Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Is there a reason you don't put stockpiles and quarys closer to your walls, so the guys have less distance to walk. Just from seeing your guys walking huge distances with logs on their backs.

Edit: ok you noticed this and added stockpiles later.

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Wibbleman posted:

Is there a reason you don't put stockpiles and quarys closer to your walls, so the guys have less distance to walk. Just from seeing your guys walking huge distances with logs on their backs.

Edit: ok you noticed this and added stockpiles later.

Yeah. its one of those things that slipped my mind for a bit. My quarries are mainly being used strategically atm, so their placement is not optimal for travel time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah. its one of those things that slipped my mind for a bit. My quarries are mainly being used strategically atm, so their placement is not optimal for travel time.

Maybe a cutting block near the catapults. So you can get the wood there faster as well. I am gonna guess that the low efficiency is gonna catch you out in the later waves. As it will take too long to repair stuff.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I feel confident enough to start work on the inner keep.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I just tried to give this game another chance.
Is there some reasonably efficient way to dig a staircase into a mountain, starting from the bottom? Or are you really supposed to build a stone staircase up and then quarry down in the middle?

This game looked terrible at the Kickstarter launch but is pretty fun now. Thanks for sharing it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Wall holds! and looks pretty good to!

i81icu812 posted:

This game looked terrible at the Kickstarter launch but is pretty fun now. Thanks for sharing it.

Yeah, I backed, but the original game was far to fiddly to work. the Devs have done good work on fixing it up though.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

right at the start of the video, they keep helpfully putting the tree stumps back.

edit: do you need to put repeat on your logs into planks thing. your catapult is sitting there half done.

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 6, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman posted:

right at the start of the video, they keep helpfully putting the tree stumps back.

edit: do you need to put repeat on your logs into planks thing. your catapult is sitting there half done.

yeah, i think i figure this out next vid.

I have no idea why they keep putting the stumps back!

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Could the tree stumps be in range of a repair task you have for the wall?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mighty Steed posted:

Could the tree stumps be in range of a repair task you have for the wall?

That may well be it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

That may well be it.

This was incredibly annoying till I figured this out myself

You can also micro a single dude to chop trees manually which was really nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

God drat bomb guys.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

The Wall holds! and looks pretty good to!

Yeah, I backed, but the original game was far to fiddly to work. the Devs have done good work on fixing it up though.

The game is starting to explode form particle effects in later levels. Growing increasingly unresponsive.

I can’t imagine how bad it must’ve been with unlimited minions.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

This was incredibly annoying till I figured this out myself

You can also micro a single dude to chop trees manually which was really nice.

You can also micro a single minion to mine individual voxels using the right click wheel interface!

Also you can direct minions to pick up wards if they are misplaced, allowing the wards to go back to stockpiles. You can also have them place a ward manually using the right click wheel interface.

I still don’t understand how to build using wood. Seems very fiddly. The tech tree is short and the enemy scaling is pretty flat so I got bored toward the end and tried to make pretty castles.

Physics for ranged units at altitude got kinda wonky. My dudes on top of a 40 unit tall tower never shot at anything but the units on a lower tower tier 20 units down did.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
That gaping hole in your back wall is such a liability.

Keep seeing the Bricktons happily run along the treeline next to the trench so not sure that it's going to provide much in the way of defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2Or5rCN_Y

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mighty Steed posted:

That gaping hole in your back wall is such a liability.

Keep seeing the Bricktons happily run along the treeline next to the trench so not sure that it's going to provide much in the way of defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2Or5rCN_Y

On it!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

You can also micro a single minion to mine individual voxels using the right click wheel interface!

Also you can direct minions to pick up wards if they are misplaced, allowing the wards to go back to stockpiles. You can also have them place a ward manually using the right click wheel interface.

I still don’t understand how to build using wood. Seems very fiddly. The tech tree is short and the enemy scaling is pretty flat so I got bored toward the end and tried to make pretty castles.

Physics for ranged units at altitude got kinda wonky. My dudes on top of a 40 unit tall tower never shot at anything but the units on a lower tower tier 20 units down did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2QyDwmMi8

Making roofs and floors with wood.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Must. Protect.Back. Passage.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things seem to be going well!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is your alchemist not able to drop bombs the mining darktron given the ammount of damage they did to your own walls

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

fluppet posted:

Is your alchemist not able to drop bombs the mining darktron given the ammount of damage they did to your own walls

Nah, they need LOS for some reason.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I put the finishing touches to the rear defenses - and I'm feeling confident I'll beat my previous record!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Shame to be losing those three dudes to a dumb mistake.

Do the enemies follow mazes or just plow right through? Seems like they generally ignore obstacles if there's a valid path to a more valuable target.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You know, there's that mesa right next to your back wall that you could be putting wards around... instead of having to wait for the wall to be completed...?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Disaster strikes. Yet again.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Oosh that was brutal.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
This game looks reasonably enjoyable, but it raises so many questions.

