Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, that works.

GOD DAMMIT!

You can also tell them to put them down in exact spots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, that works.

GOD DAMMIT!

For your under the wall extension, you should probably tunnel out the corner so you can put a door on it, as the warlocks will always spawn little guys in there until you fill up the courtyard with statues.

another idea is to get rid of the trees opposite it and do another wall extension there, so you have a double wall of wards shooting the guys. you should always be trying to add more wards between waves or else you will lose your power lead and start getting punnished.

Edit: and from watching, you can deselect rock on your quaries and they will just destroy it and only get you the nice stuff.

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I now move wards. I also feel stupid.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
You do realise you can turn of collecting stone from your quarries

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, but it's seems like a waste.

I may do it to speed up brimstone collection though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As someone who recently discovered the option to turn it off, it makes quarrying much, MUCH faster since the bricktrons aren't running back to your storage every time they whack at a voxel. Keep a decent reserve of bricks, flip off stone gathering, and watch your bricktrons dig straight into the empty sky below the island in 15 minutes. (They will literally do this on the edges, I lost three assholes and was wondering how until I noticed the gaping hole where there was a quarry.) As long as you have space to dig you can sift enormous amounts of dirt and can get hundreds of iron and brimstone pretty fast.

Edit: oh yeah, you have 200 bricks. Unless you plan on recreating the Great Wall of China in scale, that's more than enough for any reasonable project given your space and time.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 31, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Edit: oh yeah, you have 200 bricks. Unless you plan on recreating the Great Wall of China in scale, that's more than enough for any reasonable project given your space and time.

Looks at carefully drawn diagrams.....

Erm.

I'm just a packrat - I don't want to waste something I might need later, but I should get over that and realize it's just stone....

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The problem, especially on a map like this, is space is at a premium. Every brick you keep but don't use is a plot of ground you can't use to move through or build or prospect. A hundred plus bricks takes up a lot of ground! So there's a carrying cost for having all these bricks. Moreover, time is not your friend; the next wave is always counting down, and time you're not spending to actively bolster your defenses makes you that much weaker in comparison to the enemies coming to assault your castle. You need wards, wards take brimstone, brimstone can only be harvested from digging a pit, that pit can be dug faster if you discard the overburden as opposed to keeping it all.

I started a new game with the aim of keeping my stockpiles low and it's a wonder how I tolerated having my bricktrons stumble over rows and rows of stored bricks that ended up never getting used, getting in the way all the drat time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I'll implicate a new strategy in the next recording session, I also want to try using digging as mazes to keep them running through my defences.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not that they ever seem to do much but is there a way to block the big guy from spawning little guys inside your walls? Or do you just have to fill up the empty spaces.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Not that they ever seem to do much but is there a way to block the big guy from spawning little guys inside your walls? Or do you just have to fill up the empty spaces.

Fill the spaces unfortunatly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Corruptrons come from another angle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

See! I can take advice!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Interesting to see the corruptrons take another approach after they went through the obstacle course you built first.
They have done so for a few waves now and I think that part is the weak spot of the castle now.

Would it not be easier to just strip mine the moat until there is no earth left to stand on instead of increasing the number of wards on the walls there? Since you've been strapped for brimstone for a long time already.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

While GH probably could stand to dig it down more -- a lot more -- you can't quite dig to air, not without basically forcing the bricktrons to commit suicide. (They'll happily commit murder and dig out that last block from under another bricktron's feet, but they won't do it to themselves.) In response the corruptrons will start digging their way through the mountain on the right and carve a different path. If the AI thinks that all the approaches are too hard, it will try to bruteforce a new one and given enough time it will; it's rare to simply rely on passive defenses on a given wave, often you either have to shoot the mob or sally out to coax them from whatever cave they're trying to carve into your floorboards so they can be properly shot.

An example from one of my games:

You can see I dug straight down into the air, which is feasible on the edges. I even took an alchemist and bombed the stairs so it's a true death pit. The corruptrons saw that, shrugged, and have carved a tunnel above that hole and I have to guard that jealously lest one of them makes a path past my defenses; you can see me trying to plug that hole but the repair should indicate how well that's working. So instead of a single choke point like I had intended, I still have a second really irritating chokepoint that ironically becomes less defensible than if I had let them walk up to the walls I was trying to block off.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Pea posted:

Interesting to see the corruptrons take another approach after they went through the obstacle course you built first.
They have done so for a few waves now and I think that part is the weak spot of the castle now.

Would it not be easier to just strip mine the moat until there is no earth left to stand on instead of increasing the number of wards on the walls there? Since you've been strapped for brimstone for a long time already.

