Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fun fact, that's a real thing the Scots and Vikings did called the blood eagle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Thom and the Heads posted:

re: that particular sequence:

today i learned that what happened to simon is called the blood eagle which is a form of execution that may or may not have actually been performed by vikings. from wikipedia: The blood eagle is a ritualized method of execution, detailed in late skaldic poetry. According to the two instances mentioned in the Sagas, the victims (in both cases members of royal families) were placed in a prone position, their ribs severed from the spine with a sharp tool, and their lungs pulled through the opening to create a pair of "wings". There is continuing debate about whether the ritual was a literary invention, a mistranslation of the original texts, or an authentic historical practice.[1][2][3]

:gonk: that makes me, like, existentially nauseous

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Y’all should read Everything Ravaged, Everything Burnt by Wells Tower

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

feels weird this is the second film in a row I've seen Florence Pugh in where she basically sentences her lover to death and enjoys it. then again I didn't see Fighting With My Family because Paige's post-WWE descent is a lot more interesting than hanging out with her Normal For Norfolk family.

otherwise this was basically The Wicker Man for millenials. okay and well shot but the plot twists were telegraphed from a mile away.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Honestly and non-ironically my favorite part of this movie by far is how bad or secretly good the extra direction was. Virtually every scene had like half a dozen people in the background and none of them ever seemed to know what to be doing on camera. So almost every scene has people in the far distance either repeating an action, pausing for a second and then doing the exact same action again or else holding a prop which they are sort of vaguely investigating or obviously miming use of. Like there is so many scenes where you can see someone in the background just hugging over and over and over or like lifting up a wooden frame, rotating it 90 degrees then putting it back down repeatedly.

In literally any other movie this would just seem like they did a bad job, but something about it in this movie felt inspired. Like it felt perfect for a movie about a cult. Like no one 100% knew what they were doing but they were all doing it with perfect conviction. Like most cult movies have everyone super choreographed and all the cult members have a psychic connection to know and perform everything just right, this felt like a lot of people fumbling through something they recognized as really important. This movie had a bunch of scenes where way in the distance you could see a guy wearing like, a weird hat or something then people milling around them sort of appearing to be doing some nonspecific thing and that feels exactly how a real cult like this would go. Everyone knows they are doing something very very important but no one being perfectly keyed in on how it goes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm guessing the pre opening credits part is to throw the audience off their feet and create a sense of dread but I think it could start at the moment Dani got the call or maybe not show the aftermath so soon. Still digesting it but wanted to air those thoughts.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly and non-ironically my favorite part of this movie by far is how bad or secretly good the extra direction was. Virtually every scene had like half a dozen people in the background and none of them ever seemed to know what to be doing on camera. So almost every scene has people in the far distance either repeating an action, pausing for a second and then doing the exact same action again or else holding a prop which they are sort of vaguely investigating or obviously miming use of. Like there is so many scenes where you can see someone in the background just hugging over and over and over or like lifting up a wooden frame, rotating it 90 degrees then putting it back down repeatedly.

uh i think that's the point. i think the extras in this movie are very deliberately supposed to be behaving strangely and almost robotic

edit: like it's clear that there is a lot of choreography going on throughout the whole movie

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Surprised how much Joel-Peter Witkin influence you can feel in the imagery. I adored this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Thom and the Heads posted:

uh i think that's the point. i think the extras in this movie are very deliberately supposed to be behaving strangely and almost robotic

Having all the extras be super confused and unsettled seems very intentional, it seems less clear if he hand directed them how to act confused or if they really were thrown on camera with little direction to organically make everyone act strange and like they only partially know what they are doing.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Not quite correct — Ruben was wearing Mark’s face but someone else bludgeoned Josh from behind.

I could not tell who it was in the movie, but in the screenplay it was the character Ulf wearing the skin (the one who got all upset at Mark for peeing on his tree/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Never related to a character more than Will Poulter. Immediately has a bad trip and nearly ruins everybody else's good time, pisses on something he shouldn't because whatever dude, spends the whole time trying to have sex with women who have no interest in him. I am he, and he is I.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really liked this movie. I liked how slow burning it was and I really enjoyed a lot of the imagery and cinematography. The whole psychedelic effect throughout the third act of the movie, with people's faces distorting like a subtler version of the Black Hole Sun video, was really good.

Funnily enough I saw it with a friend of mine who is a huge horror aficionado and it seems like the perfect movie for him. His favorite movie of all time is The Wicker Man and his favorite film of last year was Hereditary. He thought this was one of the worst movies he's ever seen. Go figure!