- What are those yellow and purple wards and what do they do? Is there any particular reason you are not using them?
- What about those things that look like paintings in the build menu? What do they do?
- Do you always have to mine everything from the top down or can you tunnel into the side of a mountain as well? If you can mine horizontally, that hillside leading to where they broke through the walls seems like a good place for a moat. At the very least, you'll get some extra resources at best it makes the corruptrons run the gauntlet of all the wards.
- Why did you let that 1 straggler undermine your walls for over 30 minutes? Wouldn't it have been easier to take him out with 1 or 2 arbalests? Or is it impossible to only have 1 or 2 bricktrons take up arms or disarm?

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
He tried in an earlier video, but it looked like the bricktrons couldn't get through the forest, and couldn't shoot through the trees either.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Ah yes, you're right. Still, I'm surprised Grey didn't just level the forest to give the sentinel wards clear sightlines to everything. It might have tempted the stuck corruptron to attack the lumberjacks and move back into range of the wards.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pea posted:

This game looks reasonably enjoyable, but it raises so many questions.

- What are those yellow and purple wards and what do they do? Is there any particular reason you are not using them?
- What about those things that look like paintings in the build menu? What do they do?
- Do you always have to mine everything from the top down or can you tunnel into the side of a mountain as well? If you can mine horizontally, that hillside leading to where they broke through the walls seems like a good place for a moat. At the very least, you'll get some extra resources at best it makes the corruptrons run the gauntlet of all the wards.
- Why did you let that 1 straggler undermine your walls for over 30 minutes? Wouldn't it have been easier to take him out with 1 or 2 arbalests? Or is it impossible to only have 1 or 2 bricktrons take up arms or disarm?

The yellow wards are lanterns, and increase your line of sight, the purple ones are not used in this mode - they are capture wards used to capture crystals in conquest mode.

There are a bunch of things that are decorative for sandbox mode, they look nice, but have no function and therefore are a waste of time to build in this mode.

You can tunnel in, but its a bit of a pain with the camera controls.

and chopping the trees down would have been a good idea!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Personally, I believe that losing the outer walls spelled your doom and we're witnessing the death throes of this castle. However it will be interesting to see how long you can still hold out.
Maybe you can salvage things by falling back to the keep for the next few waves while rebuilding your supplies and bricktrons. Perhaps after getting some more wards you may even retake the outer walls?

As far as things you did wrong are concerned, I'd argue that you didn't act British enough. :britain: There is so much unspoilt land left inside the castle walls. Chop down all the trees, build moats around every wall and spiral staircase up to the tallest mountain, clear cut the forest atop the mountain and then strip that affront to industrialism bare. :black101:

Continuing my questions: Can you tell the bricktrons to only mine a particular resource? Judging from the mine at the back door, there is plenty of iron and brimstone buried underground but most of the time, the bricktrons seem to bring back dirt and rocks instead of iron or brimstone. And really, you aren't really building any extra walls anymore so you probably need the brimstone more than a big supply of spare bricks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Panic mode has set in! BUILD A GIANT WALL!

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
For your next building game what about something like Rollercoaster Tycoon?

Feel like you could have made more use of the ability to move the wards around that someone mentioned.

Those guns on the floor of the keep around your crystal haven't had any use for the last 3 hours of play, and you probably could have saved a few from your outer walls.

Enjoying the increasing sense of impending doom!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'd like to see how long you last on small map Zuma.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Mighty Steed posted:

For your next building game what about something like Rollercoaster Tycoon?

Feel like you could have made more use of the ability to move the wards around that someone mentioned.

Those guns on the floor of the keep around your crystal haven't had any use for the last 3 hours of play, and you probably could have saved a few from your outer walls.

Enjoying the increasing sense of impending doom!

Evil genius would be a fun defense builder game

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I want to love Evil Genius so much but I've never been able to really get the traps to work. Your two islands are so small and the rooms so big that you can't rely on traps to keep out the forces of Justice. Plus, your heat rises high with just a few minutes of stealing money, your units are idiots that set off your own traps, it takes forever to train up dead units and henchmen can be outright liabilities.

Good game with bad execution

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Slaan posted:

I want to love Evil Genius so much but I've never been able to really get the traps to work. Your two islands are so small and the rooms so big that you can't rely on traps to keep out the forces of Justice. Plus, your heat rises high with just a few minutes of stealing money, your units are idiots that set off your own traps, it takes forever to train up dead units and henchmen can be outright liabilities.

Good game with bad execution

soooo the perfect game for Grey n Goons™

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

shalafi4 posted:

soooo the perfect game for Grey n Goons™

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm catching up on this LP, I'm on Castle Croctopus part 10, and it cracks me up every time a brickton tries to do construction in the middle of a battle.