Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Castle Story - Non copyright infringement yellow minions

So let me get this straight, you’ve gven me a group of lovable yellow creatures who speak gibberish and are industrious but a bit stupid, but I’m not allowed to call them minions? I have to call them Bricktrons? Why?
Uh hu, Copyright laws, yeah, Unions? Wait, These guys are unionised?

Looks more like a budding monarchy to me. Okay, so what do you want me to do?
Go to a new area build a castle for the glory of Bricktopia. Try not to die.
What? Die? To what?
Evil corrupted Bricktrons with a thirst for crystals. Like the one your using to teleport us in?

Great. Why was this position open agian?
The death of the previous incumbent. Figure.

Right lads! Onto the teleportation circle! We have a job to do!

What is Castle Story?

Castle story is a Sauropod Games game in which you mine resources, build castles and generally make things look cool.

Then these Grey bastards come and knock everything down.

I will be playing in invasion mode to begin with, where I have to stave off assault after assault while trying to rebuild defences - the early waves will be easy, but as time goes on, resources will become harder to get and the waves will get bigger.
At some point I will die.

After that, I will try Conquest mode, where you are trying to capture crystals and expand your hold on the floating island.

Sandbox mode could be interesting, but I’m not sure how much interest there would be in it.

This is a bit different to your normal LP’s

Being British, I have always had a deep love of finding untamed and beautiful areas, and exploiting the gently caress out of them.
I don’t know why, but I equally love the look of the pristine areas that games like this give you, the look of an area no one has ever visited before, then I get my minions to work and three hours later there is blood and vomit everywhere and a beating industrial heart.

So I decided to indulge that part of me, with a series of “lets build” LP’s - Castle Story may be the first, but there are others I’d like to try - Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines, Transport Tycoon, hell, maybe even Dwarf Fortress. Some will be video LPs, others screenshot LP’s. Depends on my time limits and how the game plays.

But for now, lets see how long my Bricktrons last.

Part 1

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh man, when you posted this thread in the WITP I actually said "oh gently caress yeah" out loud.

This is the perfect game for mumbly British dudes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seems suspiciously... dwarf fortressy. But polished, and focused on the defense type game? I like it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

I don’t know why, but I equally love the look of the pristine areas that games like this give you, the look of an area no one has ever visited before, then I get my minions to work and three hours later there is blood and vomit everywhere and a beating industrial heart.

So, dwarf fortress.

:iit:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I do like the game.

But really, there is nothing like finding a verdant wilderness and digging it up looking for gold.

In this case, iron and brimstone.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well this is quite interesting.

Grey, may I suggest Rise to Ruins as another game in this vein:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/328080/Rise_to_Ruins/

It's charming pixelmans exploiting resources in a day/night and seasonal cycle that get slaughtered by pixel slimes, ghosts and zombies at night.
You are your villager's guardian deity with magic powers allowing you to even help out directly with several types of spells.
And all the various maps are connected on the world map: you start new villages by sending people and resources from an adjacent map.

Oh yeah, and rubbish collection is actually very important for your magic economy and the safety of your population.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Looks good. I'll add that to my list!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If you're looking for Let's Build, please consider Prison Architect.

It seems like Edgy Teen Shock Value in the extreme, I know, but it's also possible to do Nice And Good prisons. More importantly, it has a really detailed interface wih loads of stuff to adjust and get your grog on

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 2!

Wave one done, lets get some walls up!

simplefish posted:

It seems like Edgy Teen Shock Value in the extreme, I know, but it's also possible to do Nice And Good prisons. More importantly, it has a really detailed interface wih loads of stuff to adjust and get your grog on

Yeah, I've played some PA, and it could work.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 22, 2019

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Do you ever get more minions bricktrons or are you limited to your initial cohort?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 3

The walls become more functional, and I start to have resource problems.

Decoy Badger posted:

Do you ever get more minions bricktrons or are you limited to your initial cohort?

Yeah, they spawn in slowly - killing Coruptrons gives you more life points to get them quicker.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 22, 2019

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I remember seeing posts about Castle Story in Games way back, possibly from one of the developers. I always really liked the look of it, and your videos are doing a pretty good job of convincing me that I'd enjoy playing it. Not that I needed yet another game to add to my shopping list, but oh well :)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So I think it’s possible to cover a door directly by using two 2x1 bricks on each side. The wall is looking good, but you could use some murder holes so your archers can hit enemies beating on the door.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I've had a few days since I played, and I do think that front door needs some work.

The whole strip mining one flank works though, but I'm not sure how gamey it is!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given how the game deals with sightlines you'd probably really benefit from some ravelins or redoubts in front of the main wall.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, they start to go up in a couple of videos. But the waves are ramping up, and it's getting tough.