My question: what was up with all the mirrors? It seems like every other shot during the scenes set in the U.S. was filmed with a reflection. Then that just stopped once we got to Sweden.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Well uhh what the gently caress was that

e: i feel the same way about ari aster that i do about yorgos lanthimos in that the killing of a sacred deer was my fav "horror" of 2017 and the favorite was ok, but not amazing and the last shot really kinda made the whole thing for me..same deal here, hereditary was my fav horror of 2018, but this was just ok, and the last shot made the movie

i'll still go see what both of these dudes do in 2020 though.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 4, 2019

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Funnily enough I saw it with a friend of mine who is a huge horror aficionado and it seems like the perfect movie for him. His favorite movie of all time is The Wicker Man and his favorite film of last year was Hereditary. He thought this was one of the worst movies he's ever seen. Go figure!

I can get someone not enjoying the movie, but those kinds of statements about movies like this always feel like hyperbole.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BrendianaJones posted:

I can get someone not enjoying the movie, but those kinds of statements about movies like this always feel like hyperbole.

To be fair he refers to everything with hyperbole. I’m sure if I pressed him on it he’d give it like a 4/10. Plus he was insanely hyped for it so the disappointment is probably adding to the extreme response.

My biggest gripe is that the characters were all paper thin. Part of why Hereditary was so effective and upsetting is that I felt for the family. This movie was about a group of assholes getting murdered (which I guess makes sense given that it was pitched as a slasher movie). But it felt sometimes like it couldn’t decide between being a fun horror movie and a disturbing, arty one.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2019

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The portrayal of Dani’s depression/co-dependence was so immediately spot-on between her verbiage (all the apologizing) and the mind-mazes of self-blame she lays for herself. My wife suffers from all that and so all that foul poo poo was just ringing alarm bells for us right away in the theatre.

It seemed like a movie about working through depression. You get the gently caress out of winter, get some heat and light, get medicated, and burn off all the toxic portions of your old life. The amount of contrasts between Dani and Christian’s awful relationship and the immediate supporting nature of the cult was striking.

A lot of the tension for me was whether Dani would survive—like, what is the nature of this cult? Are they going to kill this poor depressed girl who is just showing signs of being able to recover?

I also appreciated that Christian’s unwillingness to leave Dani was shown more directly with his willingness to gently caress over Josh on research. (He stays with Dani because it grants him power; appropriate that he dies with none. In a bear.) Immediately he tries to make the problem something Josh created, and expects Josh to sponge up the blame like Dani does, but of course Josh is too healthy for that (but too curious to stay alive).

Also the Swede both knowing the plan the whole time and really being fed up with what a poo poo person Christian was was really funny to me.

I do kind of wish they would have left the incest prophet out of it. The incest is not an issue as much as like, kind of demonizing the disabled guy. I’m not sure how specifically that was needed, other than to throw more fuel on the fire that the whole festival is a sham (as in, no forces were really present).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Sorry for caps, I'm copying and pasting my own comments from elsewhere, just gonna drop this all:

quote:

Midsommar does something very unusual for an ostensible horror film, which is that it telegraphs or plainly tells you along the way what is going to happen to these characters (very, very bad things, naturally). if you're familiar with Aster's influences (Rosemary's Baby being a huge one), or Hereditary (a film which features both the machinations of a cult and a high school class literally discussing tragic fate), and you have even a skeletal idea of what Midsommar is about - a group of classmates visiting a pagan Swedish village - you should have little doubt in your mind how this is all going to play out.

what's unusual isn't that it's predictable - plenty of films, certainly plenty of horror films, are that - but rather that it embraces its own predictability and weaponizes it, such that you're left hoping against hope that things will turn out alright while the film keeps repeating to you that, no, these people are hosed. one of Hereditary's shocks was the extent to which things end up completely bad; here, Aster is trying to downplay that shock and face the inevitable horrors head-on, wringing tension from our (and the characters') denial and unwillingness to accept reality or read between the lines of their increasingly nightmarish situation. of course, horrifying poo poo happens, and every time it does, Aster's own POV seems utterly aligned with the Swedish paganists, in defiant opposition of his own protagonists. when one of the village matriarchs rebukes her guests for freaking out after one grisly ritual, it sounds like Aster himself talking to the audience, saying, yeah, of course this was going to happen - why are you scandalized?

