Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I picked this up on sale over the weekend and its interesting, but man I hate the parrying system. I can pretty reliably land a parry with most enemies and get the flash and stagger, but even if their block stamina drops to zero its like I can't get a solid hit in after that; I still have to wear everything down with mosquito bites. At what point does this become a proper light saber, because right now it feels like I'm beating most enemies to death with a baseball bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So in an attempt to figure out how exactly the parry timing works, being a unreal engine game on a desktop PC it is relatively trivial to hack it and slow down the game throttle to half or a quarter the normal speed which better lets one see what's going on during these fast action moments. So for instance I noticed that even if you parry a Jotaz (giant blue fat monsters on zeffo) and get the perfect parry flash and sparks, it still depletes your block stamina which explains why I was always getting my rear end kicked by them. This is also why the Rabid Jotaz optional boss is terrible, because it does 3 hit attacks and even parrying a single hit almost completely depletes your block stamina so if you try to block or parry at all you're automatically going to lose half your health against it. Once I figured that out I was able to much more reliably damage them by switching from parry to dodge, duck under their arm swings and you can land one or two blows between their attacks. Basically someone said the rule was if you did a perfect parry it depletes the enemies block stamina and or damages them outright, but there are attacks and enemies that break that rule.

Other things I've noticed is the parry timing is wildly inconsistent for different attacks or even different parts of an enemies multi hit combo. A perfect parry does not interrupt an enemies combo and it seems like it *should* be possible to perfect parry an entire combo because you can parry multiple parts of a combo, but the timing is so inconsistent even in slow motion it is hard to figure out when the actual parry window for each hit is. I figured that out because if you parry the first hit in a combo, even if you immediately let off the block button Cal will maintain the "block" stance all the way until the next hit in the combo, as long as you press the block key again before the hit lands he will still block it. I have fairly regularly parried the first and third hits in a combo at least, but so far never the second. It is almost like the second hit parry window is after the hit has already landed.

I also figured out how to job the rifle purge troopers who are normally a pain in the rear end to keep in range, just open the fight with that force dash attack which instantly takes about two thirds of their health, then immediately do a force push and it staggers them again allowing you to do another attack which pretty much always kills them. Most of the time they never even get a single shot off. In general that force dash attack is a devastating opener to most enemies, pretty much only actual bosses will block or parry it on the first attempt.

Also a lot of the larger enemies have unblockable rush attacks that home in on you and are nearly impossible to dodge, if you keep some force power in reserve you can usually stop their attack and stagger them with a force push. Though I think the developers were aiming for you to use slow there, but in general force powers stop unblockable attacks.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Thom12255 posted:

I love the missions on the Imperial Starbase and the ship - that level with the hangers you can turn on and off to make the stormtroopers fly out was great. And then you got Yavin Swamps which has to be the worst map design in any game I've played.

When you figure out the quickest and easiest way to kill a force user is to quickly grab them with choke, lift them in to the air by snapping the mouse upwards, and then hitting force push to launch them into the stratosphere. They might be resistant to light sabers and can deflect bullets, but gravity is a bitch. I think I even beat one of the bosses that way several times, you couldn't push her off the platform since she would just jump back, but if you launched her high enough into the air while still making it so she would land on the platform it was an instant win. I still remember all the screaming from falling enemies in that game, also how any time you shot a storm trooper or other enemy near any sort of high ledge the game would immediately launch them off the ledge like they got hit by a truck.

Or you could also jump high over them and pull them towards you as you go overhead, especially amusing against groups of storm troopers or other non-force enemies because a well timed leap could send 7-8 of them flying and screaming for several seconds. And that was supposed to be the stealth section, good times.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Played it just fine with KB+M with slightly adjusted controls. Making mouse thumb buttons map to dodging for instance, and some autohotkey scripts for automatic button mashing when required.

