Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game looks okay. It doesn't look like it's trying something particularly new with gameplay, but passable. The areas they showed all look pretty small and linear. The visual style is kinda dull and dim. There's nothing particularly exciting about it.

These days a lot of the Star Wars brand feels really tiring to me because ever since the removal of the EU, if feels like they're afraid of straying too far from any canonical source material and now every vehicle, every design, every character beat is something I've already seen and there's nothing new under the sun. l liked Rebels because it really found its own stories to tell, but I really don't see what makes Cal Reegar different from the hundreds of protagonists that have come before him.

I appreciate the giant spiders at least, they're neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got and played through the game recently, and thought I'd like to report on it.

I've got mixed feelings about the beginning Bracca is an amazing environment (that weirdly they barely reuse any assets from, not even any floating platforms), and it starts pretty well, but then the game does something kinda manipulative and I really sour on pulling that sort of thing right out the gate. It also really doesn't help that the game manages to get me to care about Prauf, and then never really does the same amount of legwork for building up the relationship between Cal and Cere or Greez. It also feels contrived that after hiding for 5 years, Cal just uses a blink of force power and all these people zoom in from across the galaxy to find him. It feels like they made the beginning when they didn't really know what the plot was going to be yet, and never went back to smooth things out.

But then, a lot of what's wrong with the beginning is trying to start out thick with cutscenes when the bulk of the game was going to be a lot sparser so that the mechanics could show more. It all starts feeling better after getting past the beginning. The game feels like a real mix of a lot of influences from a bunch of other games, with maybe some of its flaws coming from why some of those things shouldn't mix. The environments are wonderful to explore, and the music is great. The combat takes a while to get my head around, but I started at Knight, turned the difficulty down for a bit, and then turned it back up once it started to click. And then as the game goes on, later bits seem better structured, and it has a much better ending than it began.

It's a little weird that the game doesn't have any DLC like every other EA game, but I'd love to see it have a sequel. Maybe they could focus on Merrin with her unique abilities to traverse the world. Or maybe they could even make a spiritual sequel with the Star Wars filed off if they can't swing the license again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think it gets that hard, but you'll definitely be climbing a lot taller things and maneuvering around big pits if that's what you're sensitive to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I they make a second Fallen Order, I'd like them to lean in harder to the Metroid Prime aspect and have more open-ended exploration. I think the game is kind of B-grade in most categories, but the whole 3D platforming exploration aspect is the one that stood out most to me. Especially since I'd give like the environmental design an A since it's just such a nice world to exist in.

They might also be able to figure out how to really pace a story next time around.

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeh if y'all want some fun melee combat to check out almost anything here is gonna be better (dear phonepost pls embed right) :

I get that whoever made this chart didn't get into the whole Souls style of combat, but why the hell are all the other Platinum games are here, but the Wonderful 101 isn't.

Also, Marlow Briggs? Really?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm looking forward to another Cal Kestis game, and maybe having figured out how the first game would be structured will mean that the sequel will be better-planned and fit together more tightly, although there's also good odds at people making a sequel just missing what people liked about the first game. I hope it's more metroid primey.

A shooter game could be just about anything, infinite possibility, but I do hate FPSes as a format, especially when you're exploring an area or telling a story about a character.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main thing I didn't like about the game was the lack of cohesiveness in the story, and it's not easy to correct for that because it's more of an artistic complaint than a mechanical flaw, but I do think that they can make the rest of the game good regardless of whether they figure that out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lego BD-1 coming soon.

Dang, how're they going to build the shoulders/hips to have a full range of motion but still be stiff enough to stand?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Fly back to Ilum after you leave for a fun visual easter egg

It's still insane to me that extended material decided that the new empire's new death star was actually a hollowed-out Ilum. Because if that had been a detail actually in the movie that would've added a lot more interest than it just being a generic planet blowing up totally unnamed planets.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there might be some kind of thing going on where they looked into the future to predict children who would have force potential.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the start of S2 of the Clone Wars there's an arc where Palpatine hires Cad Bane to steal a list of force sensitive children from the Jedi (who are storing it in a holocron in the main archives). We end up seeing some of the kids and they are basically toddlers.

And those are the kids who were specifically too young to be recruited at the time, because they're still with their families. I dunno what the magic age is supposed to be, somewhere between 3 and 9 I guess. Or maybe it was more critical that Anakin was too old more because he had done a lot harder living in that time than most kids.

There was an episode planned that was going to be about how Ahsoka got inducted into the order, but it ended up not getting made.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 8, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I understand that it's a pain to backtrack through the whole level without fast travel, but by the point in the game that you're doing that, it's mostly unnecessary for beating the game, and what you're doing by that point is squeezing the last bit of gameplay out of the game. And since the gameplay is like 25% traversal, the reward of "having more game to play through" is probably bigger than the few decorative collectibles they managed to stuff into the game.

The collectibles are pretty barebones aside from the health upgrades. I guess They kept the gameplay simple enough that there wasn't much they could leave for the player to collect that would really matter. I don't mind ponchos, but it is weird that there are just ponchos. I guess they couldn't throw in concept art because they wanted to do a whole in-engine verisimilitude thing. I also felt like the writing in the databank entries and the psychometry stories was kinda bland. The game does kinda have a feel like it's missing a chunk, but I guess it's just lucky that there wasn't some kind of severe monetization scheme.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also Ezra Bridger's lightsaber in Rebels. It had some kind of gun built into it, but I think it was only some kind of stun shot, not the full power of a blaster. There might've been some kind of directive that Ezra couldn't have a "real" gun so long as he was a kid. Like before he built his saber he had some kind of lovely slingshot thing.

I'm fine with Cal not getting a gun so long as the game stays gameplay-driven.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's an interesting idea to add a gun, but I hope that they balance it out to keep the lightsaber combat as the star instead of the blaster becoming dominant.

Although if Cal does ditch his lightsaber to focus on the blaster, then he can fully do Kyle Katarn's character development in reverse and his final act can be to steal the Death Star plans.

ninjahedgehog posted:

All I want is like 90% fewer animal fights

They did add variety. Maybe there can be more gangs or bounty hunters to break up the stormtrooper battles instead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just a funky-rear end moon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The story doesn't hold together very well, but the gameplay is fun, and the environments are pretty, so it's just really nice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically there's also a few mobile games that are supposed to be canon, but nobody cares about them and I think they've been discontinued anyways.

The old EU has a tendency of regularly leaking into the new EU anyways. The Knights of the Old Republic games keep having details make it into current works, and the Old Republic MMO is still ongoing and getting updates, which might mean it's still canon as well. Dash Rendar is technically a canon character because of a couple boardgames.

But the true rules of canon have always been that you can pay attention to or ignore whatever you want, because the biggest most "official" works will do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this card means that Kyle Katarn technically does exist in the new canon.

But technically that also doesn't establish him as a jedi either.