that's reflected in the central characters, Dani and Christian, a couple who were on the ropes before an incredible tragedy struck, and whose relationship has been limping along ever since, with neither of them willing to own up to the fact that the love has utterly gone out for them. although frankly, it's Dani that winds up with the short end of the stick, as you can see how thoroughly she's been trained by her lovely boyfriend to deflate any potential conflict no matter how righteous her anger or how valid her emotional needs for the fear that he'll simply wash his hands of it (or her). she's a hostage to his immaturity and dishonesty.

so when they're suddenly thrust into this mind-bending situation where utterly horrific poo poo begins to happen, they (and we) are finally forced to confront a horrific reality, something they're each totally unwilling to do with their own relationship.

what's equally unusual is how often Aster approaches this with a fish-out-of-water comic sensibility. the actor who plays Christian even bears enough of a resemblance to Seth Rogen in his bearded schlubby everyman-ness that it's like watching a Frat Pack film - but with a lot more crushed skulls, vivisected corpses, and ritual sacrifices. the humor - and there are seriously a ton of laughs in this film - compounds the distancing effect of knowing bad poo poo is gonna happen and still hoping it won't. as does the sunlight-and-pastels production design and cinematography, as well as the fact that many of the characters spend most of their trip, well, tripping, on shrooms or otherwise, which puts things at just enough of a psychic remove - is this weird poo poo really happening? - that they by the time they realize the severity of their circumstances, it's far too late. among its other merits, this film really nails the feeling of being just a bit too high to completely handle like few others I've ever seen.

despite all that - would you believe me if I said this film had a happy ending?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
The intro of the movie hosed me up since its a painful reminder of what my bipolar sister is going through. The rest of the movie I couldn't care less and nothing stood out. Just stick with the wicker man. I would love to see Jordan Peele's take on this. The only characters that become really disturbed by the cult practices all get conveniently killed off camera whereas i would prefer to see them become the surprise protagonist.

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 4, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

Surprised how much Joel-Peter Witkin influence you can feel in the imagery. I adored this.

JPW is my favorite photographer so this is high praise. Seeing it this afternoon and can't wait.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Captain Magic posted:

I do kind of wish they would have left the incest prophet out of it. The incest is not an issue as much as like, kind of demonizing the disabled guy. I’m not sure how specifically that was needed, other than to throw more fuel on the fire that the whole festival is a sham (as in, no forces were really present).

I think the prophet is important because with stuff like the old people suicide the cult seems to have a point, it's shocking and gruesome but they make a reasonable and plausible case that is just their culture. Learning their holy scripture is just a madman's literal scribbling is where you kinda see everything going off the rails. like we as an audience watching a horror movie don't REALLY need to wonder if it's going to be an evil cult or not. but the scripture thing is where it shifts from culturally different and upsetting cult to literally no one behind the curtain might do anything cult.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

COOL CORN posted:

JPW is my favorite photographer so this is high praise. Seeing it this afternoon and can't wait.

It gets more obvious towards the end, but still. The practical work is incredible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Sorry for caps, I'm copying and pasting my own comments from elsewhere, just gonna drop this all:

I am glad I’m not the only one who got major Seth Rogen vibes from Christian. The way he delivered his line to Dani about how shocked he was by the attestupan sounded exactly like one of Rogen’s line reads minus the rasp.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Radirot posted:

The intro of the movie hosed me up since its a painful reminder of what my bipolar sister is going through. The rest of the movie I couldn't care less and nothing stood out. Just stick with the wicker man. I would love to see Jordan Peele's take on this. The only characters that become really disturbed by the cult practices all get conveniently killed off camera whereas i would prefer to see them become the surprise protagonist.

Jordan Peele apparently wrote an effusive open letter to Ari Aster calling the film an instant classic that has surpassed The Wicker Man and that he's the greatest living horror director so, expect the ego on his next film to be through the roof.