I'm learning fast, and will do another round to see if I've improved any.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The gate should not give enemies cover from your archers. It's a bad castle design IRL and it seems to be a bad castle design in this game as well.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Just skip ahead to star forts, never mind mucking about with crenelations and murder holes. Does the game have canister shot ricochet modeled?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm surprised this game finally came out and appears fairly complete and playable. The kickstarter looked pretty cool when it dropped like 5+ years ago, but last I checked the game was in development hell and the game's subreddit was just a bunch of dudes bitching about the devs. Is this worth picking up or is this another case of devs declaring an early access game finished, slapping a 1.0 on it, and running off to the next project?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

simplefish posted:

Have they rebalanced PA so it is no longer vastly more profitable to ignore the prisoners and make an enormous logging camp instead?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Decoy Badger posted:

Just skip ahead to star forts, never mind mucking about with crenelations and murder holes. Does the game have canister shot ricochet modeled?

Sorry, on what world would you shoot canister at a star fort?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

How else do you clean redcoats off the walls?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This game has been around for quite some time and I've been in since the ground floor. I've even become friends with one of the devs since I interviewed him for a paper I was writing. Watching development of this game has been a whirlwind of emotions so it's nice to see it get some air time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 4 - in which I finally figure out I need towers!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 22, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

360p only or is that just my computer?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

360p only or is that just my computer?

Youtube takes a while to get the HD video up and running after an upload.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

well it needs to hurry up! (lol) :f5:

does Grey ever figure out that the healing wards on his walkway behind the crenelations are blocking movement? and that's why his bricktrons keep walking outside to get to the top of his tower?

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 19, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

well it needs to hurry up! (lol) :f5:

does Grey ever figure out that the healing wards on his walkway behind the crenelations are blocking movement? and that's why his bricktrons keep walking outside to get to the top of his tower?

lol I was wondering the same thing

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Other way around, shoot canister along an edge from an interior vertex and clear out those dastardly wall huggers. Some forts were designed for that exact scenario.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
*blocks walls with healing ward*

*two far sentries disconnected*

*hovers mouse over corner crenelations for the tower only to pick the straight one*

*builds pylon in the middle of the road*

*builds stairs for outer tower inside pit*

smh

that said i sucked at this game when I tried it some time back, looking forward for more

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

bagual posted:

*blocks walls with healing ward*

*two far sentries disconnected*

*hovers mouse over corner crenelations for the tower only to pick the straight one*

*builds pylon in the middle of the road*

*builds stairs for outer tower inside pit*

smh

that said i sucked at this game when I tried it some time back, looking forward for more

All valid critisms. Lets hope I survive long enough to correct them.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Don't worry, your position is good enough i think, the worst thing that can happen is the brickos moving the ward but failing to remove the outer stairwell before a wave, and even then it's pretty safe with the melee guys.

i wonder if you can just build a stone box around that pylon to bait the baddies so they stay in open ground :thunk:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

All valid critisms. Lets hope I survive long enough to correct them.

It's a really good LP Grey. I'm serious.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Does it matter if you lay proper interlocking blocks? If you just lay them straight on each other, will it result in a lovely weak wall, or is the difference purely aesthetic?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So as someone completely unfamiliar with this game is building outposts for gathering resources a thing in invasion mode or is the idea that everything needs to come back to your starting point to defend it anyways? Would enemies attack stuff outside their path to your base?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pierzak posted:

Does it matter if you lay proper interlocking blocks? If you just lay them straight on each other, will it result in a lovely weak wall, or is the difference purely aesthetic?

Yes, it very much matters. The individual blocks have physics and the strongest walls have interlocking blocks. I usually lay 2 thick walls using the occasional block across instead of using the half-blocks. The bastards will attack individual blocks to break through your walls, a well constructed one means it won't collapse after a couple break.

Kibayasu posted:

So as someone completely unfamiliar with this game is building outposts for gathering resources a thing in invasion mode or is the idea that everything needs to come back to your starting point to defend it anyways? Would enemies attack stuff outside their path to your base?
They beeline for your big blue crystal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does building a half-block actually use up a whole block of stone, or does the game refund the other half-block?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 5

Project overrun! I have a idea, it kinda works! so I make things worse trying to fix the first problem.

Things get hard when your up against a timer! which is why it's fun!

Leperflesh posted:

Does building a half-block actually use up a whole block of stone, or does the game refund the other half-block?

I think it uses a whole block.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 22, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is it possible to build a bridge over to the top of a tower like that one you were laying down at the end of that video, instead of needing a whole wall going all the way? Similarly, could you just build arches instead of needing the travel wall to be solid the whole way down?

If one of these is possible, maybe you could build your way across to those stockpiles on the top of the other plateau by building towers and bridges across the gap, which would also give you places from which you could shoot down on approaching enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Is there a reason your not mining out the reasouces in the hills beside your base?