Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game is really good, this thread is sorta bad. Really, that's the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lead Psychiatry posted:

So, bounty hunters...

-Fought and lost to Murdie in the caverns of Zeffo where you meet the first Jotaz, which led to the arena fight on whatever that small meteoroid is called
-Beat JNX-whatever in the abandoned workshop in Bogano
-Beat some duo on Kashyyyk, beneath the AT-ST fight area with the elevator

Is this the extent of them?

There's a bunch more.

Duo in the Jedi Temple entrance on Ilum when you go back
Duo on the wrecked ship on Zeffo near the generators
Duo with a jetpack guy at the entrance to the tomb on Dathomir
Another Duo right next to the landing pad on Zeffo in that abandoned storage area with the shortcut door to the village
Duo in that elevator area on Zeffo where they showed the Purge trooper fight in that first gameplay demo
Duo on the long landing pad on the cliffs on Zeffo
Duo in the big landing area where you last see Saw and fight the AT-ST on Kashyyyk

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They never give you a reason why everything respawns, do they? (asking seriously as I haven't beaten the game) Even Demons/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne at least gave you a flimsy-rear end reason involving multiple dimensions and rekindled flames and dreams and stuff.

The previous attempt where you died was you meditating on the future as one possible outcome. The outcome where you succeed is always the "real" version of events with all those others being the shifting futures that Yoda warns Luke about in ESB.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Finally finished it, and man... that ending. :stare:

Was a wild ride all the way through. gently caress the haters, I loved it. It's in my top 5 SW games list at this point. It wasn't the same kind of game as Jedi Knight, but that's okay, it still scratched a lot of those same itches.

Hope it sold well enough to warrant Respawn getting to do more with the license. That was great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

Are the rebels and other animated shows good? I've got a free sub to Disney+ for a couple of months.

Very.

Clone Wars isn't quite required viewing for Rebels, but you will get a LOT more out of it if you watch the Clone Wars movie and then the CGI cartoon afterward. Plus, most of the Clone Wars cartoon is excellent, to boot.

The Empire era Star Wars stuff is honestly the only good Star Wars stuff coming out from Disney thus far, Mandalorian excluded.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Stop playing on Grand Master and just play on Jedi Master. It's the perfect Sekiro-Lite experience.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL no it isn’t not remotely. There isn’t a single boss fight in this game that comes close to that experience. Parrying in this game is basically optional, and even on Jedi Master it’s just slower and generates less force than just swapping to DBL and killing everything without having to block or dodge.

Also notice how in Sekiro enemies stagger meter is a finite resource that you can whittle away over time, in this game enemies can just fully reset their stamina with certain moves which means that unless you perfect parry their entire combo it’s a waste of time.

What part of Lite was lost on you?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Just had the second fight with Second Sister and good lord the saber duels in this game are fantastic. Absolute peak so far, gameplay-wise.

Also great story-wise, because Second Sister's VA is just having the absolute time of their life every time they open their mouth and I love it.

edit: Is she going to poo poo-talk me for this entire tomb/dungeon? Please tell me she is. :allears:

Yeeeeeep!

They do a lot to spice up what is basically always you Zelda/Darksidering through a place, while keeping it in story.

gently caress the haters, I enjoyed the plot and the characters overall immensely.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Considering this is their first foray into third person from making ONLY FPSes, it's serviceable. Here's hoping they learn some things and maybe patch in the first DLC or just get more polish on the sequel.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Disney official sabers suck, there's like 3 or 4 companies that make them according to a cursory search on Google and also apparently competitive lightsaber dueling IRL is a thing?! :confused:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

VolticSurge posted:

So, just beat the Ninth Sister . Classic Souls luck for me-fight kicked my rear end until that final attempt where I was gonna give up and complain on the internet about it,when I somehow beat it.

No, classic Souls is you DO go complain and then immediately on your next attempt you crush it and make it look easy and then feel like an rear end in a top hat for posting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you tap dodge with no direction input you actually get the best dodge option with the most iframes for the vast majority of attacks. It's also that specific Matrix dodge move that you can get a skill for so it straight regens your force bar. It's not intuitive to FROM veteran mindset AT ALL, but holy poo poo once you get good with it you not only look loving awesome but become a ridiculous goddamn badass who can prance around batons and then hurl guys off cliffs with the pull/push combo.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. On guys who you can't straight push because they have brace moves, you can pull them to get them off the ground and THEN push them immediately and they'll go flying like any other mook.

Now go, young padawan. Become a telekinetic god.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jabro posted:

No that’s it. I don’t know what more you could want though. You did what you set out to do.

This. I don't understand the people saying the ending just happens out of nowhere, the pacing and buildup was very clear and that finale bit was edge of your seat poo poo. What the gently caress were you guys expecting?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dessel posted:

Yeah the long-winded leaping charge attack gives you an insta-kill animation prompt when you parry it where Cal jumps on the spider and stabs it. I wonder if there are other similar ones in the game.

There are. The lesser whatever the fucks on Dathomir will flinch and stumble if you parry every one of their attack combo chain.

Edit: goddammit

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Adaptabullshit posted:

Which is the best version? PC? XBONEX?