Overall, outside of the visuals I thought this was rather weak. The characterization is shot from the get-go, we don't get much of a sense for who Dani is except that she's struggling with grief, and I guess reads a lot of books based on her apartment. Without a strong protagonist this all kind of falls part. Real pretty, but Aster needs a co-writer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is a total cop-out but I think you have to know a Dani and Christian couple (or have been in one in the past) for their characterizations to hit home but I think they are both really fleshed out and well-acted. Christian's brand of (spoilers just in case) "aw shucks I'm the reasonable one" gaslighting and emotional abuse is really well done.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think every straight woman I know has dated a Christian and one of those women happened to be sitting next to me, seeming more anxious about that than the actual horror scenes. When Dani said “it’s my fault for not reminding him” the whole theater groaned.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, this movie isn't any sort of ultra woke feminist masterpiece or anything but I feel like reading reviews a bunch of the ones that didn't like it are written by guys that are more like christian than they'd admit and to some degree people's enjoyment of the movie is gonna fall on a line divided by if you relate more to the woman being guilted into taking mushrooms or the guy guilting her and acting like she's being difficult for not.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
So, a question. was there any truth to what the Swedish guy (pelle?) said about this Festival of being something very special that they only do every 90 years? They killed 9 people, and each section of their life is 18 years, so there's something to the math there. And I just don't want to believe that they kill 4.5 of Their Own every solstice, or even summer solstice, but clearly if you turn 72 that year you're going to die, so they must at least do some part of this every year. Also the line about his parents dying in a fire seems to be evidence that this happens more often than that.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Gejimayu posted:

So, a question. was there any truth to what the Swedish guy (pelle?) said about this Festival of being something very special that they only do every 90 years? They killed 9 people, and each section of their life is 18 years, so there's something to the math there. And I just don't want to believe that they kill 4.5 of Their Own every solstice, or even summer solstice, but clearly if you turn 72 that year you're going to die, so they must at least do some part of this every year. Also the line about his parents dying in a fire seems to be evidence that this happens more often than that.

Probably full of poo poo. I figure making outsiders feel like they're part of some special ritual is helpful to convince them into participating

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
this is the painting over dani's bed at the start of the movie:

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 4, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The premise kinda falls apart if you put thought into it. she's an important part of the festival but they make a big deal about her not coming in the first place, etc etc

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

zer0spunk posted:

The premise kinda falls apart if you put thought into it. she's an important part of the festival but they make a big deal about her not coming in the first place, etc etc

i dont think the may queen needs to be an outsider. her coming along was a happy accident for them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They have photos of may queens from every single year and all the past may queens are the people helping her get dressed and stuff so may queen is just a regular old function they do every year. They have a midsommar celebration every single year and I think eating a gross fish and blessing the earth is probably as far as it goes most years. I think 90 years is some sort of confluence on their weird astronomical calendar and the reason every single ritual they seem to do was all happening at once on the same day was it being a big year. Like maybe the sex ritual normally happens every 30 years and the burning house thing happens every 45 years or whatever and this year was the lucky year it all lined up . Like it seemed way more like 90 years was special that everything was happening at once, not special that it's traditions that had never happened before in anyone's lifetimes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think the biggest problem this movie is going to have is it being sold as a horror movie.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the prophet is important because with stuff like the old people suicide the cult seems to have a point, it's shocking and gruesome but they make a reasonable and plausible case that is just their culture. Learning their holy scripture is just a madman's literal scribbling is where you kinda see everything going off the rails. like we as an audience watching a horror movie don't REALLY need to wonder if it's going to be an evil cult or not. but the scripture thing is where it shifts from culturally different and upsetting cult to literally no one behind the curtain might do anything cult.

Don’t get me wrong, I found it hilarious/crazy that all his scribbling lead to him basically creating a porno for him to watch.

Thank you for the screen cap of the bear!

Does anyone have one of the very first picture story? The image on the left-most section was a girl with her family being tied up in her intestines or her tubes! It’s directly a reference to the suicide. I completely spaced on the rest of it though. People picking flowers maybe?

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 4, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaunab posted:

I think the biggest problem this movie is going to have is it being sold as a horror movie.

Its definitely a horror comedy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gaunab posted:

That’s my sense. It’s being marketed as a grim horror when half the movie is goofy scenes of tourists stumbling around. If you don’t want comedy, as it sounds like the goon on the last page did, then you aren’t going to enjoy this.

For what it’s worth, I and my audience loved both the comedy and the horror. Someone in my row started crying at the sight of the murder-suicide because, Jesus, what a brutal portrayal of a familiar concept. Those tubes.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this is the painting over dani's bed at the start of the movie:

Having difficulties remembering specifics but Dani has a whole lot of fairy tale adjacent garb in her apartment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One of the best movies I have ever seen but man was it depressing hearing people leave the theatre

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think complaining the plot "twists" were predictable is missing the point. The point is not to surprise you with twists, but to take a pre established story and explore the emotional trauma behind it.

What makes the movie special isnt that it goes places you dont expect, it's that it goes deeper into where you have already been

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What makes the movie special isnt that it goes places you dont expect, it's that it goes deeper into where you have already been

I'd like this sewn onto a sampler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd like this sewn onto a sampler.

Only if the border is symbolic representations of genitals