including the majority of the boss fights. There will likely be new content but they need to save some of that for closer to launch or other shows. (And yes, they are probably still working on it. The game is a little under a year from launch assuming it doesn't get delayed.)

They have shown gameplay segments all the way to the very end of the game, including Shinra Tower and what is most likely Sephiroth's attack on it. They've kept some things back (We haven't seen Aerith's church or Red XIII or any of the Turks for example) but that's likely to have a ongoing hype train more than anything else.

If you're complaining they haven't shown endgame stuff outside of brief clips, I will point you to Literally The Entirety Of E3 Demos which always focus on either big mid-game setpieces or early tutorial stuff (which is also often a big setpiece). Yes, we know the plot of FFVII but they're marketing it like any other game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 11, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I found a busted up copy of sigma star saga for $40. Complete mind you, but then I remember I basically gave my mint copy away for peanuts. If any of y'all are thinking on selling your stuff because you think you need money, please don't. Hoard these things like gold because ebay is a complete shithole and goddamn do I regret having sold half of my PS2 jrpgs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Colonel posted:

like jesus i get that they were limited by the constraints of trying to make a narrative game on the gameboy but like. was there, no other way to tie the plot together than to kill off like three different women ten minutes after introducing them lol

In terms of story the best Zelda game was on the gameboy, so that's not an excuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wind waker was a gameboy game?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sorry but it's spirit tracks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BabyRyoga posted:

Trying to play a mana game as an adult is one of the most disappointing things in the universe.

So good 25 years ago. SD2 was one of my favorites..

Such a disappointment now. They are barely playable. I think i've just changed to the point where I don't like things disguised as other things anymore, so turn based RPGs where you just spam magic disguised as action RPGs doesn't appeal.

At least the first Seiken Densetsu game isn't complete rear end.

If you think about it ff7 remake is just the combat from secret of mana

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Motto posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 was a late SNES era open world JRPG. You choose one of eight protagonists and after a brief inciting incident, you're free to roam the world, looking for adventure. Since it's a JRPG from the 90s, it means the quest design isn't, like, incredibly in depth, but also maybe a little more memorable since most of them are like "Oh, this quest takes you to a location that's only used for this quest" instead of just hours and hours of recycled Content (tm).

Aside from being on the open world trend a decade early, SaGa's other defining quality is how characters improve based on what they do in combat. You wanna be better with Fire Magic? You gotta cast Fire Magic. You want new Spear Techs? You gotta use Spear Techs. There's a fuckton of party members to meet, and even if they aren't necessarily well developed from a narrative standpoint, the novelty of having Fat Zorro in your party is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeEtEK2n5kk

Scarlet Grace Ambition is a remaster of a Vita game, and most of us are hyped because Scarlet Grace was the first fully new SaGa game since 2003's Unlimited SaGa (which was much maligned back in the day, but looking back if it had been released in the past few years as a $20 indie game on Steam it probably would have a huge cult following).

It's sort of an unknown quality, people who played the JP version seem to have loved it, so.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Motto posted:

I am 100% not the person to hype SaGa games so take this with a huge lump of salt but I've played Scarlet Grace and it's interesting. How much you enjoy the battle system will make or break the game for you since that's literally all there is. There are no dungeons or towns to explore. You just run around on the overworld and all town/dungeon/story interactions are told through still images. And yet it somehow manages to be like a 40 hour game, which means expect to spend about 39 hours in combat I guess? The art is good and the battle effects are nice. As always it's nice sparking new moves and stuff.

This new version fixes one of the main gripes I had with the first Vita version which was that gathering materials for crap is the dumbest sloggiest grind ever and seems like an extremely cynical attempt to pad the game out like crazy. For the new one they put in this thing where you can have folks not in your party harvest stuff for you which immediately makes it a ton better.

If you haven't really mastered the battle system after a few hours in you'll hit a wall when the difficulty spikes and that'll be the point where you really figure out if you're going to like the game or not. If you like the battle system and really get it you'll overcome, if you're like me and have trouble managing tactics more complicated than 'use their elemental weakness' then you'll be broken and give up.

So yeah. Scarlet Grace is pretty much all about the battle system. Hopefully there's a good demo so folks can see if they like it or not. It's a really good battle system with lots of nuance but it was just a bit too much for me to handle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

If you think about it ff7 remake is just the combat from secret of mana

the ff7 remake rewards you for pressing buttons

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Getsuya posted:

I am 100% not the person to hype SaGa games so take this with a huge lump of salt but I've played Scarlet Grace and it's interesting. How much you enjoy the battle system will make or break the game for you since that's literally all there is. There are no dungeons or towns to explore. You just run around on the overworld and all town/dungeon/story interactions are told through still images. And yet it somehow manages to be like a 40 hour game, which means expect to spend about 39 hours in combat I guess? The art is good and the battle effects are nice. As always it's nice sparking new moves and stuff.

This new version fixes one of the main gripes I had with the first Vita version which was that gathering materials for crap is the dumbest sloggiest grind ever and seems like an extremely cynical attempt to pad the game out like crazy. For the new one they put in this thing where you can have folks not in your party harvest stuff for you which immediately makes it a ton better.

If you haven't really mastered the battle system after a few hours in you'll hit a wall when the difficulty spikes and that'll be the point where you really figure out if you're going to like the game or not. If you like the battle system and really get it you'll overcome, if you're like me and have trouble managing tactics more complicated than 'use their elemental weakness' then you'll be broken and give up.

So yeah. Scarlet Grace is pretty much all about the battle system. Hopefully there's a good demo so folks can see if they like it or not. It's a really good battle system with lots of nuance but it was just a bit too much for me to handle.

Thanks for this, I didn't know what SG was like at all. Is the battle system just still SaGa? I enjoy SaGa's battle system so if it at the very least hits that mark I'll probably have a blast with it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This game is three years in development and less than a year away from release, and their huge reveal of their showing was "Tifa"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game is three years in development and less than a year away from release, and their huge reveal of their showing was "Tifa"

and?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You could make this exact post about the original ff7