It's always PC unless the port is bad. (It was developed on PC first)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

The loving jet pack motherfuckers are the worst though, and there’s at least one random fight when you fight two of the fuckers. I didn’t really encounter them enough times to get a feel for how to counter them though. They’ll shoot you with their rifle so you can reflect that back but beyond that I suppose you’re probably supposed to use force push/pull to knock them to the ground? Because most of the fights I did have with them was just dodging their rockets and flamethrower.[/spoiler]

You can push them into walls to briefly damage their jetpack, but the best move is the charging rush when you hold heavy attack but you do that changup jump over them and hit them in the jetpack for stupid damage. You do that when they land, obviously. When they're flying doing quick/partly charged Pushes and Pulls will throw off their trajectory enough to force them to land. Also when they do the flamethrower charge if you push them they will always fall down. You can actually finish them off exceedingly fast that way by throwing your saber, pushing them, and doing that charge and then a regular/split combo while they're slowly getting up off the ground. Single saber is better vs them because unlike the double your regular attacks come out fast and will flinch them, plus you just do more damage to alpha them down.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 22, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

You can just force pull the flying one and kill it easily

On higher difficulties they will jet backward to slow themselves and start blasting you in the face with the flamethrower.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it impossible to return to the second tomb? I can't get past the forcefield where I fought Second Sister.

You can take the elevator down from the Imperial Headquarters. Run ALL the way along the cliff to the big tower. Also there's a chest hidden up there behind the elevator.

JBP posted:

Storm troopers are clones of an idiot.

No, Clone Troopers are.

Stormtroopers are all jsut regular people who were either conscripted or enlisted in the Imperial Military. Shortly after the Republic falls and the Empire is established, they phase out the clone troopers because it stopped being economically feasible to keep producing them and they were all dying of old age as they aged at double the rate of standard humans. It also lowered unemployment and thus you could turn what would be an unemployed and hard to manage unhappy population into your strongarm enforcers who murder people for you and keep poo poo in check.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sekiro combat meeting Metroid exploration with a dedicated narrative throughout is a gameplay setup that has been woefully missing from gaming. Hell, Metroidvanias with good storylines in general are rare, the two grandaddies of the genre both had mediocre storytelling that was just a start point and an end point, with no actual development in between.

Definitely think it was a bold move on Respawn's part when they could have just thrown together a mission based TPS with the Star Wars brand and a decent story and it still probably would have been pretty well received as hearkening back to the glory days of SW gaming.

Unrelated, but the people complaining about the map design have me really confused, because maps are something I have always paid a lot of attention to and the way some of the planets (Zeffo and Bogano, particularly, but mainly Zeffo) wrap around themselves and have multiple links between all the areas (and in the case of Zeffo a pretty decent variety of terrain types) is actually really drat impressive. The fact that you can get back to basically anywhere in each map is also really impressive. Zeffo is straight beautifully designed, and the subtle touches of being able to often see landmarks like the wing of the Mantis or the huge spire of the first tomb from various places on the map was actually the most FROM like thing about the game, and one of the major reasons Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro were so drat good for me. I loved how that big masher in the Weathered Hilltop is the same thing that is bashing on the ice ceiling in the ice caves below it, and the way the various areas link, albeit often with just simple elevators (DS1 did the exact same thing) was very cool. Kashyyyk's map was probably the least interesting once you left the refinery areas, but that also served its purpose in a narrative sense. The fact that they mixed and matched the honeycomb vs linear setpiece layouts throughout was a great balance and kept it interesting.

I hope in the inevitable sequel they take it a step further with the area design and do stuff like having the levels slowly evolve over time. I kept waiting for that ice to finally break and reveal a new shortcut between those areas, as well as maybe a deeper area below the Ice Caves. When you head back to the two planets with built in "breaks" to the story, I had similarly hoped that more than just the spawns would change and some of the areas would actually change around and evolve with the story. That sorta stuff would be rad.

Re: difficulty, the devs themselves said the game was actually designed around Jedi Master and that's the "correct" difficulty to play at, balance wise. The other difficulty levels were all spun off that base difficulty and were not tested as much.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 23, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/10/19/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-difficulty/amp/

Source, re: Jedi Master being the difficulty level it was designed around. GM is the "even harder" mode they mention. The extra difficulty modes were added literally 6 months ago, after the game was basically 95% finished.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You get another stim, so the loot isn't total crap, not by a long shot. Also the area has a cool design and there's some neat puzzles.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Beat the game. I understand what they were going for in the ending but destroying the holocron still felt a little abrupt. Everyone silently agreed that this is what needed to be done but aside from Cal’s visions there wasn’t really much to suggest the other characters would agree. So I guess the problem is less for the player and more for the in-universe explanation.

I also think that the latest Star Wars stuff turning Vader into some unstoppable dervish of destruction that can tear anything in his way literally apart continues to feel off but you do need that wall running in the final section I suppose. Nothing will ever be as bad as pulling a star destroyer out of the sky.

Also I ended the game with basically no health (would have been very funny if that final regular stormtrooper before the lift managed to hit me) and the low health heartbeat effect/sound persisted throughout the credits.

