Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This movie is something else. It isn’t scary in any traditional sense, but it has stuck with me all afternoon though.

The portrayal of grief and depression and how they affect your relationships hit close to home for me.

If I had to sum up how the movie affected me, I would compare two scenes:

Christian’s attempt to comfort Dani early in the movie felt so cold and disconnected. I don’t think he really felt her grief in any meaningful way. He was a boyfriend in a dead end relationship who felt an obligation to comfort Dani.

Compare that with what happens when Dani sees Christian having sex in the mating ritual. She’s absolutely heartbroken and her reaction is similar to when her family died. But this time members of the commune share her sadness and cry and wail with her.

I was originally a little confused by the ending, but when I thought back to those two scenes it made sense to me.

Dani smiled because her past life was burned away and she finally found people who were willing to feel what she felt and share her pain.

It’s beautiful but sad and disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

This movie is something else. It isn’t scary in any traditional sense, but it has stuck with me all afternoon though.

The portrayal of grief and depression and how they affect your relationships hit close to home for me.

If I had to sum up how the movie affected me, I would compare two scenes:

Christian’s attempt to comfort Dani early in the movie felt so cold and disconnected. I don’t think he really felt her grief in any meaningful way. He was a boyfriend in a dead end relationship who felt an obligation to comfort Dani.

Compare that with what happens when Dani sees Christian having sex in the mating ritual. She’s absolutely heartbroken and her reaction is similar to when her family died. But this time members of the commune share her sadness and cry and wail with her.

I was originally a little confused by the ending, but when I thought back to those two scenes it made sense to me.

Dani smiled because her past life was burned away and she finally found people who were willing to feel what she felt and share her pain.

It’s beautiful but sad and disturbing.

That's a real good analysis ehud

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you want to make a baby stop crying, cry with it

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The movie was like someone read a r/relationship story and made a script from it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One of my favorite aspects of movies like this are observing walk outs. Did anyone get walk outs? We had 7 at our screening.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One of my favorite aspects of movies like this are observing walk outs. Did anyone get walk outs? We had 7 at our screening.

We only had 6 people in our theater. On the way out the guy behind me said it was the worst movie he’s ever seen.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's a real good analysis ehud

hey Mel

thx

Henker
May 5, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this is the painting over dani's bed at the start of the movie:

The second I saw that John Bauer painting, I starting wondering if elves or trolls were going to show up later.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The director did say in a podcast that it’s a horror movie for the annoying students but a fairy tale for the grieving protagonist.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jack's Flow posted:

The director did say in a podcast that it’s a horror movie for the annoying students but a fairy tale for the grieving protagonist.

I like that a lot.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Filing under "bear not used in the manner I expected".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed 4. I wasn’t even really looking though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I remember being really worried the film would be a global warming message film when near the beginning they say it's the hottest brightest summer ever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Filing under "bear not used in the manner I expected".

And "best introduction of a bear ever"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One walk out in the theater for me. The film is completely polarizing and I wasn't surprised really. I thought it was brilliant and the best movie of it's kind since the original Wicker Man. Thank god for no loving jump scares or any such nonsense.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No one in my audience walked out, but everyone laughed at Grandma Helps With the Baby.
Mostly I was sitting through that part remembering the one (1) art history class I took for fun where the prof talked about certain paintings in medieval(? look I don't remember the history part of the art history class) Europe somewhere that would be above the wedding bed and after the wedding the whole family would stand around and watch the consummation to ensure everything was in order. I can't remember if this period in art came before or after they started depicting baby Jesus coming down into Mary's womb via strands of sunlight.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a really good theater that were definitely laughing with the movie. Didn’t catch any walkouts but I was pretty focused on the screen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So if she hadn't won the dance off would she have been toast with the rest of them, or had the cult already decided they liked her?

