Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I assume because doing so will create another avenue of attack.

Grey Hunter you may want to just get rid of those sentries that you are building a tower to help defend as I assume that the only reason why the enemies are destroying the hill there is that they are being aggroed into trying to tunnel into your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Oh cool, this game was one of several I Kickstarted and completely lost the will to pick up when finally available. It looks really fun though and seems to be a straight forward representation of the bit of Dwarf Fortress I enjoyed the most.

It does look like the build/tech tree is quite shallow mind. Have we pretty much seen all the individual components at this point?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Part 6 - Things go a little wrong.....

So, I may need to restart soon! so lets pick a new map.

Helix is snow covered with a large central mountain.

Plateau Mont Royale is fairly standard.

Invictus puts you on a high central area.

Riverains has a premade castle where you can never use it.

Acerabo is a bowl with you stuck in the center.

Orsi Valley has a fairly strong defensive postion.

Zuma is a small map.

Exile.

And finally, Troubled heaps.

Please vote on which map you would like to see next.

Fwoderwick posted:

Oh cool, this game was one of several I Kickstarted and completely lost the will to pick up when finally available. It looks really fun though and seems to be a straight forward representation of the bit of Dwarf Fortress I enjoyed the most.

It does look like the build/tech tree is quite shallow mind. Have we pretty much seen all the individual components at this point?

Yeah, there are a few more things, but this is the bulk of it.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 22, 2019

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Helix is the obvious choice. If you can move your core to the mountain that would be cool.

There are some steam workshop maps, so if those are valid, then I nominate Helm's Deep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Helix looks cool.

Also Grey, I think one problem you're running into is you keep giving your guys new build tasks before they've finished the old ones, so you end up with a bunch of half-finished castle bits that don't help at all, or might even hurt you (I'm betting that in the next episode, some enemies are going to use your half-finished outer wall layer as stairs and just hop up right onto your outer wall). I think if you focused on getting one build task completed before starting the next one, you'll have a stronger castle and each part will be finished more quickly as well, because your guys are focusing on building on piece instead of spreading their efforts over three or four.

Also it pained me to see your guys taking such a long way around going in and out of that pit they were getting trapped in, when all those problems would have been solved if you'd put the staircase in the near corner when you planned it.

Overall looks like a super fun game!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Helix does look cool, but I think the Bricktrons may have been just a little bit better of putting their blue crystal at the top of the mountain rather than at the bottom.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just tried to give this game another chance.
Is there some reasonably efficient way to dig a staircase into a mountain, starting from the bottom? Or are you really supposed to build a stone staircase up and then quarry down in the middle?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

VictualSquid posted:

I just tried to give this game another chance.
Is there some reasonably efficient way to dig a staircase into a mountain, starting from the bottom? Or are you really supposed to build a stone staircase up and then quarry down in the middle?

Slam a quarry down at the too and use the pre-made stairs the come with it when to drag it down to your level. Then tunnel to the bottom of the shaft.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 7 - I get to the point where I can take suggestions! but can I survive being three men down?

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 23, 2019

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
The tower just wasn't meant to be. :(

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The reveal of that damage was pretty drat hilarious though

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
GH, can you put update numbers in the post images, or at least in captions above them? You don't have any numbering in the update posts, no list of updates in the OP, and they don't seem to be part of a single playlist that's easy to browse. It's making it needlessly hard to check if a video is the next one or if I have missed any in the meantime :ohdear:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 22, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

GH, can you put update numbers in the post images, or at least in captions above them? You don't have any numbering in the update posts, no list of updates in the OP, and they don't seem to be part of a single playlist that's easy to browse. It's making it needlessly hard to check if a video is the next one or if I have missed any in the meantime :ohdear:

Numbered and put in the OP!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Numbered and put in the OP!
That'll help, thanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 8.

That wasn't so bad, now I can pretty up the front a bit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 9. Things go a bit wrong when the Corruptrons find a way to breach my walls.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Do you have the option of digging moats, or does that just give the baddies the option of undermining your walls?

Also just bought the game after watching the LP! Just mucked around in sandbox so far.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is there a reason your not just walling over to your new tower?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can you build over a bottomless chasm in any way, like a bridge started from the sides or something? Conversely, can you dig so deep that the bottom of the floating island falls out and the pit becomes bottomless?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/-uKUnFHsnQw

Phone won't letme do the image link properly!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/F-AyPqAIey0

They keep making new holes in my castle!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

doom

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/wnpkx8vGa7s

Part 12.

