Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You really want to rent out an underwater "asset" to a bunch of people going to a drug fueled sex and music festival? That seems like really bad judgement for someone in your situation.

Why do you think those rental rates are so high? (hint: there is 99% likelihood they come back trashed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He has money.

The bank gave it to him.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I’m not sure.

Currently just under 6% would be "good".

Knyteguy posted:

Dave Ramsey sometimes suggest taking a personal loan out to cover the difference on a upside down car loan and selling the thing. Any thoughts on that avenue?

Depends on the rate you can get for what you need. Go find out and tell us.

If you can get a decent rate for enough to unload that truck and buy a beater and it allows you to pay it down inside of a year you might be on to something.

I never suggest people try to borrow their way out of debt, but you are just so full of bad decisions while making a decent amount of money that this just might work IF and only if you can stick to a plan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I vote we cut to the chase and send this thread to E/N, but I'm a power-hungry tyrant who thirsts for fresh blood, and I also have your best interests at heart.

Your vote my vote.

Again this is not a problem that can be solved with financial advice. (yet)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I got my employer to pay me to learn react. My first project is already about to be deployed to our sales team probably next week. Kind of why I put redux in the title.

I’m not moving out of state though, it’s too hard on my son and my wife just started her very good job.

You could spend a year or so in the bay area and then end up keeping your $250k computer touching job and taking it remote. This is common.

Getting paid $65k for coding is not common. Thinking a $30k/year job is "a very good job" is not common.

You are completely self-sabotaging. You have the tools to completely fix these things very quickly, unlike the people you've surrounded yourself with who literally have no other option than living in that lovely town.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Where are you guys seeing these? I see jobs for $120k in San Francisco; that's why I've never bothered. My salary = 117k in SF according to https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/reno-sparks-nv-vs-san-francisco-ca

No state tax here, etc.

Where? I run several engineering teams for a large bay area company that you probably have heard of and hire people at these salaries on a regular basis. You may not have the background to walk in the door making that kind of scratch, but it will be six figures and you will have an opportunity to move up quickly into that kind of salary band if you are any good at this, can keep your poo poo together and not spend yourself into bankruptcy because of your untreated sadbains.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

A charity! Multimillionaires start charities, not least so that they can unload appreciated investments that they'd rather donate than pay taxes on. Starting charities is not a middle class gig. Even contributing is ill advised for anyone who hasn't secured their income in old age. Gotta focus on the You Foundation first.

I didn't touch that one before, but I did roll my eyes when I read it. It's just one of those things that's a great indication of how out of touch KG is. "he's an idea guy"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stay out of other threads Zaurg.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Maybe for you and where you live it was 10 years ago.

You literally have a (lovely) portable house that you and your family are already resigned to living in. You can go wherever the gently caress jobs are, more easily than most.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

This is not a silly reason imo.

It is not. Also, Vanguard funds are member-owned (you have voting rights based on how much you have invested). As far as I know, no other brokerage has this arrangement. They are also all completely separate legal entities from Vanguard the company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Jesus christ dude sell the drum set and dirt bike are you loving kidding me? What kind of clown are you

The kind that needs to have a series of threads like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I hear you guys, and I will proceed with selling what we can. Just give me a couple of weeks

We're not giving you anything other than advice.

And if you don't take the solid advice you will receive the late Zarug's wellpiss.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nothing about any of that is special. It's at best "adequate" until you stuffed it into unconditioned storage spaces. Now it's steadily getting worse.

SELL. IT.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I'm not sure where the communication breakdown is here.

It's you and your history. Hope that helps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Paiste cymbals

Ugh. Nothing of value was lost.

(sorry, sorry, I had to start the Ford/Chevy cymbal wars)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Honestly, I would have prefered Zildjian

This is a very correct post.

And again it's a Chevy/Ford thing so arguing it just makes us all retards. (you're still totally right)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also, arrowroot starch is not in any way exotic. It's a basic staple if you make soups or sauces. Too thin? Put in some arrowroot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

If it's only for thickening, you can even substitute corn starch and be just fine. Part of cooking on a budget is learning how to google "[recipe name] substitutions" and learning what can and can't be swapped out in any given recipe.

Ehhh....you can, just like you can substitute flour. But KG is talking about not only cooking on a budget but also easily/in a time budget. Arrowroot is the only thickener I know of that you can just toss in at the end and barely keep cooking and have it not throw off the flavor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be clear, this means "income" per month (or year).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Depends on if the house is paid off I guess.

Exactly. This is why the question is being asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

threelemmings posted:

You are always chasing the next thing that'll "for sure this will make my life perfect."

Like many dumpster fire finances, this isn't primarily a financial issue and can not be solved with financial methods.