Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Saw the first showing in my area and got drat did I love this. Hereditary was all shock and uncertainty, Midsommar is dread and knowing what is going to happen but not how...

Also Ari Aster is the king of smash cuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

I'm also wondering, did anyone catch what was the point of the scissors under the baby's pillow?

That's an actual real-life superstition-based practice, but otherwise just for ominous imagery IMO

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thom and the Heads posted:

are we just going to ignore the bear?

the bear was a vagina

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't get how you don't see this as a complete parallel to Hereditary

That was just a bunch of darkly lit sad family drama

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Like my initial post, this movie is simultaneously parallel and perpendicular to Hereditary -- the former was all shock, where Midsommar tells you exactly what it is going to do, and then does it

It's definitely less scary and more foreboding, dizzying, unsettling, and 'just not right'

You can dismissively phrase any scene from any movie to make it sound stupid... The idiot old man drops his stupid snowglobe and thinks about his stupid toy and dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

The inbred leader wore Mark's face when he bludgeoned Josh. Mark was the skinned body (remember, skin the fool) that Christian saw hanging. I think the breathing lungs was a hallucinogenic effect from tripping balls

Not quite correct — Ruben was wearing Mark’s face but someone else bludgeoned Josh from behind. And it was Simon who was strung up with his lungs out, not Mark.