Things all come crashing down as I can't hold off the inevitable any longer. I've learned a few things though, and I'm looking forward to having another crack on Saturday night!

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
You only just made it over the 5 hour mark as well.

Other than no towers outside of the walls, what else would you do differently?

Have you used the bear traps at all?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Are there any weapons that knock back enemies? Flinging them off the edge of the map or into a stone cubicle like the enemy did to your guys could be a very cost-efficient defense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My take from watching the videos, but not owning the game:

-I'd try to wall off the edges and holes of the map where my own guys might get flung. Put something to save them from that
-I'd try to put defensive things like those crystals with more careful positioning. In particular, knowing the bad guys knock down walls, I'd keep them off the outermost layer of bricks. I'd also position healing thingies so they cover the ground where you wind up fighting, not the parapets where your guys are pretty much safe from injury. 99% of your combat in which your guys were getting hurt took place outside the sphere of a healing crystal
-I'd try to focus on one construction at time. Splitting time between 2+ constructions was really costly
-Repairing and rebuilding constructions without external stair access was super inefficient and sometimes got blocked for ages. It's not enough to have a temporary stair on the outside of a tower or wall only for initial construction if that wall subsequently comes under attack and the bricktrons placing the first row of repair bricks can then no longer get to the rest/get stuck.
-don't queue up 10 things when what you really need right now is 2 of them. Uses up limited resources that you might have a more urgent need for soon
-have a lot more weapons sets than bricktrons at all time, because when they die you lose a set of weapons.
-consider actually replacing the oldest/weakest weapon sets?
-Leaving the door locked or unlocked cost a lot of time several times.
-Standing repair orders are dangerous. Unarmored bricktrons run to damaged areas that are still under attack to try to repair them.
-I bet deconstructing an abandoned tower is more efficient at brick recovery than digging for new stone?

I'm probably wrong about at least some of these but if I were in GH's position this is what I'd be thinking about for round 2

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'd also say that he was doing call to arms way too early. His guys would be standing around for two mins before the enemy arrived. With only 10 mins between waves, that's a lot of time wasted. Calling it just after the wave starts would probably be fine

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I think the wards were really underappreciated. It seems that if you have enough of them then you won't have to have the minions fighting, meaning they can use the time to make more wards.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also build more interlocking structures especially with the towers.

Can you build a curtain wall thst just slows the bad guys down while you shoot at them from the fortress proper?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All good ideas.

There is a catapult i never used, and i want to get one of those going next map if I can.

I got a good feel for things this time, but mistakes were made. I'll definitely call to arms later, the build time is crucial.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A new castle begins, this time in the frozen north!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Wall, Part 2

I decide to lay with bombs, things blow up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Look what a properly looking economy looks like!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
You lost less walls than i did the first time i played with bombermen

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Your little guy sounds absolutely miserable.

Hope he feels better soon.

Also your one-brick thick tower walls are still just going to come down once someone takes a corner out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Your little guy sounds absolutely miserable.

Hope he feels better soon.

Also your one-brick thick tower walls are still just going to come down once someone takes a corner out.

Yeah, hes at the scabby phase of chickenpox now - but at this stage he was fine until he stopped moving, then he just hurt.

I had my first full nights sleep in a week last night!

The 1 brick tower should be ignored as it doens't get them closer to the crystal, but should still shoot them in the back!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

The 1 brick tower should be ignored as it doens't get them closer to the crystal, but should still shoot them in the back!

it's outside your walls, so later on you'll either have to abandon its ruins, or be outside the walls repairing the tower during attacks, and the same issue of getting power, climbing the tower to repair it, cleaning up the mess, and plus the tower provides cover for the bad guys from your own guys and wards on your walls. Exactly like last time...

Perhaps build towers inside your walls and create overhangs that lets them shoot at dudes attacking your doorway?

This side view shows your bricktron on your continuous outside curtain wall, behind him is a narrow tower one brick wide that overhangs with a sentinel ward at the very top, so it can rain fire down on the guys at your door but they can't knock it down without getting past your outermost walls first. And you can repair it from within your wall.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Or do what real castles did and build towers into your walls, so they stick out and can fire on enemies attacking your walls, but are still part of the castle structure and can be repaired from inside.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I should do that when I'm building my inner keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

vyelkin posted:

do what real castles did and build towers into your walls, so they stick out and can fire on enemies attacking your walls, but are still part of the castle structure and can be repaired from inside.

You mean to tell me that wasn't just to look cool?