Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Angela with Duran and Riesz, what makes sense for the class changes? I was thinking Duran as a lord, Riesz as a fenrir knight (I can't actually decide if I want that or starlancer :ohdear:) and archmage for Angela, but I have never played the original game so I don't know if I'm shooting myself in the foot here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The ghost ship XP thing briefly bothered me too, but as you go up in levels as a % difference it starts to shrink enough so your party will be close together again in levels.

I can see how it triggers the OCD in people though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arkeus posted:

anyone found a good site that has maps that shows exactly where lil'cactus are? I am missing quite a few.
This one looks complete: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/lil-cactus-guide-for-trials-of-mana-all-50-lil-cactus-locations-prizes/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

Nah, loving cockatrice things on the volcano island.
Haha they got me too. Once. :argh:

Wasn't 40 minutes at least, only about 15 for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Archmage Angela owns (and I love the voice acting, don't hate :v: I LOVE SHOPPING :v:) but before I start over with her (Rune Seer this time, I think), I need to finish Anise's dungeon. That one's a bit exhausting IMO.

lezard_valeth posted:

Once I finish the game and want to do the other 2 characters paths, which is the better option, New Game or New Game+? I've seen people post that New Game+ carries over your characters level, won't that take away all the fun by being extremely overpowered? Is there a story difference from going New Game+ ?
I'd also like to know this.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I already miss her in my Hawkeye/Chawwlotte/Riesz party.

Also the "we have so much lucre let's spend it" comments once you start getting big money drops :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would totally buy more stuff but there's nothing I can buy yet, valkyrie lady. Maybe once we get to merchant town.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

Angela's final class item fight was ROUGH. I spent probably an hour on it. Dear lord she's a destroyer even light/light.
Yeah I didn't really like that fight, I had her set up to be a "hiding" (with Enigma) nuke cannon and suddenly I'm without my party distracting the boss, while having to move constantly instead of being able to cast. The Duran fight on the other hand wasn't hard but it was super boring because healer Duran will never die, but will also kill the enemy very, very slowly.

Also "you can't have duplicates of ??? seed items" has to be wrong and people are probably being lucky, I just carried a bunch over into NG+ for my Hawkeye/Charlotte/Riesz party and when I finally planted all of them at once I got both items for dark Hawkeye, both + duplicates for light Charlotte and not a single light Riesz class change item, so now I'm probably going to approach level 90 before Riesz can get her 3rd class (while the other two are class 3 since level 38), thanks to the 300% XP bonus trait :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

That poo poo is hilarious, by the way. It can also stack with the Lil Cactus XP boosters. :v:
It's amazing but obviously breaks the entire challenge until post-story content at least, because you'll just outlevel everything and kill normal mobs in 1-2 hits. I love it for a quick replay to do other characters' stories, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's only "necessary" to grind XP if you want to hit 99 in a playthrough without the NG+ chain ability. My 2nd team hit 99 with the fights for the class 4 change items, ie. before starting Anise's dungeon :eek:

I had to babysit this run a lot more than my first playthrough (which was archmage Angela, liege Duran on heals and Fenrir knight Riesz on debuffs). High cleric Charlotte often didn't bother to heal for ages even when someone's low health alert went off and the rest of the party was around 50% - she was set to the prioritize support setting, but still spent most of the time HOOOLY BOLT-ing and ineffectively, uh, flailing around. And it looks like she doesn't really use the saber spells on her own or does she? I mostly had to play starlancer Riesz though because she regularly didn't put up her group buffs (and especially not to clear stat down debuffs from enemies) and frequently spammed her summon - which locks her in the animation for a long time in which you can't switch to her eg. for CS. Nightblade Hawkeye on the other hand seemed fine on AI control so I barely played the run's main character.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can do that but "later" is really late because the goddess scales item (the class reset item) doesn't show up until the last chapter.

E: or even the post-game chapter, I can't remember.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 1, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So if I want I can go to a dungeon, get a seed, leave, then go get another seed and promote everyone before I take on another?
Yes you can leave the benevodon areas/dungeons at any time and go to another one or go back to the sanctuary to switch your class. Another option is farming the dungeons for monster drops, eg. the moon tower (the silver wolverine guys occasionally drop ??? seeds too) instead of going to every dungeon first.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I savescummed a bunch of gold seeds and come on game, I really didn't need any more of Angela's class 3 ring, I already have 8 :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The class items are consumable, if you know you'll never use them :v:

But you can also save them for NG+ or maybe you wanna class change for the post-story dungeon/boss.