It was more that they all trusted Cal's decision at that point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

OhFunny posted:

I'm having a good time so far with Fallen Order.

There's been some stuttering and the game frozen completely once on me. Might just be that my PC is to old. Both CPU and GPU are at 100% even at the lowest settings.

Also did they really name the settings Medium, High, and Epic? Like com'n

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

The game does stutter whenever it loads a new area, which is about every couple minutes, and it annoys me every time.

I never had any loading issues at all, for what it's worth. Running off an SSD on PC, are you both doing the same?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Managed to snag some ultra rare trophies on PS4. I don’t know if I’ll ever manage the one where you defeat someone with kicks only because inevitably I slash with my lightsaber.

Find a regular scout, stand still and tap neutral dodge every time they attack, then attack right after to kick. Works best near cliffs because falling to their death counts. There's a well placed one on Zeffo in that first village area.

Incidentally that dodge has the most iframes of any of them, it seems, and you can dodge unblockable attacks with it pretty easily. Embrace your inner Neo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

Basic Droid 1 so interesting

BUDDY DROID #1

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skasion posted:

whyyyyy are two of the tombs on one planet and ones on another. this bothered me

Because the last dude was Hitler.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That's a 5 year old video card.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The puzzle design overall in this game was great. There were only a handful of block pushing puzzles overall and the puzzles in general required some entertaining combos of Force Power usage which was usually either straight utilized for something else prior or made very clear simply by way of video game logic (aka I just got this power so clearly it is the solution to the follow up puzzle). I thought it expanded on itself pretty well.

Honestly? The biggest flaw of this game is distracting you with Dathomir as early as they did... seems the people that went there first all had a worse takeaway overall, either with the double saber or just the pacing of stuff. I think they should have put that wall inscription for Dathomir inside Cordova's workshop after the first tomb, at the same time you get the double saber.

Basically, Bogano -> Zeffo + 1st Tomb -> Bogano and workshop -> Zeffo, Dathomir, or Kashyyyk, take your pick.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 3, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skasion posted:

This game is no more linear than Dark Souls 3

Yeah, this. Other than Souls 1 (which also kinda had a "linear" path, though it allowed for a lot more sequence breaking), they've all been pretty linear.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

precision posted:

I think goons sometimes lose sight of what other people think. To most people, this is a very good game and they don't even know how to spell Sekiro. When I stopped at gamestop to pick up a Christmas present yesterday there were like 10 people talking about how awesome this game is

Even if you've played Sekiro this is a good game.

Hot take: goons are obnoxiously negative about games and love to cry about how much value they're getting from what is actually a relatively cheap form of entertainment, comparatively.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Promethium posted:

As far as I can tell the timing slowdown skill only triggers on non-directional dodges.

This is correct, you need to Matrix dodge, not roll.

I feel like I'm reposting this every drat page, but the neutral matrix dodge has the most iframes of any evasion move in this game, can regen Force with the skill, looks awesome when you dodge a flurry of attacks perfectly, and lets you straight face tank like 90% of the unblockable attacks in the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

From my point of view it's the Jedi game that's bad!

WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Promethium posted:

That is really strange because I am trying it right now on scout troopers and I absolutely cannot get the force restoration effect to trigger with the directional sidestep (i.e. holding a direction when pressing dodge once, not rolling), even though I do get some iframes. I do notice that when they go for the slow overhead swing and I press non-directional dodge, Cal will actually sidestep it without my directional input; otherwise against the horizontal swings he does a backstep.

That's because it doesn't actually trigger from directional dodges and the final boss has slow downs on dodges for either cinematic effect or your framerate dropping, who the hell knows.

Neutral dodge is what regenerates Force and gives you slow down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SSX Cal Kesty

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This game needed more NPCs with side quests for you to do for various side benefits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Great, it only took me posting about it on like every page for the last 2 weeks for people to finally figures out precision dodge is the poo poo. :rolleyes:

But yeah, it can even just flat NOPE damage from red unblockable attacks. It's awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm gonna have to play through it again with this in mind, but does it really tell you that outright in-game? Because I never noticed, and defaulted to just rolling around because it felt like it was doing the same thing. But I'm a dumb at games so I may have missed obvious stuff.

It's only specific red attacks. It won't protect you from Force powers or projectiles, but most melee attacks you can just iframe through. Some of them like those big things on Dathomir who do the big slam you may also still get hit but I think that's because there's a shockwave component to the attack?

Vs almost all the troopers you can use it, though, and it's drat fun to see the dual wield assholes try to do that jump attack and you casually sidestep it and then heavy triangle slam them in their face. The move always gives you exactly enough force power to do that heavy overhead and I don't think that's an accident.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

You can always use it. It just doesn’t grant force boost and slowdown until you get that skill.

This.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean that other one you mention was also a victim of circumstance and necessity too.

From a certain point of view.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm reminded of Darksiders 3, which tried to change up the combat style initially and made that scar same mistake. They had to patch in a "Classic" combat mode which let you dodge and whatnot to cancel attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

I hope they make this one actually good.

I have the same response when I see you've posted in a thread. Still hoping.