I'm terrible with controllers in pretty much anything but SNES games and I am almost always more comfortable with KB+M in any game I play so take my experience with a grain of salt. This game definitely strikes me as the type that would play better using a controller if you were accustomed to one.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
With a 2500k @ 4.3 first thing I'd check is your CPU usage % and disk activity while it is happening. If either the disk or one or more CPU cores are hitting 100% utilization than that is probably the answer. Also I suppose not having enough memory could cause that kind of issue, but you would probably have bigger problems than just one game if that was the case.

Your 1070 should be perfectly fine, its buttery smooth on my 1080 which isn't *that* much bigger.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep. It's an older Samsung 850 Evo. It does it during gameplay randomly and cut scenes and freezes for 1-2 seconds sometimes while the audio continues. It's incredibly jarring.

Edit: yeah looks like 1-4 cores are all hitting 100% when it happens. Anything that can really be done short of upgrading? I'm well aware how old it is but it holds up well in everything else I've played so I'm a bit surprised at how bad it runs.

1440p/144hz (but lol in this game even on "medium" settings which is the lowest :v:)
16gb ram
i5 2500k
1tb 850 evo ssd

Yeah, disabling as many overlays as possible (xbox game bar, nvidia, steam, etc) may help free up CPU cycles for the game.

You can probably crank some of the settings up higher, since they should impact the GPU more than the CPU and it may help to slow the GPU down to a level closer to what the CPU can keep up with. Or set the in-game FPS limit lower, I think it has options for 30/60/90/120/144, perhaps try a lower one to reduce the CPU throttle.

You're definitely going to want to think about putting that 2500k out to pasture pretty soon though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GutBomb posted:

I have had this in my steam library for a while but finally got around to playing it and I can’t go more than 30 minutes without a crash to the desktop. My machine’s windows install is about 2 months old, I have the latest drivers, 9900k/2080. I will get a stutter and then about a second later CTD.

I get more crashes to desktop with EA published games than any other games. BF V, and Battlefront 2 both crashed on me a lot as well back when I was playing those.

I really like the game but having to re-play sections because it crashed really sucks. I have disabled the steam and origin in-game overlays but that didn’t do it. Anyone else have stability issues with this game?

9900k and a 1080, no issues. Game would run for hours without any stuttering (though there are a few repeatable bugs/glitches). I'd say verify the cache, but you probably just downloaded it? Try down clocking or increasing the voltage for your 2080 perhaps? This game is surprisingly GPU intensive and might just be hitting your GPU in a way that brings out the instability.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, they put a lot of focus on parrying in this game, but dodging is in a lot of ways more effective at getting hits in. Parrying correctly can quickly break an enemies guard, but a well timed dodge can let you bypass their guard entirely. And later in the game you get a skill that regenerates force power on a well timed dodge that can let you spam abilities and attacks that use the force way more often.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Star Wars games with lightsaber combat in a nutshell.

It isn't really a lightsaber, its a really glowy baseball bat that occasionally causes designated objects and non-humanoid enemies to fall in half after you bludgeon them with it enough times.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I think it technically is possible to parry every attack in an enemy combo (except the red glowy unblockable ones of course), but barring nearly frame perfect inputs it is usually better to rotate through parry, block and evade.
Kal's attacks are actually quite fast so one quick jab in between blocks/evades is a perfectly valid move against many enemies and completely bypasses their defenses if they are in the middle of a combo.
Becoming good with precision evade also refills your force meter which lets you use moves that require the force a lot more liberally, and yes; you can precision evade blaster shots, even the unblockable ones.
Most unblockable attacks can be halted/broken with a force push.
Even the regular evade can let you ignore almost any attack.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Part of it is we are still a long way from video games being able to depict a lightsaber like the movie counterpart in more ways than just combat. For instance how many times does Cal come across a locked door and goes "I can't open that" while he is carrying a laser sword that cuts through anything. An accurate to the movies lightsaber breaks game mechanics on so many levels there is not really a practical way to implement one in a game. Even open world games with lots of non-linear focus would mechanically fall apart with a movie accurate lightsaber thrown in.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I got this on sale and its kinda fun so far but I'm not quite grooving on the combat (have played a bunch of soulsborne though I'm not very good at it). I'm fighting the rabid not-rancor in the crashed Venator and it just feels very off, like my dodges don't have quite enough iframes as I think they do and also sometimes he just whacks me through a block even when hes not glowing. I think part of it is not having the timing down but I also just feel like something's off? Maybe I also need to just hunt down more secrets, I've gotten only like 1 life/force up and the stim under the landing pad on the first planet.