Also I wasn't totally clear on what was going on with Mark('s body) in Josh's death scene. Was someone wearing his face or were they holding up the maquette they made out of him in front of them? Either way it was a delightfully hosed up visual

Overall I really liked it. There were a few times it felt just a little too slow for my tastes, but that's not even really a criticism. It was basically everything I was hoping for going in and then some.

it was interesting to see some of the similarities with Hereditary even though they are wildly different movies. Ari Aster definitely has a few tricks he really likes (that I wholly approve of) .

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 5, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I had a really good theater that were definitely laughing with the movie. Didn’t catch any walkouts but I was pretty focused on the screen.

Yeah, everyone in my theater was laughing hysterically at a few scenes that will probably become infamous, but I felt like we were all laughing with the same intent. It was a complicated laugh. It wasn't at the movie. It just felt like the only response to the spectacle of all of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

So if she hadn't won the dance off would she have been toast with the rest of them, or had the cult already decided they liked her?

Also I wasn't totally clear on what was going on with Mark('s body) in Josh's death scene. Was someone wearing his face or were they holding up the maquette they made out of him in front of them? Either way it was a delightfully hosed up visual

Someone was wearing his face. I thought it was Ruben because of the heavy breathing but it’s probably the guy who yelled at Mark about the tree. Not sure who the second person was.

As far as the May Queen stuff: I thought from the moment Pelle said “I’m so glad you’re coming” that the plan was for her to be the May Queen the entire time. But I also assumed the May Queen would end up being sacrificed at the end, so when she gets a “happy” ending it kind of throws my prediction off.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 5, 2019

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

To people who have watched it: how actually scary is this movie? I'm considering going to an 11pm showing tonight and I'm really interested in it, but I'm not the best at horror movies (though I did fine at Us and Get Out).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

stratofarius posted:

To people who have watched it: how actually scary is this movie? I'm considering going to an 11pm showing tonight and I'm really interested in it, but I'm not the best at horror movies (though I did fine at Us and Get Out).

It’s very light on scares. There are some mighty disturbing images and some gore. Only one sort of jump scare and it’s telegraphed. I’m a huge baby and was fine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

stratofarius posted:

It’s not scary in a traditional sense at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah Aster movies arent scary as much as deeply upsetting

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i came away with it thinking it was about the horror of relationships more than dealing with loss or depression, though that's a part of it. christian was a bit of a poseur and i guess the thesis thing was a dick move but dani commits a bunch of relationship sins

no one left from my showing, and i'm in the south

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 5, 2019

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Saw it last night. I left the theater basically thinking. "well, that certainly was an experience." I loved Hereditary and intentionally went into Midsommar as blind as possible. Had no idea what to expect. Certainly wasn't expecting that. I think the movie had a great blend of humor, dread and just oddly disturbing imagery. Really glad I saw it in a theater to appreciate the visuals at their best. Probably about 50 people in our theater, no walk-outs.

I really loved it, but there are very few people whom I would recommend it to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah Aster movies arent scary as much as deeply upsetting

Hereditary is very scary in the traditional sense!!!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I loved this movie. Just fantastic. I am also so glad I saw this in theaters, and I was going in mostly blind. Having experienced a tragic loss, the 'winter' quarter was just so gut wrenching.

The thing I think really hammers it home for me was the sound. It was very loud in my theater and I'm glad. It was just so crushing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hereditary is very scary in the traditional sense!!!

Yeah. Hereditary is one of the few movies I've seen in years that has actually managed to spook me. Some of the imagery gave me mega flashbacks of when I used to get night terrors.

Noah posted:

The thing I think really hammers it home for me was the sound. It was very loud in my theater and I'm glad. It was just so crushing.

Man, the theater I went to had lovely sound and it sucked, because I could tell the sound design was so good. My friend keeps dragging me to AMC because he has that dumb movie pass when every other theater around is closer to me and better. Might as well drive 40 minutes to see it in a shittier theater than the one 5 minutes away from me so he can save 10 dollars lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 5, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm glad I wasn't the only person scared shitless by hereditary. The third act gives me anxiety just thinking about it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hereditary was very traditionally scary in my opinion. It loving ruled, but still.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hereditary had it’s scary moments but what made it amazing was the drama associated with dealing with grief.

