Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Super hype for the PS4 version when it comes out (don't have a switch yet). Also, Star Lancer!Riesz/Swordmaster!Duran/Nightblade!Hawkeye party is best party. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Levantine posted:

So having not played this in decades, I've picked a party of Duran/Riesz/Hawk. Riesz is going Light/Dark for party buffs, Hawk is probably going Dark/Light for Debuffs. I'm thinking about taking Duran Swordmaster but that leaves me without any healing. Am I going to regret that or do the sabers and damage make up for it?

This is a great combo and almost identical to what I always use (Dark/Dark for Hawkeye). Riesz and Duran have the mulit-target buffs to get everyone going quickly, leaving Hawkeye to apply his debuffs. Poto Oils and Moon Saber should more than cover most of your healing needs.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I'm finally fishing for ??? seeds in SD3 and I completely forget this is annoying as hell. 12 seeds so far, no Paladin item for Duran. 4 Gleipnirs though, which is a class Riesz isn't even eligible for.

All the class change items cast a spell/ability of the class it's for; check to see if the ones you're getting would be useful to you. (Also, saving and reloading before you use a ??? Seed will change the rng of what it turns into.)

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

So I would up making a team of Rieze, Hawkeye and Angela for my first playthrough in Trials, and i've only just discovered that they won't get healing magic ever. How do I work with this, and what's a good A.I setup for them?

Light Riesz (buffs!) and dark Hawkeye (debuffs!) are an amazing combo; there's really not a bad 3rd party member for them. Though my personal opinion is that rune master would be Angela's best class regardless.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Riesz, Duran, and Hawkeye were my preferred party in the original, and I'll be damned if I don't follow through with that in the remake.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Taear posted:

I saved it before opening the chest in the woods and regrew it 3 times
Each time it was the same item, so they're probably set when you create the save.

Nah, it's set on chest open. That's how I got the items I wanted. Granted, it took approximately five million tries to get Duran's battle tag, but it does work.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Yeah I think that you had bad luck, I used the ??? seed chest in the light benevedon's dungeon since it's near a save statue and was able to get the item I wanted after maybe 3 tries.

The ones in the ice and moon dungeon are also near save points; moon's all the way at the top, but ice is pretty accessible. Anyway, I found this video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMdid5fTpE

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm coming up on the end of my first game (Riesz/Duran/Hawkeye); give me some good team compositions for a Kevin/Charlotte/Angela party. Planning on Kevin as main, if that makes a difference.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can try Dark/Dark/Dark for ALL THE DAMAGE and taking advantage of Charlotte's debuffs.
Or Dark/Light/Dark for Charlotte supporting two titans of destruction.

Tell me more about this D/L/D party: is there a better 3rd class for each or is it a six of one, half dozen of the other choice? In the snes game, I used Kevin all of once and Charlotte never, so I have little/no idea of what to expect from them.

quote:

Kevin and Angela kind of share the same role of being powerhouses, so I don't see the appeal of Light Angela in that party (who needs the day boosts to hit the same potential as Kevin with simple Dream Reed usage.)

Light/Dark/Dark could be interesting if you like playing support yourself.

My interest in playing support has been mainly making sure Riesz casts Strength+ and Duran has the appropriate saber up (Hawkeye's AI has been pretty good in terms of debuffs). :v: How much would I (comparably) need to do in terms of support for L!Kevin?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Using Kevin as support seems like a tremendous waste of punching.

Probably! But I've little experience with him so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Thoughts on a Duran / Hawkeye / Angela team? Pretty set on Hawkeye being a night blade, but unsure if I should just say gently caress it to healing spells and make Duran go dark. Also, I know Angela kind of works any way you go, so ideas there might help too.

If it helps, as an Edelfrei, Duran learns an ability that increases the team's elemental damage (Hawkeye's diversions, Angela's spells) and the dark class 4 gets an upgraded version of it. Who needs healing spells when you've got a great offense and poto oils? (Admittedly, I also have Light!Riesz who gets two passives that restore HP at the end of a fight, so. :v: )

Have not used Angela yet, so no advice on her.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Poque posted:

I wish you could pick and choose what carries forward in a NG+ - it'd be awesome to have selectors for levels/lucre/items/chains. Playing through as a way-overleveled god is boring as poo poo, but it'd be clutch to be able to carry forward any ??? seeds, Lucky Find II, and have a toggle for level grinding with Love of Mana. Also let me use costumes from the older files too, dammit! I'm worried about my Warrior Monk Kevin being carried away by a gust of wind in those enormous pants.

Maybe something like the Tales series Grade shop? Only similar thing i know of.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

IIRC, Dragon Master (DL) is better than Fenrir Knight (DD).

And I believe her buffs/debuffs run off spirit, but don't quote me on that.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Edelfrei is absolutely busted and generally considered Duran's best class and makes exploiting elemental weaknesses (Angela and Dark!Hawkeye both have elemental spells/skills) very easy. It's very offensively tilted, but you can tank with it if you want.

Liege is a more defensive/support class; gets passive buffs (atk/def/mag), can heal, and is pretty tanky.

Personally, I'd go for the former and rely on items (or passive abilities) for healing/MP. I am also someone who values offense over defense, and generally build teams to that end, ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh Duran can be the one in prison as a fourth? Ah right, you'd need to take Hawkeye as your second and Charlotte as your third for that, I didn't consider that. It is weird that they have Duran and the party remember each other in that case but not if Hawkeye is the fourth. Especially considering that when the boat leaves your main character will be all "No you can't leave yet you have to wait for Hawkeye!" and then you meet each other in the desert and your main character starts to attack and he goes "Whoa hey don't attack me, my name is Hawkeye and..."

e: But now I have to wonder who's in prison if you take Duran/Hawkeye/Charlotte. Probably Kevin, I'd bet, he'd be the most thematically appropriate considering the beastmen thing.

There is actually a programmed priority list for who's in jail in that scenario; there was a topic on it on gamefaqs, but I'm having trouble finding it now. I remember it starts: Hawkeye > Angela > ????