(Also the game doesn't seem to autosave, which is a weird step back from Souls imo)

That is one of the tougher enemies in the game (Rabid Jotaz), somewhat because of the small arena it is in. I actually was fighting it last night and managed to kill it on the third attempt. Several times I'd easily dodge all three of its swipes and then score a couple hits, then all of a sudden one of its attacks connects when you thought the timing was the same and there goes 70% of your life. Also doesn't help that just one of his combos will use up all your block stamina if you miss the parry timing. On my successful attempt I managed to get by with about 80% dodging 20% parrying and only took one hit, but it was a bit easier because I did the drop in surprise attack to start the fight which peels off a lot of his health right at the beginning.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

SlothfulCobra posted:

I got and played through the game recently, and thought I'd like to report on it.

I've got mixed feelings about the beginning Bracca is an amazing environment (that weirdly they barely reuse any assets from, not even any floating platforms), and it starts pretty well, but then the game does something kinda manipulative and I really sour on pulling that sort of thing right out the gate. It also really doesn't help that the game manages to get me to care about Prauf, and then never really does the same amount of legwork for building up the relationship between Cal and Cere or Greez. It also feels contrived that after hiding for 5 years, Cal just uses a blink of force power and all these people zoom in from across the galaxy to find him. It feels like they made the beginning when they didn't really know what the plot was going to be yet, and never went back to smooth things out.

Yeah, it took me a going through that scene a few times before I noticed the probe droid that was watching the whole time when Cal used the force to save Prauf... So they actually do explain why half the galaxy descended on Bracca and Cal right after that, but its hard to notice in the moment especially the first couple of times.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The back tracking and repeat encounters would be better if the combat in them was just a little more fun.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lego BD-1 coming soon.

Needs a version with all the upgrades too, fortunately it is lego, so not that hard to do it yourself.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tom Tucker posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the combat depth comes in upgrades and if you’re not playing completionist you’re not unlocking a ton of them. Upgraded pull let’s you straight up force choke a stormtrooper and rag doll him off a cliff, but it’s hard to get the force powers you want while also dipping into the fun lightsaber powers and buffing your survivability on higher difficulties.

In God of War 2018 the game cheats a bit with your rune skill sets and often let them interrupt enemies while you use them, while using force powers often winds up taking hits in Jedi. Running away to use a stim while spamming dodge just feels clumsy. Same issue is handled in Arkham where later games allow quick gadgets to weave them into your flow perfectly. Both games have a much more fluid feel to the combat and that fluidity happens much faster than in Jedi where you’re kinda waiting until tier 3 skills halfway through the game to feel “forceful”

All easy tuning and timing issues the sequel can likely handle well.

Yeah, force push/pull can cancel enemies unblockable attacks, but the problem is there is a delay when you try to use it that usually results in face tanking the unblockable attack first. Like all unblockable charge attacks where the enemy runs at you can be broken with a heavy force push, it will knock them right out of it, but charging a heavy force push takes almost as long as those attacks so you rarely have the time to do it. And then you run into the boss fights or the "rabid" fights where the enemies spam unblockable attacks at a dozen times the rate you can use the force to stop them. Being able to more naturally blend the force into the combat and just having more of it would be nice.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something I hope they fix in the sequel is how rocket troopers who are out of range of force powers will still deplete your force and leave you pretty much defenseless after a couple shots. If you are at close to middle range, either grabbing and pushing or just a quick push at the right time will send the rocket straight back at the rocket trooper, but at long range it just flies off at about a 20 degree angle of where you are pointed and is pretty hard to aim accurately to stop them from shooting again. Happens in a couple spots in the main game and can be pretty frustrating because there is a lot of distance to cover to get to them and a bunch of annoying melee enemies in the way that usually cause you to end up eating several rockets (though if it is some consolation, the rockets usually also kill the melee enemies too). Could be solved by just not placing rocket troopers like that in the level design, or just making the force push rocket auto return aimbot work at any range.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The main and most amusing problem with Star Wars video games that feature light sabers is they often also feature locked doors which causes the video game mechanics to clash with the lore mechanics. A magic energy sword that cuts anything and can only be blocked or repelled by other energy swords... And walls, and locked doors, and basically everything else that would break the game if you cut it as easily as a movie accurate one does. That and just the idea that some giant space rat tries to bite you, so you block its bite with a light saber which actually it bounces the rat back instead of severing its face in half instantly. But on the other hand, movie accurate light sabers are so comically broken I don't realistically think there is a way to include one in a game. It is just that unworkable with how stuff normally works in video games with gating and progression so I can give it a pass, but it is still funny.