Midsommar really hits home if you’ve had a trip that starts great and spirals into something terrifying. It really nails that feeling of helplessness and despair.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 5, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Three that I noticed in my screening.

This movie is so great. My instant reaction is that it's a whole movie that conjures the tone right before a jump scare in a commercial horror movie. It disarms you completely so you never feel that physical tension like you're ready for something hosed up to happen, but it also makes it clear that something hosed up is going to happen. The result is the few hits of really affecting body horror stick with you.

Florence Pugh is really excellent, but I thought all the other characters and performances kind of lacked definition. It's actually weird that this didn't hurt the film for me at all. That might be by design though, to put you in Dani's head space where she feels like she doesn't understand or relate to anyone due to her trauma and anxiety.

At the end of the movie, one guy in the theatre audibly muttered "BITCH" and a bunch of folks around him told him to gently caress off, heh.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Criminal Minded posted:

Hereditary was very traditionally scary in my opinion. It loving ruled, but still.

I had a fun conversation with a friend when that movie was released. I was looking for something to watch and she said:

“I watched a family drama with my mom the other day. It was fine.”

“What movie did you see?”

“It’s called Hereditary.”

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Back when it came out, I went back to visit my family as I do every year for Christmas, and when I saw everybody the day of, my cousin tells me that based on my recommendation on facebook, he rented a movie from Redbox to watch with his mom, wife, and little brother. I had called it the best film of the year.

Needless to say, about forty five minutes into Killer Joe, they decided it didn't fit the holiday mood and turned it off.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The audience at my viewing was laughing out loud during the scene where Dani has sex with the cult member. I don't know if that was the intention, but the movie was certainly funnier than I expected. The characters (save for Dani) were all extremely dumb though, like slasher movie level dumb. It didn't detract from my viewing. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but definitely will need some time to think before giving it a verdict.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

This movie is so great. My instant reaction is that it's a whole movie that conjures the tone right before a jump scare in a commercial horror movie. It disarms you completely so you never feel that physical tension like you're ready for something hosed up to happen, but it also makes it clear that something hosed up is going to happen. The result is the few hits of really affecting body horror stick with you.

It’s a horror movie set at night but in daylight

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What do you all think about the theory

that Pele targeted Dani from the begining and that he either worked with Dani sister to kill the family or he himself did it. people I read saying this theory say that in the parents bedroom is a photo of Dani with flowers near the frame of the photo.

It sounds like a stretch.

Also the scene of Dani crying could easily be the most accurate and real sounding cry I have seen in a long time.

the original cut of the film is 3 hours and 45 minutes long

https://www.slashfilm.com/ari-aster-interview-midsommar/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 5, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

the original cut of the film is 3 hours and 45 minutes long

I want to see this cut

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

What do you all think about the theory

absolutely not. Unlike pretty much any other movie about a cult this one seems to have no indication that the cult is actually supernatural or that the cult is any sort of massive network of masterminds. I think the cult is very happy they got the right number of people but there is no indication they did anything more to do that than send some 18-36 year olds to go ask people politely to come. I don't think they had any sort of shadow plans or anything past that. If the day was getting too close they'd probably just tell the exchange students to ask more people more nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

absolutely not. Unlike pretty much any other movie about a cult this one seems to have no indication that the cult is actually supernatural or that the cult is any sort of massive network of masterminds. I think the cult is very happy they got the right number of people but there is no indication they did anything more to do that than send some 18-36 year olds to go ask people politely to come. I don't think they had any sort of shadow plans or anything past that. If the day was getting too close they'd probably just tell the exchange students to ask more people more nicely.

Yup, definitely agree. I guess people wanted it to also go the Hereditary route of things occuring due to a plan.