Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Just hold out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

shalafi4 posted:

soooo the perfect game for Grey n Goons™

Also there’s a sequel! Maybe!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

i81icu812 posted:

Also there’s a sequel! Maybe!

I love this idea - I want to try one more run on a small map of this, then Rise to Ruins, but after that I'm definitely doing Evil Genius - I've not played it in a long time, and it needs a airing!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I guess the lesson here is that if you have a gun, it should always be firing. They sure looked pretty sitting on the keep but when they came into regular use it was already too late to help much.

Still set a new longevity record, though!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right! lets try a small map - but there are only a few pockets of resources available, so this will be hard, despite the good, defensible position!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The small map makes for some interesting problems, as I mine out every resource pocket on the map by the second video!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if you can dig up the whole land given enough time.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"I've only got so many resources so I have to be careful!"
<leaves a full load of brimstone on the ground to despawn because Grey didn't set a cleanup task at the weapon racks>

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

kw0134 posted:

"I've only got so many resources so I have to be careful!"
<leaves a full load of brimstone on the ground to despawn because Grey didn't set a cleanup task at the weapon racks>

cleanup tasks do that?

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
From what I saw, the power ward near the ditch doesn't seem to be getting any power either.
I'm guessing this is the case because the power ward looks dark blue like the ones still in storage instead of bright blue like the crystal and the other power ward that is powering the guns on the wall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think the deal is, the main center crystal and all wards actually emanate power out in a spherical zone: if you look directly top-down at that zone, you'll see its maximum extent at its equator: but if you place something above or below its equatorial plane, you need to be a bit closer in order to be in the zone.

This is one of the issues grey's had with his healing wards in previous matches, too: placing them high, the bricktrons fight on the ground, and they wind up not being close enough. I think it'll take some smart planning about exactly where your guys are likely to be fighting (a zone outside the doorways, after the corruptrons break down a door, for example) to place healing wards where they'll overlap that area, but not be vulnerable to immediate destruction by a corruptron.

I'd be tempted to create double redundancy in the power distribution network, too. Having a single power ward taken out by an invader resulting in half your red wards going down has proven disastrous. Placing the power wards on towers is a great start... but maybe especially for the line that powers entire outer defensive walls, place a second one a few spots away on its own tower?

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I think the deal is, the main center crystal and all wards actually emanate power out in a spherical zone: if you look directly top-down at that zone, you'll see its maximum extent at its equator: but if you place something above or below its equatorial plane, you need to be a bit closer in order to be in the zone.

This is one of the issues grey's had with his healing wards in previous matches, too: placing them high, the bricktrons fight on the ground, and they wind up not being close enough. I think it'll take some smart planning about exactly where your guys are likely to be fighting (a zone outside the doorways, after the corruptrons break down a door, for example) to place healing wards where they'll overlap that area, but not be vulnerable to immediate destruction by a corruptron.

I'd be tempted to create double redundancy in the power distribution network, too. Having a single power ward taken out by an invader resulting in half your red wards going down has proven disastrous. Placing the power wards on towers is a great start... but maybe especially for the line that powers entire outer defensive walls, place a second one a few spots away on its own tower?
That is probably what's happening indeed. :hmmyes:

I'm not too sure the wards on towers will be enough once the big waves hit. Just taking out 1 block is enough to destroy the ward.
Personally I would have bricked in the power wards. Although I'm not sure if they would still power anything once they are surround by walls and a roof?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grey Hunter posted:

cleanup tasks do that?
If you put in a cleanup the bricktron will gather up loose materials and put them back in its appropriate bin. I was sure you were using it, but I was screaming internally when all those brimstone shards melted and you kind of shrugged.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One of those is going down next time I play.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That is a nice looking front gate. I like that front gate.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I put in a sexy{?} tower to put fire into the corruptrons flanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I dig into the mountains for fun and profit!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
You seem to have gimped the line of sight of the wards on your front gate

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A little yes, but they can still fire when the enemy rounds the corner, and thus will be firing when the main wards are recharging. I can take that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Up goes the inner keep.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
They're all trying to quarry so either the steps down got hosed up in the last wave or your new tunnels up top cant be reached

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah one guy is stuck down a hole he can't get out of, and also the back door is now locked.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have no idea when I locked that door, but I find a solution to the stuck bricktron.

GOD SAYS JUMP!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 23, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's linking to part 5!

Also enemies getting stuck in unassailable places seems to be a theme.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I remember telling it to paste the new link....

Yeah, parthfinding seems to break every so often.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things seem to be going well - except for that tunneling bastard.....

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Angled stone towers seem to really confound the AI. You can build them high enough such that the base is behind a big wall and the wards are out of range of enemies but can still shoot down at them. Might improve the utilization and blind-spot problems you perennially face with the wards.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things get interesting in the pit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I assume the next video is your entire workforce getting stuck in the pit while they build the walls to stop them from getting stuck in the pit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Followed by a mass suicide...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also that corruptron has dug up right under the door to the main back wall, and the door is gone/destroyed. I think that means there's a way directly into the inner courtyard now? We'll see with the next wave, perhaps.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yep, captain annoying comes up right where he can make the most damage.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Those big guys are such huge pains in the rear end. They seem to prioritize tearing down walls and attacking sentries which can wreck your defenses so fast. One thing I've found that hinders them is lining the walls with statues which have both the benefit of using up some of your massive stockpiles of bricks that every castle seems to accumulate and more importantly they act as ablative armor for your walls. They seem sturdier than a regular brick and also push the corruptrons away from the walls by just that margin that lets the fiddly line-of-sight work itself out. Finally a destroyed statue doesn't end up being a stepstool for the jerks from climbing their way up to your delicious sentry wards.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Castle Story 60% off on Steam ($9.99).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

MORE WALLS!

Leperflesh posted:

Castle Story 60% off on Steam ($9.99).

At least you know if your going to like it or not!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Why do you keep making staircases that end up costing you wards,when you can just get a mook to pick up a ward and move it out of the way so you can put the other ones down?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman posted:

Why do you keep making staircases that end up costing you wards,when you can just get a mook to pick up a ward and move it out of the way so you can put the other ones down?

Honestly because I have never found the move command.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Grey Hunter posted:

Honestly because I have never found the move command.

I think its more you tell them to pick them up. Which you did in the last video for a ward on the floor in the keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman posted:

I think its more you tell them to pick them up. Which you did in the last video for a ward on the floor in the keep.

Well, that works.

GOD DAMMIT!