Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So quite recently I discovered this was a thing, I have a few designs which aren’t tragic and I figured what could I lose? Other than dignity? And maybe monthly money if I choose a tool which has a monthly charge but I make gently caress all sales..

It’s all new to me, so far I have discovered the drop-shipping site, and the one I am leaning toward is Printful, is not the shop, and so I also need a storefront. Right now Shopify appeals although I think I tried to set up a shop there some time ago because the store name is already taken (but hard to imagine anyone is using it) but idk. Maybe that doesn’t have to actually define urls or anything else really.

Suppose either do it half assed and have it on Etsy, or buy the URL and do the site fully in Shopify or Squarespace etc. Live pricing for shipping is highly relevant and only a few vendors do this?

If anyone has any experience I’d appreciate considerations I need to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fifty people on aliexpress will be selling them a week after you go live don't even bother

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

So quite recently I discovered this was a thing, I have a few designs which aren’t tragic and I figured what could I lose? Other than dignity? And maybe monthly money if I choose a tool which has a monthly charge but I make gently caress all sales..

It’s all new to me, so far I have discovered the drop-shipping site, and the one I am leaning toward is Printful, is not the shop, and so I also need a storefront. Right now Shopify appeals although I think I tried to set up a shop there some time ago because the store name is already taken (but hard to imagine anyone is using it) but idk. Maybe that doesn’t have to actually define urls or anything else really.

Suppose either do it half assed and have it on Etsy, or buy the URL and do the site fully in Shopify or Squarespace etc. Live pricing for shipping is highly relevant and only a few vendors do this?

Is the profit margin better on this than just using somewhere simple like Redbubble?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

Fifty people on aliexpress will be selling them a week after you go live don't even bother

lmao you think my goods are worth copying? you fool

immortalyawn posted:

Is the profit margin better on this than just using somewhere simple like Redbubble?

hmm mate idk. I'd never heard of that site until now. imagine similar margins except looks like redbubble puts your product side by side with the same kind of thing in a way I don't want to do. but it'll pay for me to explore

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you were ordering 10,000 t-shirts from China I might suggest caution, but with this sort of print-on-demand thing there aren't any significant costs, so why not give it a go?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

If you were ordering 10,000 t-shirts from China I might suggest caution, but with this sort of print-on-demand thing there aren't any significant costs, so why not give it a go?

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any specific advice, like, this vendor sucks, or avoid doing so and so..

So far I am happy with the path I have taken, by using etsy it's kept costs low, plus I am not restricted to one print site or etc. The disadvantage being I don't have my own "store", but that may just have to be a compromise I have to maintain, because it's highly unlikely this will do anything more than just trickle.. My next step is to flesh out my own site, but not necessarily as a shop, although it will absolutely link to and cooperate with my etsy store.

A legit question for example.. would a facebook page compromise my brands identity? I have my brand on twitter and instagram already, and once I receive samples I'll advertise my shop with them etc.. Need to coordinate page/blog, and social media.

And then ask myself the big question "why would anyone want to wear a rodtronics logo?" and then feel sad when the reality hits hard

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

echinopsis posted:

Shopify does have integrations with things like Printful, you just add them on as extensions or whatever. I'd think any name you pick on there would just get covered up by a custom URL anyway and those are cheap so it might be worth giving it a look. I believe they still do free trials. It worked well when we were selling shirts for our band at least, I didn't pay too close attention to how it was done but it was definitely Shopify and it worked out just fine. We also put show dates and connected our social media so it was a pretty complete site.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Through The Decade posted:

Shopify does have integrations with things like Printful, you just add them on as extensions or whatever. I'd think any name you pick on there would just get covered up by a custom URL anyway and those are cheap so it might be worth giving it a look. I believe they still do free trials. It worked well when we were selling shirts for our band at least, I didn't pay too close attention to how it was done but it was definitely Shopify and it worked out just fine. We also put show dates and connected our social media so it was a pretty complete site.

I ended up being bitterly disappointed in how I could get shopify to look, and decided that I’ll just use etsy and consider a paid store if i get regular sales. appreciate your input though. glad it worked out for you ☺️

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why not use Teepublic?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mate I don’t know lol, never heard of it. So far I’ve been using Printful, with Etsy as the shop, because it means i need gently caress all up front cash.. but I’ll check it out to see if it offers any benefits or maybe even something different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm that’s a bit like redbubble..

eh, like, my “brand” whatever that means, wouldn’t thrive in those waters. Time will tell if it was a good idea to do it the way I am vs that way, but I have a future scope that is a little bit bigger than just t-shirts or limiting myself to just what one site can do alone.. Whereas having a shop site that’s independent from the products gives me future flexibility

Thankyou though, appreciate your suggestion