Which is why the light saber in Fallen Order is basically a really bright glowing bat/club/staff that you use to bludgeon your enemies to death and may cause various giant space rats to spontaneously split into burned halves when they run out of HP.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I was looking over the editions of Jedi Survivor and the deluxe edition for $20 more only includes a couple extra cosmetics? Seriously?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this but the kick is so finicky and missing it means getting hit and I'm playing on hard so it's just not happening, I'm not even gonna try to get the 'kick an enemy to death without any lightsaber attacks' one because lol
That one is actually really easy if you try it on one of the rolling bugs in the first world or whatever that die in like two kicks. The melee storm troopers are also on the easy side to kick to death because of all their huge windups or tells and they don't have that much health either.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
$20 extra for two sets of cosmetics that don't even look that good sure made it the easiest skip ever.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

...! posted:

The elevators in Fallen Order are just disguising load times, much like the elevators in Mass Effect and the room doors in Metroid Prime. The only real alternative to those elevators would have been for them to have a long "Now loading..." screen, which would arguably be even more annoying.

The PS5 version of this game shouldn't need them but I can't imagine the PS4 version not needing them. And since the game design would need to be the same for both systems, I can't imagine any version of this game not having something as frustratingly long as those elevator sequences.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

When I was really annoyed by how long some of the elevator rides are in Fallen Order on PC, I used a game hacking tool with a hotkey to accelerate the game time scale 10x faster than normal during the elevator rides and the game gave no shits at all, everything was loaded without even a single hitch even with 10% the available time. The elevator rides are long enough that you could probably realistically load the assets off optical media in the time allowed. They almost certainly could have been shorter even if the game is streaming off a slow mechanical hard drive inside a underpowered console.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Not even going to bother preloading off Steam because I have 1 gigabit symmetrical internet and I probably won't have time to play it until the weekend anyway. Plus it is sometimes wise to wait a few days to see if there are any major show stopping bugs that need to be patched.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The backtracking isn't all that bad for the most part because you can respawn all the same enemies and mowing through them with upgrades is actually pretty fun. With multiple routes and shortcuts you can often even pick which enemy types you want to face in a given run, and later in the game there are occasional random encounters with the bounty hunters which can be a lot of fun when you nail it and crush them, makes you feel very Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

TheCenturion posted:

It is important to note that you have to tap the block button to parry; if you hold it down, you go into a 'block,' and when you let it go to do the next parry, you're screwed.

Took me a while to get out of 'hold it down, then release and hold it down again for the next hit' pattern.

The idea as presented in game is that if you miss the first parry, you keep holding down the block button so at least you're not taking damage. So the game assumes if you hold the block button down at all, you've given up on parrying.

A block button hold that is started during the parry window will still parry that first hit, it will just switch to blocking hits after that which with some purge troopers that have a lot of quick attacks in a chain is often the best approach. Or you can parry the first hit, block two or three more, and then release block and hold it again to parry another hit in a chain. I believe the most important thing to keep in mind about tapping to parry purge troopers is that there is some minimum time between parries/blocks and some of the attack chains happen faster than that reset time. So if you tap, you might parry the first hit but you will eat several more hits before your block/parry/stagger resets.