Re: seed RNG, the fixed pool of 3 items per seed is something I observed before readibg the above posts - I can reroll all night but for the same seed it's always the same item out of the pool of consumable / serum / gear. I'm getting (class 3) weapons from silver seeds too, right now, but that's with a level 5 pot and cactus bonus.

Seeds rerolling on class change would make sense due to class locked items, TBH.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So black rabite is kind of annoying with a mostly magic based team. And then someone in my team put up light saber :psyduck:

But generally Angela/necro Charlotte/"healer" Kevin is pretty great.

I never paid attention but I guess some mobs / bosses have some sort of reflect? I one-shot myself twice on Angela so far and that's the only thing that would explain it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still don't have Angela's dark class 4 coat after like 50 rainbow seeds :(

What is a good skill to mitigate the HP loss from wound magic, or should I just munch more chocolate? For boss fights, that is - for trash I have the ability that restores 100% H0 at the start of encounters.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Definitely set her up and save outside the cave, but I think it autosaves when you enter the map that's exclusive to her trial.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I make a party with Angela/Charlotte I could hear twice as much "HOOOLY BOLT!" :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also her laugh when you charge a power attack. And the comments on having lots of lucre.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

I got Angela's DD outfit and I was like, "Wow, you're just... literally naked now. In ice kingdom."
I mean... she starts with very few clothes already. In ice kingdom.

Stop hating on my stripper magician :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like tracking down the party members when you enter towns. Angela will "hide" near the entrance to the snow town, and stay in the shades near the beach of desert town. In the elven village she's checking out weapons inside the shop. I missed all of those while she was the main character. Meanwhile Duran will prevent you from entering his home if he's in your party but not the MC (otherwise you can enter and get a chain ability from his aunt).

Now I wonder how many chain abilities I'm still missing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Angela spams holy bolt, Kevin punches good and Charlotte keeps me from killing myself with Wound Magic. I even forgot to slot three skills on Kevin and Charlotte and still did Anise in 1 minute 6 seconds :ohdear:

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, didn't think there were 200 in a single playthrough so I wonder if that's cumulative. Since it's hidden I can't check my progress. Not one for hunting down all the chain-skill NPCs though, is there?
I got that in the first playthrough, you can go to the world map and switch the filter to "all locations" to see where you're missing chests and how many there are. You will not go to all locations in one playthrough and some places are locked after you pass through or you can't access all chests (eg. most of the ones in Altena castle are in the basement you won't visit outside of the Angela/Duran story) but there are more than 200 per run. The post-game dungeon alone has 27 of them.

In general none of the achievements are challenging - there are more than the 200 chests and li'l cactus bonuses will eventually tell you where they are, 500k lucre is easy, you only have to finish Anise on hard (although you can make broken builds with all combos to beat the 2 minute time trial for her), black rabite has no difficulty requirement so technically one could beat it on beginner, and you'll have to play through three times to see all the stories (and have all of the 6 characters in your party at least once). The li'l cactus locations are probably the hardest part but they're all in zones you can always revisit so you'll just have to use a guide if you can't find the last few (in many spots they're kinda obvious). And if you use NG+ with the +300% XP ability getting to level 99 is easy (but you don't even need that, as noted).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the ??? seeds can be annoying in a first/only playthrough. At least it's less of an issue in NG+ since you can just bring along a ton of the seeds.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To fix the abilities imbalance the game probably would have needed some slots for personal abilities and then another pool of slots for chain abilities.

Also some of the abilities are crappy (with conditions which you rarely trigger) and several are badly explained. And the way the game is tuned all the +defense abilities are largely pointless, you're never in a position where attrition matters so you would be better off finishing the fight faster with more damage. So the good (damage) abilities stand out even more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Black Rabite gives a "0 MP on moves in combat" ability so eventually you don't even have to attack, just spam spells harder :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Is NG+ not locked to the characters you beat the game with? Or is it just available for anyone just beating the game once?

