Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Do you want to know my thought process? Why the 17% was worth it? Well gently caress I hate my city, my non-immediate family life is loving miserable (my mom passed out in her car at the Thanksgiving dinner my wife and I hosted, got a DUI for hitting a fire hydrant at a high school and got arrested in front of me, got another DUI), [...] I need to get my family away from it. Away from the toxicity in our lives.

Then maybe staying in your mom's yard instead of moving into that two bedroom and selling the trailer was a bad idea. If you really want to get away from that stuff, don't let your extended family talk you out of decisions that get your wife and child away from bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

I also think the thread is over-exagerating the Grapes of Wrath like squalor and poverty you are in while living in the RV. It's not fun, but nothing you have written sounds insurmountable or horrific. If the worst thing your child has to face in life is going inside the nearby house to use the bathroom, he'll be okay.

People aren't worried about the RV so much as Knyteguy's hosed up family dynamic. His alcoholic mom called the cops on them a year ago, and it sounds like that's just one of many things that have happened. That can really mess a kid up if they're in a dysfunctional or stressful environment in childhood. Research is showing that it leads to all sorts of issues well into adulthood.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Make vape junk its own dumb category so you can see how much you're wasting on it each month as you start using it more again. Hiding it in discretionary makes it easier to justify.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm excited for no-update November.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

We can afford a house and retirement, fun money, and saving even discounting the likelihood of a house actually being economically beneficial based on my metro area's high rents. I didn't work so hard to this point in my life to never reap the benefits.

People in this forum like to be overly combative, but come on. You've already been reaping benefits and spending money, that's what the RV and truck adventure was, right? Don't act like you've been living like a pauper. If you want to buy a house, then save up the money and make sure that you can actually stick to a budget for a year or more without buying large ticket things. You can always rent a house in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I agree with all of the decisions, but don't act like I'm not taking the thread's input into account.

quote:

We're likely going to be moving at the end of this month.

BFC tends to wellpiss more readily than I think is always fair, but part of the problem is your wording. You're not asking for advice, you're just mentioning it as a thing that's happening so people feel the need to more forcefully tell you it's dumb so you'll reverse course.

Also real question why is your gasoline budget $200 when you both work from home?