Plan giant moat should be a go.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you dig a mine throughout the island, would the Corruptrons dig down to it?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'll look into expanding the moat in the next round of videos!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Expected those blocks to slow them down but making them completely bug out when trying to climb those blocks is also pretty nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, it buys me some nice time. Shame it doesn't seem to bug out the big guys.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
If you remove a block from the far end of each trench to make a simple labyrinth, would that make the AI try to walk back and forth through the trenches instead of climb directly over? Might make everything a bit more efficient.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

You should do something like this at your main gate instead of the rebuilding the "gets destroyed quickly tower".
(note there should be a image attachment)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thats a good idea. Shame i just commited to a new outer wall....

Well. It's not gunned up as of the last time i played, so I'm not 100% commited.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The tricky bit is that it's all forested. It's a good position to fortify but it'll take a lot of time to prepare. You may be better served only building up the front that forces a defilade corridor to the main door, a simple stepped wall built on top of the natural elevated cliff ledges.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
If you are tired of your dudes using the terrible bows over better weapons (like the crossbows), you can deconstruct the weapon rack holding the bows and they will be gone. Obviously you'll want to make sure you have enough of the better weapons to equip everyone first.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

kw0134 posted:

The tricky bit is that it's all forested. It's a good position to fortify but it'll take a lot of time to prepare. You may be better served only building up the front that forces a defilade corridor to the main door, a simple stepped wall built on top of the natural elevated cliff ledges.

Yeah. Even just a tower on that point would be good as it would fire back at the guys reaching your door.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wibbleman posted:

You should do something like this at your main gate instead of the rebuilding the "gets destroyed quickly tower".
(note there should be a image attachment)

Couldn't say if its actually viable but seems like just a wall built right along the cliff face with guns on top of it could also work to help when the enemies get close to the main wall. This is the first time I've ever seen this game though so there might be a use in funneling them into a tight entrance? And the cliff wall could be extended later on anyways.

Also Grey I'm not sure if its the wrong title or the wrong video but you have a video titled Castle Story 23 that is Fantasy General.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Couldn't say if its actually viable but seems like just a wall built right along the cliff face with guns on top of it could also work to help when the enemies get close to the main wall. This is the first time I've ever seen this game though so there might be a use in funneling them into a tight entrance? And the cliff wall could be extended later on anyways.

Also Grey I'm not sure if its the wrong title or the wrong video but you have a video titled Castle Story 23 that is Fantasy General.

Yeah, that video seems to be gone. I'm having some issues with my video editing suite atm.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, after seeing your new outer wall I think you're better served taking the time to build on that cliff instead. You're stringing out your defenses so they're no longer mutually supporting and you're inviting the corruptrons to defeating your defenses piecemeal. We see this with the tower: on the one side towards your front door corruptrons get zapped in both directions and die quickly and on the far side only those wards get to fire and they get picked off. Compact is better than spread out in this game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, but at least I have a cool new out wall!

Curses that this advice came during the largest buffer I've had since starting the game!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If nothing else an outer wall or just scattered blocks will distract them while the ones that go ahead get taken down first.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
After watching this long I'm still not sure if Corruptrons body block each other - a chokepoint from the forward wall would at least help slow them down in that way.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Corruptrons tend to travel in large clumps and yes, if there's a lot of them they can't clip into each other and will body block each other. They will neatly queue up to die pounding on your door if there's no space for them to assault the length of the fortification (similarly your melee bricktrons will cram into a door and get stuck until they die or you wipe out that wave).

The problem though is corruptrons, as the latest video demonstrates, also have a tendency to linger in the first spot they meet resistance and try to reduce that bulwark to dust before moving on. GH hasn't had a problem with the crystal guys spawning monsters inside his walls, because they are staying out of range of his door to surround and tear down that forward tower.

An interesting question might be what happens when he finishes that wall and does not add active defenses; making them queue up through that aperture might string them out a bit. Or they might take offense and try to take it down. I've seen both happen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't classify anything I say as "advice."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Grey is reaching a plateau of experience with the game that he's beginning to expose and potentially exploit serious problems with the game's enemy AI. That's basically inevitable for any game that isn't so good at enemy AI that it's unbeatable, so that's totally fine; but even though I haven't even installed and played the game yet, I'm getting pretty sure that I could effectively "beat" it irrespective of ever-increasing wave sizes/frequencies, by exploiting AI weaknesses.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One last video before I take advice and start on the second gate tower.

Leperflesh posted:

I think Grey is reaching a plateau of experience with the game that he's beginning to expose and potentially exploit serious problems with the game's enemy AI. That's basically inevitable for any game that isn't so good at enemy AI that it's unbeatable, so that's totally fine; but even though I haven't even installed and played the game yet, I'm getting pretty sure that I could effectively "beat" it irrespective of ever-increasing wave sizes/frequencies, by exploiting AI weaknesses.

Yeah, I think I can get the 60 wave achievement this time, which is the highest one. after that we;ll see if the castle is in any danger of falling soon, if not, I may wrap up and move on to Evil Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit the point were I take advice and start on the second wall tower.