What exactly even carries over to NG+ and is there any new content?
No new content, you get a few chain abilities to use in NG+ though (one per character who completed the game before and a +300% XP bonus one).

And you're not locked to previous characters, you'll start the game like normal, except the game will take the following from the savegame you loaded to start NG+:

-the level of your characters (if you use someone from the previous savegame they will keep their level, people you didn't play before still start at 1)
-chain abilities you unlocked in previous playthroughs
-your entire inventory, except the fast travel items and class 4 items (you'll have to do those quests again after the main story)
E: - li'l cactus locations and -bonuses transfer too

Your class and abilities will be reset if you reuse a character from previous runs (so you would be a level 99 class 1 for a while). Seeds are transferred with the inventory and at least ??? seeds are rerolled so you won't get seeds for a character who was in a previous run but not the current one. The difficulty and story is exactly the same as far as I can tell.

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 7, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Class 4 is basically for the post-story dungeon, and the two bosses. You can also go and take it to steamroll the sanctuary and finish the story boss in 3 casts :v:

And with imported chain abilities you can be broken on class 1 too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I have 2 more Lil Cactus locations to find, but according to my map I've found him everywhere I can land... are there any locations I should double check to look for him that I could have easily missed?
You can check this guide, there are two at the end of the game (one in your main character's endgame area and one in the sanctuary mk.2 between the mana statues and the boss)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I'm in the post-game, right before the fight with Anise, so after that I guess I'm going for Lil Cactus and the Black Rabbite. I for sure got the one in the Sanctuary right before the last boss, but I'm not sure if I got the one in the Dwarf Tunnel? I'm not even sure how to get back there. Other than whatever is listed on the guide, it looks like I got them all. Shame that the map is pretty unhelpful when it comes to areas you can't even land in.
You can go to the world map and switch the filter (on controller it's dpad up/down) to "all map info" which shows all the areas in the game. Hovering over the areas will show you cactus and chest totals.

To get back to the Dwarf Tunnel you have to go through Dwarf Village via Maia/Golden Road.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

And it's faithful to the source material.

Haha I never played the original game, that's great.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The subtitles are the worst part about Charlotte's accent, really.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They can all give you gear, but what specific item per type you're getting from a seed is fixed when you loot it. Every seed can either grow into a piece of equipment, a consumable or a serum. The specific version (eg. weapon X, chocolate or strength serum) will not change but you can save-scum to get the gear if it's a piece you want.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Is there anyway to just get rid of a bunch of money or get my character to shut the gently caress up about how much I have? In this case Angela's said the same lines about being rich so often it's driving me up a wall.
Buy all the gear and consumables and then eat all the chocolate etc. and buy it again. This will take forever.

So basically, no.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anybody remember the teleporter path in the anise lair? I'm about to do it again and would like to just blaze through preferably. Springs I could at least visually see where they went
Someone made this:

I took a screenshot of the full map and wanted to make my own, but :effort:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
More lucent beam.

What chain abilities are you using?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Silver wolverines in the tower were mentioned as a good source of farmable ??? seeds when the game came out and I had great success doing just that, but I would never savescum a single spawn - you can run circles and switch levels in the tower to kill a ton of them, especially with the more encounters ability.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The ??? seeds from benevodon dungeon chests should roll one of the usable class items you don't have yet (that still means you might have to open 6 dungeon chests to get the one class change item you really want) but the monster drop ones are random and they're fixed when you loot them, so you can't savescum those. I think the items will reroll in NG+ if you use different classes, though.

For normal item seeds, savescumming is limited too. The seeds are also fixed when you loot them but the game will roll for categories. For example, rainbow item seeds (which can have your class 4 gear) will roll between a piece of equipment, a consumable and a magic item. It will always be the same item within the category though, so eg. it can have Angela's class 3 headpiece, a strength serum or a specific magic item, but this seed will never give you a class 4 weapon or other types of serums or a different magic item if you reroll it. You can still use this to savescum for gear instead of consumables or vice versa (don't do it :v:).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're playing on PC you can at least get a mod that just lets you buy the class upgrade items, so you can decide for yourself if you want the challenge/grind or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't even mind Charlotte's accent, but the captions of it threw me off constantly.