Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
KG thread 2019: in debt for the rest of my life, but I once got to eat Nashville hot chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m most likely missing something in this thread but if dude actually has 5000/mo to put to debt payment it seems like it’d be not horrifically hard to get out of debt in about two years. Still kind of hosed for a 35 year old with a family but out of debt.

If he focuses you’re probably right, I just couldn’t resist the title.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Simpsons Reference posted:

Some would go so far as to say it's over-moderated if you've seen what's been going on today. And you have a gift waiting, but still waiting on the delivery.

I thought for a minute you were just referencing Zaurg doing his dumb manic phase, but I glanced through and found what you were talking about and :stare:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro you have sixty five grand of truck and rv debt this aint exactly The Grapes of Wrath here

Please please please make this the new thread title.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Will do - YNAB doesn't rollover a negative category into the next month's category, it just rolls over negative spending into the next month as a whole.

I'm going to hold off on finishing August's budget until the last week of the month, but I'll add those columns.

Budget Update:

Notes:
- Credit cards will be paid off on July 30th. That spending is all budgeted for this month. I won't pay any interest here.
- Pets are good until next month.
- Groceries are good until next month. We just did our two week grocery trip two nights ago.
- Parenthesis in category name ($xxx) is the budget from the beginning of the month. Actual budget reflects the adjusted predicted amount.
- Thousand Trails: We're shored up on this for the next month or two. I want to sell it before dues become due again (they just went up on us). I'll be working on selling the membership after we move to the apartment.
- Tracking is updated with today's balances.
- Hidden category: We had a rollover from June (cigarettes or something I can't remember) so I pulled the $4.61 from that category.
- Went over with a car wash in the maintenance category (why I wanted to account for car washes moving forward). I'll roll that negative into next month from the auto category or discretionary.

Stuff we've learned so far this month:
- Stop buying snacks/drinks from mini-marts. poo poo's expensive. We can stretch our grocery budget much further by cutting that expense.
- The fuel budget needs to increase moving forward until we know what we need.
- Next month my goal is to work on spreading out spending more.

Any thoughts/things we should look out for?

Quick retirement Q:

My wife's 401k from her former employer through Prudential. I have no idea how these contribution %s were set up. The fees go up to 0.87%. Any changes needed? Is there anyway I can just move this to Vanguard? Should we?

Yes you should move to Vanguard.

https://investor.vanguard.com/account-transfer/how-to-transfer-money

Vanguard fees are 0.04% for the VTSAX total stock market. Obviously you can get all into diversification, but it doesn’t have to be complicated at all. The ratio alone is worth it, and doing some blend of total stock market, S&P, etc is def lower risk but way bette ratios than what you are getting there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I added this: But I was thinking about taking them to Guitar Center for a quote, at least.

Look it's 6:00am and I'm still waking up. I'll sell the loving drums to Guitar Center, but it's frustrating when I worked so hard for those drat things in particular. Sunk cost or whatever I guess.

Put it on Craigslist, I agree it’s not worth selling to Guitar center.

Food for thought: what’s the point of a drum set sitting in a non air conditioned storage facility, garage or wherever? It’s just going to make the drums warp.

My opinion , it looks like you use a 4, maybe 5 piece set. As I’m sure you know, drums have a huge price range. Unless you’re playing professionally (or I would even give gigging a few times a month or something) anything over $600-700 for a set is too much. You can get a decent kit for $400-700, and that’s new. Anything under $400 is going to suck, but yeah, if you can sell high ok whatever this drum set is, you can get a better one later.

I have a Pearl Rhythm traveler, not the best sound, but super portable , cheap, and it came with an extra set of vinyl heads so you can play in an apartment. Still not “the same feel” as balls to the walls drum set, but it’s better than soundproofing an entire room.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

Honestly, I would have prefered Zildjian, but when you're buying a drum set that the guy at the music store confirmed he sold two weeks ago for $3,000 for $1,000 because the dude wants to start some business and needs the money, you take the cymbals that come with it.

Of course, the reality is, I couldn't tell the difference in sound between Paiste and Zildjian if I tried - I think 15 year old me just thought the name was cooler and much like children do, decided to pick a side and think that Zildjian was much more badass.

Can’t blame you for taking it with the sale on a deal that good. I’m a big Zildjian fan myself, although that’s more in the past since I don’t play much anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

It was a pro-rated amount for June's balance and an early termination fee yeah. They told me we were good to go without any bill since we bought the device up front when we started the plan, but who knows.

Yeah I don't want to kneecap the discretionary either. Unless goons are going to piss in the well then I'll eat it from our savings contribution just this time. We did cut discretionary $30 moving forward already, and I want to make sure we get used to sticking to a budget before we push too hard. I'll also work a little harder on getting some smaller stuff sold to help make it up.

Update:
I got the dirt bike running for like $85, but I think $50 of that can be returned as I didn't end up using it (if not I'll just throw it in as a sale sweetener, as it's general maintenance stuff). Started up the first kick.

Oh and also I guess we overestimated the move-in bill by ~$300 so we have a credit for our September's rent. Manager at apt will verify, but it looks that way right now.

So far we're looking at, as a budget difference summary for now and next month:
+ $1,000 - 3 paycheck month August
+ ~$300 - overpaid and overestimated rent/move in cost (90%, not 100% sure this will happen, mgr will verify)
+ $10 - talked Charter into giving us a $10 credit which cut the $65 bill to $55.
- $163 - AT&T
- $35 to $85 dirt bike repairs

e: fixed numbers added summary

ATT charged me a final month based off of my billing cycle. When I cancelled they told me the wrong billing cycle date, so it was their fault. So I called them , took about 3-4 times over 1.5 weeks, and found someone to credit it.

Like, ATT customer service is really bad. But if you fight enough someone will credit at least something, if not all of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:five:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: possibly not in good taste so I’m deleting it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 28, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Get your head out of your rear end, Knyteguy.

btw I'm straight up pummeling personal finance into submission since selling my old albatross of a house 1 year ago. Net worth from 151k to 195k in the past year. Maybe your sale of that RV can help catapult you into... well wherever you want to be.

Shut the gently caress up Zaurg.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

Why do you have to buy a house?

Gotta have debt.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
.....I have had a nest thermostat in both my last and current place of rent. You set the basic thermostat the landlord includes aside and install the Nest. When I moved out of my last place I just swapped them back. I’m sure there are rear end in a top hat landlords , but you can ask in advance of your next place if you’re really into that type of thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG you consistently overestimate your own capabilities and underestimate costs. I hope you recognize this behavior and you also recognize that you are doing it right now.

Yeah, at this point it’s not looking good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don’t get why you have to wait for the 401k rollover to make either all or most of your budget.

To repeat, others are being dicks to you because they don’t think you can do it, because you are exhibiting the same behaviors as before. The “I can withdraw from my 401k” is super alarming.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Is there a chance everyone is projecting past me to current me? Factually past me would have that mortgage paperwork signed already.

Like the other poster said, prove it. Take it as a challenge to yourself that you can do it this time. Only way to do that is to actually do positive actions over the course of 4-6 months.

Nocheez posted:

Are you confusing me with someone else? I'm in Dallas (for about another half hour).

........well how's the weather in Dallas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

If you can't scrape 1k together to get your Roth IRA set up, lol at even considering buying a house.

No, see, he can just withdraw from his 401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

If you had a budget you could make cuts in other areas to pay for the rent increase. Luckily you don't have one so you don't have to make any changes to your lifestyle.

I wish you could make this the thread title.